Start by marking “The Book of Peach” as Want to Read:
The Book of Peach

The Book of Peach

For fans of Fannie Flagg-the acclaimed author of Heartbreak Cafe delivers a heartwarming, hilarious new novel.

Twenty-three years ago, beauty queen Peach Rondell left Mississippi and vowed never to return. Now she's back, divorced and heartbroken, trying to figure out how her life went so terribly wrong. To escape her mama's scrutinizing gaze, she spends her days in a l
Published August 3rd 2010 by Berkley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Peach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Peach

Nancy H
Feb 04, 2012 Nancy H rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book with great truths in it for any woman who has ever been misunderstood by her mother. It is a good story about loss, redemption, family, and finding out the truth about who you really are.
Deborah Harless
Oct 21, 2010 Deborah Harless rated it did not like it
Whiny, overly inspirational chick lit
Jen
Oct 13, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Dell's story (Heartbreak Cafe) from Peach's perspective. Really sweet and cute.
GeorNocen
Oct 06, 2016 GeorNocen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente libro, muy llevadero y divertido!
Margaret
Feb 12, 2014 Margaret rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I can't review this book because I didn't finish it, but I can tell you why I didn't finish it.

The first chapter has "true southern lady" Peach Rondell returning to her Mississippi home to once again live with her mother. Her husband, one day after celebrating Peach's 45th birthday tells her he no longer loves her. Left with no home, no finances, and no job, there is nothing more Peach can do. Besides, her therapy convinced her that to move forward in her life, she must revisit her past.

Ok, not
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books:

Desde que leí El café de los corazones rotos quedé totalmente enganchada con la historia y con el estilo de escritura de Stokes. Así que cuando Ediciones B lanzó en nuestro país el Regreso, fui la primera en buscarlo. Sin embargo, esta novela no es una "continuación" de la primera, sino, como bien dice el título, es un regreso a la historia, un flash back contado desde Peach.

Peach es una cuarentona que abruptamente encuentra su vida rota: su marido la ha dejado, s
Michelle
Mar 31, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
 Gigi Ann
Oct 12, 2012 Gigi Ann rated it it was ok
This is the first time I've read a book by this author, and I must say I have mixed feelings about it. It is the story about the relationship between a mother and daughter. The daughter Peach Rondell, a former beauty queen, left home 23 years earlier vowing never to return to Mississippi again. However, now she is back! Divorced and heartbroken, she is trying to figure out how her life went so wrong.

Peach blames her psychiatrist, who thought it would be a good idea for her to revisit the past. N
Fran Wheeler
Mar 10, 2013 Fran Wheeler rated it did not like it
The tag line on the back of The Book of Peach says it is "hilarious and heartwarming". It should have said whiney and witless. To be fair to author Penelope Stokes, I only read three-quarters of this book when I finally decided that I either needed to stop reading it or I might poke my eyes out in a sad attempt at self-preservation.

The Book of Peach tells the story of Peach Rhondell, a forty-something, ex-beauty queen. After separating from her husband, she returns to her family home in Mississi
Mike
Jul 14, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
WOW! is all I can say about this book. I have been lazy so far as giving my comments on several books I've read in the last few months. I enjoy reading for the pure pleasure of it. This book gave me much pleasure. Small town regular people is what this book is about to me. I believe that in this story, Ms. Stokes has produced one of the most heartwarming and thought provoking images I've found in quite some time. Not only does she give the reader a painting by her use of words but she offers ...more
Beth Withers
Sep 20, 2015 Beth Withers rated it really liked it
Mary
Dec 28, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Twenty-three years ago, Peach (Priscilla) Rondell left her mother's home and swore to never return. After being dumped by her husband, her psychiatrist thinks it would be a good idea for her to go back home and relive her past. He gives her a journal to write down her thoughts and feelings. This books reads like a play in two acts. The first act is Peach coming home and remembering so much of her youth under the eye of her rather snotty mother who believes she should only be with her "kind". The ...more
Tasha
Aug 04, 2014 Tasha rated it liked it
Despite some of the negative reviews of this book I decided to read it anyway. Overall, the book was nice-okay. The constant complaining became a bit much at times, however this is a personality trait I have seen in many people who are not able to overcome their past.

The progression of the book was a bit bothersome at times. It was slow in the beginning but started picking up a 1/3 way in. I believed important things were left out and slight references were made that were never expounded on.

It
Linda
Apr 15, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close to home

