Start by marking “Necking” as Want to Read:

A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published August 25th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published August 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Necking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necking

Jul 06, 2009 Cathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I give up. This book just isn't worth the time when I have so many books I'm eager to get to. I like the concept for far. I was enjoying the main character's role in book publishing/publicity; it's interesting to see how that works, especially knowing that the author did that professionally for many years. But that makes the problems with this book even more annoying. First of all, I'm only 72 pages in and there are many editing errors with punctuation and spacing. There are often odd paragraph ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Why I read: Received from publisher for review.

Favorite Quote: “I’m part of the gallon club at the New York Blood Center.”
”Yeah, baby, talk dirty to me.”

Gia Felice is a publicist for Speculation, taking care of authors needs in the fantasy and horror genres. The quirk to her job is that many of her authors are vampires or werewolves, although their readership has no idea. To say Gia keeps late hours is an understatement. She really loves her job though and has quite a knack for keeping her sup
Aug 16, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of light, paranormal fiction
This is a fun sort of chick lit/paranormal romance hybrid that reminds me of Twilight meets Bridget Jones. However, I don't have it in me to accept a grown woman who enjoys her life wanting to give it all up (particularly her family and career) for the love of a sexy vampire, so the book fell a little flat for me. Gia, the heroine, is a book publicist for Speculation, a publisher specializing in science fiction, fantasy, and horror whose authors include actual vampires, werewolves, and aliens. J ...more
Aug 14, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom
Aug 26, 2008 Ardis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to finish this book, but I don't know why. It happens to be one of the worst books I've ever read. The dialog, which is supposed to be flirtatious and funny, is stiffer than a petrified tree, the word bitch is used far too often (and spicing it up with beyotch doesn't count),and the love affair is boring and inexplicable.

And now I'm done. This book was Craptastic.
Seriously. There's a love story with no love, witty repartee w
The BookWhisperer
Nov 13, 2009 The BookWhisperer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly funny and very fast paced. A very unique story of a publicist for a company that works with those of the supernatural society. Giovanna finds that she is attracted to one particular clients manager, after tremendous effort to avoid this manager she finds that it is not just herself that can no longer look the other way. Gia will need to make a decision that will cost her everything, and will she be able to make that sacrifice? [return][return]This is the first book I read by Chris Salv ...more
Oct 11, 2014 Darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, pnr, vampires
This was a cute little book, fun to read, but one that will be forgotten. The premise was cute, a publicist working at a PR company that has "real" paranormal clients. The whole tongue in check part is what really worked for the book. Gia and Lola's friendship was so much fun, those 2 girls really knew how to let loose. Johnny was different, I liked him, then hated him, then liked him, sort of like Gia. The group of people that they all had in their circle of friends were fun too.

If you are look
Apr 18, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am amazed that this is Ms. SSalvatore's first novel. She did a WONDERFUL job with every character and the plot.
It's about a publicity agent for books. The main character gets to work with all types of authors, humans, aliens, werewolves, and vampires. Silly woman even ends up in love with a vampire. There is a bit of an issue since his love is killing her slowly...making her bleed from across the room. Such things are unheard of but I suppose love really does bite in the end.
Oct 27, 2010 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get past the first half of the book. The mystery and intrigue that's supposed to be in the book wasn't there - it kept focusing on the love story. Which is fine, but it was a pale imitation of a lot of the love stories in this genre. If you want fluff and a predictable ending (yeah, I flipped to the end and the last chapter was exactly as expected), read this. If you want something fairly decent in the urban fantasy genre, don't waste your time.
Aug 25, 2010 Jaye rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just. Terrible. I wanted to take a red pen to the thing. I mean, seriously, the amount of typos and grammatical errors were practically insulting. And what's with everyone, EVERYONE liking this girl? Is it because it's explicitly commented on time and time again that she has double Ds and sleeps around? I only wish I had stopped reading it…but unfortunately made it all the way through, and then was disgusted with myself for the time I wasted.
Apr 08, 2011 Neal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books I've read in a long while. The character development is incredibly superficial and nearly every chapter has some reference to how horny the protagonist is or how much sex she wants to have. The antagonist and real conflict isn't introduced until later in the story (almost as an afterthought) and the resolution to the conflict is once again superficial and poorly executed. I would not recommend this book at all.
Mar 06, 2009 Viva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
This is 1st book from this author & I think she did an ok job. It is very modern, even name dropping the Olsen twins & Paris. It is pretty funny & witty making it a fun read. The language can be very raw, but the way the main character talks to her friends is believable for our time. Her take on the supernatural world is not that creative though. I think the plot is missing a huge chunk at the end of her 'change' and after.
Tiffany Loves Books
OK... This book was over the top, not well written, anti-climatic and VERY predictable. There were a few chapters that were very good, as far as story line... But if I weren't the type that commits to finishing a book once I've started, I would of stopped after the second chapter.

