Start by marking “Dr. Franklin's Island (Kindle Edition)” as Want to Read:
Dr. Franklin's Island (Kindle Edition)

Dr. Franklin's Island (Kindle Edition)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,773 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
What's it like to see your friend transformed into a raven before your very eyes, and to know it's your turn next? How does it feel to morph into a manta ray or slide into the body of a snake? This is what happens to Miranda, Semi and Arnie, three friends who are the sole survivors of a plane crash. They find themselves on a tropical island of azure waters and white sands. ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published June 21st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Franklin's Island, please sign up.

Kayla
I read this book a long time ago, and recently picked it up again at the library because I remembered it was a great science fiction read and I was looking for something in that genre to satisfy the craving I’ve been having for that sort of book. Dr. Franklin’s Island was just as great as the first time around, reeling me in and dragging me along for the ride.

Of course, the book also freaked me out, in major ways. It took basically everything I fear (being trapped with no escape, having no one k
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
Oh my goodness, where do I even begin???
First off, this is the first, and I repeat THE FIRST, modern book that is actually science fiction! Most people just don't get that science fiction means science fiction, fiction based on scientific facts. Not fantasy fiction or dystopian fiction.
Our main character, Semi, ends up stranded on an island with Miranda and Arnie after a plane crash. For about forty days, they hunt for food and basically live in what they think is an uninhabited island. One day,
Sam
May 24, 2011 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. It was definitely a great idea, but the writing kind of ruined it for me. I really liked the idea, and concept that children were captured and genetically modified to become transgenics, and I thought that the concept of getting lost on an island was good for the idea. Now, I found the original concept to be close to the short story The Most Dangerous Game . Otherwise, the actual idea of humans with DNA is similar to the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.

To be ho
Vanessa
Jan 03, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Let's take a moment to talk briefly on the subject of the Mad Scientist archetype, and his blood brother, the Mad Surgeon. Both of these archetypes, when done well, scare the hell out of me. I don't know quite why, but I suspect it has something to do with seeing a horrible part of The Dentist when I was a wee little thing, and having nightmares for months afterwards.

But... this stereotype does have the potential to go horribly wrong. The surgeon guy in the first Human Centipede film? Sure, he w
Danie
Jessie
Apr 19, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very fast paced and the concept (transgenics) is intriguing. There were a few parts that were a little too convenient and unrealistic. To me, this always happens in sci fi books.
Hannah
Oct 15, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Franklins Island is a very suspensfull book, and it is a very good page turner.
When their is a plane crash in the middle of the ocean their are only 3 people who survive the crash. Dr Franklin is very scary and very manipulitive of their minds. I like how they turn into the animals that they have always wished they could be. But then Dr. Franklin keeps them in cages and studies them and experiments on them. When they see all of the teenagers that he has experimented on and turned into anima
Maggie
Dec 16, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this in school for a book club, and my teacher started a class book right in the middle of book clubs so it took me FOREVER to finish. I think my teacher forgot we even had book club books to finish.
Anyway, this book was really well developed. There was a lot of psychological components, as well as science that gave this book a touch of reality. I think I would have enjoyed this more if the descriptions of dead bodies and other living injuries weren't so graphic; that was a bit unn
Gunne
Jan 18, 2009 Gunne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plane crash, check. Stranded on an island, check. This book has all the makings of what I would read. And it gets better - there's some degree of suspense and a good stream of science-fiction (genetics and stuff), all mixed with a healthy portion of emotion. How do you deal with being the first human guinea pig for an experiment? And not just psychologically - how do you cope when you start... changing? What will you do when your friend, a fellow crash survivor, begins to lose her human consciou ...more
Deanna Altomara
Dec 20, 2015 Deanna Altomara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow in the beginning and lacking of character development, but overall a good read:)
Nicola
Jul 04, 2009 Nicola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Oh dear, quite possibly one of the most boring books I have ever read. Okay, I mean, it started out fairly good. And I was confident it would be good because my friend wouldn't let it rest till I read it. But the second they became animals, I seriously was falling asleep. It was SO boring. Nothing was happening. At all. Had to go through pages and pages of a freaking mantra swimming around doing... nothing. The start was okay, and the end was okay. But everything in between was garbage.
Sophie Zapoli

