Start by marking “ReChurch: Healing Your Way Back to the People of God” as Want to Read:
ReChurch: Healing Your Way Back to the People of God

ReChurch: Healing Your Way Back to the People of God

It seems that everyone who has ever been part of a church has suffered a “church hurt.” The pastor had an affair or the congregation fought over money or the leaders were disguising gossip as “prayer.” Stephen Mansfield has been there. Though he is now a "New York Times" best-selling author, he was a pastor for over 20 years, and he loved it—until he learned how much a ...more
Published March 31st 2010 by BarnaBooks (first published January 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about ReChurch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ReChurch

Sharen
Feb 18, 2012 Sharen rated it did not like it
Chapter 3 of this book drove me nuts!

Basically he advises that we just lower our expectations of church because
people are a combination of good and evil, so we should not expect much from
the church.

NO NO NO!

God did something when He drew us to Jesus. We became NEW CREATURES in CHRIST JESUS.
He didn't just patch us up a little bit, he changed us completely!

If we are not new creatures,the we will have to spend all our time on earth
performing to make our good self a little better, so it wins over
Dottie Parish
ReChurch: Healing Your Way Back to the People of God is a book for individuals who have experienced traumatic hurts in church. It teaches a process to heal the hurt and return to church. Though some church members have been hurt or even traumatized by a church or pastor, Mansfield globalizes this. The back cover states that "If you've ever attended church you've probably suffered a church hurt." Really! Most churches are safer than any other group I can think of. Mansfield also does not ...more
Andrea
Aug 04, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
If you have been hurt by a "church" whether in leadership or not, this is a good book to help you gain perspective. Stephen Mansfield does not coddle you in your pain, but challenges you to rethink what the purpose of church is, how you handle your covenant and how to work through the disappointment you feel. He does not write to placate, but to challenge. A book worth reading if you have been disillusioned w/ the church or have friends who have.
Amy
Sep 07, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
According to researcher George Barna, the U.S. church has an epidemic on its hands—ecclesia exitus more commonly called “the church drop-out.” It starts with disillusionment, an injustice, a hurt, which is soon followed by anger and bitterness, and then finally, a choice to worship away from the church. Fortunately, treatment is available for the ecclesia exitus, and ReChurch by Stephen Mansfield is a great place to start.

ReChurch is a book about recovering from wounds left by friendly or unfrie
Adam Shields
Jun 08, 2011 Adam Shields rated it liked it
Short Review: This is a book for people that have been hurt by the church (which is probably everyone.) More importantly it is a book about letting go of the pain and finding healing by being a part of the church again. It is not a gentle book, but I think it is probably helpful for many.

Full review at http://bookwi.se/rechurch-healing-you...
Dan
Feb 07, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
Hard to decide whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. Really a 3.5. (So many seem to fit in this category). In the end gave it 4 just because the author speaks clearly to the good reasons for leaving any particular fellowship, and deals with the unacceptable reasons just as lucidly. Somebody needed to do this!
J
Sep 07, 2016 J rated it really liked it
helped to work through thoughts and feelings of hurts caused by church organizations. a bit touchy-feely at times, but many practical 'how can i learn from this and be better' ideas.
Toni Stanton
Oct 10, 2012 Toni Stanton rated it really liked it
Great for anyone who has been Seriously hurt by their church family. A former pastor, Mansfield has been there, and so writes with clarity from the heart.
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
Gena Keszthelyi
Gena Keszthelyi rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Phil Gould
Phil Gould rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Melissa Mashburn
Melissa Mashburn rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Donna Doornik
Donna Doornik rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Erika
Erika rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Sharyn Settem-spradlin
Sharyn Settem-spradlin rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Judy
Feb 01, 2013 Judy added it
interesting personal experience rooted in reflection and guided by honest look at scripture
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2011
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Zack
Zack rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Angela W.
Angela W. rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Kristy Richards
Kristy Richards rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Mar
Mar rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
John Lewis
John Lewis rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Melanie Pennington
Melanie Pennington rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2013
L.L. Martin
L.L. Martin rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Stephen Mansfield is a New York Times bestselling author and a popular speaker who is becoming one of the nation’s most respected voices on religion and American culture. He is also an activist in a variety of social causes.

Stephen was born in Georgia but grew up largely in Europe due to his father’s career as an officer in the United States Army. After a youth filled with sports, travel, and misc
More about Stephen Mansfield...