Buried in Treasures

Buried in Treasures

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Buried in Treasures outlines a scientifically-based and effective program for helping compulsive hoarders dig their way out of the clutter and chaos of their homes.
Discover the reasons for your problems with acquiring, saving, and hoarding, and learn new ways of thinking about your possessions so you can accurately identify those things you really need and those you can d...more
Published February 8th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 1st 2006)

Sally
So far, so good. I can say that because I'm not a hoarder! And the better news is that I'm finally getting some insight as to why I can't stay on top of clutter.

***************

I found the first part (the why) better than the how-to. There are any number of how-to organize books out there with better and worse instructions on how to go through your things and sort them.

The why of clutter is much more interesting, and a neglected discussion. I found for me, the qualities that contribute to clutt...more
Marcia
This book is about helping people with compulsive harding issues. If you have a family member with hoarding issues, this helps explain their way of thinking and how to deal with and help them. If you have hoarding issues, this is a very practical book to help you understand why you hoard and to overcome this addiction if you want to. If you aren't sure if you are a hoarder, this book will help you undersand yourself better and determine in a relaxed noconfrontational way weather or not you need...more
Laren
This book is written for a target audience of hoarders, but it does have some good information for someone who may have a hoarder in their life. The authors posit that hoarding isn't so much about holding on to useless stuff as it is a disorder with the brain's decision-making process when considering what to discard. Therefore the book breaks down questions that a person can ask (themselves or the hoarder in their life) to aid in that process so that the hoarder may begin to discard. I found th...more
Geri
"Buried in Treasures" is one of the best books I've read on the subject of compulsive hoarding. It's like having a therapist/professional organizer take you through the steps necessary to combat what truly is a genuine disorder (no pun intended). The author addresses many of the characteristics, cognitive dissonance and limitations faced by people with this illness, as well as those who suffer along with them due to living with or near a hoarder. While hoarding is not a new illness, it is becomi...more
Alison Brown
The first workbook I've read for helping hoarders. Since I had already done a lot of the mental shift and physical decluttering before reading this book, it was a little difficult to assess whether this would have been helpful at an earlier stage. However, I do definitely think it's worth reading if you believe you struggle with hoarding but aren't sure how to proceed (and aren't ready to seek professional help)

My two concerns: the quizzes to assess whether you have a problem with hoarding are l...more
Cindy
This poor book did not get a fair read from me. It's the third one I've read now on cluttering and hoarding and I'm just tired of reading about the topic. I will recommend this book to interested relatives primarily because there are highlighted sections providing wise advice for the family and friends of the hoarder. I also liked the little tests the reader could take to evaluate the extent of their problem. However, a good half of the book contains a system for actually cleaning up the hoarder...more
Kat

