Start by marking “Existentialism For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Existentialism For Beginners

Existentialism For Beginners (For Beginners)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Existentialism For Beginners is a lighthearted romp through the history of a philosophical movement that had broad-reaching influence on Western culture, politics and the arts during the period of mid-19th century through the late 20th century, and still exerts influence in the 21st century. Tracing its beginning with close-up views of seminal 19th century writers like Kie ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by For Beginners

To ask other readers questions about Existentialism For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Existentialism For Beginners

Nocheevo
Jun 10, 2009 Nocheevo rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Not a bad overview of the concepts for what is a slight amorphous philosophy. Fairly easy read and a good starting point before wearing a black skivvy and reading Satre in coffee lounges. The illustrations give the work a "lay person friendly" look without adding anything.
Julio VZ
Oct 26, 2015 Julio VZ rated it liked it
The book gives a basic understanding of Existentialism and its main concepts. It is also a good source for further readings to continue studying the philosophy. I wish the writers and editors had been more careful as the book is filled with grammatical errors and spelling errors. Other than that, this is definitely a great and accesible introduction.

If after finishing this you are interested in a more concrete and equally accessible break down of Existentialism, I highly recommend reading Exist
R. C.
Aug 16, 2010 R. C. rated it liked it
This book was so disorderly that at several points I stopped and made a line-by-line survey of what I had read before so I could be absolutely certain that the author really was casually referring to something he had not yet mentioned.

I liked it, though. Despite the arbitrary placement of the paragraphs, I found it easy to understand. The pictures were funny. It was occasionally cursory, but it was not meant to be thorough. I can't speak to it's accuracy, having not read enough about this topic
Dee Capybara
Nov 03, 2015 Dee Capybara rated it it was amazing
Fun! I Wanted to read some heavier existential essays and needed a quick rerun of the basics. A great prerequisite to all those borderline psychobable-esqu essays (*COUGHCamus's Sisyphus *COUGH). The illustrator was a clown for Barnum and Bailey, speaking of absurd! Loved it.
Vanessa Thomas
Jan 05, 2015 Vanessa Thomas rated it liked it
While the organization of the text was less than ideal, this short "documentary comic" provided ample information for anyone newly interested in existentialist philosophy. The illustrations didn't feel too childish, something I was concerned about initially.
Sean
Mar 02, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it
Even though there were plenty of editorial mistakes this is a very good introduction to existentialism. The little bit of background of some of the movements main proponents helps to put their thoughts and ideas into perspective. The illustrations also helped me better understand some of their main ideas. Overall I enjoyed the read and learned a lot about the movement and now want to read some of their works.
Robert Binkowski
Oct 04, 2014 Robert Binkowski rated it liked it
I feel as if it's pointed me in the direction for further study which is what I wanted from the book. It could use some serious copyediting, though.
Judah The Omnipotent
Dec 19, 2013 Judah The Omnipotent rated it really liked it
The book is perfect for philosophy experts and beginners alike. The illustrations are amazingly done and connect to the each section. It's also organized incredibly well. It begins with an explanation of what existentialism is (spoiler: It's complicated), and then begins going through existentialist philosophers, writers and artists. Then it starts talking about existentialism in various fields. A good read, well worth it.
Pete
Jun 08, 2009 Pete rated it it was ok
While this text serves as a decent introduction to existentialism, the writing is not exactly up to snuff. There are numerous grammar and spelling errors scattered throughout the entirety and the book seems poorly edited. At one point, the author makes mention of "the day this book was written." I know that can simply mean the day it was completed, but was this book written in one day? It seems like it sometimes.
Ali
Mar 13, 2011 Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
مدخل جيد و مرح للفلسفة الوجودية. لا بأس به كمقدمة تعلمت منها الكثير عن فلسفة جهلتها. الفلسفة الوجودية و التأكيد على الفرد و أهميته هي نقاط تستحق الاطلاع.
Tara
Oct 29, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophical
A good basic overview of existential thinkers. Good introductory book for anyone looking for a brief overview of the area.
Nate
Jan 31, 2013 Nate rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy, own
A decent introduction to the basic tenants and influential thinkers of existentialism, but the writing and editing is atrocious.
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Robert Weber
Robert Weber marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Jeremy Russell
Jeremy Russell marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
paulo s ribeiro
paulo s ribeiro rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Lauri
Lauri marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
erika
erika added it
Dec 21, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Michael Fisher
Michael Fisher marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Nicole Agate
Nicole Agate rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Megan Elizabeth
Megan Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Erik Alan Phillips
Erik Alan Phillips rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Charles D.
Charles D. rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Birce Cennetoğlu
Birce Cennetoğlu rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Juan
Juan rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Terami
Terami rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • African History For Beginners