Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You

Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Making Sense of Japanese is the fruit of one foolhardy American's thirty-year struggle to learn and teach the Language of the Infinite. Previously known as Gone Fishin', this book has brought Jay Rubin more feedback than any of his literary translations or scholarly tomes, "even if," he says, "you discount the hate mail from spin-casters and the stray gill-netter."

To conv...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Kodansha Europe (first published 1992)

Joe
I discovered Jay Rubin as one of Murakami Haruki's translators, and had been meaning to pick up this for some time. I'm glad I finally did. It's not exactly a text book, not exactly a humourous discussion of the Japanese language, but something in between.

Essentially split into two halves, the first is a long and fairly involved discussion of the differences between 'wa' and 'ga', and Rubin's idea of a 'the invisible pronoun' in Japanese grammar. The latter half is a collection of much shorter e...more
Sasha
This book was recommended to me by my favorite professor ever, who taught Japanese translation at university. And it was definitely a great recommendation. This book is useful to me not just as a translator, but more as a Japanese teacher. The issue of Wa and Ga and endless modifiers is always a tough one to explain, and I feel better equipped to deal with the kids' questions.

Mr. Rubin, though. What a character. He makes me think of a dad or an uncle who jokes with the waitresses and laughs too...more
Melissa
I went into it expecting a good read, and I wasn't disappointed. Jay Rubin's love of and enthusiasm for the Japanese language clearly comes across and transfers to the reader by the way he explains things. The book is fairly small and only 120+ entertaining pages, short enough to be a weekend read (in just one session even, and not many grammar books can be enjoyed cover-to-cover like that!). Looking at the table of contents, one might be lead to believe that this is a book for beginners, and in...more
Efe Saydam
A funny, wry and insightful series of essays on the more ephemeral, nuanced yet far -too-common-to-ignore aspects of the Japanese language that cause so much head-scratching and headache among learners of the language. Also goes briefly into how some aspects of the language reflect the cultural traits of the Japanese themselves, such as indirectness and deference, as language and culture are inextricably linked. It is indeed much more difficult to understand concepts of a foreign language if the...more
Ivy
His passion for the language really comes through but it's a little too long-winded for someone like me. I probably wouldn't have dedicated 18 pages to distinguish "wa" from "ga", for example.

I'm an impatient learner who just wants to cut to the chase and figure out what potential pitfalls I need to look out for. But as I flipped through the pages hoping for him to illuminate me on something I've not already identified as a problem area, I was disappointed almost every step of the way. The "aha!...more
Keith
Jan 29, 2009 Keith rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 日本語の学生
Jay Rubin translated Wind-Up Bird, so I already knew he was amazing/brilliant/etc. What I didn't know is that he's also hilarious. Nice surprise, that.

