Start by marking “Never Tell” as Want to Read:
Never Tell

Never Tell

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Your past will always find you! With her three beautiful children, millionaire husband and Cotswolds mansion, former investigative journalist Rose Miller has an enviable life. But behind the domestic bliss lies a secret past! As Oxford students in the early nineties, Rose and James belonged to Society X, an elite clique that knew no boundaries. Led by the enigmatic Dalziel ...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Avon (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Never Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Tell

M
A book of two halves. Unfortunately, one of them was more interesting than the other. Rose's past (I struggled to remember her name there - and I only finished this book last night...) is told in almost equal parts with her 'present' (although the book did keep switching tense for no real reason I could fathom), a technique which backfires since Rose's current life (kids, housework, Cotswolds, zzzz) is so boring and dull. The book felt confused, and as though it hadn't been edited properly. The ...more
Jayne Charles
This novel is packed with intrigue and mystery – the author demonstrates a determination to keep the reader guessing as well as having a keen ear for toddler-speak (I loved Freddie – he didn’t speak much but everything he said was hilarious).

A huge cast and any number of illegal goings-on (both in the present and in the past) keep everything bubbling furiously, and to finish the book was a must, just to find out how the author would draw the multiple threads of the story together. Secrets are k
Barbara Elsborg
Second time reading this book so I obviously thought it was worth keeping. Worth a second read? Probably not. BUT at least the plot was a bit clearer this time. I recall getting a touch muddled with it last time. It's basically the story of the past catching up with you and the problems that can bring. The switching between past and present worked fine for me. The character of Dalziel was well drawn - he was completely repellent and completely addictive!I felt very sorry for Rose, she was consta ...more
Rehab
Lesley
Liked this but didn't love it. I read anoither Claire Seeber book earlier this year and really enjoyed it so this was a bit of a disappointment.
I didn't mind the back and forth in time bit, I quite like books that do that, but unfortunately the parts written from Rose's past at Oxford, were for me, overwritten and confusing. When events or characters from the past reared up in present day I often had to go back to check who they were or what exactly happened. The whole bit about the waitress who
Fatima Haque
My thoughts on the book
To be honest with you I really did not enjoy reading this book. This was because of many factors like the plot line. I thought the plot line was too confusing and after I read the book I did not get what happened through the most of the book. As well as the fact of the actual story line, it was to dark and uncomfortable. I am the kind of person that loves thriller, suspense and crime but I think that that this book was too much for my liking. This book is a psychological t
To begin with, I wasn't really in-love with this book, and it took me a while to get into.

Rose Miller is a renowned investigative journalist, happily married with three children, and lives in a beautiful house in the Cotswolds. But Rose is a bit bored, and misses the career she once loved, that she hasn't returned to since having her children. She soon finds just one day a week at her local paper is not enough for her, and she takes on the challenge of a more adventurous story.

But waiting round
Donna Henderson
I have mixed feelings about this book. I thought the plot was cleverly weaved together and twisty, but I felt that the loose ends were too conveniently tied up, and some of the suspense went on for way too long, which was so frustrating that I even found that my foot was tapping with anxiety, as I just wanted to get through the pages and finish the book. I enjoy a plot that alternates problems and solutions, but this book just dragged on with the same problem throughout. On a more positive note, ...more
Angela Davies
Haven't read this author before and although I wouldn't rave over this book it kept me wanting to carry on reading. The plot was a bit convoluted and far fetched at times but on the whole I enjoyed this book.
Heffalumpi
I really enjoyed this book, I would say that if you enjoyed The Secret History by Donna Tarrt this is a comparible 'light' version. Not the same story but some of the same feeling and set in England. The main character is believeable and someone that you do want to know more about although some of her actions stretch the imagination and don't fit into what you think that she would actually do.