What can I say about this book? There were laughs, there were truths, there were years, and there were wishes. For anyone that has a mother that was domineering in their life and need just a hug or a tender pat, this is the story for you.
I too needed those things from my mother and wish I had read this book 8 months ago so I could have tell my mother how much I needed her to hold me and to listen to me and that I was glad she lived with me.
This book brings out the love for mother
Name Doris Powell
May 03, 2015 Name Doris Powell rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Ms. Stokes is a North Carolina author, and I always enjoy reading their novels. However, the book takes place in Mississippi, and Peach is a nickname for Priscilla. Peach has recently separated from her husband and has come back to her childhood home. She is trying to find herself after 20 years of marriage to the same man. Her psychiatrist suggested to come back home and also try journaling as a way to reconcile herself to her childhood with a demanding mother. Her mother ...more
Phyllis
Sep 25, 2010 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Peach Rondell grew up being told she was a Belle and was always to act like a Southern lady. Now Peach is 45, her husband has left her and she has to move back to live in Mississippi with her mother.
The Book of Peach is full of insights Peach gains as she writes in her journal (instigated by her therapist) of her life with her mother in the past and now and what she learns from her new friends who accept her as she is.
Living in the South, I found myself really relating to Peach and the small to
Ken Bickley
Jun 09, 2014 Ken Bickley rated it really liked it
Bonnie, my wife, really liked this book, but I might never have read it had the cover blurb by Philip Gulley not called Penelope Stokes a "bright beacon". It would've been my loss. How to categorize the book? "The Help" slightly askew? Southern Living turned on its ear? Hard to put a label on it, except to stress that I read it through in less than one day, and found that, as Gulley said, "Her stories touch the heart". As for Penelope Stokes, maybe I'd say she's Jan Karon with a mean streak. ...more
Kimberly DuBoise
Jul 07, 2014 Kimberly DuBoise rated it really liked it
This book looks at relationships, self growth and the South with a humor and wit that I enjoyed. I loved the format of the book and the insights, too. This book paints such a feeling of presence and characters of uniqueness! I found the family dynamics and social mores to be painfully and insightfully portrayed. I truly enjoyed this book.. I felt like I had an emotional journey with the main character and I will be reading more of this author's books!
Jodi
Dec 09, 2010 Jodi rated it liked it
This book started out so good. It was about the difficulties of realtionships with mother and daugthers. I loved it. Then about half way through it turned into a whole other story. I had read heartbreak cafe and this was the same story written from another persons perscpective. In the end it came back to the mother daugther relationship, but by then the story was ruined. It was a good book, but went off track I thought.
Karen
Jun 02, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Made me take a harder look at the relationship I have with my mother. I currently am her care taker for all tasks except for living. She lives independently but has macular degeneration and can't drive or read, unless she uses a magnifying glass. So I pay all her bills, take her to the store, and doctor appointments. We have a pretty good relationship, but this book just helped me to look at her situation with different eyes.
Christe
Aug 23, 2010 Christe rated it really liked it
Once again another wonderful thought provoking book from southern writer,Penelope Stokes. You'll love the way this book makes you tear up from the tender moments & laugh out loud at Peach's way with words! ;) It definitely makes you realize your relationship with your Mother & how friends are sooo important, sometimes more than family, actually they are your 'extended' family, too. Anyway, you will enjoy this story & how it may relate to your own past or present life experiences. ...more
Vikki
May 09, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty simple little book. But I did find myself thinking about the book when I was away from it. (For me, that is the mark of a good book.) It is the story of Peach Rondell. She is at a crossroads in her life and goes to her family's antebellum home in Mississippi for a short visit and ends up staying a year. She finds a home and friends at the Heartbreak Cafe. She and her mother work on lifelong issues. I really did enjoy this simple little book.
Redkitsune
Aug 08, 2016 Redkitsune rated it did not like it
It was fun at the beginning - Peach complaining how her mother and grandmother wanted to make her a "perfect southern lady", but then I found myself reading about a family drama with constant flashbacks - it was not the type of book I wanted to read right now... perhaps the cover is misleading - I read the version in spanish and it looks like a sort of chick-lit/romantic book. But neverminding that, I didn't like the story.
Melissa
Apr 02, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Certainly not a book that stimulates thinking. it generalizes and nearly insults southern women. It wallows in self pity and blame. It is not a book I would necessarily recommend as a "must read", but now and again, I need a mindless read, that sweeps me into a certain calmness. I did find that here.
Terri
Sep 16, 2012 Terri rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. While it has some unfinished items, and time is just gone in places, it has some truths that will hit home if you take the time to understand. The book is deceptive in one way--it's a very easy, fast read, but if you slow down in places, some of the words and thoughts might mean something to you...they did for me.
Yael Cornejo
Jun 29, 2015 Yael Cornejo rated it it was amazing
Me faltan estrellas. No hay manera de explicar TODO lo que este libro me hizo sentir. Sigue la misma serie de eventos que Heartbreak Cafe pero desde el punto de vista Peach y su vida y la relación con su madre. Todos sus pensamientos solamente me llenaban de recuerdos de los míos, aunque Peach ya sea una señora hecha de 45 años. ME ENCANTÓ.
Meleah Allard
Aug 25, 2013 Meleah Allard rated it it was amazing
I just love this book! It was more like therapy than a novel. I think I may have worked out some of my issues with my own mother while reading it. Sometimes I have a hard time visualizing writing but not with this author. She writes in a way that creates word pictures in my head. Definitely worth your time!!
Sara Gómez
Jan 11, 2014 Sara Gómez rated it it was amazing
Qué decir de este libro.
Lo primero es decir que supera con creces el primero, que me ha sido imposible soltarlo.
Lo segundo, conmovedor, una historia bonita donde las haya y real. Los sentimientos de Peach, lo hemos tenido todos alguna vez y los que no seguramente los tendremos

Cinco estrellas para esta pedazo de historia.
Ruth
Nov 07, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: southern
Whitney
Dec 01, 2013 Whitney rated it did not like it
I could not even finish it. I didn't get past the first chapter and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I would've given it 0 stars but then it would look like I didn't rate it at all and I wanted it to be known that I rated it very poorly.
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)
  • Southern Living
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • Sweet Jiminy
  • Wicked Wonderland
  • Catfish Alley
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • The House on Butterfly Way
  • Restless in Carolina (Southern Discomfort #3)
  • When You Least Expect It
  • On Grandma's Porch: Stories and True Facts about Growing up Southern in the Good Old Days (Sweet Tea, #3)
  • Bliss
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • Fortunate Harbor (Happiness Key Series, #2)
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • The Rock Orchard
  • Body Master (The Body, #1)
It’s often been debated whether a person’s destiny lies in genetics or environment, but either way, I suppose I was destined to be a fiction writer. A Baby Boomer with an English teacher and a social worker for parents, I grew up being challenged to develop my imagination, and to seek out for myself the meaning and significance of life. I learned early both the magic and mystery of stories and the ...more
More about Penelope J. Stokes...