Start by marking “The Night of the Solstice (Wildworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night of the Solstice (Wildworld, #1)

The Night of the Solstice (Wildworld #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,196 ratings  ·  82 reviews
For years, Morgana has guarded the solitary gate between Earth and the Wildworld, a parallel universe where legends still live. She alone holds the secret of the mirrors that serve as the last surviving passage to enchantment. But Morgana has been betrayed and imprisoned in the Wildworld, and it is up to Claudia and her siblings to rescue her.
Published September 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 31st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of the Solstice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of the Solstice

Jim
When I first picked up this book I thought the author L.J. Smith was 'Little John Smith', the former tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles and that he had just branched into writing young-reader fantasy novels, but part of the way in I realized he wasn't capable of writing something this bad and that I was actually reading this chick. Once I got over my initial shock and disappointment I really tried to force myself to enjoy this book, kind of like when your wife forces you to see Twilight for t ...more
Miriam
A nice, solid, traditional kids-save-the-world adventure fantasy, featuring four diverse siblings who are randomly asked for help by a familiar when her sorceress is taken prisoner by old enemies in an alternate dimension.

There are definite weaknesses, but a good, fun first novel showing touches of imagination and humor. My favorite scene was where, instead of the traditional riddle contest, the girls have to win a game of Question against a subterranean monster.

I'm glad to have finally gotten a
Lyndsay
Maybe I'm old (I'm not really old) but I already feel this horrible disconnect between my generation and the generations after me. Its like how you wonder about your parent's musical tastes. I'm nor sure if young adults would like this book. I think that culture has moved on. I think now things are more polished, or flashier, more complicated, or more SOMETHING that I cannot put my finger on because I am 30 (see, not really old). Besides, they have Twilight for their generation. A poor substitut ...more
Izlinda
I first started reading L.J. Smith almost a decade ago. I finished all the books of the Nightworld series, The Vampire Diaries series and the trilogies: The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions. While impatient for the final Nightworld book to come out, I drifted to read other authors and series.

Recently I got re-interested in LJ Smith and was surprised to find out from her Wikipedia page she had two "companion novels" out. The Night of the Solstice being the first and The Heart of
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
The story itself was quite interesting. A group of siblings discover that magic is real and that they need to save a sorceress in order to stop a bunch of people from another world punching through the fabric between worlds and causing all kinds of chaos. Not sparkling original, I'll grant you, but still fun, and there are a thousand and one ways that story can be told in an entertaining fashion. Mixing some Celtic mythology, the hidden history of this world, and playing around with some fantasy ...more
Jordan
2,5/5

Le plus gros avantage de ce roman est devenu pour moi un énorme inconvénient : La Nuit Du Solstice regroupant deux opus en un seul, je me sentais obligé d'avaler les deux tomes en même temps. Mais, malheureusement, en terminant le tome 1, je dois me rendre à l'évidence : je n'accroche vraiment, mais alors vraiment, pas à l'histoire. Je déteste ne pas terminer un livre. C'est horriblement frustrant, mais c'est ainsi. Je peux au moins me dire que j'ai é
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

* Magic, sorcerers, flying serpents, talking foxes and lots of adventure!
* Intriguing bad guys/gals
* Wonderfully real and interesting characters
* You won't want to put it down
* Reminded me a little of Lion Witch and Wardrobe without the religious imagery. Not really the story but the way the children worked together. Very real sibling relationships.
* Fantastic opening that really grabs your attention and draws you into the story
* Looking forward to the next book in the serie
Jessica
36 books/2010

My relationship with L.J. Smith started while I was in middle school, about 1997. I devoured her books. She was my favorite author and first fandom. At the time, several of her novels were already out of print, including this one and its sequel. It was quite a feat trying to find an affordable copy. I never did. So, I was filled with childish delight when I learned that this book was back in print.

