Start by marking “The Cat Who Robbed a Bank” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (The Cat Who... #22)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,123 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
When a visiting estate jeweler is found dead in his Pickax hotel room, Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats must do their best to find the purr-petrator.
Published January 1st 2001 by Jove Books (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Robbed a Bank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

Libbeth
Jan 07, 2009 Libbeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery, 2009
This is the first one in the series I have read and I gather it is very late in the series. I am sure I must have just picked a poor one to start with. There are dozens in the series so they must be very popular and surely must normally have a little more substance to them. I would imagine that if you read them in order you have the chance to warm to the characters and enjoy revisiting.
My goodness, how it droned on about what people were eating and wearing and what the rooms looked like.
***SPOI
Una Tiers
Apr 08, 2014 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier books in the series,with a nice plot and fun character antics.
Lynne Tull
Mar 15, 2015 Lynne Tull rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirsti
Sep 07, 2015 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
The mysterious Delacamp is making an appearance in Moose County, ready to charm the ladies into buying or selling their family heirlooms, and Qwill suspects no one can be as cheesy and get away with it. He arrives with his 'niece', and when he is killed in his sleep, the police and Qwill begin the hunt for the killer(s). It's up to Koko, with his usual clues, to give his understanding of the situation and help bring the perpetrators to justice. This one also sees the restoration of the Hotel, bo ...more
Lisa Kucharski
(Warning of mild spoiler) Not a whole lot of mystery here, which gives the books more drama, this one was more like a soap opera of sorts, just visiting friends and finding out about the characters. This is the downside of this series, the mysteries become a bit weaker as the series gets toward the end. However, at this point I can read them just to visit with the character I like and at times, skim past parts that repeat past info.

(Spoiler) In this one Qwill receives a bundle of letters that hi
Sylvia
Jan 13, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read in the Cat Who... series, because I love my cats and was hoping for another good read. Qwill has a very strong attachment to Koko and Yum-Yum. The Cat Who Robbed a Bank was not a bad book and the overall story was somewhat entertaining, but it just wasn't a great book.
A few parts were confusing, like I could not understand how Qwill could burn the letters from his dead mother without finishing reading them. After all, it was still an ok read for a lazy afternoon
Caroline Shewmaker
It's nice to return the familiar characters of Pickax every now and then. The mystery in this installment was pretty straightforward and played second fiddle to the county's locals, visitors, and numerous events. More interesting is the information Qwill finally gathers about his father. Nothing like a leisurely read for nostalgia's sake.
Mary
Dec 29, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
These are so much fun to read. I haven't read one for a long time and enjoyed checking back in with Qwilleran, his cats and his friends.
Yvonne
Dec 24, 2016 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this series!!
Ruth Hill
Mar 29, 2011 Ruth Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I cannot honestly say I remember how I found this book, but since it was a mystery, and it concerned cats, I thought it might be an interesting read. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I realize this is a series of books, and I came in now knowing any of the characters, but I nearly gave up reading it afer about 50 pages. I think some time after that, I began to get somewhat interested.

I loved the two Siamese cats, and I loved thier owner. They were well-portrayed, and they were what ke
Benjamin Thomas
As usual, I enjoyed getting back with the old gang of quirky characters in the Cat Who series. But that's about it. I certainly don't read these fluffy short novels for the mystery elements as this one once again proves. The crime is straight forward and the perp is identified pretty early on. I kept half expecting that to be a red herring but it was not to be. The rest of the novel is packed full of daily small town life in the northern US and includes numerous vignettes of the townsfolk tellin ...more
John Lee
Aug 15, 2013 John Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the 22nd book of the series but the first for me.
As I started reading, I immediately noticed a difference in style ( and just about everything else) between this and my previous read - An appetite for murder by Lucy Burdett). This book reminded me of the 'village' murders in Three Pines investigated by Insp Gamache in Louis Penny's books which I enjoyed.
I know that its my own fault for reading this in isolation but I didnt know who were the 'stock' characters from the series and who wer
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This 22nd Qwilleran story gives us another nice visit with Qwill and cats and friends, in a wonderful never-neverland that becomes fluffier and less connected with reality with each book. The areas of interest here are favorites of mine, so I was lured happily along, but anyone not a die-hard fan of Qwill, the cats, or Arts’n’Crafts will be disappointed.

