Start by marking “If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat” as Want to Read:
If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat

If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  9,174 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Out on the risky waters of faith, Jesus is waiting to meet you and offer you his Holy Spirit power that will change your life forever, deepening your faith and trust in God.
Published September 9th 2008 by Zondervan (first published January 30th 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat

Amanda
I loved this book, and it couldn't have come at more perfect timing in my life! I have often felt inadequate in just about everything I do. My relationships, my job, you name it, I always feel like I'm not good enough. I am afraid of failure. However, the chapter about "seeing the wind" and learning about failure management -- and learning from failure itself -- really made me see that there is no point in worrying about it. Everything in life has risks, and the only true failure is being a "boa...more
Ellend
I am new to Goodreads but not to reading well written and inspirational books. I read this one a few years ago and it really challenges you to walk with God amidst all of the challenges in our lives. This is the kind of book that helps you look at yourself and your walk in life with a different perspective. A must read for anyone who needs a little inspiration and guidance in life. Well done.
Angela
This is an amazing book on getting past every day routines and living out your walk with God!
Emily Woodham
The first two chapters were great. The third and fourth chapter I had to sludge through, but only because I am tired of the Christian version of "find the color of your parachute" so you can serve Jesus better. They weren't bad chapters, and there is nothing wrong with people looking at their strengths and weaknesses to make better choices for vocation and avocations. My current interests are more about theology: the 2nd Coming, the Church, Works vs. Grace, etc.

The fifth chapter had some meat in...more
Josh
This book was very nicely done from start to finish...i love Ortberg's style...seriousness/sarcasm/logic combined with a deeprooted respect for Jesus...it was truly a great read...i wouldn't be surprised if its been used to inspire sermons throughout the country

I really appreciate new thoughts and this book exposed one that I never had thought before....yes peter failed when he began to sink and Jesus saved him...but it was the others...the cowards in the boat who didn't step out of the boat who...more
Tim
What could you life be if you'd just get out of the boat?

John Ortberg invites you to consider the incredible potential that awaits you outside your comfort zone. Out on the risky waters of faith, Jesus is waiting to meet you in ways that will change you forever, deepening your character and your trust in God. The experience is terrifying. It's thrilling beyond belief. It's everything you'd expect of someone worthy to be called Lord. The choice is yours to know him as only a water-walker can, al...more
Heather Lyle
Apr 15, 2014 Heather Lyle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently teaching this book at our church and it's going wonderfully and we are just now getting into chapter 2 :)
Lizzy B
I had previously read "Everybody's Normal Until You Get To Know Them" and found it challenging and inspiriting so I approached "If You Want to Walk on Water..." with excitement and high expectations. I'm not sure if it was the high expectations, or the actual mediocre nature of the book, but i found it hard to read, and although there were section which encouraged or challenged, on the whole if felt more like a long slog than life changing. It was neither good as i have come to expect of ortberg...more
MT
John Ortberg is noted as being Christian writer who writes with a wry sense on humor. That is fully in effect in this book about living in the fullness of the Christian's call to be a disciple of Christ. Many mature Christians find the actions of Peter the apostle to be both amusing and inspiring. This book centered on Peter's actually stepping out of the boat to come to Jesus centers on the inspiring portion of his spirit. The part that wholly said yes and that even though he often failed grand...more
The Men's Ministry of Denton Bible Church
Far too many of us have put our faith in a casual Christianity that never compels us to leave our comfort zones. But, deep within our hearts we know that Christ has not called us to comfort, but to an exciting, sacrificial and overwhelmingly fulfilling faith. This book will show how to step out of the "boat" of casual Christianity so that we can faithfully follow the Lord who is calling us out onto the risky, exciting waters of a remarkable life of faith.
Heather
BRILLIANT! There is no other way to describe it... I loved this book! If you've ever struggled with taking that step --- the one you KNOW you have to take but are second guessing yourself -- then READ THIS BOOK. I love the writing style of John Ortberg. He puts things in such a simple and effective way. I'm normally a fiction reader, but this was just as engaging as a fiction book.
Benjamin
Giving credit where credit is due, John Ortberg knows his audience. He knows who is going to read and why and writes to them like there is no tomorrow. He knows how to write to them in order to sell his books. Maybe he believes what he is writing, but by the style, I'd say he's just marketing.

To any serious Christologist, this book is depressing. If Ortberg was trying to convince that God is the authority, he could have done that by quoting Him more, but he quotes himself a lot more often. This...more
Mac
An easy book to read with some searching questions at the end of each chapter. This book was an epiphany for me particularly Chapter 8 on Focussing on Jesus. Not just explained as theory but practical steps. A good small group resource, we're doing it in our group at the moment.
Joni
Inspirational & motivational. A good nudge to both acknoweldge gifts/talents you've been given as well as to pull them out of the bottom drawer and get to using them, as was intended for you.
Darin
Really awesome book about the power of stepping out on faith. Its great reading, and I highly recommend reading it with a patner or small group to discuss each chapter.

