Start by marking “Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)

Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  3,693 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
June Hudson is the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks--and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley.

Expecting the unexpected is a way of life in Gra
Published March 1st 2010 by Mira Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Down by the River, please sign up.

♥Rachel♥
Nov 11, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
Sad to say goodbye, and I wished to know a little more about some of the secondary characters, but I loved this trilogy!
Brenda (b)
A wonderful ending to the Grace Valley Trilogy. I loved this book - and the whole series. I can't seem to gush too much about these books, can I? Jim finally becomes a permanent resident of Grace Valley. Many old friends put in appearances, we learn more about everyone and a new face or two arrive too. The last 30 or so pages had me in tears as the town comes together and offers each other so much optimism and support. I would love to be a part of a community like this one. I was sad to see the ...more
jenjn79
Oct 31, 2008 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Another solid story from Carr. This book is very similar to the other Grace Valley books, and if you liked them, then you'll most likely like this one.

Series Note:
Third and final book in the Grace Valley trilogy...which should really be read in order. This trilogy is loosely connected to the Virgin River series.

Summary:
For local town doctor June Hudson, things in her life are coming together with the return of her secret lover, now retired undercover agent Jim Post. After learning June was expec
Marleen
Dec 19, 2016 Marleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marleen by: Jo
Shelves: robyn-carr
A beautiful conclusion to the Grace Valley trilogy, although I wish there had been more books and more in-depth resolutions for a few of the secondary characters.
At the end of book 2, “Just over the Mountain”, we learned that June is happily pregnant and that Jim has retired from his undercover DEA job to come and live with June in Grace Valley. Not surprisingly, June’s under pressure from her environment to set a wedding date, but she wants to take her time to get to know Jim better. Of course,
Michele bookloverforever
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did Ms.Carr's Virgin River series. The characters are well drawn. and sympathetic. As usual she assembles quite a cast of characters and several interesting plot points but it feels like this was her apprenticeship and she was still polishing her skills. It was ok but not great. Enjoyable, but not as satisfying as her Virgin River stories..
Cyndi
Apr 11, 2017 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this series a very strong 4 star rating. Robyn Carr has excellent skills portraying a strong community full of love, concern and deep friendships. It is always a pleasure to visit her towns and characters.
Jonmontanavega
I wish there was a genre named "living life" or "relationships" rather than "romance" where Down by the River will be put. Ms. Carr puts so much grit, so many hurdles of life in her books that I can proudly recommend her guys, to gals and most happily to readers of "quality" literature.

Just to whet your imagination, a couple of the secondary protagonists cope with the situation of the woman / mother being the breadwinner.

Down By The River has a couple nice plot twists but it isn't suspense or e
Dee
I loved this trilogy and am sad that it has come to an end. As usual Ms Carr wrote a fantastic story which was extremely well narrated by Therese Plummer who manages to bring every character to life.
Mom
Aug 19, 2010 Mom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-during-2010
It was okay, but I was just glad it was finished. I wanted to know what happened, but, was not excited about getting through it.

June Hudson is the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks -- and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley.

Expecting the unexpected is a way of life
Sue
Jul 01, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic ending Jim and June's book really and all I can say is it was worth the wait. Got teary eyed several times that should be telling. Truly a village made this trilogy work.
Kresti Lyddon
Oct 28, 2016 Kresti Lyddon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, lovely story

Robyn Carr has written another heartwarming story, full of interesting characters. Most are very likable, some scoundrels, but the town of Grace Valley is a place that everyone wants to be.
Sheridan
Oddly, I didn't feel that the individual books all deserved the rating, but I feel the trilogy was 3.5. While small town life is remarkably romanticized in these books, they are still a fun read.
Joan A. Syglowski

Fantastic!!! I read all three one after the other. While easy to read, the character development was great. I fell in love with them and the town in the trilogy!
Feb 07, 2017 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice

Very peaceful and warm. I have truly come to love all of Robyn Carr's books. Can't wait to start a new series.
Cruth
Three heavily linked books revolving around Dr June Hudson and her family and town. June develops a relationship over the course of the three books, HFNs until HEA on book 3. Would help to read the books in order.

In general, they make a good, enjoyable story. Nice characters. Nice stories. Downside is Carr’s sometimes basic writing style and lean towards tell rather than show, But overall a good read.

(view spoiler)
Chris Kottner-Kirschner
Kaum ist die Katze aus dem Sack, da muss sich die Landärztin June Hudson auch schon mit den neugierigen und besorgten Bewohner von Grace Valley auseinandersetzen. Dabei meinen es ihre Familie, Freunde und Patienten doch alle nur gut. June ist schwanger, soll sich schonen und gefälligst den Vater ihres Kindes heiraten. Dabei nimmt man natürlich auch noch den früheren Ermittler Jim Post genauer unter die Lupe. Zwar denken Jim und June sich eine ‘Geschichte’ aus, doch sein Geheimnis wird von den sc ...more
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 09, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Down By the River is the third book in Robyn Carr’s Grace Valley trilogy and is primarily a continuation of the events featuring the characters in books one and two.

June’s lover, Jim Post, has retired from his DEA job and returns to Grace Valley to live with June and their forthcoming child and learns that pregnant women are subject to mood swings.

June, used to working all hours, doing everything, learns she must delegate, and she finds this hard to do.

Aunt Myrna has been corresponding with anot
Angela Holland
Aug 29, 2010 Angela Holland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why I Read This Book: I read this book for two reasons, first I am a Robyn Carr fan and have read this entire series and second I read this with some of the Novel Ladies.