Beyond that, I was weary because I was disappointed by Nightfall. However, I was absol
Kimi
I wasn't expecting to like this book, and, unsurprisingly, I didn't. The main characters are flat and underdeveloped and the story doesn't really go anywhere.
Emma T.
[2.5/5]
Jusqu’à ce livre, je ne connaissais d’L.J. Smith que sa célèbre saga « Vampire Diaries » ; hésitant encore à ouvrir le premier tome de celle-ci car elle ne bénéficie que de peu d’éloges de lecteurs « censés », La nuit du solstice semblait donc être le bon compromis pour découvrir l’auteure…

La nuit du solstice regroupe en fait les deux premiers tomes de la saga « Wild World », l’histoire de quatre frère et sœurs qui se retrouvent au milieu d’une querelle entre sorciers et êtres féériques d
Tessa
En commençant ce livre j’avais une petite appréhension. Il me tentait énormément de par sa superbe couverture et son histoire mais Lisa Jane Smith est une auteure que je suis beaucoup mais qui ne réussit pas à me convaincre à chaque fois.

Finalement, elle assez bien réussi le pari et même si on ressent pas mal le côté jeunesse, l’auteure nous emmène dans un nouveau monde plein de surprises (qu’elles soient bonnes ou mauvaises).
J’ai retrouvé un petit côté Narnia dans l’idée de traverser les miroir
Bibliotropic
The problem with reading books intended for younger audiences is that it can be very hard to put ones mind back to the age group the book is intended for. As such, my adult mind was saying things like, "They actually expect the 'doll under the bedcovers' trick to actual fool parents?" and, "Does anyone not know how to solve that trick/riddle/game?" at regular intervals while reading Night of the Solstice.

The writing style was nothing special. It didn't stand out as particularly amazing or partic
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I came across it in the library a few weeks ago and as a big fan of L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries series I thought it was about time I branched out and read some of her other books. She seems to have a huge back-catalogue. This is a re-release as it was originally published in 1987. Even though this title is over twenty years old, it seems to have aged very well. I do think that it would probably be more suited to a slightly younger teen audience though.

The
Fantasy Literature
The Night of the Solstice, followed by its sequel Heart of Valor, were Lisa Jane Smith's first novels, targeted at younger readers, unlike her later (and more popular) horror/teen romance novels surrounding the lives of vampires, witches, shapeshifters and the like.

In her delving into the fantasy world, L.J. Smith introduces us to the four siblings, responsible Alys, normal Charles, kooky Janie and dreamy Claudia who have absolutely nothing to do with each other. All that changes however, when a
Soybean Soybean
nyeaa..it was just alright..i just couldnt help but get somewhat irritated every once in a while because the main characters didn't seem believable to me..compared to the kind of books i've read in the same genre and age bracket, this one appears to still have a lot of catching up to do..the kids are so hopeless most of the time and their adventures on the other side of the mirror were so tame and short...the author didnt seem able to properly convey the nuances of whatever situation the kids we ...more
Karen
I can't really tell if this book is a mash-up of older and classic children's books, or if it is a homage to older and classic children's books. Either way, there are strong hints of C.S. Lewis' Narnia; Edward Eager's "Magic" books; Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series, and a slight hint of The Boxcar Children.
Melanie
I really enjoyed L.J. Smith's Night World series, but I have tried some of her other books and haven't been able to finish a single one. I got further with this one than any of the others, but the characters were annoying and I just didn't care enough about the plot to see how it played out. The writing was okay, but it was like she decided that because she chose to do third-person omniscient for the POV, she didn't feel it necessary to show rather than tell what the characters were feeling; the ...more
Amy
Four siblings on a journey through a magical/parallel world to free a great sorceress who was imprisoned by an evil sorcerer. The story reminded me of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) yet different and quite intriguing. It may not be as great as Narnia or Harry Potter, but bear in mind, this is the first book L.J. Smith wrote, long before The Night World series or The Vampire Diaries. (Correct me if I'm wrong though)

