Start by marking “Getting Past No Getting Past No Getting Past No” as Want to Read:
Getting Past No Getting Past No Getting Past No

Getting Past No Getting Past No Getting Past No

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,681 ratings  ·  76 reviews
We all want to get to yes, but what happens when the other person keeps saying no?
How can you negotiate successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate customer, or a deceitful coworker?
In Getting Past No, William Ury of Harvard Law School's Program on Negotiation offers a proven breakthrough strategy for turning adversaries into negotiating partners. You'll learn how to:
-...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Bantam (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Past No Getting Past No Getting Past No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Past No Getting Past No Getting Past No

Oleg Kagan
I hear that law school students are required to read "Getting Past No," and I understand why -- the book is an excellent negotiation primer. Though it's a quick read (took me two sittings) I think it will be worth re-reading every so often.

William Ury, the co-founder of Harvard Law's Program on Negotiation, breaks negotiation down into five stages:

Go to the Balcony - Separate yourself from the situation so you can think clearly.

Step to their Side - See the negotiation from the other side's pers...more
Miles De Grifter
Sep 29, 2011 Miles De Grifter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has difficulty controlling themselves in difficult or heated discussions and negociations
Recommended to Miles by: Linguana
despite most of what is being said in this book kinda feeling obvious, just reading it and organizing ones thoughts is extremely helpful. in fact, just today (i finished this book on the train home today) i used techniques described in here (possibly unknowingly) to get 3 adversely positioned colleagues to change their stance on the issue in question by 180°. suffice to say i was baffled and quite proud of myself, because not only did i overcome my innate tendency to overreaction (the balcony th...more
Nicholas
Nada Obaid
I learnt a lot from the different negotiation strategies that I can apply not only in work but in my personal life to make my negotiations with others more effective :) The book had a very smooth structure that I liked because it gave me a sense of ideas' sequence.

I strongly recommend it for people who find it difficult to reach an agreement with others and often struggle in negotiations :)
getAbstract
Concise, practical book on negotiating

Best-selling author William Ury has the topic of negotiation down cold. Reading this classic book (originally released in 1991) is a pleasure and the reasons it became a bestseller are obvious: It is clear, concise and eminently readable. This book has such wide appeal that getAbstract recommends it to all businesspeople and to anyone who ever needs to negotiate about anything – from cops bargaining with hostage takers to consumers pushing for the best car...more
C.B. Brooks
The world would be a better place if everyone negotiated nicely with the best common interest in mind. Unfortunately most people who consider themselves "good negotiators," hagglers, and hard-bargaining are really just bullies or other personality disorders. The author gives some good tricks for dealing with them, but in real life you're probably better off walking away.
Caleb West
This book outlines a very good process by which to handle all negotiations in life. Very methodical without being overly specific. Quick read. I am going to read his others. eventually.
Melinda
William Ury's five step negotiation technique:
1. Go to the balcony - control your emotions; know your alternatives.
2. Step to their side - create a favorable climate in which to negotiate.
3. Reframe - don't reject; ask questions, identify tactics and stay on target.
4. Build them a golden bridge - present a solution that is favorable to both sides and let them decide to take it or not.
5. Use power to educate - educate them on the costs of not finding a solution and exercise your alternatives if n...more
Cathy Allen
I am one who always reads with a pen in my hand... underlining and making notes in the margins. Sometimes I even argue with an author, "Yeah, but what about...?" My guess is that a lot of questioning and argument came from readers after Professors Roger Fisher and William Ury published Getting To Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In. The blockbuster book spelled out an utterly simple and utterly sensible approach to negotiation the authors called "principled." It's based on establishing...more
Jessica
A quick read with practical, memorable tips on negotiation. Where I found it a little disappointing is that he opens the book by talking about how we are constantly negotiating -- with our spouse, with our coworkers, with our kids. But almost all of the strategies and examples seem based around formal negotiations -- salary negotiations, union negotiations, negotiations with hostage-takers. The tips seem very helpful for situations in which both sides are aware of the fact that they are negotiat...more
Ashish Sharma
Being recently introduced to the books related to negotiation, I feel more enlightened about how human mind works and how emotions play a role in its working. Negotiation is a game where human mind and emotions are at their peak and hence gives more insight into our behavior. What makes negotiation important is that at the end of this there is a decision which has to come out and that decision is going to determine who is going to get what! But a sharp person looks much beyond the simple how-muc...more
Arturo Mijangos
This book is now my favorite negotiations book, not only does it give a clear framework of what to do when you encounter opposition in a negotiation it also enlightens the reader on the benefits of negotiation. This is a much more enjoyable book than Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In, but reading Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In is essential but not required.
If you seem to come to negotiation circumstances and feel that you did poorly or caved in, the...more
Stevie
This is the first book I have read on negotiation, and I thought it was helpful. It is a bit daunting to try to apply all that the author discusses, but I feel if I just used some of what he said it would make me a more effective negotiator.

