Hell's Kitchen: A Novel of Berlin 1936

Hell's Kitchen: A Novel of Berlin 1936 (John Pellam #3)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  970 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of The Empty Chair and The Devil's Teardrop, is back displaying his "ticking-bomb suspense" (People) in this never-before-published thriller.
Every New York City neighborhood has a story, but what John Pellam uncovers in Hell's Kitchen has a darkness all its own. The Hollywood location scout and former stuntman is in the Big Apple hop...more
Published August 11th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2001)

Libri Mammaeditori
Ben sceneggiato, come e meglio del solito Deaver, perchè sullo sfondo c'è un vero ritratto della New York dei "gangsta". I personaggi sono volti tra la folla, in una carrellata che fotografa i tipi umani di un territorio identificato. Protagonista evanescente, cattivi un po' steroetipati. Ma ciò che fa difetto a questo libro è un po' di chiarezza di idee sulla lezione magistrale, sulla "morale della storia". Un'assenza che si fa notare e che porta l'autore a pasticciare la soluzione finale.
Comun...more
Manugw
A ROLLER COASTER IN FLAMES

the story begins when Ettie Washington, an old black lady is arrested and stands accused of hiring an arsonist to burn down the building where she lives, the neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen in New York City. John Pellam, who was interviewing her during the making of a film about this particular place, finds difficult to believe that she is the culprit and starts to investigate who is behind the fire.
From then on Deaver sets a very complicated and intertwined plot, which...more
Aries
Continua la mia crociata contro gli stravolgimenti dei titoli. Stavolta "Hell's Kitchen - A location scout mystery" è diventato "L'ultimo copione di John Pellam", titolo che hanno probabilmente ritenuto giustificato dal fatto che si tratta dell'ultimo (appunto) romanzo di Deaver con protagonista John Pellam: speriamo non si decida mai a scriverne un altro, altrimenti il titolo potrebbe essere "ops, ci siamo sbagliati, quello era il penultimo e questo l'ultimo".Bene, dopo il mini sfogo possiamo p...more
Tony
Jeffery Deaver- Hell’s Kitchen (Pocket Books 2001) 4 Stars

Hell’s Kitchen is known as a place where no one is safe, but big business is trying to move in and clean things up. John Pellam is trying to make a documentary on Hell’s Kitchen and steps into something dangerous and deadly. As Ettie Washington, the woman he is interviewing for his movie is accused of having burned down her apartment building for the insurance money. Pellam thinks she is innocent, despite being told she is not by everyone...more
Tyson Adams
There is something about a mystery novel that can be either entertaining or dreary. Ultimately you want the mystery and suspense; but not too much. If the mystery is too simple, then *yawn*. If it is too complicated then you start to think it is all too hard or that the author had finished the mystery and realised they had another 200 pages to fill.

This is my first outing with Jeffery Deaver and I can see why he is so highly regarded with his mystery writing. He treads that fine line between too...more
Marianne
Hell’s Kitchen is the third (and so far final) Jeffrey Deaver Location Scout novel. Whilst doing research in Hell’s Kitchen, Pellam is caught in the fire that burns down a tenement building. The prime suspect is Ettie Wilkes Washington, the old black woman he has been interviewing for his oral history of Hell’s Kitchen. Convinced of her innocence, Pellam starts his own investigation. He mixes it with fire marshals, street kids, youth outreach workers, jaded lawyers, Latino and Irish gangs, land...more
Ubi
A good book. Actually, I thought this book would be related to the drama Hell's Kitchen. It does not related to that at all.

John Pellam made a documentary film about the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. Hell's kitchen is actually a small town whereas poor and black people living there. This story actually initiate when there was a fire happens and someone important (he interview her for his films)to Pellam was being blamed for it.

It gets interesting consequently and I would truly say that the ending...more
Dana
While I always enjoy a good Jeffery Deaver novel, it seems that I will always prefer the Lincoln Rhyme series, with the Kathryn Dance series following in close second.

