Start by marking “Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)

Confess, Fletch (Fletch #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,156 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Confess, Fletch

The flight from Rome had been pleasant enough, even if the business he was on wasn’t exactly. His Italian fianc?e’s father had been kidnapped and presumably murdered, and Fletch is on the trail of a stolen art collection that is her only patrimony. But when he arrives in his apartment to find a dead body, things start to get complicated.

Confess, Fletch

Inspe
Published March 10th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Confess, Fletch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confess, Fletch

Cathy DuPont
What a fun ride this was.

Confess, Fletch is number two in the Fletch series and he's getting married. Again. Even after all the alimony problems he had in Fletch. Duh, it's Fletch, he won't learn.

He's been living in Italy but flew to Boston to try to locate his fiancee's stolen inheritance, priceless pieces of art including a Picasso and Degas sculpture.

Apparently he's no longer a working stiff, investigative reporter for the Chicago Times. But it's Fletch and he just can't give it up, invest
Jan
Sometimes you have to go backward to go forward. I started reading Flynn by Gregory McDonald as it is the start of another series that takes place in Boston. I had read most of the Fletch series in college when we had to choose a journalist (real or fictional) to write a report on. I read the 2 book Skylar series by McDonald a few years ago and adored it. Well Flynn was confusing me. It seemed I was supposed to already know a bit about him. Turns out he makes his first appearance in Confess, Fle ...more
Hans
Fletch was a pleasure to read. Confess, Fletch is one of those too-rare sequels that stands up to the original. Fittingly, McDonald received back-to-back Edgar Awards for these novels. Fletch and Flynn are perfect foils for each other. (view spoiler)
Will Finch
Not as good as the first book in the series ('Fletch'), but then what comedy crime thriller is? The ingenious plotting and razor sharp dialogue make it a great read, nevertheless.
JDK1962
Another re-read. Fun, especially for the introduction of F.X. Flynn(would definitely recommend Flynn to those that haven't encountered it yet).
Joshua
Reread and really liked this... Nice to see Fletch in my old Boston stomping grounds and backing being Fletchesque after his Brazilian trip... Interesting intro of Flynn, and there were times it felt like Fletch was being a little too fallible to make Flynn boosted up for the spinoff series... Satisfying if slightly out of left field ending... On!
Joel
Ah, Fletch - glib, slick and more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. Seriously, I could read McDonald's dialogue out loud all day without getting tired of it.
Matt
The book that introduces Francis Xavier Flynn, an Investigator of the Boston Police Department with a secret life. I don't remember if the secret life was in this book but if you read further into the "Flynn" series, one sees the secret life in some detail. On the surface, "Confess, Fletch" is a standard murder mystery but once one gets a couple of chapters into it, it becomes clear that this is definetly not a generic mystery.
Robert James
I'm making an effort to re-read books written by writers I consider masters. Lawrence Block, Elmore Leonard and Ed McBain fall into this category and so does Gregory McDonald. This book is short but it has great characters and a couple of plots that tie into each other. It also wouldn't be a "Fletch" book without great humor which this book has in abundance.
C.R. Richards
Fletch is more sophisticated in this book, but he's still the same old rascal. He's returned to the US from Italy after living off the...well, I won't spoil the first book for you. He does a house exchange with a man living in Boston, comes back from dinner and finds a dead girl in his borrowed apartment. Funny and suspenseful.
Mark
This is the novel where wisecracking reporter Fletch runs into inspector Flynn, his first appearence in the books of McDonald. WHile the mystery is somewhat run of the mill the two leading men snooping around and their observations and conversations make this a must-read for those folks who enjoy smart & witty dialogue.
Bill
Giving up on this. It's not that bad, per se, just not particularly interesting. I'd rather watch the slobby, wiseass investigative reporter Chevy Chase version of the character than read about the well-to-do, smarmy arts reporter version McDonald is writing.
Pygmyhippo
I really like the Fletch books. Just when I think I'm on top of everything some twist comes into it.

I just found many of the now out of print books at used book stores and have them on my shelf waiting to read.

They're mystery, witty, etc.
Dusty
McDonald wrote this follow up to his Edgar winning "Fletch" and won his second Edgar. The one and only time that's happened for a sequel.
Bryan Miller
Not as fun as the first, but still a wonderful read and a great continuation of a wonderful series.
Kate
Lt. Flynn made this thorougly enjoyable. I want to read some of Mcdonald's books where Flynn is the star.
Melissa
Might be my favorite of them all, because it's such a great battle of wits between Fletch and Flynn!
Rae
Another silly adventure with the investigative reporter Fletch. The Fletch books tickle my funny bone.
Jossalyn
meeting Flynn in this book is a delight, and chapter 29 is worth reading the book for.
Barbara
Great character interaction. Really enjoyed it. The introduction of Flynn.
Julie H.
More fun with Fletch--this time storming his way into the artworld.
Eric
Thoroughly enjoyable with some nice twists towards the end
Matt
In 1976, they were fascinated by lesbians.
John Bobo
Fun to move into unexplored Fletch territory.
Barbara
Fletch is back-funny one-liners.
Tommyb
Fiction,Edgar Award
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Noir: A Novel
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • 2 in the Hat: A Novel of Suspense
  • Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)
  • Walking Shadow
  • The Weight
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Empty Mile
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
Fletch (Fletch, #1) Fletch Won (Fletch, #8) Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3) Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9) Fletch and the Widow Bradley

“Even paranoids have enemies.” 1 likes