5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Harley Pasternak, M.Sc., holds an MS in exercise physiology and nutritional sciences from the University of Toronto, and an honors degree in kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario. He is certified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology. His work has been profiled in such national publications as Redbook, Glamo...more
Published December 6th 2005 by Perigee Books (first published 2004)

Jack
worth a read for gym rats
Katrina
I got this today from the library and finished it this evening in the bath. It's clear and concise and I love that. I especially like the exercises and the schedule. It looks like an easy exercise regimen to follow, even for those of us who don't exercise. And it's not intimidating. No scary moves or creepy machines. Just 5 days a week, 25 minutes a day. Simple. And isn't that what most of us want from exercise- simple & effective?

The nutrition plan is sound and looks easy enough. I'm going...more
Nicole
The exercises in this book worked great for me and I liked the results I achieved. It helped me get healthy, toned and lose some weight. I hate working out but wanted to get healthy by having a regular exercise routine. I work a lot at my job and don't have a lot of time and just needed ideas on a routine. The exercises are easy to follow and can work even if you only do the minimum. The explanations for how the exercises should look or feel we're very helpful. I chose to do cardio at the end fo...more
Miranda Thomason
I don't have a weight bench. I don't want a weight bench in my house. I don't want to buy a weight bench. That was problem number one. Other than that the program is easy to follow. I have weights and I can put them in the closet when I am done. 25 minutes a day isn't that bad. Do I think Halle Berry or Jessica Biel's body is really a result of 25 minutes a day? No. TMZ has pictures of Jessica running with her dogs everyday. 5 weeks of this diet and 25 minutes a day to a celebrity body. C'mon no...more
The content is good, but the editing of this e-book version is atrocious! There are words missing and blatant spelling errors. Not to mention that there was obviously little thought put into it's readability in ebook format. The exercise plan is laid out in a chart that it suggests you "photocopy", and it is several pages long. If you want to see the heading of a column in the chart you have to flip back to the first page of the chart! Very frustrating to try and make sense of.
Melinda
I really liked this book. It talks a little bit but then gives you 10 weeks worth of workouts using weights etc. 25 min workout 5 times a week is all it states. i have been doing the workout for 4-5 weeks now and have lost just over 5 pounds. I also watch what snacks I eat. It also has suggestions for food, but I didn't get to read that far before turning it into the library.

25 min workout. Great for a busy mom.
Teena in Toronto
New twist on what I already know but it was an interesting read. Everything is in fives.

I've been come a grazer, as he suggests, in the last couple years - Harley says to have five meals a day. Not a hard plan to follow and I like it because it's using real food and non-complicated exercises.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/02...
Casey
It goes along with the eating philosophies that I've been using for the last year and a half that helped me lose 30lbs and maintain the loss. I'm going to eat more leafy greens than the recipes recommend, but otherwise very few changes will be made to this plan...I'm going to try it for 5 weeks at least!
Ok, this isn't the end-all, be-all of fitness plans. But I really like trying different things to stay excited about nutrition and exercise, and this has some great suggestions. And it's a quick read! I'm going to try it for 5 weeks and then I'll update this review and let you know!
Lisa
Aug 12, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a system that obviously works for anyone.
Recommended to Lisa by: No one
I have literally read this entire book in less than a few hours. It's fantastic. I can't wait to try out the exercises Harley recommends, though I have to admit I've done almost all of them in the past and they're not complicated.
Anniefelt
Okay, so I only flipped through it. It is just too much work to try to do the meal plans and what not when you are a mom of young children. I guess that is why it worked so well for Jessica Simpson..she has all the free time in the world!
Allison Frederick
I have been doing the exercises in this book for 2 weeks now and I am happy. He is/was the personal trainer for Halle Berry, good credentials. This book is written in a simple way. His philosophical foundations seem to make sense to me.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
Seems interesting concept. Not sure if I will implement it because I infrequently stick to eating certain foods. Good principles though.
Kathryn
I love his workout!! 25 mins and a day 5 days a week and different everyday!! I can totally do this!
Harvey
Good for beginners and busy people. I skimmed it but it's still good reference for non beginners.
Yvi
Guter Ratgeber mit einfachen Rezepten und Übungen die ohne teure und aufwändige Geräte auskommen.
Glenda
Practical and easy to do. Not something true of all diet and exercise books.
Andrea
Interesting...we will see if it works...
SenoraG
Aug 22, 2008 SenoraG rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My new bible. Highly recommended
Dana
Very practical and doable program.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Laura added it
Mar 23, 2014
Cindy Evins
Cindy Evins marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harley Samuel Pasternak is a Los Angeles-based personal trainer, public speaker and NY Times best-selling author known for The Body Reset Diet and the 5-Factor Diet, a popular diet and fitness lifestyle. He holds an Honours Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto. [wikipedia...more
More about Harley Pasternak...
The 5 Factor Diet The Body Reset Diet The 5-Factor World Diet 5-Factor Fitness The 5-Factor Diet Journal