I dunno about the "scientific" aspect of the authors' approach. But I do know that they ask the right questions, intelligently, and without soft-pedaling or minimizing the problems of hoarders. There's no "just get over it". They show a true understanding of the fact that when one can see fifty uses for an object, that makes it harder to get rid of it. And yet, they encourage the reader to live a real life, unencumbered by stuff and the false selves that the hoard can represent to the hoarder....more
Barbara
I am not a hoarder. But I do see the seeds of compulsive acquiring & saving in myself, and this book was very helpful for that. The book goes beyond the typical "how to get organized" with the three boxes to Keep, Give Away, and Throw Away. It explores some of the thought process behind why we tend to keep things we don't need, and why we keep acquiring things when we have enough. I learned some new things about myself, and will put those things to good use in thinking about whether to acqui...more
Amber
Written for people whose hoarding has really gotten out of control. I was trying to find help for someone who is working up to a hoarding problem, but I don't think this book would be useful...yet. If the person in question took the quizzes in this book, I think they would be convinced they don't have a problem due to the lack of squalor in their home. My Mother In Law is an undeniable hoarder, though, and I saw her clearly in most of the descriptions in this book.
Maurynne  Maxwell
A very well-written look at the possible causes and certain consequences of hoarding. I was able to recognize people I have known and know and also catch glimpses into my own quirks. This book allowed me to be more compassionate and understanding of myself and others and I hope I never get all the way to complete hoarder! But I can see that their therapeutic approach can help; slowing down and making decisions is really a good way to avoid clutter.
Janna
Recently I found out that a friend of mine was a hoarder, so I am doing some research to better understand the condition. This book was chock full of questionnaires to help someone determine whether they are a hoarder and to what degree. Would be a helpful resource (along with a therapist and professional organizer) for someone who wants to break free of the hoarding cycle.
Jef
this book gave me insight into my acquiring, saving and collecting (i'm not to the hoarding stage as described here and elsewhere, but i do have more than a fair share of cds, dvds and books - can you have too many books?). i think this book would probably be useful to anyone who suspects s/he may have a little "too much" around the house.
Denise
I got sidetracked from my other current-reads because this one came in from the library and it is clearly the most insightful book I have ever read on this subject. Whether you have issues with the stuff in your life, or know someone who does, this is
a gem. A book worth adding to your stuff. Set it on an empty shelf when not reading, if you are one of US.
C.interruptus
Really helpful practical recommendations for decluttering and de-hoarding. Don't know if it would work for really bad hoarding cases though. I gave it to the bad hoarding cases in my life and they're still in denial about being hoarders at all because "Hey at least we're not as bad as the people on Hoarders!" Still, this book helped me declutter.
LuAnn
Informative, but not as useful as any of the books by Peter Walsh on overcoming clutter. This books does get more to the heart of why people become compulsive hoarders, and there are lots of "quizzes" to see if you qualify, but from what I've seen of true hoarders, they would never buy this books to find out.
Jenny
I thought I was a hoarder but I guess I'm not. Actually maybe I used to be? I only have 1 room now that is really bad. Course I've been working on it for a few years and I have lots of rooms with nothing extra in them. I didn't realize how bad some people can get. Got to watch myself.
If you are a hoarder, this is a quick read with helpful tools to help you get through making decisions and sorting through your stuff.

I enjoyed this book because I was able to learn and understand how the thought process of a hoarder can work.
Judy
This is a workbook to help people deal with hoarding. I think the authors are honest about the difficulty of treating this problem and have written a good manual for those who have the motivation (or will get motivation from the book) to succeed.
Joanna Bedggood
I bought this book because I am trying to learn more about why people hoard and how to help. This book is geared toward people that are trying to cope with this issue. I thought it was pretty good, but sometimes the tone was a bit condescending.
Chris
Awesome book on learning to be organized and overcome the "collecting" or "hoarding" tendencies we all have to some degree. I also felt it was super helpful in learning to overcome the habit of over acquiring "stuff". Very very helpful.
Sara
This book is helpful for those who know someone who is a hoarder and want to help, but also helpful for general spring cleaning ;) Obviously geared for a target audience, but useful to non-hoarders as well.
Intplibrarian
This is a workbook for people with hoarding problems to work though. I was hoping there would be more info *about* hoarding as a disorder, but there's really not a lot of background info in the book.
Shannon
Didn't really finish this one since it's more a book targeted to hoarders and how to get help, rather than about hoarders. Love Dr. Tolin though, especially when he's on TV helping people with OCD.
Stacy
This book helped me explore and discover why I have trouble getting rid of stuff, and gave me practical tools (questions) to use in determining whether I really need to keep something around.
Amy
Mar 15, 2013 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish. I picked up this book because I had enjoyed reading "Stuff". This was more of a how-to book. I am a pack rat though, so I may find a need for this book later in life. :)
Jan 03, 2008 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have found a new calling, working with hoarders! I love my one hoarder client! So I MUST read this book because David Tolin is the leading authority on the subject!
Ken
Sep 20, 2010 Ken rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hoarders
Shelves: self-help
Although this book is not especially exciting to read, it does have a lot of good ideas. This is a good read for people who have a problem with hoarding.
Denise
I didn't find this book helpful at all. It is written for the compulsive hoarder and wasn't beneficial for the person living with the compulsive hoarder.
Robyn
Filled with tests to rate your acquisition, clutter and/or disposal problems. Help is included to deal with whatever is your weakness. Good stuff.
Rick Woods
A must read for Professional Organizers, family members and friends who want to help those cope with the dark world of hoarding.
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Co-Opetition
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • Ultimate Cheapskate�s Road Map to True Riches, The: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Nasty People
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
Face Your Fears: A Proven Plan to Beat Anxiety, Panic, Phobias, and Obsessions Treating Trichotillomania: Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Hairpulling and Related Problems