The subtitle of this book is a little misleading. "What the Textbooks Don't Tell You" brings to mind a guide to Japanese slang or curse words or something (at least that's what I thought of), but really it's more about nuance. Little shades of meaning that usually aren't mentioned in textbooks simply because the textbooks are too busy trying to te...more
Fatma
Nov 24, 2008 Fatma rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those already finished beginner Japanese
I bought the book because of the back sleeve promoted how it could help you how to make sense Japanese (especially for those fluent in english). And it did help by first crumbling the concepts I had on Japanese tenses (which I learned using my native language) to learning it through English.
It helps me understanding the predicate-only sentences and off course the particle "ga" which I found really confusing. This helps a lot if you read it along with your Japanese course books.
Nevertheless, I...more
Brian
This was my second time through this gem. Great read -- a rarity among foreign-language instructional texts in that it's actually fun as well as instructive. I found Rubin's advice on understanding Japanese on its own terms invaluable. He discusses only what he's found to be "problem" aspects of the language for English learners, but he treats his topics in novel and illuminative ways. He also provides copious helpful examples, albeit at a vocabulary level somewhat higher than I was comfortable...more
Haengbok92
This book is excellent. Not only did it help me sort out HODO, but it also offers useful insight into the WA/GA differences in usage, how to properly understand TSUMORI, and KARA/NO DESU etc. My only complaint with the book is the dependence on solely Romanji as opposed to a mix of Hiragana and Kanji. The lack of Kanji (with Furigana) especially makes it difficult to parse out some of his examples, as the abundance of homonyms in Japanese makes Kanji an essential element of meaning transmission....more
Yupa
Libello molto utile per chiarirsi diverse cosette sulla lingua giapponese e su come approcciarla.
Apprezzabile soprattutto perché l'autore non ammannisce i soliti luoghi comuni sul giapponese "ambiguo e impenetrabile": è una lingua come le altre, difficile per chi proviene da un ambiente linguistico molto lontano, ma non per questo radicalmente aliena.
Il volume è agile, scritto in maniera molto user friendly (a volte anche un po' troppo...), consigliabile a chi ha già delle nozioni di medio l...more
cuifen
Feb 21, 2011 cuifen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
One of those books I would give a 4.5 star rating to if half stars existed - not only incredibly useful for intermediate Japanese learners, but a really fun read to boot. It loses its (half) star due to the annoying use of Romaji throughout, which made it near impossible for me to parse sentences. However, this book is worth a read just for its explanations of Wa vs Ga, the zero pronoun, and the Johnny Carson Hodo. Other bits I found particularly useful was the mini-essay on Tsumori and Passive/...more
Abby
This little book, by translator Jay Rubin (most well known for his English translations of Murakami Haruki's novels), would have been SO helpful to me when I was in the thick of my Japanese study. I regret I didn't read it earlier! Rubin tackles numerous grammatical frustrations and mysteries of Japanese--particularly the wa/ga particle conundrum and the "backwards" nature of Japanese syntax--with humor and clarity. Highly recommended to any serious student of the Japanese language.
James York
I really liked this book when I was studying Japanese and recommend it to my students now.
Morgan Catha
I wish I had this book fifteen years ago. Highly recommended.
Andrew
A helpful tool that encourages you to use some of the trickier grammar points of Japanese written by (in my opinion the best) one of Haruki Murakami's translators. There are a few good laughs (and several more groaners), but Rubin definitely has an excellent grasp on teaching this kind of stuff. Good for people at an intermediate level. Not recommended for anyone studying Portugese.
Tobias
Brief, humorous, and useful guide to some sticky problems in comprehending written Japanese. Rubin provides some useful notes on what to pay attention to when reading. The one problem with this book is that it uses extensive passages of Japanese text in Romaji> instead of kana and kanji. Not sure why the publisher couldn't be bothered to print the Japanese.
Warnie B.
This is a pretty helpful book with sorting out certain things in Japanese that are difficult for English speakers to wrap their minds around. I haven't learned about several topics covered here yet, so some sections weren't terribly useful to me at this point, but I'll definitely pull this back out again once I get to those things in class.
Diana Welsch
Mar 18, 2009 Diana Welsch rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: intermediate students of Japanese
Recommended to Diana by: the internets
This was an interlibrary loan, so I had to turn it in before I was done, but this was a highly entertaining book. When I get a little farther with the Japanese, I'll probably buy it.

I wish I could take this guy's class. He's so sassy and delightful. It's a rare teacher that makes learning a language a hilarious experience.
Jeremy
A concise examination of some of the conundrums of understanding Japanese from a language learner's perspective. This book begins by debunking the myth that Japanese is the "language of the infinite" and too difficult to learn, then provides strategies for getting through some of the most common difficulties of the language.
Kyle Muntz
This is a really good book, though about half of it was actually above my proficiency level, so I'm going to have to go back to it later on to really get everything. When I saw something like this from one of Murakami's translators I just couldn't resist.
Kent
This book is amazing. I recommend this book to ANYONE interested in Japanese.

I would also recommend it to anyone interested in Language in General. It provides some interesting insight to the English language from the Japanese Language perspective.
Torerling
Aug 28, 2008 Torerling rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people that hate kanji, people that likes grammar
Well, the book started off good and interesting, but as the time passed it seemed to be more and more repetitive.
And one thing, why use romaji in such a intermediate book? That really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Senordustball
Good book for intermediate learners of Japanese. I'm a beginner but I still found it helpful (although some stuff was beyond my level). This book explains a lot of the subtleties of Japanese and explains many common pitfalls.
Nathan Glenn
A must read for ANY serious studier and because it's so entertaining may be a good read for any that are interested in languages in general.
Jake Baker
An entertainingly written and insightful book; an easy read, but I did not feel it added substantially to my understanding of Japanese.
Anne
Sep 24, 2009 Anne is currently reading it
This is a really fun read! Who knew? I am just starting, but think I might even buy my own copy... maybe.
Mélanie D.
Excellent guidebook for japanese learning.
Bjørn
Very helpful for any student of Japanese.
Alexis
Absolutely delightful.
Karen Angell
Karen Angell marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #1)
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • How To Learn Any Language: Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and on Your Own
  • Inventing Japan: 1853-1964
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Japanese Mind: Understanding Contemporary Japanese Culture
  • The Making of Modern Japan
  • Zen and Japanese Culture (Bollingen Series (General))
  • Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation
  • Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide to Themes, Trends & Styles in Website Design
  • Two Histories of England: By Jane Austen and Charles Dickens
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 6
  • The Man with a Shattered World: The History of a Brain Wound
Born 1941.

Jay Rubin is an American academic and translator. He is most notable for being one of the main translators into English of the works of the Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami. He has also written a guide to Japanese, Making Sense of Japanese, and a biographical literary analysis of Murakami.
More about Jay Rubin...
Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words Modern Japanese Writers Alehouse #4 Poetry on Tap Injurious to Public Morals: Writers and the Meiji State Alehouse No. 2 2008