Start by marking “The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life” as Want to Read:
The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  453 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life was written for those who want to live more enjoyable lives by focusing on simplicity. Do you have clutter that you can't seem to get rid of? Do you have a tough time getting and staying organized? Then this is book is for you. Here's what you'll learn: * How to clear clutter and reduce your possessions. * How to figure out what's nece ...more
Published October 26th 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondōYou Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap) by Tammy StrobelWalden by Henry David ThoreauThe Power Of Less by Leo BabautaThe Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay
Simple Living & Minimalism
13th out of 52 books — 33 voters
Miss Minimalist by Francine JayLa magia del orden by Marie KondōThe Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine JayInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerA Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine
Minimalismo y vida sencilla
10th out of 11 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Ebru
Mar 22, 2016 Ebru rated it it was amazing
* Eylül ayında karşılaştım bu kavramla. 'Minimalizm' Hayatı daha sade yaşamak. O gün başladım düşünmeye, bu kadar eşya içinde nasıl boğulmadan yaşayabiliyorum. Eşyaları geçtim zihnimde dönen bunca düşünceler, yanlış arkadaşlıklar, zamanı kötü kullanmam.

* Bana kattığı en büyük fayda zaman konusunda oldu meğer ne kadar boşa gidiyormuş 24 saatim. Bu durumda özellikle sosyal medya hesaplarıma yansıdı gerçekten düşünüyorum nerede olduğumu paylaşmam, insanların neler yaptığını farklı farklı sosyal me
Lauren (Lauren Reads YA)
Not the best guide on how to become a minimalist... Badly edited and outdated (in references and links). I haven't been reading Leo's blog for long, but even just in this guide, there was a lot of repetition.

Why do all these minimalist 'writers' not know how to 1) write, 2) use punctuation, 3) proofread, and 4) EDIT THEIR WORK?!!

I think the only chapter I thought added some new information to my knowledge of minimalism was the chapter on dealing with non-minimalist loved ones. Another cool thing
Cara
Leo Babauta is one of my favorite minimalists. He's so practical and unassuming.

This book gets the basics of his message all down in one place. It covers how to simplify each area of your life, starting with why, and then giving what steps to take. It's very concrete and helpful.

I love the minimalist principles: realizing you have more than enough, eliminating the excess, being content with what you have, and refraining from acquiring more. I wouldn't say I live them enough to be a true minimali
Sol
Oct 20, 2015 Sol rated it it was amazing
Claro, excelente libro para comenzar en esta filosofía de vida.
Majeeda
Jan 09, 2015 Majeeda rated it really liked it
It was interesting to see how one person simplifies his life, in particular this is not a single man or woman - he has a family. In fact he has a large family!

I think this is great because there are many books written by singles or couples without kids and, while there is nothing whatsoever wrong with their point of view, I have kids and I appreciated reading a book by someone who does have that extra facet to their lives. Not that the book concentrated too much on that, but it does have a sect
Ken
Jun 30, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, 2009
I listened to the audio recording and felt a mixture of admiration and annoyance for the minimalist lifestyle. I can see how minimalism simplifies your life, making it more efficient, where you don't waste a lot of time. I also love the idea of focusing on one room at a time and accepting the limitations of others in choosing minimalism. But when it comes to books, more is better, disorder is in some respects, creative chaos and decoration rolled into one.
Andrew
Dec 28, 2015 Andrew rated it it was ok
Badly edited and references are perishable.

The author pushes veganism and misconstrued the complexity of bodyweight exercises. Yes, there is less physical clutter in omitting equipment, however, the tevhnival skills and tension produce more mental clutter.

Guide is fairly straightforward and based on commonsense. Could serve as a refresher, but fails to address why people are possessed by consumerism which is often underpinned by anxiety or insecurity which are fair more complicated issues than
EunSung
May 10, 2015 EunSung rated it really liked it
I found it very accessible and helpful. It was my first minimalist book, and I found his chapter on minimalism and parenting super helpful. I highly recommend this book anyone interested in decluttering and simplifying their life. Compared to my wife, I am a bit of a hoarder, but slowly I am letting go and getting down to the essentials.

