Start by marking “Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living” as Want to Read:
Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living

Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living

For Alicia Paulson, embroidery is so much more than simply pulling needle and thread through cloth. It’s a way to let loose the imagination, elevate everyday materials by decorating them with fanciful designs, and perhaps most of all, to enjoy the quiet reflection resulting from embroidery’s unique textures, vibrant colors, and gentle rhythms.

If Alicia’s first book, Stitch
Published August 10th 2010 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Embroidery Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embroidery Companion

Emily
Aug 28, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. Not sure what I was expecting. The photographs are beautiful, but the designs themselves, while lovely, aren't things I can see myself making. The book is in three sections: regular embroidery, counted cross stitch, and crewel embroidery.
Nikki
Jul 22, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2014
I really liked this book! I enjoy Alicia's blog and her vintage inspired aesthetic- I've purchased a couple of her sampler patterns- and this book did not disappoint. I like that not all patterns are wall hangings- there's a skirt, an apron, shelf liners, curtains, a headband, etc. She lists good information about the different kinds of needlework- for example, the blackwork sampler- and the patterns are charming. The one thing I would improve is that you're supposed to copy the pattern pages an ...more
Magen
I've been a long time reader of Alicia Paulson's blog and I love her design aesthetic, so I wanted to love this book. However, as I am a beginner, I think the title led me astray. I would imagine an embroidery companion would focus more on basic skills before patterns. Although she does go into detail about transferring patterns to the fabric, the stitches are only listed in the appendix with a one step illustration for each. I may come back to this book after I've obtained some skills, but it's ...more
Heidi
Sep 05, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This book is written by one of my favorite bloggers. The picture she paints of her life on her blog is something similar to the life I see for myself, and I love her creativity. I have purchased several sampler kits from her and love every single one.

The projects in this book are simple and lovely. I would like to incorporate some of this traditional style into the simple things that make a house a home.

Definitely a book that I will buy a copy of.
Karyn
Sep 05, 2012 Karyn rated it it was amazing
I've read Alicia's blog for a few years, and I love her aesthetic taste. I was quite excited to find this book at my library!

I loved this book! At the moment I'm really not at a place where I am able to start any new projects (I've got to get this new-to-us-house organized and painted), but when the time comes, I'll be checking out this book again and embroidering some pillow cases.
Anna
Sep 13, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
I perused each of the 30 projects, and I thought there'd be at least one decorative embroidery that would appeal. Nope. Too cutesy, too reminiscent of Black Forest Germany. Oh well. Onward and onward.
Tisha
Dec 31, 2011 Tisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
This book has a few cute designs and lots of helpful tips. It also includes counted cross stitch and crewelwork.
Cassidy
Jul 22, 2013 Cassidy rated it really liked it
I love Alicia's blog and this was one of the first embroidery books I have bought. Loved the photographs and found it helpful. The little stories throughout were beautiful.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
There are some pretty motifs here amid a plethora of ugly ones, but even the nice ones look awful when executed. Plus there is little variety to the designs.
Amy
Mar 06, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Currently working my way through the projects in the wonderful, inspiring book.
Kristen
Aug 13, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
When the subtitle said "Classic Designs for Modern Living," I was expecting something a little more... modern. The designs are lovely but just too country-kitcheny for my tastes.
Candace
Jul 05, 2012 Candace rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-a-holic
Cute book... maybe a little to cute for my taste. I will probably make a few things out of this one if I have some spare time.
Krista
Jul 02, 2011 Krista rated it liked it
This was lovely to look at, and though I wouldn't make all of the projects presented, it was a good resource for a beginner like me. I'll probably come back to this in the future.
Bridget Harff
Bridget Harff rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Patrícia Custódio
Patrícia Custódio rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Helena
Helena rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Thế Duy
Thế Duy rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Juli Anna
Juli Anna rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Lisa Leggett
Lisa Leggett rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Trish Dubos
Trish Dubos rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Erin E. Eisenbarth
Erin E. Eisenbarth rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Melissa Turner
Melissa Turner rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Amber Fry
Amber Fry rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Woolly Embroidery: Crewelwork, Stump Work, Canvas Work, and More!
  • Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household (Stc Craft)
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Three: Color Knitting: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy
  • Alabama Stitch Book: Projects and Stories Celebrating Hand-Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery for Contemporary Sustainable Style
  • The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Sew What! Skirts
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z