Start by marking “Within Our Reach: Ending the Mental Health Crisis” as Want to Read:
Within Our Reach: Ending the Mental Health Crisis

Within Our Reach: Ending the Mental Health Crisis

In Within Our Reach: Ending the Mental Health Crisis, Rosalynn Carter and coauthors Susan K. Golant and Kathryn E. Cade render an insightful, unsparing assessment of the state of mental health. Mrs. Carter has been deeply invested in this issue since her husband’s gubernatorial campaign when she saw firsthand the horrific, dehumanizing treatment of people with mental illne ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Within Our Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within Our Reach

MAP
May 20, 2010 MAP rated it liked it
I won an advanced copy of this book off of a Goodreads Giveaway.

In this book, Rosalynn Carter discusses her advocacy for and observations of the changes in the mental health field since she first noticed what was lacking. As a graduate student getting my PhD in clinical psychology, I was very excited to win a copy of this and she what she had to say, and very excited that she was an advocate for mental health in general.

The book, in my opinion, was a mixed bag. I cannot adequately review some of
Sharon
Mar 30, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-health
Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has long been a staunch advocate for the mentally ill. In "Within Our Reach," she details some of the reasons that improvements for their care recommended more than 30 years ago still have not been implemented, and why the mental health crisis has escalated.

One cannot watch the news or read the papers without seeing stories about returning veterans suffering with post-traumatic stress disorder in numbers greater than ever seen before, and how their promised safe
pri
May 16, 2010 pri rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I wasn't aware of Rosalynn Carter's work in the mental health field until recently and found this book a full account of the work that she has done in her 35 years working on this issue. She covers the basics of why our current system fails us - fails all of us - and programs that have been put in place to help address those issues and gaps. But certainly calls for the rally to arms to put more effective programs in place.

Quote: For diabetes and heart disease, you want to know what works over m
Grandma Sue
Oct 18, 2010 Grandma Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rosalynn Carter and her co-writer offer an up-to-date evaluation of the progress in this challenging area of medicine. Although social services are very slow to catch up with what research proves effective, especially in these tough economic times, it's encouraging that research is showing with proper treatment recovery is possible in most cases. The most recent pharmaceutical and brain research is also covered. The need for more advocacy and education of the general public becomes obvious and i ...more
Robert
Dec 28, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
I read this book because an autographed copy was given to me by Amy Woodward.
It surpassed my expectations. This book is an honest assessment of what has gone wrong and would can be done to better the plight of our nation's mentally ill. The most dismal realization for me was the chapter that dealt with the way our society has gone from rescuing the mentally ill from institutions to just criminalizing them and throwing them into the justice system. Cautiously optimistic, Rosalynn provides exampl
Deborah
Mar 20, 2010 Deborah rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deborah by: Good Reads
Rosalynn Carter has been involved in attempting to improve the mental health system of the United States for a long time. Her book gives an important overview of the mental health system both at the time of the presidency of her husband and at the current time. Her discussion of the issues is an important wake-up call that there remains much work to be done to improve the treatment and well-being of those who have mental illness.
Jill
Sep 07, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
Glad for the attention to the topic by famous people, but the book itself is a weak regurgitation of the obvious. I found no plan or strategy or useful insights. Disappointing.
Sally
Jan 03, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it
I loved the straightforward style of this book. Mrs. Carter has much to say about what needs to happen to repair the mental health system so it supports people who live with mental illness.
Alexia
Jan 08, 2013 Alexia rated it really liked it
Great introduction to issues related to mental health
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Diane Dreher
Diane Dreher rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2010
Adam Burgdorf
Adam Burgdorf rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Elaina Meier
Elaina Meier rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2010
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
May 18, 2010
Breanna
Breanna rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Cstauffer
Cstauffer rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Ramona
Ramona rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Christine M Baxter
Christine M Baxter rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Mandi
Mandi rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2010
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Kassel
Kassel rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Dave Murray
Dave Murray rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Melvin Mazariegos
Melvin Mazariegos rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2014
Candace
Candace rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2017
Cline
Cline rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2010
Roxymor
Roxymor rated it liked it
May 08, 2011
  • Between the Sheets: Nine 20th Century Women Writers & Their Famous Literary Partnerships
  • The New Deal: A Modern History
  • Awkward Bitch: My Life with MS
  • The Family Guide to Mental Health Care
  • Strong at the Broken Places: Voices of Illness, A Chorus of Hope
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large
  • We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication
  • Stalking Irish Madness: Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia
  • Will Work for Drugs
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, 1932-1940
  • Forever Barbie: The Unauthorized Biography of a Real Doll
  • Twenty Years at Hull House
  • Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • The Fat Studies Reader
  • The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction
  • Somebody Somewhere: Breaking Free from the World of Autism
  • Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage
Eleanor Rosalynn Smith Carter is the wife of former United States President Jimmy Carter and was First Lady of the United States from 1977 to 1981.
More about Rosalynn Carter...