Arts’n’Crafts, Scottish Games, a new hotel in the style of Rennie MacIntosh, an odd jewelry salesman and his even odder “niece”, a
Barbara
Jul 18, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is my 1st "the cat who" book. Probably not best to start reading a series with the 22nd book, but that's what I did. I had been contemplating reading this series for quite some time. I wanted to try my first book as an audio edition and this one was the only one my library had. I started listening and immediately was blown away with the narrator. He was wonderful. The book started slowly but still kept my attention. Well do to a confluence of circumstances I could not finish the audio versi ...more
Ed
#22 in The Cat Who ... series.

The Cat Who ... Series - Journalist Qwilleran has evolved into an independently wealthy columnist and generous benefactor for almost every worthy cause in Pickax, Mich. As a leading citizen, he participates in everything from the refurbishing of the Pickax Hotel (renamed the Mackintosh Inn) to the tricounty Scottish Gathering and Highland Games. One of the renovated hotel's first guests is a jewelry buyer and seller from Chicago. Mr. Delacamp appears once every five
Lorraine
It's September in Pickax and the town is excited by the arrival of a jeweler from Down Below who buys and sells estate jewellery. He's staying at The Macintosh Inn, the rebuilt hotel named after Qwill's mother. Qwill and Polly entertain the jeweler and his young female assistant and are shocked to hear the next morning that he's been murdered and the jewellery and his assistant are gone.

Other happenings in this book are the Scottish festival, and the death of the oldest member of Qwill's law fi
Steve Chaput
Dec 15, 2014 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qwillian and his feline companions once again become involved in some nasty business in their small town. While the town is excited about the upcoming Scottish festival and games, a well-known businessman comes to town on one of his regular visits. Selling and buying old jewelry and heirlooms he is also known for the series of young, pretty 'assistants' he brings along. Early one morning when the cats wake Qwill up he has an inkling that something is amiss. The businessman is found murdered and ...more
Sue
Jan 24, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, usa
The newly renovated hotel is reopening under a new name and the town of Pickax is planning festivities for the occasion. A precious jewelry salesman makes a visit every five years and Delacamp's visit coincides with the grand opening. A few days into his visit he is found dead in his room at the inn. Theories abound and, of course, Koko is providing clues if Qwill can only figure out what he's communicating.
I may be burned out on this series for awhile. The only good thing about reading them c
Read1000books
#22 in the series. If you're looking for a shoot-em-up, forensic, locked room whodunit, be advised to look elsewhere; this series isn't for you. Main character Jim Qwilleran (millionaire and cat owner) is certainly no Mike Hammer. However...if you like cozy, light mysteries where you learn to love the various characters (and locales), and want to read the next book just to see what's happening with so-and-so, then you ought to try these, starting with Book 1, The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. Fo ...more
Susan
Jan 02, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series
I read most of the "Cat Who ..." series before I discovered Goodreads, so I don't have good records of what I've read when, and apparently this is the first "Cat Who ..." review I've written. That's too bad, because I think I used to enjoy them more than I did this one.

I can't tell whether they're becoming more formulaic, or whether I've just gotten bored with a formula that was always there. But the contrived little coincidences of what Koko does and how it ties in to the plot of the murder, a
Plantgrrl
Oct 12, 2015 Plantgrrl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly you can't give negative numbers. We're on the long slow death march to the end of this series (I'm required to read them for reasons). I enjoy the way Lillian continues to solve all of Qwill's/the plots problems with fire...also, I don't remember a bank robbery. So...is this title because she already used "The cat who tailed a thief? Was Koko robbing Scotchy, not that I recall, but there was something about Koko filtch pennies. IDK. It's way too tangential a title, as someone else said, it ...more
Trish
Jun 15, 2011 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cat Who series is one that I was devoted too several years back and then after good old Qwill moved to the apple barn and Polly got her silly cats, the series seemed to nose dive. A friend loaned me this one, and while it wasn't bad, it just didn't seem up to those days before Qwill had all that money and now solves all his problems by throwing money at them. Just not the same.

