Start by marking “The Pigs' Picnic (Picture Puffins)” as Want to Read:
The Pigs' Picnic (Picture Puffins)

The Pigs' Picnic (Picture Puffins)

The author of "The Wolf's Chicken Stew" sends the message of being true to oneself in this charming story about Mr. Pig, who finally musters up enough courage to ask Miss Pig for a picnic. Illustrations.
Published September 10th 2001 by Puffin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Pigs' Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pigs' Picnic

Shauna Ruske
Apr 19, 2010 Shauna Ruske rated it it was amazing
This has been our family's favorite picture book for the last decade. It has a sweet message.
Heather
Mar 21, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
The Pigs' Picnic is a cute little book about Mr. Pig, who wants to ask Miss Pig to join him on a picnic, but is worried that she won't like him just the way he is. He ends up borrowing a fox's tail, a lion's hair, and a zebra's stripes, but when he reaches Miss Pig's house she doesn't recognize him. Mr. Pig returns all the borrowed accessories and returns to her home, where Miss Pig is happy and relieved to see him.

This was a cute little story for preschoolers to early elementary-aged children a
Lindsay
I love Keiko Kasza's work! I used the Spanish version of The Pigs' Picnic for a Spanish story time program focusing on pigs. The kids and parents loved this story! I told it using felt pieces that were purchased by the library as a book prop.

In this humorous tale, children will learn about self-esteem and being comfortable in their own skin by Mr. Pig's experience being something he is not. When Mr. Pig's friends find out Mr. Pig is going to invite Miss Pig on a picnic, they all suggest he wear
Kristen
Sep 17, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of what magic sharing a picture book with children can be. When I read it to myself, I thought, "Oh, this is a cute, funny little story about a pig going on a picnic and being silly along the way." When I read it in story time, I had a room full of children who were alternately laughing and enthralled. They LOVED this book--a story for a picnic themed story time. The pig putting on the fox's tail, the lion's mane, and the zebra's stripes was just so completely amusing--it ...more
Joy
Kasza's books tend to have charming stories and gentle illustrations. This is another example of that. Mr. Pig gets some silly advice from his friends as he attempts to impress Miss Pig, when he should just try to be himself.

The art isn't the most impressive thing ever, but in this context, it works.
Jackie
Trying to look his best for his picnic with Miss Pig results in a absurdity of parts and pieces of other animals. In the end, Pig realizes that being yourself is the best you can be.

Used for "Cheep, Oink, and Moo: Chicken, Pork, and Beef" storytime-April, 2010.

Sydney McClure
This is a funny little story about a pig taking his friends' advice, but it doesn't woo Miss Pig. Younger kids will enjoy the goofiness of Mr.Pig. This could be a teaching moral about listening to our friends' advice.
Leah
Mar 23, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
Nice little story about being yourself. Mr. Pig who wants to look his best when asking Miss Pig out on a picnic and take some ill-advised advice from some handsome animals along the way. Bump up the pastel, smaller sized illustrations with a flannel/felt story when sharing in storytime.
Natalie
Sep 30, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This a short but sweet tale in which Mr. Pig learns that the best way to woo someone is the be yourself.

Edna
May 11, 2010 Edna rated it liked it
Mr Pig wants to ask Miss Pig to join him for a picnic but unfortunately he listens to his friends advice about what would really impress a woman.
Carrie
May 17, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
What a great book! Complete with opportunities to wear funny props. :) A funny book about accepting yourself. I also love the book "My Lucky Day" by the same author.
Carol
Nov 10, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
I read this one in French "Le Pique-nique des cochons" and found it packed full of inspiration and comedy. Pretty good for a tiny, tiny book!
Pam
Jun 27, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
L recommended this book from reading it in her kindergarten class, and it was good! Love the illustrations - especially the one of the pig "all decked out" in his borrowed things.
Greta
Greta rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Tnb
Tnb rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Alicia
May 13, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I love the message of this book!
jenna nims
jenna nims rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Anne Reader
Anne Reader rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Kelly Reader
Kelly Reader rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Joan Gagan
Joan Gagan rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
David Donhoff
David Donhoff rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Takami
Takami rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Leonardo Gallego
Leonardo Gallego rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2008