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed reading the book,
Janice (Janicu)
L.J. Smith has written a few teen series about the paranormal. This book is one of her earliest works, part one of a duo of books about 4 siblings. It is geared more towards a younger pre-teen audience. The Hodges-Bradley childen are recruited by a sorceress's familiar to rescue it's mistress. The house of the sorceress Morgana is a gateway to another world and she has been trapped on the other side of the mirrors. If you liked her vampire series and her teen books I'm not sure you will also lik ...more
Maggie
Such a fun read! A great adventure story with lots of twists and turns. I really liked the characterization and the mythology in this book. The world-building was also great. I will definitely be picking up the sequel.
Jaimie
For a teen fantasy novel that was published originally in 1987 this novel does a fair job of sounding like it was written much more recently. It has a similar tone to many of the teen fantasy novels that have flooded the market in the last couple of years, even though it refrains from containing any latent romantic themes and focuses instead on protagonists who are brother and sisters. Having been re-released after the success of the Vampire Diaries tv series (and re-release of the novels) this ...more
Sehar
loved it!
all the magical innocence and wonder reminiscent of Enid blyton.
Julie Law
Nov 15, 2014 Julie Law rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Julie by: my mum
i havnt finished it all yet i nearly have amazing pure magic
Diana
A talking vixen enlists the four Hodges-Bradley children to rescue an imprisoned sorceress and prevent an evil wizard from taking over the mortal world.

I have some very fond memories of this book, and they don't quite hold up. It is still a very good fantasy read, with the classic set-up of children versus mystical beings. Janie was terribly annoying, however, and I just wanted to smack her most of the time. The action seems a little too jam-packed at times, making it hard to figure out what is
Diana

Jill
I enjoyed this fantasy story of 4 siblings who are led on an adventure to save the world by going to the world of Magic. I liked that the characters were siblings and because of time spent together their relationship was strengthened and got to know each other better. They had noble intentions and learn that the biggest mistake you can make is by not trying at all. This seemed like it would be good for a younger audience, not to scary, but full of magic and magical creatures.
VivShay
I was meaning to read this book some few years ago, but now that i finally read it I had to put my mind in a more YA state. It was a fast read perfect for my busy university life, reminiscent of my fantasy childhood. A little reluctant to read it at first because it was so juvenile. Quite a good story as to expect of l.j. smith, a little different as well because it focuses on family strengths and relationship and not romance but innocence. Excellent for young readers.
ephrielle
This is a case where one good book by an author does not reflect perfectly the state of other books by the same author.

The story wasn't terribly bad but not what I have come to expect from this author. It was so much closer to a Chronicles of Narnia spin off. All in all, the story was a bit lame and the characters a bit too predictable and weak. If this sort of story is among your favorites you might find this a tolerable read otherwise pass it up.
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 3.5

I didn't realize this book was so old because they re-published it last year, but it originally came out in '87 (which would explain some of the language.)

I really enjoyed this book. The writing was superb! Very well written! I liked that each of the siblings was very different from the other but they worked well together and complimented one another (that is, when they were on the same side).

I look forward to reading the sequel!
Emma (BelleBooks)
I love all of L.J Smith's other works, like The Vampire Diaries, Night World and Dark Powers, but unlike her other books this seemed to be lacking something I just can't place my finger on. The language was quite simple, making me think it was targeted to a younger audience.

It did however have a good story, lots of originality and imagination. The reader needs to remember this was first publish in the 1980's, so I think the story has lasted well.
Small Town Nerdy ...: The Night of the Solstice by: L.J. Smith 1 2 Jul 02, 2014 12:38PM
  • Valley Of Fear (Unicorns Of Balinor, #3)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Starlight Crystal
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • Amy's Journal (Heartland Special Edition)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

Wildworld (3 books)
  • Heart of Valor (Wildworld, #2)
  • Mirror of Heaven (Wildworld, #3)
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)

“If you can find one good thing to say about her I'll turn vegetarian!” 32 likes
“But we did it," said Alys. "We found Morgana and we helped her. How can you worry about detentions when life as we know it has just been saved?” 10 likes