I was also intrigued by the author uncopy writing his book. I found it very appealing that the author tries to live by the principles he espouses, but with flexi
Rachel
Jan 30, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok
The author sounds neurotic ("No icons on your desk top, not even the hard drive!" "Bring two pairs of underwear, socks, and shorts on a two week vacation and wash them every night in the hotel sink"). A section on veganism, justifying it as a minimalist lifestyle choice that we should all consider. Getting rid of stuff is excellent, but his example comes across as extreme, obsessive, and seems quite unpleasant.
Two stars for a few reasonable tips that would nearly all be gleanable from watching a
Jennifer Kyrnin
Apr 15, 2011 Jennifer Kyrnin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
It's clear that Leo really loves the whole idea of minimalism and all that it might mean. I honestly think that while many of the tips and suggestions in this book are great ideas, some of them are a bit over the top. For instance, I completely agree that having as few icons as possible on my computer is a good idea. But seriously, in order to be a minimalist I have to change my background image to one in his color scheme? And speaking of color schemes, I don't agree with the idea that minimalis ...more
Krzysztof Szala
Twórczość Leo od dawna śledzę na jego blogu. Po książkę sięgnąłem, myśląc, że znajdę w niej coś więcej. Niestety - książka to dosłownie kopia bloga. No i sam autor bardzo często powtarza się na tych 100 stronach. Coś dla ludzi, którzy o minimalizmie nie wiedzą nic. Pytanie tylko czy lepiej nie zajrzeć do jakiegoś bloga, choćby samego autora ...
Inez
Jan 14, 2015 Inez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: styl
W końcu udało mi się zrozumieć, że minimalizm nie jest dla mnie.
Tzn. filozofia uproszczenia życia brzmi całkiem sensownie - i jest całkiem dobrze opisana w tej książce... ale jakoś wcale nie pasuje to do mojego życia i problemów. Chociaż pewne porady będą bardzo pomocne w sprzątaniu, nawet jeśli nie odmienią przy tym mojego życia:)
April
Jun 30, 2014 April rated it liked it
This book was nothing, flashy, of course. It's a great step-by-step guide to leading a simpler, more efficient life. I recommend it for people who are know that they need to get organized but don't know where to start.
Jen
Sep 10, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has inspired me to look again at how I view my life, my home, my time, etc. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in simplifying their life.
Kevin
Dec 27, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
This book is a compilation of articles from the blog Zen Habits. No need to buy the book unless you like the feel of paper as I do. Sometimes the books says "as the picture above shows" when there is no picture. Apparently in the original web page there was a picture. The text is pulled verbatim from the web site. Other times it says I'll talk about minimalist finances later but he's already discussed them in an earlier chapter.

The book is a good start to living minimally. I've read his blog an
Les Reynolds
May 20, 2015 Les Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great content, nice and simple. Worth a regular re-read.
Vojta Svoboda
May 02, 2011 Vojta Svoboda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some notes:

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours." - Swedish proverb

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein

"Too many people spend money they havent earned, to buy things they dont want, to impress people they don
Meredith Stranges
Nov 26, 2013 Meredith Stranges rated it liked it
I'm not crazy about the vegetarian/vegan agenda here, and I think the author is rather hardcore in his approach. But I found a lot of inspiring ideas in this little book that I could apply myself. I'd call this recommended reading for anyone who has a general, vague discomfiture with life and feels like time is passing by, yet seems to have it all. Especially profound for early middle aged suburbanites with lots of disposable income. It's perhaps time to simplify and spend more time "doing" and ...more
Jodi
Aug 07, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
Less stuff = Less stress.
David H
Mar 07, 2012 David H rated it really liked it
Leo sums it up best:
"It’s a way to escape the excesses of the world around us — the excesses of consumerism, material possessions, clutter, having too much to do, too much debt, too many distractions, too much noise. But too little meaning. Minimalism is a way of eschewing the non-essential in order to focus on what’s truly important, what gives our lives meaning, what gives us joy and value."
Karen B. Campbell
Jan 23, 2014 Karen B. Campbell rated it liked it
Some good tips for leading a simpler life...perhaps too simple for me!
Oleg
Jul 17, 2015 Oleg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to simplification

