Start by marking “Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows” as Want to Read:

When is the right time to shear a sheep? Is there a market for manure? What time of day is best to collect eggs? What is the correct way to milk a goat? What does a duck eat? Can a cow and a sheep share the same pasture? Which types of rabbits are easiest to raise? The perfect book for anyone who has ever dreamed of having that little place in the country, Barnyard in Your ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Barnyard in Your Backyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnyard in Your Backyard

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla EmeryThe Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John SeymourSeed to Seed by Suzanne AshworthThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganPut 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton
Homesteading
218 books — 98 voters
Cradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly CoyneSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonBack to Basics by Abigail R. Gehring
Being "Green"
266 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan
A decent general introduction to raising chicken, waterfowl, rabbits, goats, sheep, or cattle, but assuming a relatively high level of input (both in money and intensive management). Nevertheless, this is a comprehensive introduction to major breeds (but don't forget to check out the American Heritage Breeds Conservancy for additional information on breeds), products each animal can produce, husbandry and health concerns, etc. This could be a good book to have around.
Kayla
Apr 12, 2008 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This was a good book and it had a lot of information on geese and other animals.
Leigh-ann
Jul 01, 2010 Leigh-ann rated it really liked it
An excellent, honest reference book for anyone considering acquiring livestock, whether it be a couple of chickens or a herd of cattle. The author gives a thorough assessment of the pros and cons of owning any "farm animal", and isn't afraid to share the negative information that some other books gloss over. I've owned a book called "Keep Chickens" for the last few years, and it's aimed at people who want to keep a small flock of hens within the city limits to provide the family with fresh eggs. ...more
Athalia
Jun 10, 2012 Athalia rated it really liked it
This book gave a fairly in-depth overview of each - chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, goats, sheep and cattle. I particularly found the descriptions of the animals temperaments and personalities helpful. Anecdotal advice about food, living and human interaction was also welcome. The approach to husbandry in this book assumes outsourced food (commercial grains, feed and hay) and routine medications (worming, vaccinations, etc). It does not have information on creating a holistic environment (perma ...more
Carissa
Nov 15, 2010 Carissa rated it liked it
This book was informative. I did not read this page for page since I am not considering having a cow in my backyard. I read through Chickens, Waterfowl, Rabbits and bits and pieces about goats and sheep. I learned that there are chickens that are primarily used for meat, chickens that are good layers, chickens that can be both and some that are purely ornamental. There is also a duck that isn't really a duck. It's called a Muscovy and acts more like a goose than a duck. It doesn't quack, but it ...more
Russell
Jul 22, 2010 Russell rated it really liked it
Another Storey publication, another outstanding intro to a country living topic. The author/editor Gail Damerow covers 6 type of animals, chickens, ducks and geese, rabbits, goats, sheep, and cattle and goes into details about housing, care, feeding and things to watch for while raising them and what you can expect out of them in terms in temperament and output.

For a novice like me, this introduction to livestock was perfect. It answered all my questions and much more.

