Start by marking “Hell's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Hell's Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen (John Pellam #3)

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  1,294 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of The Empty Chair and The Devil's Teardrop, is back displaying his "ticking-bomb suspense" (People) in this never-before-published thriller.
Every New York City neighborhood has a story, but what John Pellam uncovers in Hell's Kitchen has a darkness all its own. The Hollywood location scout and former stuntman is in the Big Apple hop
Published August 11th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hell's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell's Kitchen

Jan 05, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this thriller. The main character, John Pellam, was the exact right combination of tough and sensitive. He was very likable. This story was very suspenseful and had many twists and turns. You didn't know for sure who the bad guys were until the very end. Jeffrey Dever very rarely disappoints, and this is one book that is worth reading
Marti
Nov 24, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a chance on this one, since it didn't have Deaver's usual characters. It was rather glum--having homeless people and a young man who liked to set fires to all sorts of places there. The main character is an author who wants to chronicle the lives of the residents.
Sonja - Intellectual Badass
8.0/10
The plot of the novel is great. However, in my opinion there is too much writing. Deaver gives unnecessary background information, that has no apparent function in the novel. This bothered me quite a bit, because it made the novel a bit boring. It was a bit tedious at some points. Apart from this fact, the novel was very realistic and it contained heartfelt emotions.
“I don’t know. I can find out.” The way Bailey emphasised the last sentence explained a little bit more about how gears got
Chrissy
Jul 20, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deaver's book Hell's Kitchen is a fast paced firey read that burns towards an unexpected finale. While interviewing residents of New York neighborhood Hell's Kitchen, for a documentary, John Pellam strikes a friendship with Ettie Washington. Ettie, a seventy something lifelong resident of the Kitchen shares years of memories from her apartment in an old tenement. When Ettie is arrested for arson after the tenement burns to the ground, Pellam risks his life and career to prove her innocense.
In th
Òphiere editoriale
Ben sceneggiato, come e meglio del solito Deaver, perchè sullo sfondo c'è un vero ritratto della New York dei "gangsta". I personaggi sono volti tra la folla, in una carrellata che fotografa i tipi umani di un territorio identificato. Protagonista evanescente, cattivi un po' steroetipati. Ma ciò che fa difetto a questo libro è un po' di chiarezza di idee sulla lezione magistrale, sulla "morale della storia". Un'assenza che si fa notare e che porta l'autore a pasticciare la soluzione finale.
Comun
Eri
Nov 09, 2015 Eri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was rather disappointed in this novel from Deaver. Every other book I have read previously from him left me on the edge of my seat and reading any chance I got. However this one had a somewhat boring plot with an ending that was also pretty uneventful. I think the flaw here in comparison to Deaver's other works is that the depth to the villains isn't really there. There isn't much thought behind the crime or the character. Very often I almost admire Deaver's villains because they are so clever ...more
Manugw
Jun 15, 2011 Manugw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ROLLER COASTER IN FLAMES

the story begins when Ettie Washington, an old black lady is arrested and stands accused of hiring an arsonist to burn down the building where she lives, the neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen in New York City. John Pellam, who was interviewing her during the making of a film about this particular place, finds difficult to believe that she is the culprit and starts to investigate who is behind the fire.
From then on Deaver sets a very complicated and intertwined plot, which
Aries
Sep 18, 2012 Aries rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Continua la mia crociata contro gli stravolgimenti dei titoli. Stavolta "Hell's Kitchen - A location scout mystery" è diventato "L'ultimo copione di John Pellam", titolo che hanno probabilmente ritenuto giustificato dal fatto che si tratta dell'ultimo (appunto) romanzo di Deaver con protagonista John Pellam: speriamo non si decida mai a scriverne un altro, altrimenti il titolo potrebbe essere "ops, ci siamo sbagliati, quello era il penultimo e questo l'ultimo".Bene, dopo il mini sfogo possiamo p ...more
Tony
Apr 30, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver- Hell’s Kitchen (Pocket Books 2001) 4 Stars

Hell’s Kitchen is known as a place where no one is safe, but big business is trying to move in and clean things up. John Pellam is trying to make a documentary on Hell’s Kitchen and steps into something dangerous and deadly. As Ettie Washington, the woman he is interviewing for his movie is accused of having burned down her apartment building for the insurance money. Pellam thinks she is innocent, despite being told she is not by everyone
Tyson Adams
Apr 05, 2012 Tyson Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about a mystery novel that can be either entertaining or dreary. Ultimately you want the mystery and suspense; but not too much. If the mystery is too simple, then *yawn*. If it is too complicated then you start to think it is all too hard or that the author had finished the mystery and realised they had another 200 pages to fill.

