Start by marking “The 5 Big Lies About American Business: Combating Smears Against the Free-Market Economy” as Want to Read:

WHY FEEL EMBARRASSED BY BUSINESS?

Every American benefits every day from the phenomenal productivity of the free market, so why do so many people feel guilty or skeptical about our business system? In this passionately argued, eye-opening book, talk-radio star and bestselling author Michael Medved provides detailed and devastating rebuttals to the most widely circulated sm
Published December 1st 2009 by Crown Forum (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 5 Big Lies About American Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 Big Lies About American Business

Michelle
This had promising features but was overall an uneven effort. The book as a whole was a little incoherent. It seemed to me there were many places to discuss the ethics of free economic choice, but Medved oddly leaves it until the "government is more fair and reliable than business" myth chapter. The worst problems were with his chapter on "big business is bad, small business is good" myth chapter. He didn't really seem to know what he wanted to say. Instead he sort of ended up giving a paean to ...more
Martyn Lovell
This is a book about a topic I care about, and I agree with many of the fundamental points made. Despite that, it is very hard to recommend.

The author is in talk radio, and the book reads a lot more like a listening to bad talk radio than anything else. There is less argument and information here, and more anecdote and invective.

The book also takes the easy way out of blaming the media for things when the media itself operates in a relatively free market and responds to the same demand signals
Steven Percifield
Jan 29, 2014 Steven Percifield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow, reading a book with which you are in perfect agreement is not stimulating but, rather, rewarding. It's rewarding in the sense that it at least reconfirms your beliefs to yourself.

That was my experience with this book. A comparable book from the other side of the economic divide by Garbraith was more entertaining for me because it challenged me by presenting economic positions with which I disagreed in such a manner that I had to formulate arguments to it even as I read.

I only wish thos
Mat Anderson
Jan 12, 2014 Mat Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medved sometimes puts up intentional exaggerations in this book. It has some sections that could be cut out in large detail. All the same, it's a good read for anyone with an interest in economics (even in passing, like myself).
jp
Aug 06, 2010 jp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any adult
It will change the way you veiw big business. Michael Medved uses straight forward facts to unravel some common misconceptions about big business. If you like his radio show you will love this book.
David
Oct 17, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, however I wish the author would have addressed some of the distortions of free markets such as "Crony-Capitalism".
April
Apr 21, 2010 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
I continue to be confused by Medved's inability to transfer his genius to his writing. He's infinitely more gifted on radio. There were a few good points in the book.
James
Amir
Amir rated it liked it
May 28, 2017
Cade
Cade rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2010
Paul J Croeber
Paul J Croeber rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 06, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
El Mariachi
El Mariachi rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Hunter Cannon
Hunter Cannon rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2012
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Erik Fosshage
Erik Fosshage rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Rob Altemare
Rob Altemare rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Dano
Dano rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Garymobley41
Garymobley41 rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Steven Roberts
Steven Roberts rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Brian Griswold
Brian Griswold rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Dave Brandt
Dave Brandt rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Dan Freeman
Dan Freeman rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2010
Aaron Kimpton
Aaron Kimpton rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
MICHAEL MEDVED’s daily three-hour radio program, The Michael Medved Show, reaches five million listeners on more than three hundred stations coast to coast. He is the author of twelve other books, including the bestsellers The 10 Big Lies About America, Hollywood vs. America, Hospital, and What Really Happened to the Class of ’65? He is a member of USA Today’s board of contributors, is a former ch ...more
More about Michael Medved...