Start by marking “The Other Girl: A Midvale Academy Novel” as Want to Read:
The Other Girl: A Midvale Academy Novel

The Other Girl: A Midvale Academy Novel (Midvale Academy #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Molly McGarry is about to learn that the only thing more traumatizing than spending six months trapped in your boyfriend’s head is being stuck inside your ex-boyfriend’s new girlfriend’s head. After Molly dumps Gideon because she thinks he’s lusting after some one else, a game of spin the bottle leads to a kiss between Gideon and the beautiful, sexy Pilar Benitez-Jones. S
Published October 26th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Girl

Debbie
Nov 02, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Other Girl is the follow up book to Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn. Molly McGarry has been in the mind of her boyfriend, Gideon, for about six months now. While on one hand this is great because she can anticipate his every desire there is also the downside of over hearing him checking out their beautiful classmate, Pilar. When Molly’s jealousy gets the better of her she ends up breaking up with Gideon and then watching as he hooks up with Pilar. Suddenly Molly finds herself out of Gideon ...more
Liana
Jul 03, 2012 Liana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abismal. Seriously, horrifyingly bad. I honestly don't even know why I finished this one. Crap writing, crap story, couldn't care less about the characters and their ridiculous problems, and on top of that load of crap, there was a pointless amount of sex and vulgarity. Frankly, the quality of this book is in the negatives.
Jessica Lawlor
Oct 09, 2010 Jessica Lawlor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
In The Other Girl by Sarah Miller, Molly McGarry and Gideon Rayburn have been happily dating for a few months now. They are happier than ever thanks to Molly’s ability to adjust herself to Gideon’s every want and need. Yes, Molly is still inside Gideon’s head. Everything is perfect until, in a moment of intimacy, Molly sees that Gideon is picturing Pilar Benitez-Jones, the most beautiful girl at Midvale Academy. In a rage, Molly breaks up with Gideon and heads home to Buffalo for a school break. ...more
Skyqi
May 17, 2016 Skyqi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly is a prep school student that is in madly love with her boyfriend Gideon. She has a secret. She is inside his head, meaning she can see and hear everything he does and knows his thoughts. She's been using this advantage to make him fall in love with her. She achieves her goal but is still insecure and when he thinks of school beauty, Pilar, during a private moment, she breaks up with him. The problem is she is still in his head and he starts to get much closer to Pilar. Molly's ability is ...more
The Readings of a Busy Mom Riaz
www.thereadingsofabusymom.blogspot.com

The Other Girl is written by the author of Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn: A Midvale Academy Novel which is a prequel to The Other Girl. There was no need for me to read Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn as The Other Girl does no start off from a point in the previous book, its strait into a new chapter its self explanatory in its own way, but me being my own person couldn't resist the 1st in the pair as it is what sometimes gives you a better understandi
Tia
Mar 10, 2015 Tia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I like the book. I think when most people read the book they read about boarding school and sex. it's way deeper than that. it's about a girl who realizes don't judge a book by its cover and believe a person has it all together. people have their own problems that you know nothing about. molly learns to be herself and it doesn't matter what others think or want. it's about her and what she wants.
Kelly Hager
Spoilers for the first book, so if you plan on reading it, be aware. :)

When last we left Molly, she’d started dating Gideon. (In the first book, she somehow got sucked into his mind on the first day of school and fell for him.) In this, things are going really well until he starts thinking about another girl while they’re making out. So she breaks up with him. On the plus side, she manages to get out of Gideon’s head…unfortunately, where she goes is inside the mind of the girl he has a crush on.
Nichole
It was on bargain books and I really like these kind of story themes where the boy cheats but then wants the girl back but it kinda creeped me out how Molly was inside Gideon's head then got flung into Pilar's, Gideon's new girl, mind. Although I have not read the first book, I catch on the story pretty well.
Carolyn
Dec 12, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
** 3 1/2 Stars ** I read the first Midvale book "Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn" a few years ago and gave it 4 stars. This one focuses on Molly and Gid and of course the always gorgeous Pilar. This time though instead of just being in Gid's mind, Molly is bouncing back and forth between Gid and Pilar. Gid, the love of her life, and Pilar (most beautiful girl at school)are now dating...DATING! In a moment of haste and jealously Molly breaks things off with Gid and basically pushes him into Pil ...more
Tina
Jan 30, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
I actually read this book before I read the first one. When I compare it to the first book, this one is definitely the better of the two.

'The Other Girl' is much more intriguing and original than the first.

At first, I expected the antagonist to be portrayed as a manipulative shrew who is only going after Gideon because she wants to rub it in the protagonist's face but instead, Sarah Miller makes the reader like the other girl and see things from her point of view.