Koko and YumYum are still delightful as are a few of the other characters, and LJB can really make you "see" some of
Beth Ann
Mar 19, 2012 Beth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat fans, clean mystery fans
After reading a rather diassapointing book in the series (The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers... yes, I am not reading them in order. I just pick them up at the public library as they become available) it was SO NICE to come back to that old familiar Qwill, the cats, and Moose County. It wasn't the best in the series, but it was good.

Though for someone who never aspired to wealth, isn't really the rich type, Jim Qwilleran sure doesn't seem to have a problem dropping a CHUNK of change on an antique pigg
Gheeta
Jul 08, 2013 Gheeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reading this edition made me wonder if Ms Braun's editor did his/her job. The story was very choppy and it seemed as if there were complete paragraphs that got repeated in different places in the story. Braun was definitely not on top of her game with this book.

7/7/2013: Still felt a little rushed and choppy...and a bit like a clip show with most of the writing devoted to catching up a new reader with the series than attention being paid to the actual plot. This is one of those books that demons
Meredith
This one is a bit sad when it comes to one of the characters in the murder and mystery. An orphan who was never properly adopted, not terribly bright, but generally a good soul, then gets caught up in something that's way over his head. To the point that it's never clear he realizes how he's been used until it's too late.

But the other relationships between characters are fun to revisit and enjoy.
Eyehavenofilter
The usual participants in some usual and unusual circumstances, but I just can't help myself, I love these books. It's just like snuggling up with a favorite stuffed animal in a nice warm bed. Jim Q and the cats are at it again up in the middle of nowhere U.S.A. And it just saddens me that there probably won't be anymore "Cat Who" books since the author has gone to that great big writers room in the sky.... So sad.
Martha Groeber
Apr 11, 2015 Martha Groeber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qwilleran, Koko and Yum Yum are on the case again when a jeweler is murdered in his bed in the newly remodeled Mackintosh Inn. Koko's new fixations and Qwilleran's sympathetic ear lead him down the trail of the unlikely murderer. When the senior partner in his law firm dies, Qwilleran also becomes the possessor of his mother's letters, leading him to unwanted information about his parents. Qwill's friends, both furry and human, help him to keep the past where it belongs - in the past.
Samantha
Jan 23, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was another good one in the series. Someone died, Koko presented clues, Qwillern was his amazing self and it made me really want a cat even more.
I liked this one especially because it gives more description of his barn house, which I someday want to reproduce, and of Qwillern's past, his mom, dad, Aunt Franny and where he got his name from. I did think he acted a little impulsively angry when he burned the letters though. I didn't like that part.
Joyce
Jun 10, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think this marks almost the last of the "Cat Who" books, have really enjoyed reading them over the years, might have to sit down and read them in order one of these days. The antics of the cats and the development of the characters by Braun has kept me coming back over and over to read just another one. Too bad she isn't here to write more. RIP Lilian Jackson Braun. Your stories will live on as your legacy.
Kelley
Nov 27, 2012 Kelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful little quit read. I know this is a series and I also know it has been around for quite some time, but this is the first one I have read. It's not "deep", not thrilling, mysterious or anything else that would cause me to praise this as an excellent novel, but it is a solid, realistic story. I think the characters are pleasant and likable, the setting is a busy small-town feel and the story is introduced, developed and finished in a solid way in just under 300 pages.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Robbed a Bank #23 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:11PM
STATSLIGE BANKER BLØDE MÅL FOR SVIG 1 5 Aug 04, 2013 09:10PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)