The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life was written for those who want to live more enjoyable lives by focusing on simplicity. Do you have clutter that you can't seem to get rid of? Do you have a tough time getting and staying organized? Then this is book is for you. Here's what you'll learn: * How to clear clutter and reduce your possessions. * How to figure out what's nece...more
Published October 26th 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

Cara
Leo Babauta is one of my favorite minimalists. He's so practical and unassuming.

This book gets the basics of his message all down in one place. It covers how to simplify each area of your life, starting with why, and then giving what steps to take. It's very concrete and helpful.

I love the minimalist principles: realizing you have more than enough, eliminating the excess, being content with what you have, and refraining from acquiring more. I wouldn't say I live them enough to be a true minimali...more
Ken
Dec 27, 2012 Ken rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: audible
I listened to the audio recording and felt a mixture of admiration and annoyance for the minimalist lifestyle. I can see how minimalism simplifies your life, making it more efficient, where you don't waste a lot of time. I also love the idea of focusing on one room at a time and accepting the limitations of others in choosing minimalism. But when it comes to books, more is better, disorder is in some respects, creative chaos and decoration rolled into one.
Jennifer Kyrnin
It's clear that Leo really loves the whole idea of minimalism and all that it might mean. I honestly think that while many of the tips and suggestions in this book are great ideas, some of them are a bit over the top. For instance, I completely agree that having as few icons as possible on my computer is a good idea. But seriously, in order to be a minimalist I have to change my background image to one in his color scheme? And speaking of color schemes, I don't agree with the idea that minimalis...more
Krzysztof Szala
Twórczość Leo od dawna śledzę na jego blogu. Po książkę sięgnąłem, myśląc, że znajdę w niej coś więcej. Niestety - książka to dosłownie kopia bloga. No i sam autor bardzo często powtarza się na tych 100 stronach. Coś dla ludzi, którzy o minimalizmie nie wiedzą nic. Pytanie tylko czy lepiej nie zajrzeć do jakiegoś bloga, choćby samego autora ...
April
This book was nothing, flashy, of course. It's a great step-by-step guide to leading a simpler, more efficient life. I recommend it for people who are know that they need to get organized but don't know where to start.
Kevin
This book is a compilation of articles from the blog Zen Habits. No need to buy the book unless you like the feel of paper as I do. Sometimes the books says "as the picture above shows" when there is no picture. Apparently in the original web page there was a picture. The text is pulled verbatim from the web site. Other times it says I'll talk about minimalist finances later but he's already discussed them in an earlier chapter.

The book is a good start to living minimally. I've read his blog an...more
Vojta Svoboda
Some notes:

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours." - Swedish proverb

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein

"Too many people spend money they haven´t earned, to buy things they don´t want, to impress people they d...more
Meredith Stranges
I'm not crazy about the vegetarian/vegan agenda here, and I think the author is rather hardcore in his approach. But I found a lot of inspiring ideas in this little book that I could apply myself. I'd call this recommended reading for anyone who has a general, vague discomfiture with life and feels like time is passing by, yet seems to have it all. Especially profound for early middle aged suburbanites with lots of disposable income. It's perhaps time to simplify and spend more time "doing" and...more
Jodi
Less stuff = Less stress.
David H
Leo sums it up best:
"It’s a way to escape the excesses of the world around us — the excesses of consumerism, material possessions, clutter, having too much to do, too much debt, too many distractions, too much noise. But too little meaning. Minimalism is a way of eschewing the non-essential in order to focus on what’s truly important, what gives our lives meaning, what gives us joy and value."
Karen B. Campbell
Some good tips for leading a simpler life...perhaps too simple for me!
Frank
This'll be old news to anyone who's been following Leo for a couple years, but a good solid intro to the basics of minimalist living beyond decluttering (though thats included as well). These days I honestly prefer Tammy Strobel and Joshua Becker as having a more engaging writing style with more personality, but there's a reason Leo is so damn famous.
Nick
A nice little guide to minimalism

I laughed at the travel advice - "toiletries are available at your destination". I think toiletries are a basic need when travelling.

Very Californian - eg "Okinawans eat until they're 80% full, and they're the healthiest people on Earth", and dietary suggestions including quinoa and agave nectar
May 07, 2013 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This gave me some really good perspectives on minimalism and helped me hone in on my goals a bit more -- especially the parts about work and office. I read his blog, so some of it was repeating, but I also read quite a bit of new info as well. I'm looking forward to utilizing some of the lessons learned here.
Dinar
This book really carries out the philosophy of simplicity. I love this book, but I'd love it more if Leo put more time editing the content because this book contents was meant to be blog posts and ebook, and I cant click the 'link' or 'above picture' on paperback issue. #grin
Nick Weil
Listened to audio book. I'm never going to go "all the way" and embrace everything he suggests. But I think a lot of it makes sense. One really good thing about this book is that it contains concrete examples to follow rather than general advice.
Mallory Hall
I like everything this book had to say. Since I read his blog I don't feel like there was a lot of new information for me here so that is why only three stars. It was a nice quick, reenergizing read for a Sunday though.
Eveline
This was my first minimalist book and a great introduction to the minimalist lifestyle. Yes it's very simple and objective but made me want to read more, not just his other books but to read more about minimalism.
Tomáš Heřman
This book is probably fine for average user, but it was mostly obvious info for me. If you are looking for some advanced tips, look elsewhere.
Tanya Hakala
Nothing really new here, but a few good ideas to jog my brain and get me thinking of ways to simplify.
Luca Conti
I was expecting something more. Some parts (travel and finance) are common sense or even worse
Todd
After reading some really bad books on minimalism, this book was very welcome.
Angela
Some interesting ideas to simplify your life!
Daniel Hlas
Velmi zajímavé, našel jsem se v tom :-)
Manuel Sánchez
I read this in 2011
Craig
Some good tips.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Manhood
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Lifehacker: 88 Tech Tricks to Turbocharge Your Day
  • Turning Pro
  • Power: Why Some People Have it and Others Don't
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You
  • The High Cost of Free Parking
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Intuitive Thinking as a Spiritual Path: A Philosophy of Freedom (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers, mnmlist.com, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to...more
More about Leo Babauta...
The Power Of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential Zen to Done Focus: A Simplicity Manifesto in the Age of Distraction The Little Book of Contentment: A Guide to Becoming Happy with Life and Who You Are, While Getting Things Done Zen Habits - Handbook for Life