Start by marking “5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List” as Want to Read:
5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Harley Pasternak, M.Sc., holds an MS in exercise physiology and nutritional sciences from the University of Toronto, and an honors degree in kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario. He is certified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology. His work has been profiled in such national publications as Redbook, Glamo ...more
Published December 6th 2005 by Perigee Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 5-Factor Fitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 5-Factor Fitness

Kara Lane
I really like this book...but more importantly, I actually USE this book. I don't really like to exercise and nor do I have time for long workouts. So what usually happens is, I start a fitness program and stay with it at first, but then I miss a day here and there and pretty soon I'm not doing it anymore.

What makes the 5-Factor Fitness program easier to stick with is that it only takes about 25 minutes a day (a little longer by week 5 as the number of sets increases), and you get 2 days a week
worth a read for gym rats
I got this today from the library and finished it this evening in the bath. It's clear and concise and I love that. I especially like the exercises and the schedule. It looks like an easy exercise regimen to follow, even for those of us who don't exercise. And it's not intimidating. No scary moves or creepy machines. Just 5 days a week, 25 minutes a day. Simple. And isn't that what most of us want from exercise- simple & effective?

The nutrition plan is sound and looks easy enough. I'm going
The exercises in this book worked great for me and I liked the results I achieved. It helped me get healthy, toned and lose some weight. I hate working out but wanted to get healthy by having a regular exercise routine. I work a lot at my job and don't have a lot of time and just needed ideas on a routine. The exercises are easy to follow and can work even if you only do the minimum. The explanations for how the exercises should look or feel we're very helpful. I chose to do cardio at the end fo ...more
Miranda Thomason
I don't have a weight bench. I don't want a weight bench in my house. I don't want to buy a weight bench. That was problem number one. Other than that the program is easy to follow. I have weights and I can put them in the closet when I am done. 25 minutes a day isn't that bad. Do I think Halle Berry or Jessica Biel's body is really a result of 25 minutes a day? No. TMZ has pictures of Jessica running with her dogs everyday. 5 weeks of this diet and 25 minutes a day to a celebrity body. C'mon no ...more
Anyone looking for a new way to look at diet and exercise should read this book. Very impressed. I know everyone thinks their method is right, but if it works for busy celebrities, is can't be all bad, right?
The content is good, but the editing of this e-book version is atrocious! There are words missing and blatant spelling errors. Not to mention that there was obviously little thought put into it's readability in ebook format. The exercise plan is laid out in a chart that it suggests you "photocopy", and it is several pages long. If you want to see the heading of a column in the chart you have to flip back to the first page of the chart! Very frustrating to try and make sense of.
I really liked this book. It talks a little bit but then gives you 10 weeks worth of workouts using weights etc. 25 min workout 5 times a week is all it states. i have been doing the workout for 4-5 weeks now and have lost just over 5 pounds. I also watch what snacks I eat. It also has suggestions for food, but I didn't get to read that far before turning it into the library.

25 min workout. Great for a busy mom.
Teena in Toronto
New twist on what I already know but it was an interesting read. Everything is in fives.

I've been come a grazer, as he suggests, in the last couple years - Harley says to have five meals a day. Not a hard plan to follow and I like it because it's using real food and non-complicated exercises.

Blog review:
Liked it and am working it. One thing: if you have back issues as I do, most of the abdominal exercises could hurt your back. Instead, I'm doing these 3 exercises: lower ab reverse curls, oblique twists and legs passing. This website tells you how to do them right:
It goes along with the eating philosophies that I've been using for the last year and a half that helped me lose 30lbs and maintain the loss. I'm going to eat more leafy greens than the recipes recommend, but otherwise very few changes will be made to this plan...I'm going to try it for 5 weeks at least!
Ok, this isn't the end-all, be-all of fitness plans. But I really like trying different things to stay excited about nutrition and exercise, and this has some great suggestions. And it's a quick read! I'm going to try it for 5 weeks and then I'll update this review and let you know!
Aug 12, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a system that obviously works for anyone.
Recommended to Lisa by: No one
I have literally read this entire book in less than a few hours. It's fantastic. I can't wait to try out the exercises Harley recommends, though I have to admit I've done almost all of them in the past and they're not complicated.
Okay, so I only flipped through it. It is just too much work to try to do the meal plans and what not when you are a mom of young children. I guess that is why it worked so well for Jessica Simpson..she has all the free time in the world!
Allison Frederick
I have been doing the exercises in this book for 2 weeks now and I am happy. He is/was the personal trainer for Halle Berry, good credentials. This book is written in a simple way. His philosophical foundations seem to make sense to me.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
Seems interesting concept. Not sure if I will implement it because I infrequently stick to eating certain foods. Good principles though.
I love his workout!! 25 mins and a day 5 days a week and different everyday!! I can totally do this!
Good for beginners and busy people. I skimmed it but it's still good reference for non beginners.
Guter Ratgeber mit einfachen Rezepten und Übungen die ohne teure und aufwändige Geräte auskommen.
Practical and easy to do. Not something true of all diet and exercise books.
Interesting...we will see if it works...
Aug 22, 2008 SenoraG rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My new bible. Highly recommended
Very practical and doable program.
Nick Charalambous
Nick Charalambous marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Harley Samuel Pasternak is a Los Angeles-based personal trainer, public speaker and NY Times best-selling author known for The Body Reset Diet and the 5-Factor Diet, a popular diet and fitness lifestyle. He holds an Honours Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto. [wikipedia ...more
More about Harley Pasternak...