Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  29 reviews
There have been thousands of books written about prayer and millions of sermons preached about it, yet people continue to wonder: Why doesn’t God answer me when I cry out to him? In light of all the problems we face in life, we want to know why God is often so “silent” when we pray to him. Anthony DeStefano, author of the bestselling A Travel Guide to Heaven, knew there ha...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Doubleday Religion

Emily
Mr. DeStefano has written a short, but encouraging book on prayer. As the title promises, he lists and discusses ten prayers he affirms that God will always answer:
* God, show me that You exist
* God, make me an instrument
* God, outdo me in generosity
* God, get me through this suffering
* God, forgive me
* God, give me peace
* God, give me courage
* God, give me wisdom
* God, bring good out of this bad situation
* God, lead me to my destiny

God desperately wants to communicate with us. "In fact, the his...more
booklady
Dec 18, 2012 booklady rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to booklady by: my dear friend, Morning Star
A friend from church’s 16 year old son committed suicide a month ago. I was over at her house the other day and she was asking me about good books on grief. I remembered reading Marian Hammaren’s powerful testimony about how DeStefano’s book helped her recover from the terrible tragedy of losing her only daughter during the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting. After that I bought the book meaning to read it ... but never did.

Mary's pain and wanting to help her was my incentive to finally read Ten Prayer...more
Karina
I was surprised by how small this book is when I checked it out of the library. But it's a real gem. It's going on my Amazon wishlist, because I'm sure I'll want to refer back to it again and again. It's quite inspirational. The ten prayers are very simple, but the insight in the chapters is amazing. I skipped over chapter 9 (Will I Ever Be Happy Again? God, Bring Good Out of This Bad Situation), because I don't think it's relevant to me right now.

SPOILER WARNING

The ten prayers are:
1. God, show...more
Ki
I'm not really a very sentimental or emotional person, so I can't give an accurate review on how it would feel to read. If I was to guess, I would guess that most people would really love this. I think it has a lot of emotional appeal.

But more importantly (to my prejudice mind) it also happens to be a great book for theology.

In a world where so many prayers go unanswered, a book about 10 that will always be answered is very welcome, and very thought provoking. And because it's theology is solid...more
Jean
It's amazing to note that in our lives we may offer up many prayers to God and the majority will go unanswered (due to our intentions and many other divine factors that we are not aware of). It's great to know that there are 10 prayers that God will always say Yes to because they are always in line with his will and these are it. This is a great read, not only does the author show you the 10 prayers but he gives a in depth analysis on why they work from both a theological and every day thinking...more
Erin
This is a powerful, concise book of ten prayers that if you pray them, they will ALWAYS come true. I read it for my Sunday School class, a chapter a week, and it was just very comforting. Not overly scriptural or preachy, and the author tries to appeal to people who are spiritual, not only Christians. A great introductory book to someone exploring their faith or wondering whether prayer is really effective (or even if God exists at all and can answer your prayers). Very readable.
Lynne
This amazing book should be read and reread and given to friends.
Jody Phillips
This book had so much to teach me.
Birney Bull
Excellent! I originally assumed this would be a superficial fluff piece. Light, in places, it is; but lacking in depth? Not at all! He has a gift for making complex theological principles recognizable in everyday life.
Katy
I wanted to do more with this book than I did. I wanted to read the Scriptures that he referenced. But, I read this book during a long,long wait in the doc's office, and I was struck with DeStefano's examples. They weren't examples I could really relate to, in thought or knowing of these examples.

I tried to think of life situations in which the 10 different prayers would apply, and I think the overall theme are on target. And I do agree the prayer God answers immediately is "God, make me an inst...more
Mary Alice
This was good. It is different from the spiritual books I usually read. I tend to read the mystics whose message you need to ponder deeply. This book is simple and not laden down with over-your-head theological concepts. Each chapter relates to a different life circumstance and the author lays out a prayer that relates. What makes this book unique is that the prayers come from a perspective that the general and/or overwhelmed mind tends to overlook.
David
Wonderful book on prayer. Good for a wide spectrum of people from those that are searching or don't know to those who want to learn how to strengthen their current prayer life. There were two spots in the book that I had questions / concerns about the authors writings although they aren't big enough to cause major concern.

Great book with a simple approach to prayers that God will always answer in the affirmative.
Angela
Not bad; I read it in fits and starts, and actually enjoyed it best that way. Some bits I definitely thought... unsubstantiated, but I also found it profound in places. Enough to even blog about at one point! It's the sort of book I will probably pick up and read bits again from time to time.
Erik
The best kind of book: simple but profound; tells you something old and makes it new again.

God...
5. Forgive me
6. Give me peace
7. Give me courage
8. Give me wisdom
9. Bring good out of this bad situation (Rom 8:28)
10. Lead me to my destiny
Brenda
This book is just what it sounds like. Although I disagree with the author about some key theological points, I don't disagree with the premise. This is no Prayer of Jabez, and DeStefano emphasizes repeatedly that God's not a vending machine. :) I was encouraged and gleaned a few helpful insights.
Evelyn
Dec 07, 2009 Evelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Evelyn by: egmuegge@hotmail.com
The power of these prayers becomes evident upon praying them. I used this book for my Sunday School class. Everyone who wants to live the abundant life God wants us to should learn and pray these prayers daily.
Kristie
This book offers a new way to look at prayer. Perhaps it's not that our prayers are not getting answered, but that we're saying the wrong prayers. By the way, ask me how the first prayer got answered...
Joan
This is a compelling read about a subject in which most people are interested, or at least curious. The question of "WHY?" when prayers aren't answered was the author's quest, and this book was the result.
Lisa
I was skeptical at first at any book that presumes to know the mind of God, but this book encourages honest prayer, right relationship with God, and has nice analogies. It's a quick read.
Candy
The concepts and examples are great! This has changed the way I pray. But the author's certainty that he is correct is a little off-putting.
Fr. Ted
Not my cup of tea. His claims and examples struck me often as being lame. It is a book written for marketing purposes.
Ann
I want to read this book a few more times - it is full of grandmother's wisdom that you want to become a part of you. LOVE IT.
John Murray, II
This book is the best prayer guideline ever. Very simple and to the point with biblical explanation provided.
Yolanda
A thought provoking journey. It can be useful when searching for more in your day to day life.
Janet Meissner
loved the chapters on "am i a bad person" and "why am i here"
Katie
Explains how Christians think quite well. Good insight.
Rosemary
this is a great, short, direct book. All teens should read.
Anthea
A must have book for every Christian out there.
Wonderful. Simple yet profound
Anthony DeStefano is the bestselling author of A Travel Guide to Heaven, Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To, Angels All Around Us, and the children's books, This Little Prayer of Mine, Little Star, The Donkey that No One Could Ride, and gift book, I Just Can't Take it Anymore. He has received many prestigious awards from religious organizations worldwide for his efforts to advance Christian belief...more
More about Anthony DeStefano...
A Travel Guide to Heaven Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World Little Star The Donkey That No One Could Ride Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes to