The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who... #22)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,061 ratings  ·  100 reviews
When a visiting estate jeweler is found dead in his Pickax hotel room, Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats must do their best to find the purr-petrator.
Published January 1st 2001 by Jove Books (first published 1999)

Una Tiers
This is one of the earlier books in the series,with a nice plot and fun character antics.
Libbeth
This is the first one in the series I have read and I gather it is very late in the series. I am sure I must have just picked a poor one to start with. There are dozens in the series so they must be very popular and surely must normally have a little more substance to them. I would imagine that if you read them in order you have the chance to warm to the characters and enjoy revisiting.
My goodness, how it droned on about what people were eating and wearing and what the rooms looked like.
***SPOI...more
Lynne Tull
Kirsti
Jan 15, 2012 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
The mysterious Delacamp is making an appearance in Moose County, ready to charm the ladies into buying or selling their family heirlooms, and Qwill suspects no one can be as cheesy and get away with it. He arrives with his 'niece', and when he is killed in his sleep, the police and Qwill begin the hunt for the killer(s). It's up to Koko, with his usual clues, to give his understanding of the situation and help bring the perpetrators to justice. This one also sees the restoration of the Hotel, bo...more
Sylvia
This is the second book I've read in the Cat Who... series, because I love my cats and was hoping for another good read. Qwill has a very strong attachment to Koko and Yum-Yum. The Cat Who Robbed a Bank was not a bad book and the overall story was somewhat entertaining, but it just wasn't a great book.
A few parts were confusing, like I could not understand how Qwill could burn the letters from his dead mother without finishing reading them. After all, it was still an ok read for a lazy afternoon...more
Read1000books
#22 in the series. If you're looking for a shoot-em-up, forensic, locked room whodunit, be advised to look elsewhere; this series isn't for you. Main character Jim Qwilleran (millionaire and cat owner) is certainly no Mike Hammer. However...if you like cozy, light mysteries where you learn to love the various characters (and locales), and want to read the next book just to see what's happening with so-and-so, then you ought to try these, starting with Book 1, The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. Fo...more
John Lee
This is the 22nd book of the series but the first for me.
As I started reading, I immediately noticed a difference in style ( and just about everything else) between this and my previous read - An appetite for murder by Lucy Burdett). This book reminded me of the 'village' murders in Three Pines investigated by Insp Gamache in Louis Penny's books which I enjoyed.
I know that its my own fault for reading this in isolation but I didnt know who were the 'stock' characters from the series and who wer...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This 22nd Qwilleran story gives us another nice visit with Qwill and cats and friends, in a wonderful never-neverland that becomes fluffier and less connected with reality with each book. The areas of interest here are favorites of mine, so I was lured happily along, but anyone not a die-hard fan of Qwill, the cats, or Arts’n’Crafts will be disappointed.

Arts’n’Crafts, Scottish Games, a new hotel in the style of Rennie MacIntosh, an odd jewelry salesman and his even odder “niece”, a...more
Ruth Hill
I cannot honestly say I remember how I found this book, but since it was a mystery, and it concerned cats, I thought it might be an interesting read. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I realize this is a series of books, and I came in now knowing any of the characters, but I nearly gave up reading it afer about 50 pages. I think some time after that, I began to get somewhat interested.

I loved the two Siamese cats, and I loved thier owner. They were well-portrayed, and they were what ke...more
Benjamin Thomas
As usual, I enjoyed getting back with the old gang of quirky characters in the Cat Who series. But that's about it. I certainly don't read these fluffy short novels for the mystery elements as this one once again proves. The crime is straight forward and the perp is identified pretty early on. I kept half expecting that to be a red herring but it was not to be. The rest of the novel is packed full of daily small town life in the northern US and includes numerous vignettes of the townsfolk tellin...more
Lorraine
It's September in Pickax and the town is excited by the arrival of a jeweler from Down Below who buys and sells estate jewellery. He's staying at The Macintosh Inn, the rebuilt hotel named after Qwill's mother. Qwill and Polly entertain the jeweler and his young female assistant and are shocked to hear the next morning that he's been murdered and the jewellery and his assistant are gone.

Other happenings in this book are the Scottish festival, and the death of the oldest member of Qwill's law fi...more
Susan
I read most of the "Cat Who ..." series before I discovered Goodreads, so I don't have good records of what I've read when, and apparently this is the first "Cat Who ..." review I've written. That's too bad, because I think I used to enjoy them more than I did this one.

I can't tell whether they're becoming more formulaic, or whether I've just gotten bored with a formula that was always there. But the contrived little coincidences of what Koko does and how it ties in to the plot of the murder, a...more
Sue
For whatever reason, I got two copies of this when I bought it for my Nook. Because of the number of pages, I thought that this book was unusually long compared to the others in this series. However, when I got to the end, the next page began the book again. I liked the book, like I have all of the books in this series, but not enough to read it back-to-back again.
Beth Ann
Mar 19, 2012 Beth Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: cat fans, clean mystery fans
After reading a rather diassapointing book in the series (The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers... yes, I am not reading them in order. I just pick them up at the public library as they become available) it was SO NICE to come back to that old familiar Qwill, the cats, and Moose County. It wasn't the best in the series, but it was good.

