Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)

Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  71 reviews

Outsider in Amsterdam is the first in The Amsterdam Cops series of internationally renowned mysteries. It was o...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Outsider in Amsterdam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsider in Amsterdam

Sue
This is my first Dutch mystery, perhaps my first Dutch novel. It begins with the arrival of the lead detectives at the Hindist Society, whose leader has been found hanging from a noose in his quarters. Of course there are questions without answers about the death, the Society, life and death itself,the presence of drugs in Amsterdam, cats--yes cats as there is one over active and somewhat diabolical, well-loved specimen involved in the story.

Grijpstra and deGier are the lead detectives in questi...more
Mark
Sep 09, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels that are different
The first novel in the Grijpstra en de Gier series is a famous one because it was filmed with the brilliant Rutger Hauer, sans the mustache de Gier carries in the novels, and the equally brilliant Rijk de Gooyer ( who did play Grijpstra in another movie but sadly without Hauer). The movie breaths like the book by the Wetering the laidbackishness that is actually quite characteristically of most of the series. The books are less about the solving of crime but far more about the human interaction...more
Harry
A bit of a disappointment for me. I am Dutch and have lived in and around Amsterdam, so imagine my anticipation of reading Wetering (a well known Dutch author), knowing it would be like coming home. But it didn't happen. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with this book. Some of the Dutch humor does come through, the curious Dutch sensibility that lets any emotion come to the surface only after filtering it through a sobering, rational mind often does come through as funny. Perhaps it's a...more
Karl
The book makes me want to go and visit Amsterdam, in the summer, You know this is not your average police procedural when the main character play jazz, and actually have lives outside of work. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Stefan Percy
Not sure where I first heard about this author, but seeing as he was writing about Amsterdam and the Netherlands it piqued my interest. I have Dutch heritage and family still living just outside Amsterdam, so, I was interested in at least reading one of his novels to see what it was like. I enjoyed it, and will most likely look into reading others in the series.

Outsider in Amsterdam was a very easy read. Janwillem van de Wetering keeps the reader interested, but doesn't over do it. As the story...more
Amy
It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the characters. They had a subtle sense of humor that I enjoyed.

In just reading about it, it didn't seem like something I would enjoy, so I picked it up thinking I would put it right back down again. Glad I gave it a chance!

At first, I didn't think the mystery would carry through the whole book, but there were many twists and turns. I did lose a little interest in the whole case by the end.

I plan to check out the other books in the series and see h...more
Elizabeth K.
This is the first in the Grijpstra and de Gier series. I have read maybe two others, out of order, over the years, and enjoyed them well enough but for whatever reason, I had not picked up the first one until I saw it recently at the library.

So, Grijpstra and de Gier are police detectives in Amsterdam, Grijpstra is the more senior (they go over the Dutch police ranking system about a million times in the series but I've never quite absorbed it) married, rumpled, slightly stout one, and his junio...more
Richard
The first of the series that ended with >10 books involving the exploits of Amsterdam cops de Gier and Grijpstra. Good mystery, set in Amsterdam as the title implies, the city where the author spent at least a few years around the age of 30 on the police department after moving to London, South Africa and South America for a few years. The book evokes the richness of old town Amsterdam which is completely absorbing and all the more rich if you're seen it in person.

Van de Wettering who died re...more
Martyn V. (aka Baron Sang Froid) Halm
If your pleasure is the action-driven thriller with cardboard characters, skip this review. Outsider in Amsterdam, the first in the 'Grijpstra and De Gier' series, is based on the characters of Adjutant Henk Grijpstra, weary from life with oppressing wife and children, and Sergeant Rinus De Gier, a young bachelor attached only to Oliver, his psychotic tomcat.

Although, like most 'mysteries', there is a murder to solve—the apparent suicide of the leader of a small semi-religious sect—the case take...more
Sam Catanzaro
A very well written and translated foreign book is perhaps one of the most engrossing and satisfying things to read, as the reader is often given a taste of what it's like to be in the respected location. This book does all of this, plus has a engrossing mystery as it's foremost feature. But it's as if the mystery is back story, and the day-to-day life of two Dutch policemen in Amsterdam is the focus of the book. At first this can be pretty boring, but once you really get into the rhythm of thes...more
Monica
"Piet Verboom is found dangling from a beam in the Hindist Society he ran as a restaurant-commune in a quiet Amsterdam street. Detective-Adjutant Grijpstra and Sergeant de Gier of the Amsterdam police force are sent to investigate what looks like a simple suicide. "