In his usual pragmatic style Leo talks about things which make our life complex - cluttered houses, overscheduled calendars, overstuffed closets - and provides good advice to get started on the road of simplifying your life. Good primer for newbies or a refresher for those already on the simplification path.
Frank
Oct 01, 2012 Frank rated it liked it
This'll be old news to anyone who's been following Leo for a couple years, but a good solid intro to the basics of minimalist living beyond decluttering (though thats included as well). These days I honestly prefer Tammy Strobel and Joshua Becker as having a more engaging writing style with more personality, but there's a reason Leo is so damn famous.
Nick
Jun 30, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
A nice little guide to minimalism

I laughed at the travel advice - "toiletries are available at your destination". I think toiletries are a basic need when travelling.

Very Californian - eg "Okinawans eat until they're 80% full, and they're the healthiest people on Earth", and dietary suggestions including quinoa and agave nectar
May 07, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This gave me some really good perspectives on minimalism and helped me hone in on my goals a bit more -- especially the parts about work and office. I read his blog, so some of it was repeating, but I also read quite a bit of new info as well. I'm looking forward to utilizing some of the lessons learned here.
Sebas JP
Feb 17, 2016 Sebas JP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thus is a 4.5 rating. I liked it: simple, to the point. Raises lots of questions as to why we don't do more with less. Lots of practical advice that is useful. Not a 5 star as I thought it was a bit too much preaching but high rating nevertheless for its impact and usefulness.
Dinar
Aug 14, 2013 Dinar rated it really liked it
This book really carries out the philosophy of simplicity. I love this book, but I'd love it more if Leo put more time editing the content because this book contents was meant to be blog posts and ebook, and I cant click the 'link' or 'above picture' on paperback issue. #grin
Danielius Goriunovas
Jan 23, 2015 Danielius Goriunovas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ir trečią kartą skaitant šią knygą ji nuo 4 žvaigždučių pakilo į 5.

Nuostabi, trumpa, smagi skaityti ir lengva pritaikyti knyga apie minimalizmą (aš Lietuviškai linkčiau vadinti Paprastumu). Rekomenduoju.

(P.S. Debesyla taipogi rekomenduoja!)
Nick Weil
Jul 28, 2014 Nick Weil rated it really liked it
Listened to audio book. I'm never going to go "all the way" and embrace everything he suggests. But I think a lot of it makes sense. One really good thing about this book is that it contains concrete examples to follow rather than general advice.
Mallory Hall
Feb 07, 2012 Mallory Hall rated it liked it
I like everything this book had to say. Since I read his blog I don't feel like there was a lot of new information for me here so that is why only three stars. It was a nice quick, reenergizing read for a Sunday though.
  • The Great Ideas of Psychology (Great Courses, #660)
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • A Day in the Life of a Minimalist
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Classical Mythology
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More
  • أسوار الصمت: قراءة في حقوق الفرد المدنية في السعودية
  • The Improvement of the Mind: A Supplement to Logic: With a Discourse on the Education of Children and Youth
  • Ten Acres Enough: The Classic 1864 Guide to Independent Farming
  • The Tightwad Gazette III: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle
  • A Brief Guide to World Domination
  • Off On Our Own: Living Off-Grid in Comfortable Independence: One Couple's "Learn as We Go" Journey to Self-Reliance
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers, mnmlist.com, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to
More about Leo Babauta...

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less." - Socrates” 1 likes