Start by marking “Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust” as Want to Read:
Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust

But it's the secret
behind one of the
largest, most colorful
sights on earth.
Published April 1st 2005 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stars Beneath Your Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Beneath Your Bed

Tom
1st-4th Grade

April Pulley Sayre makes science interesting for children in this book that tells about the origins of dust. She gives the student examples of where the dust might have come from and gets their imaginations involved to think of how dust has an effect on our lives. She keeps the subject light by reducing the text to not interfere with the colorful illustrations that are done by Ann Jones. This book gets into the fact that dust is always around us and has been here forever, that makes
Amber Bush
Sayre, A. (2005). Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust. Greenwillow Books.

Picture Book Projec

Choice/ ALSC 2006 Notable Children's Books

This concept book talks about an interesting and not so often discussed subject, dust. The book talks about all the things that dust can come from and I can personally say that I did not think of even half of the examples. The illustrations were created in a way that enhanced the words and really put dust into a visual perspective. It was interest
Chalice
Stars Beneath Your Bed (The Surprising Story of Dust) is a clever way to teach kids about the sneaky almost invisible concept of dust.
It shows that dust comes from everything and that is just what it is.... little bits of things (big AND small things)!
The author uses specific examples to get kids minds thinking creatively.
"Dust can be bits of unexpected things- a crumbling leaf, the eyelash of a seal, the scales of a snake, the smoke of burning toast, ash from an erupting volcano."
"Dust that m
Nieva21
would say there is a very good flow with this style of writing. She writes clear and as it does some-what rhyme the metrical aspect of this writing helps the child with their literacy as well. But aside from that, I also noticed that she chose things in the large external environment that a child could easily relate to, such as “dust is made everywhere, every day. A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from it’s fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings. That’s dust. Dust is li ...more
Amber
Genre: Junior Book- Informational
Summary: This poetic picture book tells the story of dust in a way that will interest readers of all ages. You learn what dust is, where it comes from, and other interesting facts that might surprise you. At the end, there is a longer and in depth explanation to some of the things talked about in the book.
Critique: Theme- Interconnected World
The pictures really bring this story to life. Each picture shows displays such different habitats which convey to the read
Alice
3.75 Stars The title is "The Surprise Story of Dust" and it didn't disappoint. The pictures are great, the wording is good but not my taste...just not smooth and flowing. I learned that the dust from the dinosaur era could be on my computer screen and the dust Martin Luther King Jr brushed from his coat could be on my car! Very interesting. I haven't thought about dust being cosmic...part of it coming from outer space! A lot to think about!!
Deanna Vaughn
This is a very cute book about where dust comes from and why it is around. It gives cute examples throughout the book. The book also has certain rhyming patterns that continue as you read on. I really think that children will like that aspect of the book. The pictures are very neat and colorful. I like this book because it tells children why dust is around and where it comes from. Some children may never think about dust until this book.
Riley Sorem
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, almost as beautiful as the words. Written in a poetic manor this book graphically describes how all things are dust, and tells where dust comes from. This story took a plain everyday nuisance and painted it into a beautiful mystery of life.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Who knew that a book about dust would be so interesting! It also grossed us out a little bit because dust is really old. The dust under our bed could've touched a dinosaur, and our skin flakes off all the time, and that is dust, too. YUCK!
Ronda
I absolutely love this book--from pictures to concept. "At sunrise, the sun, low in the sky, peeks through dusty air. Dust from us and dirt and dinosaurs scatters light, painting the sky like fire." This is a quick read that can be used to bring some interesting new perspective to an everyday substance. Makes me think a little more fondly of the dust I have (unintentionally) collected at home--after all if it could have made King Tut sneeze or "muddied a dinosaur" that dust might have a long, lo ...more
Bill
My six year old loved this.
Matthew
This explanation of dust couldn't have been much simpler or more clearly presented. It was interesting. I didn't truly appreciate the role dust plays in our lives before I read this. Now, I am very much aware and extremely impressed. A highly recommended read for anyone on Earth.
Cari Young
This was a GREAT non-fiction read-aloud for kindergarten. I was surprised by what I learned in this book. I asked our students before I started the book what they THINK dust is made of. Then, I asked them after reading the book what they KNOW it is made of. Highly recommended!
Dolly
A fascinating look at dust and to a smaller extent, the cycle of life and how all things are created from what came before. It has a poetic narrative and colorful illustrations and is short enough to keep a child's attention while still teaching about science.
Chak
It is not often that I get interested in a story about dust, but this book is listed as a "notable children's book" for a reason. I won't give it all away here, but if your child is interested in space or stars, this book will be very fascinating.
Amanda
I thought this title was going to make for a fantastic imagination story, but I should've looked at the subtitle to know that's not the case. For a scientifically minded curious kid, this would be perfect, but for a wiggly toddler, not so much.
Kate
Carter and Harrison
Excellent! Loved the opportunity for conversation and teachable moment. Great! The kids really loved the concept that there are particles left by dinosaurs still around today, and I really loved the end of the book summary.
Kate
I was a little disappointed by this book, as I thought it was have use a little more imagination; however, I did learn some interesting facts about dust.
Sandra
Another favorite from our summer reading promotion. Beautiful watercolor illustrations and interesting science in a poetic manner.
Julie
we would
have no
beauty!
Megan
This book reads like a fiction book, but is actually quite informative about what dust is and where it comes from.
Cassie
This book makes dust seem magical and amazing! Everyone should learn about dust this way.
Bree
Notes:
interesting science book
not the kind of book you would read twice though
Jessica
Great informational book! Beautifully drawn pictures to help students be imaginative.
Beverly
Who knew dust could be so fascinating?
Marta-Kate
Who knew dust could be so interesting?
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual persp ...more
More about April Pulley Sayre...
Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant If You're Hoppy Eat Like a Bear Raindrops Roll Vulture View