Start by marking “Collected Prose: Autobiographical Writings, True Stories, Critical Essays, Prefaces, Collaborations with Artists, and Interviews” as Want to Read:

An updated edition with six new essays, including "An Evening at Shea" and "Remembering Beckett," as well as two long interviews from "one of America's greats" (Time Out Chicago)

The celebrated author of Invisible, The New York Trilogy, and The Book of Illusions presents a highly personal collection of essays, prefaces, true stories, autobiographical writings (including the
Published June 22nd 2010 by Picador (first published October 16th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Prose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Prose

Oct 03, 2016 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auster ranges from an intense, clarity of prose (which I enjoy immensely) in his autobiographical works, to an obscenely obtuse and repetitive "postmodern" style like in his City of Glass trilogy. It's clear that he is an exceptional writer, but I can't say I enjoy his more experimental material.
Feb 09, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sam Schulz
was surprised to find out how "normal-sounding" that Gothic dreamboat Auster is, if not in his mystery-noir-cityscape serials, at least in his memoirs. his observations on memory, family, all the "staples," are boring, but reassuring to read nonetheless: it's comforting to know that the more specific one gets, the more universal one becomes. basic memoir stuff here: 9/11, life abroad in Paris, life in Brooklyn, his odd, non-emotional father. there's no subtext here.
Michael Webb
Apr 25, 2015 Michael Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. Worth your time.
Jan 16, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm marking this down slightly as it contains two books I'd already read separately (in their own volumes): The Invention of Solitude and Hand to Mouth. That wasn't at all clear to me from the publisher description and I might have thought twice before buying it if I'd realised. That said, if I hadn't already read and enjoyed those separately it would be a solid four stars because those are good reads (no pun intended).

It also contains The Red Notebook - which, again, has been published separate
Jan 10, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Auster has been a published writer since the 70s, known more for his fiction than his non-fiction, translations, and poetry—though he was a translator and poet first. This comprehensive collection brings together a diversity of prose across thirty years of work—longish memoir pieces, book prefaces, editorials, reviews, and observational pieces. I liked them all and my list of to-be-read books increased by reading this one (Jabes, Hawthorne, Reznikoff, Beckett’s novels). Auster is smart and persu ...more
Aug 25, 2007 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not sure how i feel about auster. i remember reading approximately one page of one of his novels and thought it was ridiculous, despite being so highly recommended. after a couple years, i figured it was time to give him another shot. i'll tell you man, it's slow going. every once in a while he'll hit on something insightful, but i think i might have to abandon him. keep inventing that solitude, p.a.
Jun 24, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Auster is just a fantastic writer and I highly recommmend this book. I am not normally a fan of "collections," but there are several great pieces in here that are worth checking out, especially the essay about his father. Because he writes in so many genres - fiction, personal nonfiction, literary critique - this is a good book to start with if you want to explore more of his writing but don't know where to start.
Collects The Invention of Solitude, Hand to Mouth, The Red Notebook, The Story of My Typewriter, a short NYC living guide thing, various critical essays, prefaces, occasion essays, and two interviews.

This is the only place where most of these critical writings, essays, prefaces, and interviews are collected, so this volume is well worth buying. It's economical, too, as it contains within it four independently published books in addition to all the other stuff.
Jul 15, 2008 Vaughan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those dudes I'd been meaning to check out for years and I'm glad I finally did as this is an on-going favorite (haven't finished it). I love how effortless his writing is and I can't wait to read all of his other stuff. There's little better than finding an author you like who's got a hefty back catalogue just waiting for you; I'm getting ready to dive-in.
Jun 29, 2009 L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man Paul Auster is mostly awfully good at writing, so it is sort of reassuring that when it comes to talking about himself and his life it turns out he has the same problem as most of us and can't tell what is interesting and what is like 30 pages of every concidence or lucky occurrence he has experienced or heard about. THAT IS BORING MR. PAUL AUSTER.
Malini Sridharan
I read this about four years ago, and the Invention of Solitude impressed me very much, more so than the new york trilogy. Just as thoughtful, but more sincere. I can hardly remember anything else from the collection, hence only 3 stars.
could have slashed the number of
grandiloquent critical essays, but an enjoyable
overstuffed sandwich all the same
Auster's essay about his father is very powerful; at this point, I think I prefer his nonfiction but want to read more.
Jim Gietzen
Jim Gietzen rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Johan rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Andy rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Aaron rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Antonio Delgado
Antonio Delgado rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Luísa  Freitas
Jun 08, 2007 Luísa Freitas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Authographed random reading
Nunoidia rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Jeff collins
Jeff collins rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Pete George
Pete George rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
kali rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2007
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2013
Brian Marrero
Brian Marrero rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2010
Jayme M
Jayme M rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2008
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
  • Due Considerations: Essays and Criticism
  • Latest Readings
  • The Archivist's Story
  • False Papers
  • Tales of a Wayside Inn
  • The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark
  • Images of the Beatles
  • The Importance of Being Iceland: Travel Essays in Art
  • Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • The Tale of the 1002nd Night: A Novel
Paul Auster is the bestselling author of Report from the Interior, Winter Journal, Sunset Park, Invisible, The Book of Illusions, and The New York Trilogy, among many other works. He has been awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature, the Prix Médicis Étranger, the Independent Spirit Award, and the Premio Napoli. He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the American Ac ...more
More about Paul Auster...