GREAT BOOK CLUB Reading.
Judy
It challenges the idea that living the Christian life is dull and boring. It's the adventure of a lifetime (make that an eternity!) if you're willing to leap out of your comfort zone.
Tim Chavel
What a great read! If you want to be motived to serve the Lord and to grow in your faith then this is the book for you. Using the story of Peter walking on the water to Jesus Ortberg teaches lots of practical godly lessons for believers today. I have listed several quotes below that spoke to my heart. I hope they will also encourage you!

There is a consistent pattern in Scripture of what happens in a life that God wants to use and improve:
• There is always a call. God asks an ordinary person to e...more
Todd
A really excellent book. Ortberg is a Baptist minister but he successfully avoids denominational divisiveness by focusing on a discussion of practical Christian living, built around the Gospel story of Jesus walking on water. Ortberg focuses on discerning God's call to risk-taking and attempting to live out God's plan by God's grace that a person would otherwise be incapable of doing on his/her own. Ortberg also covers moments in a person's life when things aren't going well spiritually, what it...more
Matthew
4.5 stars. I enjoyed this book. Ortberg kindly challenges readers to take Peter's example and step out of the boat. This message is especially powerful if you are considering making a change in life or stepping out of your comfort zone.

This book is more than just a boost in confidence, though, it's also a great reflection on the person of Jesus. By the end of this book you are invited to experience the Gospel in even deeper ways.
Joshua
Challenging, inspirational, Biblical, humorous, full of illustrations - this book was an outstanding read! I enjoyed it thoroughly. There were times I was literally laughing out loud at some of the personal illustrations of the author. At other times, I was quite convicted by some of the truths brought out and applied.

Every Christian would benefit from reading this book. I highlighted dozens and dozens of illustrations, quotes, and points made throughout the book that spoke to my heart.
Dale
A Great Bible Study

Published 2001 by Zondervan
220 pages.
10 chapters with a Preface.

John Ortberg does not specialize in deep, seminary-level Bible studies. He is perfectly able to operate at that level, I am sure, but that is not the way to reach the common man or woman and this is a Bible study aimed at the regular church-going Christian that feels like he or she should be doing more (whatever that may be) and trusting in God for help in doing whatever that "more" is. The inspiration for the boo...more
Emily
It's Ortberg, need I say more! His writing style is conversational and interesting. He doesn't go into long dissertations, he focuses on what he believes scripture mandates for a believer in Christ to become. Very well done.
Aaron Smith
A very good book by John Ortberg on realizing how we face life's obstacles and challenges is not new to humankind. By looking back at the story of Jesus coming to the disciples in the middle of a storm, and Peter getting out of the boat to walk on the water with him, we can see that there are many similarities between how we initially react to challenges: from being fearful, to wanting to run before we can walk, to learning to listen to God's direction, to doing something no one else is willing...more
Diane
Such a great concept…have used this in Sunday school class and tried to apply the idea of stepping out boldly in faith because the rewards are great. Ortberg is a talented writer and theologian.
Linda
This book definitely challenges you to "get out of the boat". I've always wondered what it would be like to literally walk on water, but John Ortberg explores stepping out of our comfort zones to "walk on water" in everyday living.
~sallie
This is one of my favorites! After reading this book, I had the courage to do somethings I thought I could not do. The author writes in a conversational tone and is not "preacher" I absolutely recommend this book.
Caylene
We are reading this for our LifeGroup study with some other couples. I have only read the first 3 chapters and so far so good. Ortberg is a former pastor at Willow Creek Church in Chicago. He is a fantastic storyteller and this is a good inductive study of Matthew 14 when Jesus and Peter walk on water. Ortberg relates that event to our present day lives and stepping out in faith - getting "out of the boat" for Jesus. This is by no means an intense book and you will have no spiritual revelations...more
Adam Cain
This is a well highlighted keeper on my have read and will refer to collection of books
Earl Baugh
Great book! I also saw him speak right after this came out, at Promise Keepers!
What is the central concept that you derived from your reading? 3 17 Sep 14, 2014 07:17PM
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • Just Like Jesus
  • Where Is God When It Hurts?
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • Loving God
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Breaking Free: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God's Best Version of You Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?

“Failure does not shape you; the way you respond to failure shapes you.” 2 likes
“Failure is not an event, but rather a judgment about an event. Failure is not something that happens to us or a label we attach to things. It is a way we think about outcomes. Before Jonas Salk developed a vaccine for polio that finally worked, he tried two hundred unsuccessful ones. Somebody asked him, “How did it feel to fail two hundred times?” “I never failed two hundred times in my life,” Salk replied. “I was taught not to use the word ‘failure.’ I just discovered two hundred ways how not to vaccinate for polio.” 2 likes