Start by marking “Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah, #13)” as Want to Read:
Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah, #13)

Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah #13)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ella Clah is no longer an unsure young woman recently returned to the Navajo Reservation from a stint with the FBI; she has found her place in her tribe, her clan, and her family. She has seen the Diné at their worst—and at their best—as they balance the modern era with the traditional Navajo way of life.

Ervin Benally, son-in-law of the powerful Navajo businesswoman and po
Published February 2nd 2010 by Forge Books (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote's Wife

Doug Clark
Coyote’s Wife by Aime’e and David Thurlo is the twelfth novel in their mystery series about Ella Clah, a Navajo woman who is a Special Investigator for the Navajo Tribal Police. The Thurlos started the series with Blackening Song written in 1995, and have continued writing Ella Clah mysteries at a pace of about one a year. Since then, not only do they have the series featuring Ella Clah, but they have also written several novels in several other series. Coyote’s Wife was originally published in ...more
Victoria Moore
"Coyote's Wife" by Aimee and David Thurlo is a very well-written procedural police mystery with a compelling cast of characters and a beautiful New Mexico scenery that serves as one of its most interesting characters. Set on the reservation ("rez") called "Navajo Nation" it follows the case of main detective Ella Clah as she tries to figure out who's trying to sabotage "StarTalk," a phone service company that wants to put cellular towers on the reservation so that everyone there can have a more ...more
Jewett
i am on a Thurlo book. This is a good one - it covers all possible enemies. In the end Ella has made a new enemy she will probably have to deal with later.
Joe White
At the risk of hate mail, this was written by a woman, about women, for women. While it adopted the geography, people, and topics of Tony Hillerman's writing, it lacks the clarity and tone of his writing. Too many possible outcomes and villains were presented which affected various outcomes with the directed action not having a precise motivation and target combination. That aspect of the reading detracted from any given tension point reaching its potential climax. The leading characters seemed ...more
Scilla
This is a Tony Hillerman copy - about the Navaho Tribal Police. Ella Clah has been in the FBI, and is back on the reservation as a Special Investigator. Ella and Justine are out in the forest when a bloody man dies in front of their car. It appears he may have cut himself with a chainsaw, but soon they realize there is more to the story. Ervin Benally, who is trying to bring cell service to the reservation, and who's truck the man was driving begins to have more accidents; someone is finding out ...more
Susan Ward
An Ella Clah mystery. Love reading these stories taking place on the Navaho reservation.
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was a good read. The series keeps getting better and better! I love the characters and their interplay, and the suspense of the series is excellent.
Clare
So far, so good! I really enjoy this series...my only beef is that by the time the new ones come out, I've forgotten a lot of what went on in the earlier ones, so when the authors reference a past event, I'm racking my brain, trying to remember. Heroine is strong, smart, & doesn't take stupid risks. Very atmospheric.

Be warned...they mention a lot of meals, so if you're dieting, don't read this on an empty stomach or you'll be driving straight to the nearest Tex-Mex place!!!
Kathryn
I picked this up not knowing it was so far along in the series. Ella Clah now has a 9-year-old daughter ... she was nowhere near pregnant the last time I read a book in the series.

Getting tired of the constant conspiracy vein of the series. I may be wrong, but I cannot believe the Navajo people are this vindictive with one another. I loved Tony Hillerman's books much better.
Rosie Beck
The 11th book with Ella Clah, Special Investigator in the Navajo Nation. Like Hillerman, with much information about Navajo ways (Dine) and how things are dealt with slightly differently on the Rez. Benally is trying to bring phone service to the entire nation, but his mother in law, Abigail Yellowhair, may want in on the money to be made.
Elaine
Okay, I figured out how to edit my original review (see posting recent). Latest in a great series of Navajo Reservation genre books. Start at the beginning of the series, though, to learn the characters' lives up to now. Aimee and David Thurlo have done a great deal of research, depth of detail, and very unique story lines.
Amy
Another good installment in the series. I enjoy series where the characters develop and change from book to book - and this is one of those. Fast paced with plot twists that caught me flat footed. A good weaving of traditional and modern Navaho culture in a mystery setting.
Bondama
I took this book fro the Library because I was such a huge Tony Hillerman fan -- Biig Mistake!! All the color, the lightm, and the dignity of the Dine (Navajo) has been leached out by this couples' poor writing. Waste of time.
Michele bookloverforever
another Ella Clah mystery. somewhat noirish. wreathed in Navajo beliefs, customs and culture. Mayhem and murder. Strong female detective torn between modern living and traditional beliefs. Interesting.
tomlinton
The culture's as good as Hillerman's
The story might be stronger
but not as character driven
As to the writing
Slightly clunky
by comparison
Linda
This is a fast moving mystery set in the Navajo Nation of the 4 corners region. It's loaded with Native American beliefs and customs.
Alice
This partnership is a fitting heir to Tony Hillerman's mantle. A great addition to my "read-em-all" list.
Ruth
This is the last Ella Clah book so far...not a heavyweight but still interesting.
Lila
My first Ella Clah novel.....passed the time on a long road trip.
Robin
I enjoyed this a bit more than some of the Ella Clah series.
Mariana
A good book until the authors mixed in Skinwalkers.
Cindy
The latest in the Ella Clah series, which I love!
John Hanscom
good book, especially the Navajo culture.
Jannette Thompson
Jannette Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Apr 15, 2015
Jcrooks
Jcrooks marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • Sky Woman Falling
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo...

Ella Clah (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)
  • Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)
  • Changing Woman (Ella Clah, #7)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • Wind Spirit (Ella Clah, #9)
  • White Thunder (Ella Clah, #10)
Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3) Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2) Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6) Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)