The First And The Last:  The Rise and Fall of the German Fighter Forces, 1938-1945

The First And The Last: The Rise and Fall of the German Fighter Forces, 1938-1945

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A fearless leader with 104 victories to his name, Galland was a legendary hero in Germany's Luftwaffe. Now he offers an insider's look at the division's triumphs in Poland and France and the last desperate battle to save the Reich. "The clearest picture yet of how the Germans lost their war in the air".--Time. Illustrations. (War History)
Published 1954 by Ballantine Books, Inc. (first published 1953)

Gary
I have a lot of respect for Adolf Galland. The first and the last describe the good parts of this book. The first chapters are enough to hook you and then it gets good from chapter 27 on. I really wanted to hear more personal accounts that Galland had with the Condor Legion and his personal experiences with all of the aircraft that he piloted, but instead I got a lot of complaining about the high command and I really hate to say it and it probably wasn't his fault, but excuses. I do realize the...more
Jeff
"The First and The Last". by Adolph Galland, 1953. The parents of a colleague of mine shared a table with Adolph Galland sometime during the 1970's at a reunion of fighter pilots. Apparently there was a disagreement regarding the allocation of a bottle of fine Champaign on their table, leading to my friend's mother to exclaim in retrospect, "Adolph Galland, he was an ace all right. - he was also an ass." I am not sure what to make of this story, except that I wish I could have been at their tabl...more
Bryan Mcquirk
I enjoyed this book. I would have given it a higher rating if he had focused more on the pilots and battles and left out as much of the politics. We all know how bad Goering and Hitler screwed up with the Luftwaffe, I wanted to read more about the early days and the fighting.
Tom Landry
I thought this was a great book. It really gave me an understanding of what it was like for the German fighter pilots of WWII from the beginning to the end of the war. No Hitler. No Nazis. Just the story of the pilots flying in the war.
Michael
Read this book ages ago, but still recommend it to anyone wanting a first hand account of the aerial war in world war 2.
Charles
An excellent book about the Luftwaffe in WWII by a man who was one of the architects of the Luftwaffe's development.
Bernardo Hourmat
Confirma-se a ideia de que por um conjunto de más decisões políticas, não falamos todos alemão, hoje em dia.
Peter
Really good first hand account of the air way in WW2 from the German point of view
Chris Brimmer
Refreshingly honest, of course Galland didn't face the dock at Nuremburg.
Rod
A very interesting account of Gallands time through the war years
Yan Naroditsky
excellent book about history of the fighters arm of luftwaffe
nanto
belum tuntas dibaca, soalnya bukunya keburu perlu dijilid ulang.
Muhammad Iqbal
Unfortunately he is on the looser side
Bill
(Read during High School)
Jason Dibble
Jason Dibble marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Colin Woods
Colin Woods is currently reading it
Beggs
Beggs marked it as to-read
Jordan Meservy
Jordan Meservy marked it as to-read
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Stephen Gill
Stephen Gill is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mike Bodine
Mike Bodine marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross
  • Achtung-Panzer!: The Development of Armoured Forces, Their Tactics and Operational Potential
  • Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944
  • Lost Victories: The War Memoirs of Hilter's Most Brilliant General
  • Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front (Modern War Studies (Paper)
  • The Dam Busters
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath
The Luftwaffe At War, 1939 1945 Die deutsche Luftwaffe 1939 - 1945. Eine Dokumentation in Bildern. O Primeiro e o Último Memória de um Ás Alemão da II Guerra Mundial The Luftwaffe Fighter Force: The View from the Cockpit Luftwaffe: Birth, Life and Death of An Air Force (Weapons Book, #10)