I'm not slamming Chris Salvatore as a writer because she has potential. But this book was definitely lacking. Wouldn't really recommend.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I was looking forward to reading this - a fun premise I figured it would be a easy read. I liked the characters and it was entertaining , it just missed the mark somehow. I am not sure if it was the pacing or some clumsy editing that detracted from the humor of the entire thing. I could definately see the potential with tighter editing, it would be interesting to see a second book with the same charcters.
Oct 05, 2012 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Was it one I just couldn't put down... no. Was it a book that really made me But it was good enough to keep my attention, and it was good enough for me to recommend it to anyone wanting a book to snuggle up with on a cold winters evening, or read on a sunny beach. This book will not change your life but it will help you while away a few enjoyable hours.
Sep 03, 2008 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. It was the first book I've ever read about vampires and other supernatural beings and I can now see why paranormal romances are so popular. Truthfully, I have to say it did take awhile for me to get into the book and some of the lines were kind of corny. It did get better toward the end and I think the author's writing will be stronger with future novels.
Aug 30, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had low expectations, and was still stunned by how bad this was. By far, one of the worst books I have ever read. Pathetic, cliche, and just oh so bad. I had to keep reading just to laugh out loud at the dialog, descriptions, and absurd plot. I knew it wasn't going to be great, but it was so horrible that I just can't stop laughing at it!
Amanda Maria
I managed to read a few chapters into this book. It may have ended up being a good book, however, I have read so many paranormal romances it felt like I was re-reading the same stuff. It would have been a quick simple read but it bored me. I may come back later and try to re-read it when I am more in the mood for a predictable paranormal romance.
Greenlee Malachite
Jan 10, 2011 Greenlee Malachite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone xx
I don’t get why a lot of people didn’t like this book I thought the book was superb.
I love the characters and the plot it was different. This book was funny, dark& sexy
I’m in love with and Jonathan character. Jonathan was witty, sarcastic.& Funny
He reminds me or Eric Northman… but the black hair version.
May 19, 2010 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
Officially went from an almost 3 to a 2 when this line came up:
"I wondered if a love story between a saucy publicist and a dashing vampire would sell."

The author is a book publisher who is writing about a vampire and a publicist who is thinking about writing about a vampire and a publicist.

Jan 24, 2010 Zipporah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampirezz
i love this Gia's and Jonathans love was so great i love how she is very upfront about thingz but also alitte scared about something. Jonathan is the ideal vampire boyfriend next to Edward Cullen. Who doesn't want flowers and stuff deleivered to them? and somebody willing to do a number of thingz?
Jan 22, 2011 Irinak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and funny vampire love story. Gia, New York book publicist who works for the company that specializes in representing undead, weres, witches and aliens authors falls in love with the very sexy vampire manager of her new bestselling vampire author. The book is fast and pretty enjoyable.
this book was like a train wreck, You see it happening and you cant look away >.< Nothing in this book made a lick of sense, But i loved Gia. She was so ridiculousness inappropriate that i loved her alot. If Gia wasn't such a likable character i wouldn't even have finished this book.
Jackie Faust-moreno
This title was fun, easy reading. I liked the premise however, I kept hoping that the heroine would change her mind and find another way to solve her love dilemma.
The characters were likable and I enjoyed the friendly interaction between vamps, humans, and werewolves.
Aug 05, 2011 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too shabby for a first novel. I thought it was a fun read and entertaining. Granted, I almost quit reading after the first 2 chapters because I was bored, but I stuck it out. I'm glad I did too because how often do you find a book where an English major is the heroine? :)
Aug 21, 2015 FrogQueen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
The story was good. Even chuckle worthy with the right sense of humor. The problem with the book was with the punctuation, specially with lack of and placement of quotation marks throughout the book. I found it very destracting and frustrating. Where was the editor???
Kris Hilliard
I loved all of the characters in this book, the sarcasm in the writing, wit and character development were really humurous. It was a sexy vampire novel with a lot of modern elements in the book to make me want more...! Can't wait for the next one!
Holly Booms Walsh
Silly chick-lit romance about a publicist in New York that gives up her life to join her vampire boyfriend as a vampire. Her best friend is a werewolf. Silly surface steamy fun, as long as you don't ask for anything more from the book.
Feb 20, 2011 Anika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, funny, not original but yet a different view point about a romance between a human and a vampire. The scary scenes happen quickly and over just as fast but I guess the main plot these two finally being together.
May 21, 2011 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of necking for a title, it should have been called sucking. Even though I bought this book in the clearance rack. I still forced myself to finish it. In my opinion a forgettable read
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • Guardian (The Prometheus Project, #2)
  • Wicked Hot
  • A Taste For Revenge (Kendrian Vampires, #2)
  • Under the Final Moon (Underworld Detection Agency, #6)
  • It Happened One Bite (Gentlemen Vampyres, #1)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
  • Out of Sight (Court of Angels #3)
  • The Problem with Promises (Mystwalker, #3)
  • Honeymoon For Three (Honeymoon, #2)
  • The Hostile Takeover Trilogy (Hostile Takeover, #1-3)
  • Seducing the Vampire
  • The Vampire Survival Guide: How to Fight, and Win, Against the Undead
  • Ghost, Interrupted
  • A Howl for a Highlander (Heart of the Wolf, #10)
  • Be My Vampire Tonight (Darklander Lovers, #1)
  • Wild Passions
  • Take Me If You Can (ARTemis, Inc. #1)
Author Chris Salvatore has worked as is former publicist in the book publishing and communications industries for years. Sadly, she hasn't met any dashing vampires yet, but she frequently believes some of her clients may be from another planet. Necking is her first novel.
More about Chris Salvatore...