Overall this was an enjoyable and light read. This story does a remarkable job of making young readers reevaluate the ethics of experimental science as well as what it means to be animals, humans, and anything in-between. While the friendship between Semi and Miranda was touching, I felt that many of the characters needed to be fleshed out more. Dr. Franklin was simply the stereotypical mad scientist and nothing more and the three teens didn't connect very well with me. While they were distinct
James Morton
Mar 18, 2016 James Morton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book has good plot, and overall a really good read
Camille Rivett
In the beginning of the book it was good. I had difficulty putting it down. But after a while it just started to drag. Nothing happened! And it wasn't like one of those books that were amazing, but when u think about it, what really happened? No. It was boring she kept dragging on about all of her problems, FOR PAGES AND PAGES she did this. A bit too much description for my taste.
Jose
Mar 12, 2015 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

After a terrifying plane crash, three teenage survivors end up deserted on a tropical island not knowing the mystery behind it. Come see all these different, yet unique animals with different features. Some things may surprise you by all the mysterious happens on the island.

Miranda, Semi, and Arnie are teenagers who were accepted to go to a conservation station. Semi was shy, Miranda was outgoing and sociable, but Arnie was the guy who didn’t give out on a fight. When they all boarded the plane
Carly
So, let the students pick the book we would read for Book Club...Sigh. The book wasn't that good. I guess the author thought that since it is a young adult novel, she didn't have to include a plot that was realistic. Or maybe this just isn't my type of book. The best thing I can say about it is that we are finished. Phew.
Evanb
Mar 03, 2016 Evanb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Franklin's Island is about a group of young teenage british survivalists whose plane mysteriously crashes and explodes leaving 3 soul survivors. Semi, Arnie, and _Muranda__ . Being only teenagers without adult supervision from the dead counselors and pilot, they must survive until they are rescued. As time passed, it became clear that they must get themselves off the island. About 3 days after their realization, Arnie disappears. Getting concerned, Semi and __Muranda__ go looking for Arnie w ...more
Allison
Jan 12, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fantastic, ever-changing book by Ann Halam capturers the readers attention with strange plot twists and amazing new information. This story, dr. franklin's island, follows the paths of three very different children: Semirah aka. Semi, Miranda, and Arnie.
Semirah, your average chubby smart science student, enters into a contest. The prize is a three week trip to the Galapagos Islands provided by Planet Saver TV program. She never expected she would be one of the lucky winners. So, now on h
Ryandg
Sep 19, 2013 Ryandg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished it during English class today. Not a bad book over all. Very much my style of book, sci-fi and all. A bit over detailed, as i always say about books read in a hurry, but i actually would recommend this book and would read the sequel.
Marybeth Taylor
why do I like this book so much you ask? well i don't know. but i read it all the imte-it's a quick read-and I absoloutly LOVE it. don't know why. READ IF YOU R AWESOME - and even if you aren't!
Yarslov
Feb 21, 2015 Yarslov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I picked this book up when I was 13 and I fell in love. Already I was a science geek, and after reading this book I went head first for genetics.

How could could a story let you down when it has all the elements: Plane crash, living on an secluded island, meeting Dr. Franklin who tell you he can turn you into an animal, turning into an animal and escaping with only your life? It is all there!

Dr. Franklin's Island is an amazing book and even though I am 22, I still consider this books to be my fav
Rachel
Apr 14, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara ★
I picked this book because I needed to read a book with "island" in the title. This is not something I would normally read. Honestly I had the most difficulty with the awful editing of the book. I kept checking to see if the author was perhaps not from an English speaking country but she's from England so I just don't understand. I found the typos to be rather distracting and the repeated phrases irritating. Both things that should have been eradicated by a decent editor.

Although an interesting
J
Nov 02, 2014 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story relates to Cast Away with a sickening twist.

