Start by marking “Existentialism For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Existentialism For Beginners

Existentialism For Beginners (For Beginners)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Existentialism For Beginners is a lighthearted romp through the history of a philosophical movement that had broad-reaching influence on Western culture, politics and the arts during the period of mid-19th century through the late 20th century, and still exerts influence in the 21st century. Tracing its beginning with close-up views of seminal 19th century writers like Kie ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by For Beginners

To ask other readers questions about Existentialism For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Existentialism For Beginners

Nocheevo
Not a bad overview of the concepts for what is a slight amorphous philosophy. Fairly easy read and a good starting point before wearing a black skivvy and reading Satre in coffee lounges. The illustrations give the work a "lay person friendly" look without adding anything.
R. C.
This book was so disorderly that at several points I stopped and made a line-by-line survey of what I had read before so I could be absolutely certain that the author really was casually referring to something he had not yet mentioned.

I liked it, though. Despite the arbitrary placement of the paragraphs, I found it easy to understand. The pictures were funny. It was occasionally cursory, but it was not meant to be thorough. I can't speak to it's accuracy, having not read enough about this topic
Vanessa Thomas
While the organization of the text was less than ideal, this short "documentary comic" provided ample information for anyone newly interested in existentialist philosophy. The illustrations didn't feel too childish, something I was concerned about initially.
Sean
Even though there were plenty of editorial mistakes this is a very good introduction to existentialism. The little bit of background of some of the movements main proponents helps to put their thoughts and ideas into perspective. The illustrations also helped me better understand some of their main ideas. Overall I enjoyed the read and learned a lot about the movement and now want to read some of their works.
Robert Binkowski
I feel as if it's pointed me in the direction for further study which is what I wanted from the book. It could use some serious copyediting, though.
Judah The Omnipotent
The book is perfect for philosophy experts and beginners alike. The illustrations are amazingly done and connect to the each section. It's also organized incredibly well. It begins with an explanation of what existentialism is (spoiler: It's complicated), and then begins going through existentialist philosophers, writers and artists. Then it starts talking about existentialism in various fields. A good read, well worth it.
Pete
While this text serves as a decent introduction to existentialism, the writing is not exactly up to snuff. There are numerous grammar and spelling errors scattered throughout the entirety and the book seems poorly edited. At one point, the author makes mention of "the day this book was written." I know that can simply mean the day it was completed, but was this book written in one day? It seems like it sometimes.
Ali Alyami
مدخل جيد و مرح للفلسفة الوجودية. لا بأس به كمقدمة تعلمت منها الكثير عن فلسفة جهلتها. الفلسفة الوجودية و التأكيد على الفرد و أهميته هي نقاط تستحق الاطلاع.
Tara
A good basic overview of existential thinkers. Good introductory book for anyone looking for a brief overview of the area.
Nate
A decent introduction to the basic tenants and influential thinkers of existentialism, but the writing and editing is atrocious.
Roger Morris
Roger Morris is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Kema Abdul
Kema Abdul is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Nbaker234
Nbaker234 marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Michael Yankovich
Michael Yankovich is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Theotokos
Theotokos marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
James Quay
James Quay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Rahom
Rahom marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mahad
Mahad marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Jennifer Howenstine
Jennifer Howenstine marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
cyra
cyra added it
Nov 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • African History For Beginners
  • Anarchism For Beginners
  • Arabs & Israel for Beginners (Writers and Readers Series)
  • Art Theory For Beginners