John Pellam is a wonderful character to follow, and the plot in this book particularly kept me stumped until the end in true Deaverian fashion.

Wonderful read, though I might have liked it better if I hadn't been comparing John Pellam to Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance at the back of my mind.

Definitely reading this again in the futu...more
patricia
well, this is a strange book to write a review about. First, I considered it just another "detective" fill-in read because I did not have anything else on hand. But, as I got into the book and it gave me a little insight into Hell's Kitchen I became absorbed with the author's thoughts regarding this subject. It is making me search for more information via novels or biographies on that part of history. Mr. Deaver did a great job depicting life in a part of New York that was not known to me.
Scilla
John Pellam is making a video in Hell's Kitchen, and Sonny is setting fires. Pellam's star, Ettie, is accused of arranging the fire which burned down her tenement. Pellam is trying to find the arsonist to get her out of jail, and Sonny realizes he is getting closer. Pellam gets involved with the gangs, the social worker, the rich developer, and Ettie's lawyer and finds everyone has his own story. And Sonny wants to take out Pellam in his biggest fire of all.
Wendy
Another exciting thriller
Martip
I can recall checking page numbers, thinking, "33 pages in and not so good," "49 pages, should I stop?" Arson, gang war, jaded social workers, real estate tycoons and dirty business deals, overheated law offices just don't take me to my happy place in this book. The ending and twists are worth the read, though...so if you too think, "should I quit?" maybe you will like the ending too.
sara warner
Matteo Pellegrini
Decisamente il migliore dei 3 romanzi dedicati a Pellam.
Di sicuro si nota la crescita di Deaver rispetto ai primi due romanzi, non è ancora ai livelli de Il collezionista d'ossa, ma di sicuro comincia ad acquistare un certo modo di scrivere che lo caratterizzerà poi in futuro
Rhonda
This is the first time I've read this author and I really enjoyed the book. I couldn't predict the end and it made me want more historical information on this area of NYC. I've already picked up another book by Deaver, The Cold Moon (my first Lincoln Rhyme novel!).
Kristy
Overall decent mystery book... there were parts that were a little obvious, but the ending kind of threw me a little. I'm not going to give anything away so you'll just have to read it :)

I would recommend this book to those who like mysteries.
Pepi
Ettie Washington's life and all she's been through seemed like a bad luck but the whole story wont let you put it down. i was won over John Pellam's character. Although, there is so much detail about arson, you would say you ll be expert on it.
Fred
The stereotypes of the characters in this book were cringe worthy. I almost stopped reading it twice. I gave it an extra star because Deaver threw in the usual surprises that he is so good at doing.
Jenny
Love Jeffery Deaver, but this one felt like it must have been one of his early efforts. No where near the level of intensity or quality as his Lincoln/Amelia series.
Karen
This is not a book I would recommend. It started out okay, but then it dragged on to the end. Most of the characters came across either as flat or cliched.
John
Another fun but quick read by Jeffery Deaver. Few paint a better picture of NYC in fiction than Deaver.
Nancy Johnson
I have enjoyed all of this author's books. If I really like an author, I like to start with their first book and read all they have written.
Kathryn
"2001 Hollywood location scout and former stuntman John Pellam is trapped in the deadly schemes of a twisted pyromaniac."
Ron
I guess that I am getting too old for this type of novel. There is only so much one can read about burning bodies.
Becky
This is the only book of Deaver's that I didn't care for.
Michael
Slow to start, but what a last 30 pages.
Heidi
One of my most favorite Deaver novels.
Terri
Another great novel by Jeffery!!
  • Enemy Within
  • The Empress File (Kidd & LuEllen, #2)
  • Ghost Dancer
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • La scomparsa di Patò
  • Tod und Teufel
  • Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Witch Hunt (Jack Harvey, #1)
  • The Dinosaur Hunter
  • Without Mercy
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • Demolition Angel
  • Stormchild
  • King Con
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)

“You see tumbleweeds? You see cowpokes? Indians? This isn’t the streets of Laredo.” 2 likes