Plus, we weren't listening to Gi
Lisa-Jaine
Nov 20, 2015 Lisa-Jaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first book in this series, but I absolutely loved this one. It brought back all the characters from the first series and had quite a few little twists and turns. Its hard to say too much without providing spoilers, so I will just say I loved it.
Jayse
Aug 08, 2014 Jayse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the plot in this one better than the first, just way too many stereotypes and the ending was sorta romantic but of course she ended it with a inappropriate sexual way.
Taliyah
Mar 15, 2015 Taliyah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting to like this so much. But god, I loved it. I loved this even more than Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn. I think everyone should read these 2 books, even if you are a little more judgemental with books.
Nicole
Dec 04, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequal to "Inside the Mind of Girdeon Rayburn",and the like the first one; it is an easy relateable read. With her talent of being able to not only speak, but also understand the teenage language and mind; Sarah Miller easily kept my attention. In this book the main character,Molly, dumps her boyfriend because he is constantly thinking about a girl who she thinks is prettier then her. I can relate,because I have also had many times when I was self consiouse when a prettier more ...more
Madison McVeety
This was a non thinker for me & I wanted a quick read. I didn't read the first book and thought the story line was pretty mature for these kids. Which whatever I didn't mind. It was a cute story
Sara
Aug 09, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 1000-before-30
This is the sequel to the book Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn which I suppose you wouldn't have to read first, but I do recommend it. These books are pretty dang raunchy for high schoolers and sort of make it seem like high schoolers are always going around having sex with tons of other high schoolers (and the occasional college kid) but otherwise they're funny and interesting if you're in the mood for a light read. Even my little brother liked them, and he pretty much only reads historical/p ...more
Alana
Aug 19, 2010 Alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, Molly reveals herself as being inside Gideon's mind. They're dating, but when in the middle of a kiss, Molly catches Gideon thinking of a girl named Pilar in a white bikini. She instantly breaks up with him, and he's majorly depressed, until he and Pilar go to a party together, and kiss. Then Molly finds herself in Pilar's mind, and can't seem to get out!! Will she be forced to listen to the thoughts of a self-obsessed Spanish fashionista forever?!
Jasmine
Jun 12, 2010 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ya-older, favorites
The follow up to "Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn" this book is funny and gives much more insight into the characters this time around. There aren't as many antics/camera time from Cullen & Nicholas as with the previous book which is a bummer but the scenes they are in are still enjoyable.

I liked this book, maybe even better than the first if only because you're no longer trying to figure out WHO is inside Gideon's head but how and why.

Caroline
A lighthearted book that deals with strange mind-reading...
The main character can read her boyfriend's mind, then she can read his new girlfriend's...and she can't figure out why. But there are numerous subplots that all make sense. It's very well-written and funny, though the ending is pretty bad. I liked reading about all the characters but never so much that I didn't want to read it when it switched to another character.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly, a student at a private boarding school finds herself in the head of her boyfriend--really! She can hear his thoughts, knows what he wants and likees and dislikes. While this may seem like a dream come true - it isn't and Molly finds herself in the head of someone very unlikely. A creative boarding school story, which would make a great companion book to Green's "Looking for Alaska".
Kimberly709
Nov 02, 2010 Kimberly709 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is graet. its about a girl who can read her boyfriends mind and grant him his every wish, every desire(EVERY DESIRE) And once they break up, she is suddenly reading Pilars mind(the girl who adore her boyfriend-now ex) and when her boyfriend is now dating pilar, she will do anything to get him back. but when she becomes friend with pilar, she doesn't know what to do! GREAT BOOK!!!
Michelle Arrow
I hated this book! I found so many grammar and spelling mistakes that I barely could stand it! I wanted to take a pen and change it! The plot was stupid and the story was confusing in whose talking or whose thinking or speaking. Sarah Miller, I understand why I got this in the bargain section.
Petra
Jan 08, 2013 Petra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read...funny...I didn't even realize that this is a second book... Now that I read this and the book being only ok....no desire to read the first one... Anyway....not a complete waste of time but certainly not a re-read.
Crystal
Everyone has their own thoughts, and sometimes that should be kept to themselves. There are about 1000 thoughts circulating someone's head at any given moment, and it's not always a good idea to want to know what someone is thinking.
Rhiannon
This novel had potential but fell short consistantly thru the entire thing. The main character was annoying and immature, and the story's abrupt ending left me wishing for all those days back i wasted on it.
Justine
molly switches from gideons head to pilars than back and forth molly learns how it feels to be beautiful and keep an appearance for others while dealing with the brake-up with gid
Vanessa Wilkinson
This book I would have to say is quite the book to read it has heart throbbing remarks on relationships and how you should handle the situation of your boyfriend thinking of another girl.
Naomi
Feb 02, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-favourites
I like the idea for this book. Pretty cool to actually read your bf's mind and your potential rival's.
Stephanie Schoots
May 26, 2013 Stephanie Schoots rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible read... Not worth my time. Disturbing amount of sex, drinking and drugs for 16 yr olds!!
Natalia
Aug 29, 2011 Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn, and it wasn't a disappointment.
  • Catch
  • Holy Smoke
  • Bang, Bang, You're Dead!
  • Girl Stays in the Picture (Girl, #1)
  • Grosse Pointe Girl: Tales from a Suburban Adolescence
  • It's Not All About You, Calma!
  • In the Name of God
  • It's A 50/50 Thing
  • Devious (It Girl, #9)
  • I Did a Bad Thing: The #1 Bestselling Author
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Love Letters
  • Tessa in Love
  • Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend (Belle, #1)
  • Cherry Heaven
  • Before, After, and Somebody In Between
  • Crossed Wires
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux

SARAH MILLER is the author of Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn and The Other Girl. She lives in Nevada City, CA.
More about Sarah Miller...

Midvale Academy (2 books)
  • Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn (Midvale Academy, #1)