Start by marking “Night of the Living Trekkies” as Want to Read:
Night of the Living Trekkies

Night of the Living Trekkies

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,660 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
Jim Pike, the disillusioned manager of a hotel that is hosting a Star Trek convention, finds himself leading a ragtag crew of survivors as a strange virus turns the convention-goers into zombies...
Published September 15th 2010 by Quirk Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Living Trekkies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Living Trekkies

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,434 books — 4,010 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,107 books — 2,675 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Star Trek + Zombies...
Kirk Spock McCoy Zombie
For...the...WIN!

This story more than delivered on everything I was hoping for going into it. It met or exceeded expectations in terms of both writing (crisp, polished and very funny) and characters (genuine, endearing, and smart), and the narrative was slick, fast paced and well laid out (i.e., twas nary a boring page). In fact, the overall quality was so surprisingly high that it made me wonder why this book isn’t better known, especially given its popular ingredients.

Sp
Alejandro
Zombies...the Final Menace
These are the struggles of
a bunch of Trekkies trying to survive
when a zombie outbreak hits
a Star Trek convention,
to boldly go where no zombie has gone before!

This novel was FUN-tastic! and "creepy good" ;)

Honestly I didn't think that I'd enjoy so much this book and I don't know what made me to buy it but I am truly glad that I did it since it was a wonderful experience.

It was fun, it was entertaining, it was written with great style and inventive.

Most of all, the auth
Brad
What can one expect from a book called Night of the Living Trekkies?
1. Freaky zombies ✓
10. The obligatory, cheesy, happy-Trek ending ✓
Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall deliver on every expectation and then throw
Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
When a zombie outbreak hits a Star Trek convention, it's up to Jim Pike, hotel manager, to get his sister and her friends out alive...

This showed up in my ebook deals a couple days ago. I'm a Star Trek fan and I liked zombies before the concept was run into the ground so this promised to be some brain-chomping good fun.

And it was. There are plenty of Star Trek references for the Trekkers and lots of zombie goodness for the fans of the reanimated. When you've got Klingons, a woman dressed like Pr
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

This was fun.

Jim Pike was deployed to Afghanistan two times and lost several members of his squad when he happened to be in the hospital for a bleeding ulcer during an ambush. Ever since then, he's felt responsible for their deaths. As a civilian, he's chosen "safe" and easy jobs so he doesn't have to worry about letting anyone down. When the story begins, he's a bellhop/newly promoted assistant manager at a two-star hotel where a Star Trek convention is about to take place.

Little does anyone
Melki
Two Star Trek convention attendees are on their way to the Klingon Feast. Here is a snippet of their conversation:

"Now you're freaking me out," Gary said.

"I'm freaking myself out," Jim said. "But I know two people who were bitten today. One of them developed a really strange rash on her shoulder. And a lot of my coworkers are calling in sick. Isn't this how zombie movies always start? With lots of minor, seemingly unrelated incidents?"

"There's just one problem with your theory," Gary said. "Zom
Melissa
Jun 15, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is a book about a zombie outbreak that takes place in Houston in a hotel that is hosting a Star Trek convention.

Wait, I'm just going to say that again.

Whatever you thought of when you read that sentence, whatever expectations entered your head at the sight of those words - hear me now. This book fulfills that promise times one hundred. I am not kidding. This is hilarious,
This is an extremely silly book...but isn't that the point? :D

The blurb says it all. Our hero is Jim Pike (yes, Trekkies -- that's his real name) & he's a young army vet suffering from PTSD after two disastrous tours in Afghanistan. His newest job is glorified bellhop at a Houston convention center named the Botany Bay (yes, Trekkies -- THAT Botany Bay), which is currently playing host to a weekend Star Trek geekfest. But between hosting Klingon dinner parties & chasing face-painted moro
Terence
Nov 17, 2010 Terence rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trekkies of all stripes & Zombieists (?)
Recommended to Terence by: Brad's GR Review
Up to this stardate I've managed to avoid the zombification/vampirization-of-beloved-literary-icons genre (though I have enjoyed the GR reviews of these works) but based on Brad's review and the fact that it's Trek...well, "resistance is futile," as they say.

