Start by marking “Breastfeeding Book” as Want to Read:
Breastfeeding Book

Breastfeeding Book

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  807 ratings  ·  66 reviews
In recent years there has been a resurgence of interest in breastfeeding. Yet first-time mothers often lack the support and the knowledge they need. Many of the available books fail to address the practical challenges that confront many women (especially women who work outside the home) when they choose to breastfeed. For these women, The Breastfeeding Book is a godsend -- ...more
Published November 16th 2008 by Little, Brown & Company (first published March 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Breastfeeding Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breastfeeding Book

Robin Miller
I found this book very helpful but my complaint is similar to other books about breastfeeding - they don't really offer constructive tips and guidance for working mothers. Dr. Sears and La Leche League both recommned that working mothers try to work part time or bring baby to work. I think it is great if you can make either of these options work but the truth is I do not know any women who have this luxury. Also, what about the women who feel very strongly about balancing their career and mother ...more
Mama
This is probably a great book for a 25 years old personal trainer that has a noneventful home birth and has over supply problems. If you're a 44 year old first time mother with lots of bleeding and an infant in the NICU for several days this book really doesn't have much to offer as to how to increase your milk supply. Just to be clear, if you don't need this book it has lots to offer.
I didn't find this book to be very useful, and at one point it was actively harmful. As some background, I read the early chapters before having my baby. That didn't do me any good, but that was because it was difficult to really wrap my head around all the things to consider before I had my 'breastfeeding partner' there. I then read parts of the book again after giving birth, and referenced sections as issues came up for a little while.

As for the breastfeeding advice, some of it is fine, but it
Shannon
This was a good summary of the technical details involved, but somehow it made me feel like I should feel guilty if I didn't want to nurse my child until 4, or I wanted to go back to work after all that school, and I felt that tone wasn't really warranted. But lots of good information & tips.

Addendum: I do keep referring back to it, so I'm upping my original rating. But it's still incredibly crunchy, granola-esque, and I say that as someone who walks around Northern California in Birkenstock
Melissa
This Book helped me through many nights of wanting to give up on nursing completely. Now, three breastfed babies later, I am a testiment for this book!
Melina
If you plan to breastfeed, do yourself a favor and buy this book.
Lily
I'm reviewing this book because it was a lifesaver. With my first daughter I had a horrible lactation consultant. All I cared about was my daughter nursing and getting all the colostrum she could. I had a hard time getting her to stay on my nipples. Instead of helping me, the nurses offered me formula, which I refused. The lactation specialist spent little time with me and was clueless. I left the hospital determined, but I was a little scared because Lila had jaundice. My milk had not came in e ...more
Dara
This book has been praised by medical providers and new moms alike, and I'm sure the advice and knowledge it offers is first-rate ... for some of us. However, my experience with this book was quite different.

I was given this book by a family member while expecting my first child. I knew nothing about nursing, except that it is supposed to be healthier for babies than formula. As a new mom of course I wanted only the best for my son, and I believed that Dr. Sears was in a better position than any
jacky
I saw this recommended by a few people as the top breastfeeding book. I'm not super impressed by it. I think that there are two reasons for this. One, I'm passed the beginning of breastfeeding at the time I'm reading it. This would probably have been very useful before I started or in the beginning, but at 7 months, I either have already worked my way through the problems discussed or have learned the information presented else where when it comes to most of the chapters. This book only had 20 p ...more
Indah ip
Buku terbaik dan terlengkap tentang menyusui yang pernah aku baca. Dibuat udah lama, tapi informasinya masih ok sampai sekarang.

Kenapa paling lengkap? Karena hanya di buku ini aku menemukan cukup informasi soal menyusui anak kembar dan soal breastfeeding father(termasuk posisi2 nursing father).

Banyak beredar buku tentang menyusui sampai saat ini, tapi sangat-sangat sedikit yang membahas cukup lengkap tentang bagaimana menyusui anak kembar ;-)

Suami-isteri Sears menuliskan begitu banyak hal dengan
Jen
No. Find the one from the American association of pediatrics. This one is terrible and will make you feel inadequate.
Jenna
Sep 26, 2007 Jenna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers, expectant mothers, breastfeeding mothers
This is a book that all expectant and breastfeeding mothers should have in their library.

Why only four stars if it is a "must have?" It's not the easiest read out there concerning breastfeeding. It took me awhile to get through simply because of the sheer volume of information presented in the book. HOWEVER, because of that sheer volume and the inclusion of absolutely everything that could go right or wrong, mothers need to have this book on hand in case they have a question or problem and no la
Rebecca
I am surprised that I was able to pick up this book and read it cover to cover. I thought I'd just pick and choose a few chapters to read, but it was actually good enough to read the whole way through. I read this in preparation for my first little one to be born. I also took a class on breastfeeding around the same time. I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, but I feel as prepared as possible to breastfeed. It gave me a lot of confidence that anyone can breastfeed if they put their m ...more
Nicole
I didn't read this book from cover to cover, just skimmed around and used the index to find help for things I was wondering about. It's a pretty good book and has some helpful ideas. I bought it years ago, with my first child, whom I was having trouble nursing, after reading the author's columns in Baby Talk magazine and finding those helpful. The lacatation consultant I saw was tremendously helpful, more so than this book. However, I think it is a good reference to have on hand and refer to.
Celeste
Apr 08, 2008 Celeste rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to be more educated about breastfeeding
I purchased this book after I had purchased The Baby Book from Dr. Sears. It helped me with my latch on issues and well as suggested other methods for those we working on breastfeeding. I am so confident with this book I loaned it to a friend. She had always found breastfeeding painful but for 2 children going on 3 she was still going to do it. I suggested this book for her because I believe noone should breastfeed in pain. She must have liked it cause I never got it back.