What I liked: I liked reading about the small town and all the residents. I also enjoyed how the people in the book felt real, this could be a town you live in or have traveled thru.

What I didn't Liked: The ending of the book because I felt like I was moving away from my friends and would never see them again. I wanted this boo
Pam
Jul 31, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Down By the River is book 3 in the Grace Valley trilogy by Robin Carr. I didn’t think a third book would keep my attention as well as the first two. I was pleasantly surprised; but the third book is as good as the first.
It is difficult in Grace Valley for anyone to have a secret for long. However, June Hudson has managed to keep her lover, Jim Post, a secret for a while. Now it is going to come out; but how will the town react to June’s being pregnant with no husband? When Jim does return to Gr
PepperP0t
Caring, capable and presumed spinster June Hudson can no longer keep her relationship with retired DEA agent Jim Post secret - her pregnancy is showing and he's more than ready to be a husband and father. Jim finally comes to live with Doctor June and his appearance shocks the town and gives them plenty of fodder for the small town gossip mill.

After the gossip fun, this picture perfect sunshine-y bright town gets an opportunity to pull together and show community spirit tying off loose ends. The
Kiki Belle
Rochelle
Oct 12, 2010 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
aw, I wanted to love this book, and I wanted to love the Grace Valley series. It just wasn't quite there.
Jim is magnificent! He is always there for June, for the town, and he gives and gives and, for the most part, gets little back. And he doesn't complain! And he cooks, and cleans. And there's no way he's real. I like do it all guys, Jack, from Virgin River is amazing, but has a few faults, and is a little more real.
Maybe I'm just too negative, but I don't see how the town would completely look
JoAnne
Aug 09, 2014 JoAnne rated it really liked it
This is the last in the Grace Valley Trilogy. June and Jim are finally together. The town knows. They all want to know how and why. Jim wants to get married but June wants to make very sure that he is the one. Myrna has had a secret love too. She has been writing letters to Edward for 20 years. He is coming on Thanksgiving to see her. the town has a new pastor but he also has a secret. Chris and Nancy are having financial problems - among the many they have - since both of the boys are healing f ...more
Vickie
Down by the River is the last book in the Grace Valley Trilogy by Robyn Carr. Click on the link if you want a quick teaser about the plot.

I really enjoyed this series, and was glad to have gotten the information to read these before the Virgin River series. Carr throws in many social/economic issues in a short amount of time and it can get overwhelming. However, it's a novel so things do tend to work out.

Again, Grace Valley reminds me so much of Danby, VT. Good solid people helping each other, e
Phyllis
Aug 12, 2012 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this third and final book in the Grace Valley Trilogy. It is a continuation into the lives of the previous characters in book 1 and book 2. Therefore the books should be read in order. By the time I got done with this book I felt like I had known the characters for a long time. I was able to picture them all in my head. It was so nice to see how they interacted with each other in a small town. I did not grow up in a small town where you know everyone so I was asking myself in the end if ...more
Sharon Hughson
This gets a 3.5 out of five stars for me. It was much easier to put down than the other two books in the series. Also, it was a mite more predictable.
I still enjoyed it. I like June and the quirky characters of the town who rally around their own when the chips are down.
I found Jim to be too perfect. I mean, seriously. No man is that awesome. I know this because I'm married to a very nearly perfect man, but he has a few flaws (which I won't go into here). It robbed some of my enjoyment that Jim
Lita Bouquard
Jun 27, 2013 Lita Bouquard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
Grace Valley has it all. Drama, romance, mysteries, and vices. I won't tell which characters are involved but this was so enjoyable. I am upset that Robyn Carr started Virgin River and abandoned The Grace Valley crew. I read these after Virgin River so I don't know if Ricky has a story, what happens to Leah, Clarence, Jessie and the others. I will now have to reread the Virgin River books again for mention of the characters I have come to care for. What about Sam? Is he meant to be a good samari ...more
Gwen S.
Jan 05, 2015 Gwen S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Rogers
Sep 29, 2014 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Robyn Carr delivers a fast-paced, real story about real people. The Grace Valley stories are a little bit grittier than the Virgin River stories, or maybe it's that she stopped herself at a trilogy and felt the need to pack the same number of issues into the smaller number of books. It feels a little overwhelming at times, that these people have so much to deal with, but in a small town like that I suppose it can happen that way. Really enjoyed the whole series. Again, a little more f ...more
Joy
Mar 15, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June is remarkably crabby for a woman who has been joined by the love of her life. But pregnancy will do that to you. Jim is helping not only June but other members of the community, a neighborly pebble whose rings spread out into the whole community. They also have a new pastor -- a beloved man with secrets. Eventually everyone is pitching in to help everyone else, and it makes a heartwarming read. Oh, and we finally solve the problem of Aunt Myra's husband, to my pleasure. Sadly, this is the l ...more
  • That Holiday Feeling (Virgin River, #7.5; Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • About That Man (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #1)
  • Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
  • Home Again (Chesapeake Diaries #2)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.

RWA's Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award recipient 2016
More about Robyn Carr...

Grace Valley Trilogy (3 books)
  • Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1)
  • Just Over the Mountain (Grace Valley Trilogy, #2)

“Do you agree with that About saying 'forever' and being sure? I do. Will you tell me when you think you're there? Sure. Good. June? Yes? I'm there. You go ahead and take your time.” 9 likes