Start by marking “The Blue Knight” as Want to Read:
The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,075 ratings  ·  35 reviews

Ex-cop turned #1 New York Times bestselling writer Joseph Wambaugh forged a new kind of literature with his great early police procedurals. Gritty, luminous, and ultimately stunning, this novel is Wambaugh at his besta tale of a street cop on the hardest beat of his life.

Twenty and two. Those are the numbers turning in the mind of William "Bumper" Morgan: twenty years on

Mass Market Paperback, U.S. Paperback Edition, 320 pages
Published 1973 by Dell Publishing (first published February 28th 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Knight

Checkman
A good solid piece of police fiction and is arguably one of Joseph Wambaugh's most famous works. Bumper Morgan is a career L.A.P.D. police officer. A twenty-year man who has never done anything, but work patrol. While over-invested in his work ,and not above taking free meals from restaurants in his patrol area, he is also an honest cop (he sees the meals as being something that the owners want to do for him. He isn't given the meals in exchange for breaking the law. For Morgan there isn't any c ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Dec 15, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book was on a list of recommended mysteries, and was found in the mystery section--yet I don't think it really belongs there--both because this is no whodunnit, but also because it transcends that genre. We follow "Bumper" Morgan through the last three days of this beat in 1970s Los Angeles before he retires after 20 years on the police force.

And it's a great voice for a great character. Bumper is both cynical and idealistic--a knight with slightly tarnished armor--he feels very real. He's
Bruce Snell
This is something of a companion piece to Joseph Wambaugh's The New Centurions which told the story of 3 officers at the start of their careers. In this, the second of Wambaugh's books about the LAPD we meet Bumper Morgan a beat cop with three days left to retirement. The story is told as a first person stream of consciousness by Bumper as he goes thru his last days as a cop.

For me Bumper is a difficult person to like. It would be easy to say he is not a very good cop - he takes something from
Sandi
The author was still working as a policeman when this book was published so I felt like I was getting the true inside story of walking a beat in L.A. during the early seventies. "Bumper" Morgan is a larger than life character and this chronicle of his last few days walking a beat before retirement really showed both the highs and lows of police work.
Jack Huber
I didn't want this book to end.
Jack
was good in is day, but just okay now
Anita
This was a simple cop story. This story was about the last three days of Bumper Morgan's "beat". His beat, how the street changed over time and how he changed over time. The story was from back in the '70s, as such, I enjoyed catching on to all the slang. Interesting to see how some parts of the judicial system surely haven't changed. I thought when I started I might not finish... next thing I know, I've reached the end. Good story, great character.
Nancy Day
This is one of Wambaugh's best written novels, in my opinion. I enjoyed the book, although it's difficult to experience with the character his challenges in his job that affect his personal life and physical health. The main character is complex, and the narrative is true to his personality and experience. Supporting characters are diverse and well-drawn.
Baldurian
Ho apprezzato Il cavaliere blu. È verace, scorretto in alcuni punti, ingenuo in altri, indubbiamente fazioso all'inverosimile... però è stato impossibile non provare un po' di affetto per il poliziotto Bumper e per il suo mondo. Per essere il mio primo romanzo di Wambaugh sono rimasto piacevolmente sorpreso.
Bayh
This is a good, simple cop novel that features an interestingly drawn main character. It is simplistic though and you can see the end coming from a mile away. Also, I got tired of the word "beat" by the end of it. But overall not a bad way to spend a wintery day.
Barbara Maki
Gives the reader insight into the life of a cop. Wambaugh gives you the good, bad and the ugly that only a cop would have experienced. One of the things I like about Wambaugh's books as the stories take place in Los Angeles and I can identify with the geopgraphy.
Joe Stamber
A fascinating insight into an experienced cop... chats to people... has lunch... sits down... stands up... chats some more... you get the picture. This was like the diary of someone who records everything they do, no matter how banal. Boring beyond belief.
Joe  Noir
I liked this one quite a lot. This was from my Wambaugh period when I was reading everything of his I could get my hands on. There is a very well written scene with Bumper Morgan and a judge, but I especially liked the ending.
Joyce McKune
The last 3 days before retirement after 20 years on the beat. I didn't love Bumper the way I love Harry Bosch. Must be a generation gap. Will try a later book to see if it's more to my liking.
Scott
Don't know how much you can like a book centered around such an unlikeable, piggish charachter, and everything they build up through the whole book pretty much just implodes at the end.
Stephan
I really enjoyed reading this tale of an enthralling character Bumpy Morgan. He served his 20 years and is now retiring. What happens his last week on the job? read it.
Fredrick Danysh
As a twenty year police veteran "Bumper" Moraan is two days from retirement. The streets of Los Angles force him to face his personal demons.
Karen
Good, gritty novel about a street cop chasing crime while thinking about changing his life. Dated here and there but this is easy to overlook.
P.e.
Reading this book when I was growing up reminded me of when cops walked the beat& everyone knew him. Also the reason I wanted to become one.
Peter Moloney
Great descriptive read, you could smell the streets, hear and see the action. Dated, full of great gritty lingo. A bit disappointed in the ending.
Dave
Excellent story lines throughout the book, varying perspectives and observations of LE due to the location and background of characters.
UpstateNYgal
Read this book ages ago liked it a lot.
Wambaugh is a very good writer and peaked my interest in reading at an early age.

Kevin
Joseph Wambaugh writes the best cop books out there. This one is just as good as Choirboys or The New Centurions.
Grace
finally finished. Ambivalent about how much I liked it. Ultimately it saddened more than intrigued me.
Rhonda
Interesting book, primarily because it is so dated! His later books are far superior.
Michael
Interesting, decent read, but somehow it seemed to drag for me.
Brian Lee
another fun true-to-life cop novel from Wambaugh.
Steve Shilstone
'Bumper' Morgan is one fine character, Joe.
  • The Steam Pig
  • Timothy's Game
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • On the Yard
  • He Died With His Eyes Open
  • Sabre-Tooth (Modesty Blaise #2)
  • Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October Clancy, 2 volume, boxed set
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Black Light (Bob Lee Swagger, #2)
  • The Chatham School Affair
  • Invisible River
  • Above Suspicion
  • Stone Garden
  • A Swell-Looking Babe
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M ...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...
The Onion Field The Choirboys The New Centurions Hollywood Station (Hollywood Station, #1) Hollywood Crows (Hollywood Station, #2)