Though for someone who never aspired to wealth, isn't really the rich type, Jim Qwilleran sure doesn't seem to have a problem dropping a CHUNK of change on an antique pigg...more
Trish
The Cat Who series is one that I was devoted too several years back and then after good old Qwill moved to the apple barn and Polly got her silly cats, the series seemed to nose dive. A friend loaned me this one, and while it wasn't bad, it just didn't seem up to those days before Qwill had all that money and now solves all his problems by throwing money at them. Just not the same.

Koko and YumYum are still delightful as are a few of the other characters, and LJB can really make you "see" some of...more
Gheeta
Reading this edition made me wonder if Ms Braun's editor did his/her job. The story was very choppy and it seemed as if there were complete paragraphs that got repeated in different places in the story. Braun was definitely not on top of her game with this book.

7/7/2013: Still felt a little rushed and choppy...and a bit like a clip show with most of the writing devoted to catching up a new reader with the series than attention being paid to the actual plot. This is one of those books that demons...more
Kelley
What a delightful little quit read. I know this is a series and I also know it has been around for quite some time, but this is the first one I have read. It's not "deep", not thrilling, mysterious or anything else that would cause me to praise this as an excellent novel, but it is a solid, realistic story. I think the characters are pleasant and likable, the setting is a busy small-town feel and the story is introduced, developed and finished in a solid way in just under 300 pages.
Lydia
wow, this book was terrible. I just found myself not caring through the whole thing. Nothing fits together. Nothing is believable. Qwillerman, the main character, is not exactly relatable. Through the whole thing, Braun jabbered non-stop about the interior design of Qwillerman's yuppie barn house thing and POUNDS it into your head that he rides a RECUMBANT bicycle.

Also, it was barely about cats, and there were definitely none that robbed a bank. Hmph.
Samantha
It was another good one in the series. Someone died, Koko presented clues, Qwillern was his amazing self and it made me really want a cat even more.
I liked this one especially because it gives more description of his barn house, which I someday want to reproduce, and of Qwillern's past, his mom, dad, Aunt Franny and where he got his name from. I did think he acted a little impulsively angry when he burned the letters though. I didn't like that part.
George
Sep 12, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
September in Pickax and Qwill and his Siamese cats Koko & Yum Yum are in the middle of another series of happenings: the Highland Games and winner who becomes a Moose County hero for winning, the arrival of a popular jewerly buyer salesman who visits every few years, a new Indian Village resident and neighbor to Qwill's romantic interest, and a murder. As usual, Qwill, with Koko's help, helps to unravel the mystery.
Eyehavenofilter
The usual participants in some usual and unusual circumstances, but I just can't help myself, I love these books. It's just like snuggling up with a favorite stuffed animal in a nice warm bed. Jim Q and the cats are at it again up in the middle of nowhere U.S.A. And it just saddens me that there probably won't be anymore "Cat Who" books since the author has gone to that great big writers room in the sky.... So sad.
Lesley
I listened to this for the second time in several years. This is one of my favorites of this series. Though still Brain Candy for the car, it's one of my favorite stories of the series. Between the Scottish Gathering, learning about Qwill's family tree from old letters, and the mechanical banks, it was a pretty interesting listen. The audiobook's actor does a nice job with the reading, too.
Gwen
Seriously? I don't understand how this series got this far. I know i read a book in this series before.

It is excruciatingly slow paced. I didn't read the back blurb until page 90. It said there was the death of a jeweler. That didn't happen until further in. I felt the reader was along for the ride with no purpose other that the cat gives a weird clue and maybe you can figure out why.
Chantal Marlinski
I read this for a genre study in my Public Libraries class. I will never ever read a The Cat Who... book again. It was saturated with characters names who I will never remember - all of whom seemed so important when they were introduced but amounted to nothing. The story line was so dry and bland that I didn't even care who committed the murder by the end. Blech.
Jean
I've read all the "Cat Who" books by Lillian Jackson Braun and wasn't disappointed in any of them. They are quirky, funny and always hold my interest to the last page. I love all the funny names and characters she comes up with. Very easy reads when I don't want to have to think to hard! Koko, Yum Yum and Jim Qwilleran have become very real to me like old friends.
Featherheart
This is good but not good for required reading. You have to enjoy hearing the little anecdotes and character sketches and antics of the cats. The mystery doesn't all unfold at the end like Agatha Christie, it is revealed throughout the book. The surprise at the end was an explanation of Koko's behavior. I will definitely be reading more.
Ruth
This was a cute and quick read. The murderer wasn't exactly hidden and there are no red herrings so it really is a character set piece. It did get me to like the protagonist and his backstory was interesting. There were a few sniggers over some of the comments. Definitely recommended for the normal crew.
Maryann
I've read a hand full of "The Cat Who ..." series and generally enjoy the stories. This is a light read, heavy on character and goings-on in the community and light on the murder mystery. Of the series that I've read, this is probably my least favorite, but still, a quick to read, entertaining book.
Heather
I don't know. I just didn't like the plot of this one. The whole Oedipal thing was just too much. Plus the kid living in the woods? What was that? And actually I waited too long to write this review (I'm already 3 books ahead now) so I can't remember too much else.
Carol
Read this one about 5-6 months ago, and it is an ok read. I've read a pile of these, and this one has not been my favorite. It is ok in some aspects, and weak in others. The character development is a bit different in this one. The solving of the mystery is ok but not great.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Robbed a Bank #23 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:11PM
STATSLIGE BANKER BLØDE MÅL FOR SVIG 1 4 Aug 04, 2013 09:10PM
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy #11)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who..., #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who..., #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)