Start by marking “The Man in the Brown Suit” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Brown Suit

The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  43,147 ratings  ·  764 reviews
Pretty, young Anne came to London looking for adventure. In fact, adventure comes looking for her—and finds her immediately at Hyde Park Corner tube station. Anne is present on the platform when a thin man, reeking of mothballs, loses his balance and is electrocuted on the rails.

The Scotland Yard verdict is accidental death. But Anne is not satisfied. After all, who was th
Published February 10th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Brown Suit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man in the Brown Suit

karen
Hannah
A great read. As always, Christie is a master of the crime/detective genre, managing to make this a fun and exciting romp without decreasing any of the mystery and sense of the sinister.

All of the characters had their own charms, but Colonel Race really made the book, even though he seemed to stay in the backdrop a lot of the time. I must say I felt rather sorry for his lack of luck with Anne, but I'm looking forward to revisiting his character in the later books. Anne, although not the most li
James
Sometimes it's easy to get distracted reading Agatha Christie. You get used to the idea that she's the creator of Poirot, of Marple, even of Tommy and Tuppence. Those characters can almost become more important than the novel itself, and when you read a Christie that doesn't have the distraction of a famous detective creation you can be surprised by just how good Christie can be. To be fair, those other novels with Poirot in are pretty good too but this one struck me that I was just enjoying Th ...more
F.R.
Forget the mystery, forget the complex scheme hatched by a mysterious criminal mastermind, Agatha Christie’s ‘The Man in the Brown Suit’ is really a spoof. Written in 1924 it has the suspense serial, the kind with feisty, flapper heroines at their centre, directly in its sights. But hang on, it's more than that: this was actually written in serialised form as ‘Anne the Adventuress’ and so right from the off it is both satirising the over the top adventure story whilst wholeheartedly being one.

We
Queenx
كان هذا الكتاب هدية من صديقتي

إن كنت تحب الروايات - البوليسيه

فأنصحك به وإن كنت لا تحب فـ أعطه فرصه

لأجاثا كريستي أسلوب رائع في السرد

Dina
Susan
This is one of Agatha Christie's best stand alone novels - part mystery, part thriller and part espionage story - which takes us from a London tube station to revolution in Africa. It begins with Anne Beddingfeld, the daughter of a professor who longs for adventure. She spends her day trying to placate creditors and longing to 'step out' with a young man. When her father dies, she takes an opportunity to go to London, where, quite by chance, she witnesses the death of a young man at a tube stati ...more
Ann
Upon rereading this books (some ten years after initially doing so) I had vague recollections of who the "bad guy" was, how some of the arcs played out, and that I loved the book!
Even though I remembered the gist of who was good and who was bad, I was still questioning myself, "Wait, *IS* that character the bad one?" as I reread. But, in true Christie fashion, she explains it all so clearly by the end that I find myself wondering how I missed the clues early on.

This is one of my favorite Christi
Leah

Utter, thrilling, nonsensical fun!

One of her earliest novels, possibly her first foray out of detection and into her crowning weakness, international crime syndicates. I knew exactly what to expect and therefore was completely satisfied.

Although the story was written almost 90 years ago, there really is very little to make it feel so. The constant humorous nudges and winks of Anne Beddingfield longing to be an adventuress ("It doesn't happen like this in The Perils of Pamela", etc) are cheeky en
Phayvanh
Sep 25, 2008 Phayvanh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library book sale
Christie should have published this as "The Mystery of the Mill House" instead. In any case, it is the bestest, most storied, dense Agatha Christie book I have read so far (it's my 4th one). This is the only one I've read that's not part of a seriees, and so I think I shall stick with the standalone stories from now on.

All characters are pretty believable. What Christie does here that is different from the Poirot and Marple stories, is imbue the book with loads atmosphere. And it works! Granted,
Hannah  Walsh
I loved this! Not only was it a genius mystery, but the characters were well-written and intersting to read about (something I find rather rare in mystery novels). I'm definitely going to read more Agatha Christie books!
Lydia
Oh, Agatha, can you do no wrong? Yet another case of me looking like a fool in public whilst reading, because Agatha Christie definitely has that knack of surprising me with several events. She's well on the way to becoming one of my faves <33
Emily
This read very differently from the large majority of Christie's work - it sounded like a cross between Christie and Wodehouse. I laughed almost the entire way through, even if it was a bit too silly in parts. Loved it.
Connie Rossini
I love Agatha Christie, especially her novels that have ordinary men and women getting caught up in a mystery or thriller. The Man in the Brown Suit is one of her travel mysteries. It takes the reader to South Africa. The heroine is intrepid and likeable, the hero is dark and mysterious, and the villain is not whom you suspect.

Although it's not "great" in the sense of Tolstoy, I love this novel and have read it countless times.
C.
I savour Agatha Christie in order of her releases. I don’t identify ahead what pertains to which series, nor watch any films lest I be wholly surprised by my journey; 90 years after “The Man In The Brown Suit”, came out. The gift this gives me is that each time I open the front page, it is a treat to discover which heroes shall escort me. Agatha experimented with these first four; three are unrelated. This one has nothing to do with her two famous sleuths. I was blissfully unprepared for that su ...more
✿ Deni
Cobalt714
This is, to date, the only Agatha Christie novel I have ever read. I picked it up when I was a teenager and totally fell in love with it.

When Anne Beddingfield's father dies she is suddenly left without a single living relative, hardly any money, and absolutely no idea what to do with herself. When her fathers solicitor (lawyer) offers to take her in (because she is a poor little orphan girl) she jumps at the offer (because he lives in London and she is eager to have adventures.)

