Start by marking “The Revolutionary Paul Revere” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Quick in the saddle and fast out of town." Watch one of America's most remarkable heroes come alive through fast-paced prose and gripping storytelling.

He's Famous for his Ride. He's Essential for So Much More.

The story of Paul Revere is the story of the American Revolution.

Always smack dab in the thick of things, he was an ordinary citizen living in extraordinarily turbul
Published April 6th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Revolutionary Paul Revere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolutionary Paul Revere

Daenel
Have you ever wondered about the back story of one of America's greatest revolutionary heroes? Then The Revolutionary Paul Revere by Joel J. Miller is the book for you. It's an irreverent look at an American hero who always seemed to be in the thick of things.

The book is a quick and easy read that follows the life of Paul Revere from the immigration of his father, Apollos, in 1716 to Revere's death in 1818. Miller highlights every day events in Revere's life that propelled him into the limelight
Heather
I accepted this book for review on a whim. It was about early American history (which I love!) and they seem to be few and far between sometimes – so I jumped on this one…and I was NOT disappointed. This book gives a great in-depth look at the Revere family (formerly Rivoire) from Paul’s father, Apollos, through the end of the great American hero’s life. You get an inside look at events such as the Boston Massacre, Tea Party, battles of Lexington and Concord, the various taxations, etc. Everyone ...more
Alan
I have to admit that this book sat on my shelf for some time before I finally cracked it open. When I did, I wondered why I'd waited so long. This is a book that deserves to stand alongside other books about the era, such as [[ASIN:1400032539 His Excellency: George Washington]], and [[ASIN:0375705244 Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation]].

Joel Miller's telling of the life of Paul Revere is a tale long overdue. Maybe other books have been written about Paul R., but if so I'm not aware
Amanda Klich
Paul Revere's story has always been one of my most beloved times in history, and during the American revolution no less, one of my favorite eras. I truly appreciated this beautifully written documentation of Revere's story. Regardless that I already do, in fact, have a great vast knowledge of Revere and the revolution and our country's history, this book was still amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think you need to have "no knowledge" of American history to find this book interesting, ...more
Cheryl C.
A poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow recounts Revere's famous ride to alert the colonists that the British were coming, but there is so much more to know about this American revolutionary. Thankfully, Miller saw fit to write it all down for you in this dramatic and engaging new biography.

The book opens in 1797, with Revere as an old man writing to Reverend Jeremy Belknap, a minister, historian, and secretary of the Massachusetts Historical Society, in which Revere fulfills his promise to provid
Dale
Very approachable history

The Revolutionary Paul Revere
is a great history for newbies to the Revolutionary War's history as well as a solid history for those that are more well read.

Joel J. Miller begins his history with Paul Revere's father, Apollos Rivoire, a French Huegonot who fled to Boston for religious freedom as an indentured servant. Miller follows the family and weaves into the narrative the complex and often tense relationship between England and its American colonies.

Despite the very
J.
Just about everyone knows (or used to know) the story of Paul Revere's midnight ride: one if by land and two if by sea, and "the British are coming" and all that. But few know the rest of good ol' Paul's story. Unfortunately, it would appear there's not much else to know. Ostensibly, this book is about Paul Revere but it's more about the Revolutionary War in the Boston area and Paul's contributions to it... even if it was just that he was working most of the time and ran a few errands.

I expecte
Clockstein Lockstein
The Revolutionary Paul Revere by Joel J. Miller is an essential biography for any Founding Fathers collection. Paul Revere is best known for his midnight ride made famous by Longfellow's poem, but Revere played a vital role in America's quest for independence. He didn't have family ties going back to the Mayflower like John and Sam Adams nor was he wealthy like George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. Revere's story is that of the everyman who was angered by the unfair British taxes and practices ...more
Manny
This was a great book except for a couple of small but bothersome issues. One of the issues is the date format used by the author. He uses a '9 September 1787' had it been something like '9th of September, 1787'. The other issue is the way he used modern term to refer to the text. He should have stuck to the same period speak.