Imagine surviving a plane crash and living in an island for days, still hoping that someday you’ll be saved. Imagine having all of your hope crushed by learning that you will never be saved because in the outside world you’re already dead and doesn’t exist anymore. Imagine being an unwillingly participant of an experiment that will turn you to an animal…no, a monster, a mutant.

That’s what happened to Semi, Miranda and Arnie after they encount
Sam Wescott
I really enjoyed this book. I only gave it three stars because the writing style is only mediocre. The author has a tendency to gloss over convenient plot revelations and repeat phrases to the point of being irritating. This being said, I did not notice either of these habits when I read this book for the first time in 5th grade, which I think is closer to the intended audience than my present 20-something self.

What I loved so much about this story is the imaginative rendition of the mad scienti
Rachel Star
Jan 22, 2011 Rachel Star rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourites
Semirah Garson never expected to be plane-wrecked. She never expected to meet two people in an airport and have them turn out to be her only companions for the rest of her life. But the world is unpredictable like that. Semi, Miranda and Arnie are the sole survivors of a plane crash that landed them on an small tropical island in the middle of the Pacific. But being stranded is only the start of their nightmare. Dr Franklin's been waiting for them. And now they're here, his experiments can begin ...more
Zoë the Awesome
Jun 27, 2010 Zoë the Awesome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a strong stomach, people interested in genetics
My class had spent the entire hour in the library looking novels to do book reports on. I still hadn't found one. The bell would ring in approximately three seconds, so I grabbed the nearest book that looked good. I know it sounds cheesy, but by the time I got home on the bus that day, my eyes were glued to the page. Granted, I was a bit repelled by the talk of dead bodies and genetic mutation. I wouldn't recommend this book for the weak stomached. But for those who enjoy some mild action and ho ...more
(B) Archer at KIPP
Mar 13, 2008 (B) Archer at KIPP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to (B) Archer by: Lauren Hernandez <3
Shelves: girls-have-read
This book is about three kids Miranda, Semi, and Anrie who were on a trip to South America. Then their plane crashes, they are the only people who survive. Miranda, the oldest, feels the need to take charge, and knows how to survive. Anrie, the only guy on the island is the most self-fish; he takes things that only benefit him. Semi, the youngest, and she is the quietest.

After the plane crashes and they are in all alone. They wait for days for someone to come and find them, but day after day no
Stephen Gallup
This was the first of two books I carried along for a lengthy flight to China. I expected (and wanted) something light and easy. Turns out it was that (the target audience is YA), but it was also carefully and thoughtfully put together, which I certainly appreciated.

Basically, this is an update of the old HG Wells novel The Island of Doctor Moreau. A plane crash strands three teenagers on a desert island where they fall into the clutches of a mad scientist whose genetic experiments transform the
Mr Tyler
Oct 02, 2012 Mr Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im all done with this book! It was very good but also kinda wired. Here is a quick summary.The three survivors get shots and pills which turns one girl into a bird then it turns the other girl into a manta-ray. The girls find out that they can still communicate through chips that were implanted into them. The girls also find out that their third friend the boy named Arnie had been spying on Dr.Franklin and is trying to find a way to help the girls get back to the way they were before. Arnie find ...more
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • The Dirt Eaters (The Longlight Legacy, #1)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Others See Us
  • Chaos Walking 2 In 1 Omnibus (Chaos Walking)
  • Eager
  • The Far Side of Evil
  • Unbound (Havoc Chronicles, #2)
  • Deadly Pink
  • The Goodness Gene
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • Paris: Alex & Dana (Love Stories For Young Adults, #49)
  • Triple Your Reading Speed
  • Storm Thief
  • Alien Secrets
  • They Came From Below
  • Princess in Peril (Reclaiming The Crown, #1)
Ann Halam is a pseudonym of Gwyneth Jones.

As well as being a children’s author, Ann Halam writes adult science fiction and fantasy books as the popular and prizewinning author Gwyneth Jones. Her most recent titles for Wendy Lamb Books are Dr. Franklin’s Island, Taylor Five, and Siberia. She lives in Brighton, England.
More about Ann Halam...