This quirky mystery made me smile from beginning to end. This is the first book in this series of mystery crime books by Janwillem van de Wetering...all taking place in Amsterdam. Detective-Adjutant Grijpstra and Sergeant de Gier are...more
Brenda Mengeling
Outsider in Amsterdam is the first in the Amsterdam Cops series by Janwillem van de Wetering. I enjoyed it very much. The two cops, Detective-Adjutant Grijpstra and Sergeant de Gier, reminded me of the Inspector Lewis series on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS. They are both well-rounded characters. The story takes place in 1973 and involves a Papuan man from Dutch New Guninea, who has dual citizenship and now resides in Amsterdam. The author assumes to a certain extent that the reader understands tha...more
Pat
Amusing repartee and quirky personal characterizations create a likable crime fighting duo that predates many on TV and books shelves today. First of a long series that hopefully includes more depth of the Amsterdam/Dutch mileu. Translation a little sketchy sometimes - the efforts to try to catch the impression get lost. Certainly on the 'to be read' list.
Sandie
Janwillem van de Wetering is an acquired taste, a Dutch mystery writer who lives in Maine and who whose books were published in the 70s and 80s, I suspect. He has also written nonfiction and children's books.
This book is the first mystery in the Grijpstra and de Gier series. The two detectives have vastly different personalities and personal lives. It concerns a man found dead of an apparent suicide in a large house that is a restaurant/bar and something of a cult house. The house is run by a ma...more
Diane
This is the first in the Grijpstra & de Gier mystery series. I have read a number of others, and by comparison, this story feels not quite as well drawn and the characters are maybe even a little flaky. Nonetheless, it is good entertainment and I recommend it highly. Probably more of three and a half stars than three.
Karen Heuler
I adore the tone, the wryness, the thoughtfulness, the weirdly polite and rational set of even the criminals here (the final "shootout" is a courteous discussion between police and criminal about what they expected would happen, and how to resolve it respectfully.) I love this. And yes, the "mystery" isn't what this is about. This is about life.
Dora Truong
Loved this book from beginning to end. Fascinating characters, fast paced and easy to visualize, what's not to love. Reading a book from 1975 was fun, too. No computers, cell phones or internet to complicate the action. Loved the end. The Papuan ex-policeman was a delightfully complex perp.
Melissa
For a book written 38 years ago and translated, I was pretty impressed. It still managed to stay topical (to the point that I wondered why they didn't use their cell phone, then caught myself) and interesting.
I'm not going to run out and read the whole series, but I enjoyed this book. It was a nice, easy summer read.
Monica
I enjoyed this book when I first read it over 30 years ago, and it's a real pleasure to see how well it has stood the test of time. Grijpstra, the adjutant, and his Sergeant de Gier are great characters - Grijpstra the middle aged family man (and drummer)and de Gier, the philosophical bachelor (and flute player) with the roaming eye and the homicidal Siamese cat.

Amsterdam is as much a character as the cops - the geography, the street life and the lingering influence of the Dutch colonial experie...more
Marilyn
Van de Wetering's novels are a delight to read. A cool experience - no psychological depths to plumb, some humor to enjoy, and just a lovely cerebral trip. This was his first novel where he introduces his famous characters Detective-Adjutant, Grijpstra, and Sargeant de Gier of the Amsterdam police. They are clever friends who have a philosophical bent to life which includes sorting out crimes by a pecking order of seriousness -- letting those that make no sense go by the wayside. This story was...more
Pat De
I liked the interaction between the two detectives and also the approach to crime in the NL. I thought there was a lot of philosophizing going on and found that interesting. Maybe my connection to the NL made it more enjoyable.
Matt
A nearly perfect first novel in a series of great detective stories. It's about drugs and phony religions, about murder most fair. The detective team of Grijpstra and De Gier-- the former plodding, pudgy, and easily underestimated, the latter energetic, athletic, handsome, and vain-- are perhaps the only police team that solve murders while they improvise jazz on confiscated instruments.

This is a light read, but it manages to contain a wonderful panoply of Zen philosophy, humor, and police proce...more
Mell
This is the first of 12 I think. I don't know if it's that the author is Dutch, maybe it was written in Dutch and then translated, mayb it was written in English by someone who speaks it as a second language, but one of my favorite aspects of this book and the second in the series (the two I've read to date) is the writing. It's just cute. This one was written/published in the 70's and the things that date the book also add to the charm. That's a good way to describe the book... charming. The st...more
Lynne-marie
Well, I'll admit up front a fondness for this quirky pair of Amsterdam cops, who don't seem well matched, but do very well together, thank you so much! Here they are sent to investigate the supposed suicide of a man who ran a Hindist commune of a sort, but though he's hanging from a beam, it develops that he was put there after he was dead and besides there's not much Hindist about the commune and it's losing members besides. I won't go on, but Grijpstra & De Grier do to much amusement and a...more
Frank
I enjoyed this book. There is not very much action. What I enjoyed about this book is the interaction between the 2 detectives and the revelations of their character. They have a charming dialogue. It made the book more intimate.

In fact, the dialogue these 2 detectives develop with other characters are very entertaining, and plausible. They are very good talkers. The interaction between Detective de Grier and the beautiful single mother made me feel like a voyeur, and I liked that.
The descript...more
Stephen
Something extremely compelling about this book. I love Grijpstra and de Gier. They are wonderful together and think and speak of things uncharacteristic of policemen.
Marvin
This mystery, set in Amsterdam with a Papuan suspect, was recommended to me by Sue Dallam. It struck me as a typical murder mystery. I don't read many. I generally find the stories engaging but don't get the point of reading "genre" fiction that follows formulas. Sue told me that she liked this one because the two detectives were so laid back, casual, and funny, where most mysteries are pretty intense. I guess I can see that, though I don't read enough of the "genre" to get that on my own. So, a...more
Donald Nadreau
I enjoy reading books about foreign countries. This book fit the bill nicely. We have been to Amsterdam several times and I enjoy reading about places I've been. The mystery itself was well developed, so the book moved at a good pace. The outcome was not know until late in the book. One of the best parts of the book is the relationship between the two detectives and how they solve the murder. This is the first in the series for these two characters. I will be reading more in the future.
Liz
another excellent mystery from de Wetering and fun to read it while in Amsterdam.
Benjamin
I liked it, but it was published many years ago and the racial attitudes are dated.
  • Entanglement (Teodor Szacki, #1)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Sleeping Car Murders
  • Murder Down Under
  • Summertime All The Cats Are Bored
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Death of an Englishman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • Total Chaos
  • Murder at the Savoy (Martin Beck #6)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • The Chinese Bell Murders
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Yellow Dog
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery The Corpse on the Dike Tumbleweed A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)