Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family, #3)

Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"The Lockhart brothers' quest for an ancient family heirloom has proved fruitless . . . and an unpaid loan has left them indebted to their rival, Payton Douglas. With no recourse, the Lockharts offer Payton their most valuable commodity: their sister Mared's hand in marriage." Raised to despise the Douglas name, Mared outwardly agrees to the marital bargain for the sake of...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Pocket Star Books (first published 2005)

Fani
I really liked this book, while I don't usually enjoy heroes who pursue the heroine for most of the book, swallowing their pride in order to win her affection. And Payton is such a hero; he's been besotted with Mared since they were children. When Mared begs him not to marry her since she will never love him, he wants to humiliate her: he demands that she becomes his housekeeper instead. And Mared is forced to accept, because of the debt her family owes him. But as she lives with him, she gets t...more
Veri
Oh the angst in this book!! I'm torn as to saying it was good or bad so I will list what I liked and what I didn't :
The good:
-The hero Payton is The most besotted hero I have EVER read . He makes Edward Cullen seem lukewarm in his affections for Bella
- the setting was great
-no issues with one main character being a "sassenach" (english ) , both main characters shared The same heritage but were enemy clans ( more on this later)
- hero And heroine have know each other forever.

The bad:
- The her...more
Kimberly Walter
Mared Lockhart is supposedly cursed daughter of the Lockhart family and she wants to be free of it and to travel to places that know nothing of her curse. But unfortunately she can do neither until she looks in the belly of the beast and until the Lockhart pays it loan debt to Payton Douglas. They lost the beastie again and now they can not pay, so Payton demands Mared's hand in marriage, oh but boy is she a stubborn prideful scot woman, she will not whatsoever marry a Douglas. Now that Mared is...more
Etty
Meski masih asing ama gaya tulisannya tapi plotnya boleh juga. Sepanjang baca novel HR, jarang2 ada tokoh heroine dari keluarga terhormat disuruh jadi pembantu gara2 menolak lamaran sang hero yang sakit hati walau rasa cintanya besar banget sejak mereka kecil, hanya gara2 heroinenya angkuh dan takut pada kutukan keluarganya. Akhir cerita agak kurang suka karena Mared menolak mentah2 lamaran Payton untuk kedua kalinya hanya karena dia merasa ingin hidup bebas setelah terlepas dari kutukan selama...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Payton Douglas has loved Mared Lochart ever since they were little and they've grown up right next door to each other. But Douglases and Locharts have a long and trecherous history with their ancestors causing harm to each other and Mared sees their names as a problem. She refuses to marry him so he makes her his housekeeper in order to pay back the debt owed to him by her family. During her employment they get to know each other better and she falls for him too, and gives him her virginity. But...more
Karyn Gerrard
The heroine was petulant and spoiled, and it kind of spoiled the read for me. Payton Douglas should be canonized as a saint for all he had to put up with from the heroine in this book. He also was a delightful hero. A good read, would have enjoyed it more if only the heroine had not grated half as much~
Robin
Payton has always loved Mared, since they were bairns. He makes no no qualms about it and never let's her forget it. Mared is stubborn, can spoiled and some times not an easy character to like. However, together, they create fireworks. Loved it.Loved Payton. Soooo romantic at the end.
Bonnie
This book was quite different in that the hero understood from before the book opened that he loved the heroine and wanted no one but her. A great version of Taming of the Shrew...I really enjoyed the whole book!
ChloeLeeNH
Best of the trilogy. I loved Payton. Never wavering in his complete love of Mared. Sigh... how romantic!
Kyraryker
First, I feel the need to remark on this series book covers; very nice, some might say yummy. Anyway, I think I am really going to like Payton Douglas. Already in the first and second chapters I find myself sighing (in a good way) and smiling at his thoughts. I love how Ms. London shows how Payton and Mared both have crosses to bear (the estate responsibilities for Payton and the curse for Mared) and are very lonely. Payton realizes how much Mared and him are alike, and I can't wait to see Mared...more
Elle
A good premise and some strong emotional moments between the characters, but... (view spoiler)...more
Pamela
This is not as light to read as Julia London's regencies, namely the Scandalous series, save the highlander one. Her highland romances lack something and simultaneously overdo something else. I don't know what because I am not a seasoned reader. This story was drawn out for all it could give in the way of being annoying and beating about the bush. Mared is childish. Payton is patient and overcome with love for her. I think there was inadequate focus on the build up of love. More on sex sex sex....more
Carmen Pacheco
I enjoyed this VERY much. It slowed a bit when Payton got sick, but their relationship grew more profound during the illness, as she was at his side for its duration.

I do think Mared was childish; overly reluctant. Payton always took her rebukes in stride, even though they ate at him. When Payton had reached his "end", I cried and cried.

When I realized I had started book 3, I had already swooned for Payton; no way was I putting it down! ;D
Lori Kurochkina
I actually did not read this book because: After reading book #2 and seeing how stubborn and frustrating the leading lady was.... and then reading other peoples reviews of this book #3, and seeing how others complained that the leading lady in book #3 was a spoiled brat, I decided to not read it. I do not like books where the leading ladies are unlikeable bratty complaining ice queens.
Marisa
Excellent read - what I found unique about this novel was that the hero was so in love with the heroine, so vulnerable to her alone. The heroine was feisty, funny and quite lovable. I got a little bit irritated with the heroine halfway through the book but still an excellent read. Definitely a keeper.
Carla
All I have to say is I wish I had a Highlander in Love! Peyton was every woman's dream. He was charming, handsome, wealthy, titled, and more. He was too easy on Mared in the end and I was just about tired of her. I guess you have to hit some people over the head before they know what they want.
Michelle the Romance Witch
3.75 stars all round. Overall mixed feelings about this story, but in the end there was a happy ending and I enjoyed the read immensely. It was a great ending to an intriguing series.
Diana
Heather
it was repeative with the whole.."she won't marry him because of what he is" and "she wants her independance"..which made it long but overall it was an okay story.
Rachel
This was better than the first 2 in the series, but I share others thoughts on the review that the heroine waited way too long to come aound.
Nikki
Dull couldn't get into it.
Michele bookloverforever
I found this story boring and contrived. usually love highlander romances..but this one just did not appeal at all. I was disappointed.
Mary
Part 3 of a 3 book series. Best of the 3. Loved Payton though sometimes I wanted to swat him for being such a lovesick fool! Good story.
Eastofoz
Cry baby spoiled heroine and hero who acts like a doormat and takes it all. He should've left her from the get go!
Jess
This is the 3rd in a trilogy that is pretty good. Who doesn't love historical romance when Scotsmen are involved??
Ilze
Jun 24, 2010 Ilze rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Couldn't finish it. Heroine is supposedly 27 years old but behaves like a badly spoiled 12 year-old. Yuck!
Dianne Salzwedel
Scot Gal refuses to marry to pay off fathers loan, so she works as the housekeepter
Chy
I think the dude wore a kilt once. Was very sad.
Brenda
One of the funniest books I have read in a while.
Kyoko
Best book of the Lockhart Trilogy series.
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • Devil's Highlander (Clan MacAlpin #1)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2)
  • In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than a two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular Secrets of Hadley Green historical romance series, as well as the new Cabot Sisters historical series, including The Trouble with Honor, The Fall of Grace, and The Perils of Prudence. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, includ...more
More about Julia London...
The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes, #1) The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1) The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3) The Devil's Love The Perils of Pursuing a Prince (Desperate Debutantes, #2)

“When it comes to ye, lass, I doubt even my sanity” 3 likes