The Five Steps of Breakthrough Negotiation:

1. Go to the Balcony - control your own emotions
2. Step to Their Side - defuse the anger and create a favorable environment
3. Reframe - direct attention to meeting each side's interests and deal with the problem
4. Bu...more
Eric Anest
Advocates a so-called "breakthrough strategy" for effective negotiation:

Don't react: Go to the balcony. That is, take an objective view of the situation.
Don't argue: Step to their side. Understand their interests and motivations.
Don't reject: Reframe. If you can't accept their solution, reframe the issues to try to satisfy everyone.
Don't push: Build them a golden bridge. Hard-line negotiating rarely works. Give people an opportunity to both accept your offer and save face.
Don't escalate: Use pow...more
Parcoast
This is another great book on Negotiation but wasn't quite as useful to me as the Truths About Negotiation I read a few months back. The points/strategies were good, but seemed to use more words to reinforce some of the same concepts. Oddly enough, I still haven't cracked its predecessor, Getting To Yes, which is sitting on my side table right here beside. It will have its turn sometime soon.

So, all in all, I liked it. If this is the only book you read on negotiating, it won't be wasted time, bu...more
Sergey Kononenko
Definitely one of the best book I've ever read about negotiation process. It's very good structured, easy to understand with interesting and useful examples from real life that makes material even more clean. Books is very short and practical.

Why this book is better than 1000+1 of other books about negotiation?
Probably because R. Fisher and W. Ury describe in "Getting Past No" very positive view on negotiation and stresses that "Win - Win" position is the single right way to communicate with peo...more
J
As an aspiring writer, I have always dreaded the thought that something I might be lucky enough to get published, would end up on some bargain shelf. It turns out my fears are unfounded because the value of a book - this one in particular - has nothing to do with how it was priced.

I picked up this Getting Past No at the Taos Public Library for fifty cents.

William Ury is a talented, engaging writer. His approach is logical, understandable, and makes sense. Getting Past No is the best bargain bo...more
Kelly
Sep 19, 2007 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: office dwellers
Shelves: business
I read this book for a Conflict Resolution class and as a result, conducted a light seminar on its lessons at my workplace. Though some of the content was pretty intuitive (paraphrase, make "I" statements, ask open ended questions), the authors sprinkled in enough case studies, pop culture references and fables to make it interesting. Ideas such as "Don't say 'But,' say 'Yes..And'" in the spirit of "accumulating yeses" gave new perspective. I found "Build Them a Golden Bridge" and "the Power Par...more
Olivia
Not as good as Getting to Yes, but I love how it is laid out in such a simplistic style. Easy to get through.
Zurab Muravyev
Excellent, concise and very well organized book on negotiation. 5 stars!
Erwin
Also OK... Same overall concept as The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes and Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In.

Same as the rules of management. Be fair. Stick to the fair road.
Ashley
I had to read this book for my Negotiations & Relationship Management class and it was extremely helpful. Ury's tips are very simple and helpful when it comes to negotiating in business situations and even in everyday negotiations between your friends and family. This book was also really easy to read and was actually pretty interesting which is not something usually said about school books. I recommend this to anyone who may be negotiating; whether you are a beginner or you've been doing it...more
George
I'm working through a difficult family situation and while this book did not really furnish any examples approximating my own circumstances, it still makes a strong contribution that will help me/us a lot. I'm a big fan of the Harvard Program on Negotiation and always enjoy the related literature like Getting to Yes, The Power of a Positive No, Beyond Reason, Difficult Conversations, Bargaining with the Devil and this one: Getting Past No.
Valerie
I thought that this book was very accurate and I agreed with most of the author's suggested strategies. However, he did not give any secret tricks or hints that most accomplished negotiators would not already know how to use. I think that this book is probably targeting a reader who has not had much experience or success with negotiations.
Tony Canas
A worthy followup to Getting to Yes. Was also recommended to me by a prof in my MBA program. This short book goes pretty in debt on how to effectively handle negotiations with difficult people and get things moving. The two book collection should be mandatory yearly reading for all business people, not just once, but once a year.
Andrew
Had to read this book for my Negotiations class. Nothing to earth-shattering in here but a good overview of how taking a step back and looking at a situation from an opposite view can help allow you to frame your arguments better. The stories keep you entertained but the messages weren't anything I didn't already know.
Adrienne
This is a great book and is very compact, a fast read. If you want to know the basics of negotiation, here is it. After reading several books on the subject, this one still had some good information in it and gave it in a way that helped me understand concepts even better. It makes me want to read Ury's other books.
Kent
Jun 14, 2010 Kent rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kent by: negotiation class instructor
Second time through this classic, and it remains a bedrock book for business and personal dealings. Straightforward language and concepts give the reader great strategy and tools to resolve issues through negotiation.

Good refresher. Hope I didnt read it too quickly, but it's always on the shelf if I need it.
Lily
Jan 08, 2008 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Lily by: my mediator
This book may be one of the most personally meaningful books i have ever read. It has shown me an entirely new way to negotiate with people (especially difficult people) to create mutually beneficial solutions. The information in this book could help a LOT of people. READ IT!
Tom
Ury, William (1991), Getting Past No: Negotiating with Difficult People, Bantam Books, New York, NY. How to deal with negotiators that break all the rules in Getting to Yes. An important addition for those who face hardball tactics and dirty tricks from the other side.
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Silos, Politics, and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • Co-Opetition
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • People Skills
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
William L. Ury co-founded Harvard's Program on Negotiation where he currently directs the Global Negotiation Initiative. He is the author of The Power of a Positive No How to Say No Still Get to Yes (2007) and co-author (with Roger Fisher) of Getting to Yes Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In , a five-million-copy bestseller translated into over twenty languages. "No other book in the field c...more
More about William Ury...
The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In The Third Side: Why We Fight and How We Can Stop Getting to Peace Getting Disputes Resolved: Designing Systems to Cut the Costs of Conflict