I'll probably warp through this over the weekend.
________________________________________________________________

A surprisingly good Zombie-Star Trek adventure. You actually kind of really care about what happens to the people in the book: J
Michael
Aug 31, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Ever since zombies invaded the pages of Jane Austen with great success, publishers have been searching for the next great mash-up novel. Earlier this year, we got "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter," a funny take on the historical biography that asked what if Honest Abe was really a vampire slayer? On the other end of the spectrum is the Hugo-nominated zombie/steampunk novel "Boneshaker."

And then, somewhere in the middle is the mash-up, "Night of the Living Trekkies." The story is a satire, bringi
Mike (the Paladin)
I just finished this one and while it's a bit of a mixed bag (seems to be a phrase I use a lot lately) on the whole (as is that one) this is a thoroughly enjoyable book.

This is a sort of cross genre parody seriocomic tale of the zombie apocalypse...at a Star Trek convention. There are places where the novel touches on many, many...many books and movies that you almost undoubtedly have seen and read. The best part of the book in my opinion was/is the parody. The cliches from zombie, science fict
Sarenna
Jan 09, 2015 Sarenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, zombies
This book was a lot of fun. The geek in me loved the idea of a zombie outbreak at a Star Trek convention. I'm not a Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the Star Trek movies and the original series. How can you not love Captain Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Lt. Uhura? And, of course, Mr. Sulu (George Takei is just awesome).

But I digress. This was a fast, fun read. It had the right amount of cheese, gore, one-liners and general geekiness to make this sci-fi nerd happy.

I probably woul
Sesana
May 21, 2012 Sesana rated it it was amazing
I'm a proud second-generation Trekker, and everybody knows that zombies are awesome. So when somebody writes a book about a zombie outbreak at a Star Trek convention, my only response has to be, "Shut up and take my money."

Here's the thing: Night of the Living Trekkies works equally well as an affectionate parody of Trekkies/Trekkers and as a zombie book. Seriously. The zombies are frightening, gruesome, and even have an original touch. (Alien parasites! How very Trek.) There's good action, wit
Mary JL
Sep 02, 2010 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek /Science fiction fans
I thought this would be a spoof all the way through. I was plesantly surprised to find it much better written than I had expected. Not an award winner---but definitely worth reading once.

The slow build-up of how Jim Pike pulls a diverse group of fans together to survive is well done. I liked the ending. And I do not want to say much because I do not want to spoil things for readers.

It starts a little slow, but I recommend keep reading for a bit. I thought it improved as it went along. It is defi
Becky
May 01, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
You cannot fault a book that does exactly what it says it will. You can judge this book by its cover. You can judge this book by its name.

I mean c'mon, if you are not immediately enticed by that sick & silly cover, then this book probably just isnt for you. Its for people that love Star Trek, and who love zombies*, and just want to ready some brain candy and have some fun. The book is predictable, but the writing is solid, and you will grin your whole way through.

* I dont love zombies. I am
Karla
Dec 02, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it
I got pretty much what I expected going in: plenty of Trek references, a high body count, digs or references to other sci-fi stuff (Star Wars, Stargate, Aliens, Babylon 5), and scenes where the characters reflect and grow and the music grows louder.

So now that I've popped my mash-up cherry, next up is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. :D
Marilyn
May 07, 2017 Marilyn rated it liked it
This was a fun, brain-less novel. It is a zombie story set at a Star Trek convention, which is an interesting mix. It felt a little bit like the authors were like, "Hey! What if we write a book about my favorite thing and your favorite thing!?" Bam! Zombies meet Star Trek.

That said, neither element was terribly developed. I am not a huge Star Trek fan and given the choice between meeting Mark Hamill and William Shatner, I'd choose Mark Hamill just about every day. Although, I bet William Shatne
Julie Davis
May 19, 2012 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scott Danielson, Heather Ordover, Tamahome
I remember seeing this book when it came out and then it slipped my mind. Stephen's review put it squarely back in the middle of my radar. To be fair, Stephen's reviews are always good reading, but this one was so darned enthusiastic that I paid extra attention.
If you hate both Star Trek and Zombies...