Anne soon grows
Catarina Oliveira
Absolutely loved this book.
It's full of interesting characters and witty, comical dialogue.
It's the perfect blend of romance, adventure and mystery. I was surprised at how romantic this book was. Wasn't expecting that at all.

5/5
Jeremy
For a woman, that's quite remarkable! Must be your scientific training.

Christie the ironist...

I often marvelled at Christie's capacity to pace this novel---to shoot so quickly through passages of time so effortlessly and without the least sense of loss to the reader---as well as her sense of style. She is a much underrated stylist. She achieves these things through a masterful use of two separate voices: that of our protagonist, an almost proto-cliché-like feisty heroine, Anne Beddingfield, and
DeeNa Ayman F.K.
رواية الحب والجريمة ..
بنظري هي أفضل أعمال أجاثا ..
رغم أني لم أقرأ اثنتين من اشهر رواياتها بعد ..

لكن حقاً .. تعجبني هذه بكل تفاصيلها ..

جريمة أقرب ما تكون للـ جميلة ..

----------------------------------------

اقرؤها للمرة الثانية .. مضت اكثر من 6 سنوات .. ولازلت احبها ^^
Debbie
Book Description:
Anne Beddingfeld longs for adventure, like the heroines in her favorite novels. When a stranger falls to his death, she realizes that the man who says he's a doctor is actually riffling through the dead man's pockets...and, as he hurries away, he accidentally drops a cryptic note. The death is ruled an accident, but Anne decides to investigate in hopes of finding her adventure.

The note indicates that something is going to happen on a certain cruise ship that is sailing to South
Jenn Ravey
Agatha Christie continues to astound me. I am sure you guys have noticed my Shelfari sidebar and the fact that it keeps flashing more Agatha Christie titles, but I can't help myself. First, I listened to And Then There Were None. Then I read The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Secret Adversary. This week I listened to The Man in the Brown Suit, on your many recommendations.

The woman was a versatile writer, which may just be the understatement of the last half a century. The Man in the Brown
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: all the expected bells’n’whistles, but everything is done superbly, with a very light hand, especially for the time. Of its type, this is “First Class!”.

After several suspicious occurrences, the recently orphaned Miss Anne Beddingfield winds up on a mysterious boat to South Africa, along with spies and crooks and A Genius of Crime, well, sort of. But this young lady has brains and courage, and is determined to figure out all the angles by herself, despite the help of a bumbling olde
Mmyoung
This is Christie’s fourth published book and one can see a rabid maturation of her writing technique. After returning, in her third book, to a story built around a detective, she goes back in this book to the “romp” style of her second book. This time, however, the romp is executed with much more panache than in the first case. The Man in the Brown Suit has a plot as contrived and coincidence strewn as The Secret Adversary but is more dependent on the cliches and tropes of literature than those ...more
Stoyan Stoyanov
The fourth book Agatha Christie wrote and, to my knowledge, the only one to feature Anne Beddingfield as a detective. This book is rather obscure because of this fact -- it does not feature Poirot or Miss Marple. Still, an interesting read, heavy on political intrigue. It also reveals Christie at her psychoanalytical best. Here are a couple of great passages:

..."I shouldn't dream of marrying anyone unless I was madly in love with them. And of course there is really nothing a woman enjoys so muc
J
I'm re-reading Agatha Christie and this is my new favorite book of hers.
- The characters are all likeable, even the villians.
- The story spans London, a long boat journey to South Africa (in 1st class!) and South Africa itself (with an on-going revolution to boot). Classic!
- Multiple marriage proposals for a beautiful orphaned girl. Love and honesty trump all.
- We get a glimpse of the characters a couple years after the story ends.

This story doesn't contain any of Christie's usual characters
Heidi
This is part of a group of books that Agatha wrote early in her career. The detectives were not Hercule or Miss M., but a series of young, witty, Evelyn Waugh types from post World War I England who solved mysteries as amateurs. I loved them all. Unlike Hercule, these flappers and their male cohorts got into real trouble, were threatened with death at several points, traveled to foreign countries (as in this one), and were witty all the way through. In this tale, Anne Beddingfield (sp) travels t ...more
Alina
I love Christie's books without Poirot or miss Marple! I mean, I love those characters, too, but reading about someone else is a nice change.
B
One of my favorite Christie books. Is it because the mystery is so clever? Nope, that's never the reason I like Christie. I like her writing and her characters, to be honest. The mystery just happens to be the way her plot is arranged and isn't the reason I read her.

This particular one is a particular favorite because it's so damn funny and fun to read. Christie can be very serious at times, but she's usually humorous in between. It's just rare to find a book that's humorous throughout. So, hoor
Sean Kennedy
This is more of a romance with a bit of mystery thrown in, but as such it is a completely pleasurable adventure and a bit of a change of pace within the Christie oeuvre.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Man In The Brown Suit by Agatha Christie 1 10 Apr 21, 2015 01:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Description language 2 12 Feb 27, 2015 07:58AM
رواية ممتعه إلى حد الجنون 2 39 Oct 09, 2014 01:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions and covers 7 47 Jan 16, 2012 01:52AM
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • Absent In The Spring
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6)
  • Death in Zanzibar
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Colonel Race (4 books)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Sparkling Cyanide
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“It is really a hard life. Men will not be nice to you if you are not good-looking, and women will not be nice to you if you are.” 328 likes
“What good is money if it can't buy happiness?” 55 likes