Start by marking “The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald Mystery, #1)

The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald #1)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

Professor P.T. Avondale is found murdered at his desk at the Avondale Puzzle Museum. Katie McDonald, master puzzle-solver, has returned home to save her childhood mentor's museum from being auctioned off when she learns of the Professor's death. Now she finds herself curator of the museum and in charge of the Professor's newest mentee, a fourteen-year-old runaway. Katie is

Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sudoku Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sudoku Murder

Cat.
Jun 22, 2013 Cat. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
OK, I admit: I picked this up when I cataloged it, strictly because of the connection with Sudoku.

It's a relatively formulaic intro to a potential mystery series: hapless heroine thrown into unusual danger, fortitude in the face of danger, a hint of attraction to someone who she would prefer not to be attracted to.... Yep. There'll be sequel.

And by the way, with the exception of the Killer Sudokus that I've started doing this year, there is absolutely no math skill needed for solving sudoku. It'
Cindy
Oct 14, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't been putting many books on Goodreads lately; despite my new year's resolution to keep track of my reading this way I must confess I haven't seen much benefit in it. But this time I'm going to, and it's because when I pull a random book off of the shelf it is ALWAYS with trepidation. The last time I did it I ended up feeling dirty as I finished the book--filled with drunkenness and sex--and I am embarrassed to even admit that I finished it just to see what happened. Well this time was a ...more
Breanna
Oct 24, 2015 Breanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-1-3-stars
Evelyn
Nov 29, 2007 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patty
Shelves: mystery
Curator of the Avondale Puzzle Museum, Professor P.T. Avondale is found murdered at his desk. Katie McDonald, who has returned home to help save her childhood mentor’s museum from being auctioned off, becomes the number one suspect. Meanwhile, she finds herself interim curator of the museum and in charge of Harry, a fourteen-year-old runaway and the professor's latest protege. Katie is now faced with working with the town's new police chief to solve the puzzle of the Professor’s murder and prove ...more
Kindell
Found this while browsing the library and decided to give it a try. I liked the premise and the characters were endearing but overall it was just an easy read.
Scilla
Feb 11, 2009 Scilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Claire M
Better than I thought it would be, but the ending was slightly disappointing. A good easy read though
Susan
Mar 22, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mathematician and puzzle master Katie McDonald takes some time off from her job at the Institute of Theoretical Mathematics to return to her hometown and help her mentor try to save the Avondale Puzzle Museum. When Katie finds the him dead at his desk, she becomes the de facto curator of the museum and the brash new police chief's chief suspect. Unfortunately, the author is not nearly as clever as her character and the use of an unfinished Sudoku as a clue falls short.
Suzanne
Nov 10, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Emily
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
So puzzley! Not only does the murder take place in a puzzle museum, the clues are in puzzles, and the plot climax occurs in a maze - wow. I very much liked the main character Kate McDonald, as well as the supporting cast - Harry, Chief Brandon, and the Granny Activist Brigade. I'll be checking out the next book in this series shortly and hoping that Ms. Freydont is working on number three right now.
Shelley
I enjoyed all of the math and Sudoku references in this book. I picked this book based entirely on it's title, because I love Sudoku. It was lacking a little excitement at times, and I found quite a few typos (here instead of hear, misspelled words), but I really enjoyed watching the relationship between Kate and Brandon evolve. I also loved reading about all of the puzzles.
Brittney
Jun 09, 2008 Brittney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually one of the first murder mysteries I have ever read. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't gruesome, and I thought the plot went along well. The author does go on some tangents, but I don't think it was overly descriptive. It is a surprise (for me anyway) till the end, because the details are selective.
Alyson Cline
Nov 02, 2008 Alyson Cline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent murder mystery - with a twist! There are a number of sudoku puzzles included in the book, you don't have to complete the puzzles to enjoy the book - but if you like to try them - they are a fun addition. This is the first in the series, I am looking forward to book 2
Julie
Sep 16, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that I found this "new to me" author at the library. The cover and title grabbed my attention. The story did that from the very first page. The characters were well developed and certainly made me look forward to see what is happening in future books in this series.
Kaie
Dec 09, 2014 Kaie marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Sharmila
Jan 03, 2008 Sharmila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is very entertaining for those who love mysteries and puzzles, and I love both. However, the very end didn't really live up to the rest of the book! Perhaps that is because it is going to become a series so it was left a bit open.
Sharon
Mar 07, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too graphic, enough suspense and twists to keep me interested. Loved the setting of a puzzle museum and the intriguing "solution". Just enough hints of romance without what so often seems the gratuitous sex scenes. Enjoyed.
Deborah Coates
Not a particularly complex or dense mystery, but fun. The puzzle museum itself was a nice touch. And though some of the characters were grating and stereotypical, some of them (and fortunately some of the main ones) were, well, not.
Ashley (mac&chip)
I enjoyed this book, but I didn't find it to be anything wow-worthy. I picked the book up because of the title – I am a fellow sudoku lover. It was a nice, quick read – but only other mysteries, this one doesn't go too deep.
Jami
Jun 15, 2013 Jami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I love Sudoku puzzles, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to having a good mystery tied in with the puzzle theme, there were some fun characters!
Amy
Oct 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good story, though with some loose ends left. I don't generally go for mysteries, but I like a good puzzle story, so I gave it a shot. Other than Freydont's editor clearly needing to be fired, it wasn't bad.
Marcy
Jan 10, 2009 Marcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book! It only took me a couple of days. I really couldn't put it down. If I did, it was because my teacher told me too. (I have this bad habit of reading in class....)
Jen
Feb 12, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was a little limpid because it immediately followed my reading of Freedom, but the story was fun and so was the setting. I will be looking for the next book in the series.
Linda
Aug 01, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
A really good start to the series. I thought the story moved along nicely and there were plenty of twists and turns to keep things interesting. I look forward to reading more.
Becky
Jun 29, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was your usual murder mystery with a puzzle slant. It doesn't pick up until the last 100 pages. It's flows well and is enjoyable reading; but nothing special.
Jason
May 14, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could a more perfect mystery have been written for me?! Murder, small town characters, and puzzles! What more could a boy want? Thank you Shelley Freydont!
Dru
Oct 28, 2007 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
A fun read, although it wasn't so much about figuring out puzzles like Sudoku, but the whole vibe of the novel was very puzzling :) in a good way, of course!
Carol Ann
Easy murder mystery which takes place in a puzzle museum. A little sloppy in the writing, and a few loose ends, but still enjoyed it.
Kelly
Oct 13, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
I enjoyed the puzzle aspect, but what I like most are the characters. Quirky and fairly well developed. A fun, light read
Brooke
Aug 19, 2007 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: light mystery fans
I was disappointed that it didn't involve more puzzle solving. It reminded me more of a Murder She Wrote episode.
Jaci
Jan 26, 2009 Jaci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting more Sudoku and less reference to math geeks. It was quick and entertaining.
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • The Dog Park Club: A Mystery
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • For Better, For Murder
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
aka Gemma Bruce

Shelley Freyont is the author of the Lindy Haggerty Sudoku mysteries. She attended the University of Utah majoring in philosophy and dance. Shelley Freydont has also toured as a professonal dance with Twyla Tharp Dance and Americal Ballroom theater. She has appeared and choreographed in television, film, and Brodway.

Series:
* Lindy Haggerty Mystery
* Kate McDonald Mystery
More about Shelley Freydont...

Katie McDonald (3 books)
  • Sudden Death Sudoku (Katie McDonald, #2)
  • Serial Killer Sudoku (Katie McDonald, #3)