I don’t know what to tell you. You obviously have made some wrong decisions in your life that have led you to this unfortunate circumstance. Maybe you should go and take a long hard look at yoursel
Gregory
Aug 02, 2010 Gregory rated it really liked it
Take a large Star Trek convention in a big Texas city and add a zombie apocalypse to it along with some delightful characters and you've got a really enjoyable read. The Star Trek (and some Star Wars) references here were thick and fun. It contains a bit of graphic horror but I don't think it's enough to turn most weak stomachs off. All the chapters were named after well known Star Trek episodes. The final couple of concluding chapters were very well done and wrapped up the story quite nicely. Y ...more
SuperHeroQwimm
Oct 05, 2012 SuperHeroQwimm rated it really liked it
I grabbed this because I love Star Trek and zombies so the idea was awesome but it was much better then I anticipated. The "zombies" were actually infected with an alien parasite (a similar idea to Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher) and have an inner networking system so they can work together. The story takes place at a hotel hosting Gulfcon or as I like to think of it "Gathering of the Trekkies" (star trek fan cosplay) where a man who works there tries to go from room to room avoiding zombies to find ...more
Sharon
Feb 14, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Better than you'd think.
Dennis Hearon
Apr 19, 2017 Dennis Hearon rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Really more of a 2.5 than a 3. It was better than "ok" but I didn't like it enough to want to recommend to a friend. The story seems pretty typical of zombie stories rampant in today's movies, TV, books and graphic novels. The addition of the Star Trek convention and the Star Trek/Star Wars references added a bit of whimsy and fun. The book didn't seem to be able to make up its mind if it wants to be a horror story or a true parody. The book was a quick read and provided some mild amusement.
Jenifer
Apr 24, 2017 Jenifer rated it liked it
Not a book I would normally pick but it was a bookclub selection, so I did read it. It was entertaining, but no surprises on the bad guy. It read like an episode of Star Trek would play out on TV. A quick entertaining read.
Ignacio Senao f
Lo ves en una estantería, piensas que será otra basura más del machacado género zombi que aprovecha algo con tirón y le mete infectados. Te animas a comprarlo, lo haces sin pensar, automáticamente. Luego descansa en tu habitación durante meses hasta que ves una película de serie b y te acuerdas del libro, en ese momento te convences en que será tu próxima lectura.

Te sientas en tu cómoda butaca con semejante mierda de portada, lo abres y lees.

No es lo que uno piensa. Se trata de que en una conven
Jakob
May 19, 2012 Jakob rated it it was amazing
I was a bit skeptical about this book considering the name and all but after reading Stephen's review I was pretty much sold. The book did not disappoint. The characters were solid and likable, the story three tons of fun, and the zombies were actually interesting in their own way.

As I child I watched the old Star Trek, as a preteen I watched the Next Gen, as a teenager I watched Night of the living Dead, Braindead, etc. so this was a very fun combination for me.

KristenR
Oct 20, 2010 KristenR rated it it was amazing
What a fun ride! Trekkies wielding bat'leths and tasers against zombies at a convention. I simply couldn't put it down.
Ladiibbug
Zombies + Star Trek convention ;-)
Megan
Apr 25, 2017 Megan rated it liked it

Dammit Jim, that was fun! Equal parts cheesy, funny, exciting, clichéd, heart-warming, and smart. Add to that mixture a heaping serving of nerdiness and you've got this Star Trek/zombie dramedy. I read this in two days because it was just so damn entertaining. You don't have to be a die hard Trekkie/Trekker to enjoy this book, but it'll add immensely to your reading experience if you are. Each chapter title is the name of a Star Trek episode which somehow relates to the chapter's events
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program. It just looked too quirky and funny to pass up. I expected something moderately humorous and a bit silly, but what I actually got was something way, way better than that. This is an absolutely awesome book. It is very well written, intelligent, and actually really, really funny. This book is just non-stop action from the beginning to the end and it takes an interesting and creative twist that ties Star Trek nicely in with zombies.

Jim use
Patrick D'Orazio
Apr 09, 2011 Patrick D'Orazio rated it it was amazing
I won Night of the Living Trekkies through a website and held on to it for a couple of months before deciding to take a stab at it. My first recollection of the book, before I received it, was the book trailer I saw on the internet. It struck me more as a movie trailer than one for a book, and I was joking with my friends that I wanted to go see the movie and not bother with the book because it was so well done. But after checking the book out, I have to admit, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I ...more
Vampires, Werewol...: Zombies 6 39 Oct 30, 2015 03:22PM
  • Brains: A Zombie Memoir
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Android Karenina
  • The Assassination Game (Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, #4)
  • I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • I, Q
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • Zombie Britannica