Start by marking “Charlotte: The True Story Of Scandal And Spectacle In Georgian London” as Want to Read:
Charlotte: The True Story Of Scandal And Spectacle In Georgian London

Charlotte: The True Story Of Scandal And Spectacle In Georgian London

Shevelow captures Charlotte - an artist, a survivor - in all her guises, from her time among the leading lights of glamorous Drury Lane Theatre to her trials as a strolling player and puppeteer, to her comeback as the author of one of the first autobiographies written by a woman.
Published December 1st 2006 by Bloomsbury UK (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte

Nigel Holloway
Jan 31, 2014 Nigel Holloway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I owe a great debt of gratitude to Kathryn Shevelow. Let me explain...

I was researching the state of the London theatre in the early eighteenth century, when I came across the unique figure of Colley Cibber. He was one of a partnership of three men who held the patent to run the Drury Lane Theatre. This is probably not the place to describe his career, but suffice to say that as one of those in charge of that theatre, he made the biggest theatrical mistake in the history of the theatre that far:
Richard
Nov 24, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my shelf for a few years now. I'm not sure what prompted me to buy it; the weird creepy cover is far from compelling. It's a biography of Charlotte Charke, an actress who had brief success on the London stage in the 18th Century and also experience notoriety for her preference to dress in mens' clothing.

There are many gaps in surviving accounts of Charlotte's life; a reader can sometimes sense the author's frustration in not being able to know more about her subject. Since
Emma  Kaufmann
Apr 21, 2009 Emma Kaufmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman of rare talents and high spirits, Charlotte Charke (1713-1760) was an actress who delighted in scandalizing proper society — whenever she could. Her London was a stage writ large where bejeweled ladies rode in carriages past prostitutes and pickpockets, crowds munched on ginger-bread while watching hangings, and Mrs. Mapp the bonesetter realigned kneecaps for fascinated crowds. On street corners, fire-eaters, contortionists, tumblers, and dancing dogs competed for attention. Yet even amo ...more
Manda
Before picking up this book, I knew nothing about Charlotte Charke, but I'm really glad I read this because now she ranks right up with Aphra Behn as one of my favourite ladies involved in the theatre. Born into a prominent theatrical family, the Cibbers (her father was the famous comedic actor, playwright and poet laureate Colley Cibber), Charlotte debuted onstage at Drury Lane at the age of 17, making her mark playing snarky ladies' maids in comedies. She was poised to become one of the leadin ...more
Mary Ellen
Aug 17, 2012 Mary Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Good historians are often dismal writers, but Shevelow's narrative is engaging without veering off into conjecture or baseless fluff. The story of the actress Charlotte is an interesting skeleton which the author uses to support more general historical detail about the period. This context adds greatly to the story. Another strength is that Shevelow never falls prey to the twin failings of biographers - slavering adoration or spiteful condemnation. She also doesn't accept uncritically the image ...more
Megan Reichelt
I finished my first biography!!

Her story is amazing. She was born to the stage, and struggled all her life to keep it that way, but along the way she was a doctor, a groom, a valet, a shop owner, a waiter, restaurant owner, a puppeteer and puppet theater manager, a sausage seller, a writer and of course an actress, prompt book keeper, and theatrical manager.

And a lot of the times she did it while wearing breaches. She was disowned by her family because she wanted to wear men's clothing and play
Vivisection
Kathryn Shevelow was my favorite professors at UCSD. She sparked my love of all things 18th century. While I found the narrative difficult to follow at times, I loved the fact that my favorite professor is still bringing that time period to life.
I wasn't able to get far. It sounded like something I would love, but I hated that it wasn't written from the main character's point of view. It didn't feel like the reader would ever get a chance to know Charlotte.
Cefakat
Cefakat marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Francesca Tripiedi
Francesca Tripiedi marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Bethan Wallace
Bethan Wallace marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Daphne Vogel
Daphne Vogel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Carisa
Carisa added it
Dec 22, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2015
Ashley Lawlor
Ashley Lawlor marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Geoffrey Bonnycastle
Geoffrey Bonnycastle rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Aug 18, 2015
Susan M
Susan M rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Callie Mckee
Callie Mckee rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015