Start by marking “The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes” as Want to Read:
The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes

The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy’s food-and-wine connoisseur, Ted Allen, presents a quick-reference cookbook—giving you the food you really want to cook and eat, and the know-how to pull it off with ease.

"With most cookbooks, you could plow through 134 pages of complicated hors d’oeuvres, salads, and the author’s philosophical musings about food before you get to the stuff y
Published October 11th 2005 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Food You Want to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Food You Want to Eat

Holly Celeste
Mar 28, 2008 Holly Celeste rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My biggest criticism of this book is it has a serious lack of photography. That's something I like anyway, but I think it's even more important when there's so much rambling copy. (I actually liked his writing style, for the most part.) And I need the pix to decide whether I want to make something.

Well, usually. I did make the Sauteed Sea Scallops with a Sesame Seed Crust. Pretty good. Not fantastic. And I got a couple cocktail recipes I plan to use for parties. Like the Red Hot.
Lynda
Jun 12, 2009 Lynda rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A good read and I found several recipes to add to my collection, but the book was not a keeper.
Ashley
May 25, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok
My obsession with Iron Chef America borders on unhealthy. Ted Allen regularly judges on the show, and when I saw he had a cookbook out, well, I had to check it out. As you might expect from one of the Fab Five from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the book is directed toward men. The overall message is simple: Branching out from your food rut doesn't have to be difficult or scary; it can even be fun and impressive to that girl two floors down.

The recipes themselves were clearly for someone with a
Sep 04, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Another BPL book, though I'll buy this one soon. So far, have made a risotto and planned a pasta from this book, but will probably end up making almost everything. Some of his methods seem, at first, a little scandalous (sub parsley for tarragon? don't stand at the stove constantly stirring your risotto???), but he seems to know what he's doing, especially concerning Colman's hot English mustard (Nathan was a big fan of the wasabi-like heat it sent through his sinuses).
Margaret
Aug 25, 2013 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm right in the middle on this one. I like Ted Allen, and his voice is authentic and enjoyable. I'm sure this book is very helpful for those who aren't terribly familiar with or comfortable in the kitchen. I'm cookbook junkie, though, so this was on the elementary side for me. Not a bad book, just not for me.
Michael Reynolds
Oct 13, 2007 Michael Reynolds rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who cook
Basically, this book isn't for poor people. I'd hoped to get some ideas from it to help with my poverty stricken kitchen. uh, no. If you've got money to spend on ingredients and have all the handy appliances and throw parties where you serve expensive drinks, I'm sure it's great. Not so much for the college student.
Anne
Jan 10, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Well thought out and well written entry level cook book. I don't think I'll buy it because I already cook very well and most of the recipes in here that I would want to make I already do. However I may check it out of the library in the future again to try some of the other recipes.
Aug 01, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
My new go-to cookbook for classics. I'm half-tempted to send it to my husband who is far away for a year so that when I come visit he can actually cook for me. But then again, I don't want to give it up yet. It's fun to read, easy to do and inspires confidence in everyone.
Feb 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is one of my go-to cookbooks. Queer Eye came and went, but Ted Allen's cookbook has been a mainstay in my kitchen for years. I especially love his techniques for cooking meat and fish, and I use his hamburger recipe all the time in the Summer.
May 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: wine-and-food
some nice recipes, but yeah, I like pictures that display the techniques & products. This book doesn't have many. But I did like a few of the recipes I tried, just don't feel the need to run out and buy this book.

more Ted on Iron Chef!
Jul 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: on-cooking
This is an okay book, with clear instructions and some good recipes. It's definately for the "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy" crowd; a good starter cookbook aimed at men who don't know much in the kitchen.

Meghan
Aug 01, 2007 Meghan rated it it was amazing
I've got an autographed copy, and I will never let it go. Ted has found a way to make really fantastic food a possibility for those who aren't foodies, but wouldn't mind playing one for the evening.
Liz
Sep 16, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
I love love love Ted's writing. It makes reading this book so damn fun! You can feel his enthusiasm pour off the page and makes me excited to make the recipes in it.
Beka
Sep 09, 2013 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
You can definitely tell that it was his first cookbook. The layout was hard to follow, and there was a serious lack of photography.
Niko
Feb 14, 2008 Niko rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: The cast of Queer Eye
Another niche cookbook that isn't worth the trouble, unless your name is SME and you have a signed copy.
Jen
Mar 22, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drinks
This book includes some basics and some new ideas for simple recipes and easy entertaining.
Natalie Olsen
Jan 15, 2014 Natalie Olsen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Some really nice recipes in here. I always use his salmon recipe when we grill it.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
looked at because of TV show, not impressed - nothing sticks out to want to try
Kevin
Apr 16, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite cookbook. I would recommend it to anyone who like good food.
Cynthia Caprise
Cynthia Caprise marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Musekiwa Otilia
Musekiwa Otilia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Bo wang
Bo wang rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Carolyn Wolfram
Carolyn Wolfram marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Alex Metzger
Alex Metzger rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Samantha Pabisch
Samantha Pabisch marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Bryan Plocek
Bryan Plocek rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Nicole Zerola
Nicole Zerola marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Didn't I Feed You Yesterday?: A Mother's Guide to Sanity in Stilettos
  • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques
  • Good Eats 3: The Later Years

“The funny thing about Thanksgiving ,or any big meal, is that you spend 12 hours shopping for it then go home and cook,chop,braise and blanch. Then it's gone in 20 minutes and everybody lies around sortof in a sugar coma and then it takes 4 hours to clean it up.” 20 likes