This is my first outing with Jeffery Deaver and I can see why he is so highly regarded with his mystery writing. He treads that fine line between too
Marianne
Mar 18, 2011 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hell’s Kitchen is the third (and so far final) Jeffrey Deaver Location Scout novel. Whilst doing research in Hell’s Kitchen, Pellam is caught in the fire that burns down a tenement building. The prime suspect is Ettie Wilkes Washington, the old black woman he has been interviewing for his oral history of Hell’s Kitchen. Convinced of her innocence, Pellam starts his own investigation. He mixes it with fire marshals, street kids, youth outreach workers, jaded lawyers, Latino and Irish gangs, land ...more
Maria
cant beleive this is by Deaver, whose other books I have loved. maybe this just wasnt my thing but I found it overly violent, boring and difficult to read becaseu it kept descending into 'gangspeak'. If this was the first of his I had read, I wouldnt bother with anymore!
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third and last story in the Pellam series is as predictable as the first and second. Basically the same story line, with a twist ending. Quick read...
Ubi
Feb 01, 2013 Ubi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-action
A good book. Actually, I thought this book would be related to the drama Hell's Kitchen. It does not related to that at all.

John Pellam made a documentary film about the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. Hell's kitchen is actually a small town whereas poor and black people living there. This story actually initiate when there was a fire happens and someone important (he interview her for his films)to Pellam was being blamed for it.

It gets interesting consequently and I would truly say that the ending
Rob
Jun 22, 2015 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining enough for a summer beach read. Thin characters, clunky plot. But a good sense of setting, and some exciting bits.
JJ
Apr 22, 2016 JJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Se poaragonato agli strepitosi libri della serie di Lincoln Rhyme, questo è come la pasta senza sale.
Personalmente l'ho trovato noiosissimo. Senza né capo né coda.
Peccato.
Duncan
Apr 02, 2015 Duncan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I found this a bit of a drudge. Not his best and not engaging
Tim New
Mar 19, 2016 Tim New rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most of Jeffrey Deaver's books - very suspenseful
Dana
While I always enjoy a good Jeffery Deaver novel, it seems that I will always prefer the Lincoln Rhyme series, with the Kathryn Dance series following in close second.

John Pellam is a wonderful character to follow, and the plot in this book particularly kept me stumped until the end in true Deaverian fashion.

Wonderful read, though I might have liked it better if I hadn't been comparing John Pellam to Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance at the back of my mind.

Definitely reading this again in the futu
Paula
Feb 07, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this one!
patricia
well, this is a strange book to write a review about. First, I considered it just another "detective" fill-in read because I did not have anything else on hand. But, as I got into the book and it gave me a little insight into Hell's Kitchen I became absorbed with the author's thoughts regarding this subject. It is making me search for more information via novels or biographies on that part of history. Mr. Deaver did a great job depicting life in a part of New York that was not known to me.
Dtlibra
Just ok, not his best
Lucille Bransfield
This book was really very good. While I was reading it, I was thinking all along I would give it four stars. However, the last hundred pages had such twists and surprises it definitely earned a fifth star. I enjoyed reading about the history of the book as well as getting to know the characters. Really good!
Scilla
Mar 31, 2013 Scilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Pellam is making a video in Hell's Kitchen, and Sonny is setting fires. Pellam's star, Ettie, is accused of arranging the fire which burned down her tenement. Pellam is trying to find the arsonist to get her out of jail, and Sonny realizes he is getting closer. Pellam gets involved with the gangs, the social worker, the rich developer, and Ettie's lawyer and finds everyone has his own story. And Sonny wants to take out Pellam in his biggest fire of all.
Wendy
Jul 14, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting thriller
Martip
Oct 29, 2012 Martip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I can recall checking page numbers, thinking, "33 pages in and not so good," "49 pages, should I stop?" Arson, gang war, jaded social workers, real estate tycoons and dirty business deals, overheated law offices just don't take me to my happy place in this book. The ending and twists are worth the read, though...so if you too think, "should I quit?" maybe you will like the ending too.
sara warner
George
Feb 18, 2015 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
The book never grabbed me and I waded through the listen while driving on a boring interstate. It was, apparently, well researched as it wound up around one of the New York City's famous neighborhoods. The book contains punks and tycoons as well as a fair plot. But, in the end, I'll never get that time back.
Matteo Pellegrini
Decisamente il migliore dei 3 romanzi dedicati a Pellam.
Di sicuro si nota la crescita di Deaver rispetto ai primi due romanzi, non è ancora ai livelli de Il collezionista d'ossa, ma di sicuro comincia ad acquistare un certo modo di scrivere che lo caratterizzerà poi in futuro
  • Death Of A Blue Movie Star (Rune, #2)
There is more than one author by this name in the database.

This author: Pseudonym for Jeffery Deaver.
More about William Jefferies...

John Pellam (3 books)
  • Shallow Graves (John Pellam, #1)
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)

“You see tumbleweeds? You see cowpokes? Indians? This isn’t the streets of Laredo.” 2 likes