Erika
Source: Molly Booth
Response: I can’t help but feeling like their “child-centered” method is a little too child-centered. I don’t think I have the personality to live so flexibly. However, it was good for me to hear from that end of the spectrum so that when I get frustrated that Rolland isn’t following the plans I have for him and us, I can relax a little, remembering that there are many very different ways to take care of a baby and they all seem to work in the end.
Franziska
It seemed like a pretty comprehensive book on everything you might want to know about breast feeding. But beware, this book will definitely suggest that is pretty much just one right thing to do: breast feed. Being a little uncomfortable with the idea of breast feeding, I found this book at times more guilt-tripping and discouraging than helping me feel excited and ready...but then, I don't know if any book could get me excited about this.
Kim
Since I read this book while pregnant, what I especially liked in it was the description of what to expect the very first time I put baby to breast -- right after birth, that is. The descriptions of common problems that may come up (and how to deal with them) seemed clear, too. I thought it was a good introduction to breastfeeding, but I'll know just how good of an introduction it was in a few weeks, I suppose!
Hannah
This all makes sense now, but is a little abstract without an actual infant to apply the concepts with. Like the entire Dr. Sears series, some of the narrative has to be taken with an entire salt shaker of "yes, it is OK to occasionally detach yourself from your baby" and obviously it's laced throughout with assumptions about gender roles in caretaking, but there's plenty of helpful information to balance that out.
The introduction and first two chapters were very helpful. After that, it didn't seem worth reading. All that information may help me AFTER I begin breastfeeding, but as an expecting mother, it wasn't necessary. I will say that because of this book, I will most likely be looking into either a lactation consultant or at least talking to my midwife about the hows. I don't want to mess anything up!
Inder
This is a bit redundant with Sears' The Baby Book, but full of useful information nonetheless. Especially, I appreciated the chapter on breastfeeding for working mothers. The usual Sears bias towards stay-at-home-moms is here, but oddly, this book addresses the concerns of working mothers better than any other I have read thus far.
Kate
Not all babies read "in utero" guides to be the best baby they can be...Therefore, breastfeeding can be quite a challenge. I've had two babies that were eager to eat regardless of how or where they were latched! Thank God for Dr. Sears...there's a lot to know about breastfeeding and so many benefits for both mom and baby!
Leah
This book was good, but is in no way the only breastfeeding book you need. It was decent at explaining the mechanics, but didn't have enough information of what it is really like for me. I preferred "So that's what they're for," and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding."

That being said, it's a good introductory book.
Lauren
Lots and lots of information here! It was useful to read cover-to-cover before hand, and I anticipate using it more as a reference book once I'm in the middle of things. I'm not sure that I agree with everything the authors had to say, but it was well worth the read!
Alicia
This book got me through the first two months after my daughter was born. It helped me learn everything I needed to know about making sure she was well taken care of. Some of the book is unrealistic, but overall, it was very informative and a good guide.
Emily
I read this book when I was first learning to breastfeed my son. I really liked it. It seemed to answer a lot of the questions that I had at the time. I would recommend it to any new mom looking for more information when breastfeeding their baby.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this book. It is a great resource, whether you read it cover to cover, or a chapter here and there. I have breast fed six children now until they were in the 12-15 month range. This is a great book on the subject.
Amy
This book helped me not be terrified to breastfeed-and during my pregnancy, I was. I read this book and felt, not only good about my decision, but confident I could figure it out. This book was a life-saver in a time of panic.
Alicia
This book is so wonderful. Every time I read about breastfeeding it makes me feel good about my decision to breastfeed. There are so many benefits. I wish every woman could experience how wonderful breastfeeding is.
Jan 31, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expectant & new parents
Recommended to Sarah by: Katie Hewlett
This is a helpful book to have in your breastfeeding library. I didn't read it cover-to-cover, but used it as a reference along with the La Leche League book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child
  • Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • The Birth Partner
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Husband-Coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth
Martha is the mother of eight children, a registered nurse, a former childbirth educator, a La Leche League leader, and a lactation consultant. Martha is the co-author of 25 parenting books and is a popular lecturer and media guest drawing on her eighteen years of breastfeeding experience with her eight children (including Stephen with Down Syndrome and Lauren, her adopted daughter). Martha speaks ...more
More about Martha Sears...
The Complete Book of Christian Parenting and Child Care: A Medical and Moral Guide to Raising Happy Healthy Children How to Get Your Baby to Sleep: America's Foremost Baby and Childcare Experts Answer the Most Frequently Asked Questions The First Three Months: America's Foremost Baby and Childcare Experts Answer the Most Frequently Asked Questions The Healthy Pregnancy Book: Month by Month, Everything You Need to Know from America's Baby Experts Keeping Your Baby Healthy: America's Foremost Baby and Childcare Experts Answer the Most Frequently Asked Questions