Not only is the overview pa
Ellen Bell
Jun 17, 2013 Ellen Bell rated it really liked it
I picked up Barnyard in your Backyard because I was interested in a general overview of the various types of livestock we could begin raising on our small farm. Unfortunately, one of the animals we are most interested in - pigs - isn't discussed in this book. However, those animals that are included in the book are covered pretty thoroughly for a beginner's guide. The book covers things like acquiring stock, breeding and birthing/hatching, potential health ailments, and more. A good book to help ...more
Banana
May 07, 2009 Banana rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books ever! It teaches you how to choose, buy, build shelters for, train, care fore, sell, breed, and do all sorts of other stuff with Ducks, Geese, Chickens, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, Dairy Cattle, and Beef Cattle. I have this book on my desk to refer to whenever I need it. It's a great help when you're trying to pick out an animal. It lists different breeds, along with the ups and downs for each one. If I could give 6 stars to any two books, it would probably be this on ...more
Tracy
Mar 24, 2012 Tracy rated it it was ok
My low rating is more because the book wasn't what I needed. It was a beginners reference to all different types of potential livestock. I just wanted something on chickens, which was there, but a book specifically for the animal you would like to read is a better choice. This is a good book to read before you decide wether to raise anything or not. It can give you a brief run-down on expectations and work each will require.
Heather
Feb 16, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a really awesome book if you are looking to find some basic information about many different barnyard animals. If you want some more specific information, get one of the Storey's Guide books because they are apart of the same series.
This is a truly helpful book and one I would recommend investing in. I have it on my bookshelf and it has come in handy many a time.
Rachel Willis
Aug 15, 2012 Rachel Willis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book for getting a good idea of how to raise barnyard animals in most environments. From routine care to feed schedules to proper buildings, it's a great read for anyone interested in adding livestock to your life.
April
Jun 06, 2011 April rated it really liked it
if this title doesnt make you laugh and smile, then fooey on you. I only read the chapter on chickens, but this book covers every other type of animal one might fancy having in their backyard barnyard.
Ami
Nov 26, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
I found this book to be an excellent resource manual, particularly when it comes to raising chickens. More illustrations or pictures could have pushed this book to four stars. I was also confused on why the author chose to leave out a section on raising pigs.
Katie
Sep 20, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
I have an out-of-print book from the 80s called Back at the Farm that I just love - this book is a present-day equivalent. A wonderful resource for people interested in raising poultry, rabbits, goats, sheep, or cows, and an enjoyable read as well.
Heath
Apr 01, 2012 Heath rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for researching if you might want to get some farm animals. It walks you through initial steps of considering the animal through buying and maintaining the animals. If I move into other animals I would definitely revisit for the information it provides.
Al Valvano
Jul 13, 2010 Al Valvano rated it it was amazing
Very good basic level introduction to the easiest and most common farm animals. Includes all sorts of useful information, from selecting young, to feeding, to housing, to common illnesses. I checked out a copy from the library first, but will be buying this for my reference bookshelf.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homesteading
Great starter book if you are intersted in getting involved with a variety of animals. Gives the basics enough for you to get started and decide which route to go. I continue to use this book for reference.
judith kilgore-atkins
Aug 11, 2014 judith kilgore-atkins rated it it was amazing
There is a lot of information in this book. Whether you have some acreage or a small plot this book will explain all the who, what, where and hows of having *livestock* at your home. Easy to read and lots of hints and suggestions. It was very helpful to me in making some livestock decisions.
Barb Lawrence
Oct 11, 2008 Barb Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: chickens
I just read the chapter on chickens, because that's the info I needed, but this book provided the best information that I have read to date. Very thorough and informative.
Jams
Feb 17, 2014 Jams rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
We've used this guide to raise chickens and rabbits. Maybe we'll have more space someday and try something bigger.
Reba
Dec 05, 2014 Reba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite book of all time. Before I added it to my own personal collection, I checked it out 7 or 8 times.
Al Tillman
Jun 06, 2008 Al Tillman rated it really liked it
Why I chose this book : Acclaimation/Care/Longevity of my Duck. Well that and too understand me...the Rooster, Mwwhha! I love you Monica Maxine Ruiz!
Gabrielle W.
Mar 05, 2012 Gabrielle W. rated it really liked it
A very good book, whether you're new to the farm life or not! Lots of illustrations, and very nicely written.
Jodi Z
Nov 12, 2008 Jodi Z added it
Shelves: reference
Very helpful to our current endeavor. My chickens are most grateful that I learned a thing or two before acquiring them!
Kami
May 14, 2008 Kami rated it liked it
Shelves: eco
I didn't read it all the way through. I will save that for the day when I actually decide to get some animals or not.
Me2
Mar 13, 2009 Me2 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it covers some great information about raising chickens, waterfowl, sheep, goats and cows.
Ida
Jan 27, 2010 Ida rated it it was amazing
Very handy book with quick ref. to useful things...if you have farm animals in your backyard! :) Thinking of adding geese and more ducks to my 'flock' this spring. :)
Leslie Stentz
Oct 25, 2007 Leslie Stentz rated it it was amazing
At first I shunned this book because there were no photos of cute animals. But there are drawings, and black and white lines have never looked more lovely. The text part is good, too.
Jen
May 27, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
A wonderful overview of various barnyard critters: chickens, rabbits, geese and goats. I'm on the way to becoming a self-sustaining hippie.
Kaisha
Kaisha rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2011
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Five Acres and Independence
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start & Succeed in a Farming Enterprise
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
Gail Damerow and her husband operate a family farm in Tennessee where they keep poultry and dairy goats, tend a sizable garden, and maintain a small orchard. They grow and preserve much of their own food, make their own yogurt and ice cream, and bake their own bread. Gail has written extensively on raising livestock, growing fruits and vegetables, and related rural skills. She shares her experienc ...more
More about Gail Damerow...