Start by marking “Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting (Mastering (North Light Books))” as Want to Read:

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Shows you how to use a viewfinder to determine cropping and framing to create the best relationship of value masses. This work helps you learn to analyse paintings in terms of colour shapes of value, hue and intensity - the elements that make a painting. It also includes before/after examples to illustrate how use the rules for good composition.
Published January 25th 2008 by North Light Books (first published November 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering Composition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering Composition

Sheona
Feb 20, 2013 Sheona rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any artist
Recommended to Sheona by: Katherine Tyrell Making a Mark
Shelves: art
This is quite simply The BOOK that changed my approach to composition. The book that brought me up a whole new level as an artist able to understand composition.

A definite reference and forever book for any artist looking to acquire more knowledge and take the right steps in getting there.

The one element I particularly enjoy is the layout: carefully thought through and user-friendly. This adds heaps to the enjoyment of learning something that can be down right boring. Roberts keeps all the ele
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is a useful resource for on the subject of composition. It's for artists, beginner to advanced. If you can't quite grasp the subject, this is a good book to start with.

Ian Roberts is a great teacher and you can tell from the clear breakdown on the subject, making it easy for understand what makes a good composition. He also provides numerous drawing tips as well, like the basic mistakes to avoid, control of edges, and helpful exercises to train the mind to
Derek O'Gorman
I studied art in a special program at the high school level, and studied Independent Illustration at the college level. I still felt that there were things I could learn to improve my composition and painting though, and I thought this book sounded promising.

I am happy to say that I learned a lot from this book. It examines how to structure your paintings properly by planning, starting with an armature, figuring out the movement and how you want to guide the viewer's eye through the painting, an
Ruth Charchian
This is a reference book that belongs in an artist's library. There are so many compositional tips and techniques it would be impossible to remember them all. He uses explicit, step-by-step graphics and illustrations to explain his reasoning starting with the most basic. After reading his book, I used his composition and applied them to my photography! The quality of my pictures improved. The quality of my picture editing improved. Hats off to Ian Roberts!
Cecely
Hands down the best art instruction book I've ever read. Not only does Ian Roberts take you through the principles of Composition, he gives clear and concise examples of what works and why--and what doesn't work and why. He takes you the painting PROCESS, giving you a concrete guide for executing a painting start to finish. This is an excellent book. I know I'll be referring back to it often as I paint.
Sherry (sethurner)
I have been working to improve my painting for ten or more years, and this book has done more to help me understand why some of my efforts disappointed me than any other. The author explains the ins and outs of composition in art clearly, with personal and classic examples. The book includes a useful CD as well.
Carol Tensen
For what it sets out to do, this book does a very thorough job. What a relief to find a book that reteaches composition without burdening us with the golden rectangle and fibonacci sequences. The exercises are valuable. I also intend to do the composition a day for the next while.
Kirsteen
Not bad. Most of what was in here I already knew but there were a few things mentioned that it got me thinking about with perspectives and techniques for highlighting. When I shift from my abstract phase and do landscapes it'll give me some ideas.
Carol Dickerson
This was the primary text for an online course I recently completed in composition. It is well written, with quality reproductions, and an very compelling DVD that complements, rather than repeats the text. Highly recommend.
Duffy Doherty
There is very little out there that truly explains the principles of good composition. This is the best source I've found...
Kim
wonderful book - one I will return to every few year, there are so many lessons in here!
Claudia
Excellent book for any artist.
Brent
Sep 26, 2008 Brent rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
Excellent book.
Waywards
Waywards marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ryanucas
Ryanucas marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Caitlin Goodale
Caitlin Goodale marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Creative Authenticity: 16 Principles to Clarify and Deepen Your Artistic Vision The Energy Glut: Climate Change and the Politics of Fatness Catch the Sun German Expressionist Cinema: The World of Light and Shadow Diachronic Syntax