The book covers the entire life of Paul Revere including his Grand Father's indentured service to escape his country. Paul Revere had an incredible life. He did everything
Jennifer Osterman
I have a keen interest in the Revolutionary War and the history of the United States' founding, so the subject matter of this book was right up my alley. I found the writing style of the book to be extremely accessible. Through much of the book, I felt as though Paul's history was being recounted to me through oral tradition versus a history text. There were copious references, but the subject of the book was delivered with a wink and a smile. The short chapter vignettes were perfect for a quick ...more
Vipula
For someone who has no knowledge of America’s freedom struggle, “The Revolutionary Paul Revere’, is fast paced biography that not only talks about one of the most important patriots but also educates the reader on the start of the American freedom struggle The focus of the novel is Paul Revere, who is probably most known for his role as the express rider, who on one very famous midnight ride , awoke every house from Boston to Lexington and informed them about the approaching red coats. The story ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
The many rôles of Paul Revere

The story of Paul Revere (1734-1818) is the story of the American Revolution. His midnight ride (18 April 1775) – warning of the advance of the British Army leading to the battles of Lexington and Concord - continues to be regarded as a stirring patriotic symbol. But who was Paul Revere? What other roles did he have during these turbulent times?

In this book, Mr Miller describes the life, times and rôles of Paul Revere and his family. Paul Revere was to some extent an
Sarah Sammis
Paul Revere always makes me think of my fifth and sixth grade teacher. I was in a combination class and had the same three teachers for three years in a row but my "home room" teacher for two of those years was a fan of the arts. Everything she taught ended up going back to the arts.

When it came time to learn about Paul Revere, of course she read us the the famous poem but she also spoke of his work as a silver smith and the famous portrait of him painted by John Singleton Copley. In the paintin
Mike Coville
I am always fascinated by historical figures and events, and is there a better way to learn about them than to read? So I like to mix in a little historical non-fiction reading with my fiction, specifically biographies. Two of my favorite people in history is Booker T. Washington (I will write a review of his book soon) and Paul Revere.

I read this book a couple of years ago and it made me admire Paul Revere even more.

For the complete review please CLICK HERE.
Whitney Mckim
A really well written biography. Miller makes Revere's life exciting yet very down-to-earth. The book was incredibly readable and I loved the inclusion of quotations directly from Paul Revere's personal memoirs.

I began reading this book to learn more about Revere so that I could adequately adjudicate the 2011 Daughters of the American Revolution American History Essay Contest. Miller's account is informative, witty, and I learned more than I thought imaginable about Revere's role in the forming
Readers Roundtable
A Recommended Read! When we think of the Revolutionary War, one small section of that is the midnight ride of Paul Revere. That one small action seems to be all most textbooks used in school give us, a rather one dimensional picture. Joel J. Miller changes our view of the man in The Revolutionary Paul Revere and brings out the multidimensional man who aided and abetted the founding fathers. To view this review in its entirety, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/nonfi...
Bob
Great overview of Revere's life, including info on his parents, as well as the events in Boston (and Mass. in general) leading up to and after the US Revolution. The language was a little informal for the subject matter (e.g. "he went and saw his dad" instead of "father") but this wasn't too distracting because it had a smooth, conversational tone. An easy read for someone that wants to know more about Revere but doesn't want to get bogged down in too much detail or difficult language.
Bob
Mar 20, 2013 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of biography and history
What a great writer of history Joel Miller is. Nothing stuffy in this book as Paul Revere and his times come alive. For a non-fiction book, which all know the ending, Miller's breezy, fast paced prose and narrative is a true page turner. Miller's style, for all those who write history, is the one to emulate.
Mckendree Tucker
I honestly did not know much about Paul Revere's life. This was a great book to learn how a man seemed to have his hands in a lot of pivotal historical moments in our country's story. I loved how he used his creativity to further the "Cause" of victory in freedom for America.
Bonnie
This historical narrative was an extremely pleasant read. I breezed right through it, enjoying the way the author put Revere's activities in historical context. Very accessible for even the most historically challenged reader! Highly recommend!
Heather
I gave up on this. While I initially found the author's style light and entertaining, I soon found it, for lack of a better word, annoying. Sorry, my reading time is precious. I'm calling this one and moving on.
Cathy

Paul Revere was much more important and interesting than the small amount of attention given to him. The ride was minimal compared to his other contributions.
Tim
He is a fascinating man. Did you know he was one of the founders of the armored ship by being the first to create copper sheeting to adhere to ship's hulls?
Titanic Buff
Not as thorough as I would have preferred, it is still an overall good read. The author is a bit informal in his writing as well.
John
A "pop" bio, but pretty good. Nice overview of his life, good for someone (like me) who did not know much about Revere.
Becky
A quick read, interesting facts about the life and who Paul Revere was.
James Tessin
James Tessin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bad Trip: How the War Against Drugs Is Destroying America The Portable Patriot: Documents, Speeches, and Sermons That Compose the American Soul Size Matters: How Big Government Puts the Squeeze on America's Families, Finances, and Freedom (and Limits the Pursuit of Happiness) Creation Sings Damien Duff: The Biography