Start by marking “Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates” as Want to Read:
Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates

Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates

“The illustrations give a goofy elasticity to the characters. . . . Youngsters will cheer for humble Henry, who becomes a hero because he is so well prepared.”
—School Library Journal

Barnacle Black Ear and his band of Buccaneer Bunnies are back! The floppy-eared scallywags are busy — shooting one another out of cannons; swinging from the masts of their ship — too busy to li
Published September 28th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates

Kim
Sep 09, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know what? I love Carolyn Crimi. I do. I love her. She saved my bacon when I took the ill-advised storytime idea of a Egypt with "Where's my Mummy?" I love this one too. Yes, it's a longer one, better for older preschool and up. But their are rabbit and chicken pirates in it! Yes, there is a lame poop joke and it's not quite as tight a story as some of her others, but I don't care. This book is fun, with Crimi's nice mix of onomatopoeia and repetition. And chicken pirates.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 1/12/12 -

Julia and I read this the other day right after we finished our first Henry book, Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies. We liked this as much as we did the first and I was glad that this story takes off where the other one stopped. There haven't been many books we've read that have done that so I was happy to introduce this to Julia.
Besides her seeing me reading sequels and such she hasn't seen much of it herself.
A lot of the same things apply to this book. The titles of
Heidi-Marie
A second Henry bunny book. I didn't like it as much as the first, but it's nice to see what our Buccaneer Bunnies have been up to. I like that Henry has to try and fail and then try again as the story moves along. Great thing to show kids that you have to be persistent and not give up. I don't think I'll read this one in my summer pirate-theme storytime, but I will keep it and its predecessor on hand.
Sabrina
Jul 26, 2011 Sabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the story highly entertaining and full of good lessons for children. (i.e. You are more likely to be brave if you are prepared.) I loved that Henry never gave up even when people told him to and that because he diligently practiced and prepared he was ready when those crazed chicken pirates came after his fellow buccaneers. It was pleasant to read and I think that young children would enjoy the story.
Erin
Mar 02, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies (used quite often as a summer reading story) so I had high expectations for this book. That being said it's a good book just not as good as it's predecessor. However, I did like that Henry wrote his own book after researching and how he learned by his mistakes so he was ready when it came time to "battle" the chickens.
Meg McGregor
A rollicking sequel to Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies, this is a fast-poaced adventures that girls and boys will just love.

The pictures jump off the page and remind me of Disney's Roger Rabbit.

The tale is that Henry knows that crazed chicken pirates are coming to rob them and he makes traps to capture them. Great fun!
Suzy
May 02, 2011 Suzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-ficton
Got this book for a pirate preschool lesson. I like that there wasn't swearing and fighting/blood/guts/gore. Just a fun story about buccaneer bunnies. However, I didn't like the name calling...I try to minimize that around our house, so I didn't read those parts - thankfully my kids can't read yet. :)
Sheila
Oct 01, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry and his friends are living on an island. Henry finds a note in a bottle and starts worrying about the threat in the note. No one else worries. Henry makes plans in case the threat happens but he's clumsy. It is good though that Henry has plans.

This is humorous. I love Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies. They make me laugh. I love the illustrations. Great for your little ones.
Colleen Mertens
Oct 02, 2013 Colleen Mertens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this sequel to Henry and the Bucaneer Bunnies. In this, Henry moves from just reading books to actually writing them. It is interesting to see how everyone reacts to that and the resulting book and its use. Another good kids book.
Aug 21, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Henry worries about invading pirates after finding a mysterious message in a bottle. Luckily for everyone, Henry is a first-rate planner. It's hard not to love a book that contains the line, "What if a parrot poops in my eye and I can't see them coming?"
Shawnee
Oct 09, 2013 Shawnee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute and fun book! :) I read it to my parents for a bedtime story on their vacation, and they loved it too. :) Chickens, pirates, bunnies, and African Grey parrots! What more could you want?! :)
Rina
Oct 06, 2010 Rina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as great as the first one. It shows how smart it is to read and how much you can learn, but it's done in such a fun way that kids probably don't know their bring taught a lesson!
Megan M
Fun pirate story that emphasizes cleverness over violence.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suffering scallywags, Crimi has done it again! Loved it.
Rebecca
My son didn't seem too excited about this one. I thought Henry was more interesting than the pirate story line. Maybe if he were in a different setting, I would have liked it more.
Edna
Book-writing Henry uses his own suggestions for survival when he and the Buccaneer Bunnies become a prime target for a band of crazed chickens who want to steal their loot.
dennis
Aug 26, 2009 dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i honestly thought they would eat the chickens at the end. . . .
Jessica Lauber
Silly. Kids loved it though.
Julie
Jul 06, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, pirate-book
Henry loves to write down instruction manuals to plan for every situation. Always be prepared. Believe in yourself.
Kristen
Sep 19, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! Henry does tons of research and writes a survival book after his pirate crew receives a threatening note. Henry is my kind of buccaneer bunny. And I love the Crazed Chicken Pirates!
The Library Lady
Sep 26, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
How do you top a book about bunny pirates? By adding pirate CHICKENS!
(And the nice message about getting help from books doesn't hurt either..)
Kelli
Jan 27, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This book has wonderful illustrations that catch your eye. The connections to literacy are great with a bunny who loves to read and write. Henry the bunny also gives us an example of how to be brave.
Ker
Aug 22, 2015 Ker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a funny, cute little story. We liked it. Some of these rabbits do not look even remotely like rabbits. "That's no ordinary rabbit!"
Debbie Erwin
Oct 20, 2013 Debbie Erwin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 544
Fantasy. Cute but predictable story of a nerd turned hero.
Julie
Oct 20, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one really tickled my funny bone, especially the title of the book he was writing! Henry was brave and resourceful...now, what am I going to do with all the crazed chicken pirates around here??
Lisa
Oct 24, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a hit with bf, his 5-year old son, and I. Also, absolutely gorgeous artwork!
Michael
Crazed AUSTRALIAN chicken pirates!
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2010
Sherry
Aug 23, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very amusing and cute. It doesn't hurt that my son is named Henry either.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Gingerbread Pirates
  • 1 Zany Zoo
  • The Night Pirates
  • The Cow Who Clucked
Carolyn Crimi, AKA the Pirate Queen, is the author of numerous books for young readers, including BORIS AND BELLA, illustrated by Gris Grimly. Of HENRY AND THE BUCCANEER BUNNIES, she says, "While I don't have long floppy ears or a pro-nounced overbite, Henry and I are kindred spirits, who love books and carrots!"
More about Carolyn Crimi...