I don't want to say too much about the story as it would ruin it for others but it certainly kept me gri
Lisa (scarlet21)
A pretty good read; there is a good main story that is sidetracked somewhat by the protagonist's own dabbling into the unknown and this doesn't really seem relevant to the story apart from as an introduction to some dark characters, so it feels a little messy in places. On the whole the concept, that of past life and secrets catching up, is good if not entirely unique and it does hold your interest, though can't help thinking it's a slight disappointment in parts....
The characters are well-round
Nicki
Really good book with plenty of twists and turns that really do keep you guessing.I have bought Lullaby from E-bay and cant wait for it to arrive so i can start reading it.
Paula
Jan 06, 2012 Paula added it
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned this one half way through, although I have put it away to try another time.
For the first quarter of the book, I kept checking to see what genre it was as at first it reminded me a little of a romance type (not mills & boon romance though!). I pushed on to page 148 waiting for the 'dark twisting thriller (Simon Kernick)' to start, and though I can see very faint hints of a it, I am bored with the book.

Abandoned to my re-read shelf 27/12/10
Mandy
Dark, gritty and gripping. It's been a long time since I have read a page turner like this. I loved her writing style, descriptive but not flowery. My only critiscm would be that In order to maintain the suspense Rose's character was slightly flawed, in that as a former journalist, she surely would have asked the questions that we, the reader, were asking. I found her somewhat blind acceptance a little unbelievable at times. That aside, a great read!
Rebecca tedder
I really did enjoy this book.

Though it flitted from past to present - something I don't always find a good thing in a mystery - this read with ease and I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns of the tale.

From the college Secret Society to the mixed up world of modern politics and a falling apart marriage, Seeber kept me interested right up to the very end.

Good read that was easy to lose myself in after a long day.
Diane
I'm sorry I wasted time finishing this. It wasn't worth it. This is the least suspenseful thriller I've ever read. Rose was an unbelievable character and badly drawn. For an apparently award winning journalist she dense. Her probing consisted of asking people to 'tell me the truth'!
The unlikely and improbable scenarios just made this story a farce. I doubt I'll bother with Seeber's other book on my shelf.
Katie Boyden
In general I enjoyed this book, but Rose's character was confusing and switched from hard-hitting journalist to concerned mum to lovestruck teenager even within chapters. The plot, I think, was over-complicated and in the end Kattan didn't really have as much of a role to play as I expected him to. It was a good book, but I wouldn't read it again.
Lynz
Bought in a charity shop a few months ago & picked it up while waiting for another book to arrive in the post, Didn't think I'd read it all esp after reading the first two chapters, but I gave it another go & I'm glad I did. Because I found after a few chapters I couldn't put it down.

Defo gets a thumbs up from me :)
Alison Jones
An excellent twisty thriller about a successful couple who joined the wrong elite group as university students and paid the price in later life. Quite gripping with a pleasing central character. This author never fails to satisfy my reading needs.
Merridy Willson

Excellent! Beautiful first person-narration with a great twist at the end. Claire Seeber is a wonderful find for thriller lovers. She is British but the books don't come across as the usual stuffy British who-done-its.
Gillian
I nearly didn't go through with this book after the second chapter as my perception of the book had changed for the worse but then changed back just as quickly! Very good, it keeps you on tenterhooks!
Thasc
I think this book would have been better if it has been based solely on Rose's time at uni. I found myself getting rather bored with the present day stuff. I liked the character of Dalziel though.
Poshkatt

Probably the worst book I've ever read! It was about as 'thrilling' as a broken down ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach! Just awful *thumbs down*
Allie
Bought on impulse, hooked from the beginning! Well worth a read if you're into crime/thriller/mystery novels :)
Isaw
as in life people only tell you what suits them,
Caroline
What the hell was that all about??
Tracy Morgan
not one of the best ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Janice Goldstraw-White
Janice Goldstraw-White marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Apple Of My Eye
  • Cuckoo
  • Tainted Lives
  • Tell Tale
  • A Perfect Arrangement
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Candlemoth
  • The Strangling on the Stage
  • The Child Inside
  • Pariah
  • How the Girl Guides Won the War
Lullaby Bad Friends. Claire Seeber Fragile Minds Morgen Früh, Wenn Gott Will Nun ruhe sanft und schlaf in Frieden: Psychothriller (German Edition)