Under the Radar (Sisterhood, #13)

Under the Radar (Sisterhood #13)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,524 ratings  ·  80 reviews
In The Middle Of The Night, The Sisterhood Is Your Only HopeA Sister's work is never done-not when there are wrongs to right and underdogs to defend. Just returned to their mountaintop hideaway after their latest successful mission, the seven fearless friends enjoy a celebratory dinner and retire to bed. But within an hour, an alarm sounds, and the ladies rush into the com...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Zebra Books (first published February 1st 2009)

Kelley
Courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

The seven women making up the Sisterhood have just returned to their mountain command center when their chief coordinator, Charles Martin, and mentor, Myra Rutledge, are called away in the middle of the night for a family emergency. Shortly after they leave, the Sisters receive a phone call from former judge Pearl Barnes who has just happened across a stranded bus full of pregnant teens. As it turns out, these girls are part of a polygamist sect. The Sisters s...more
Kathy Davie
Thirteenth in the Sisterhood vengeance-suspense series based on a group of women seeking justice for those who can't find it in the existing legal system. This particular story takes part mostly in Utah.

My Take
This story is a perfect example of how stupid the women are! They have been going on forever and ever about how they don't need no steenking men and, in this story, when Charles takes off, they practically blackmail the guy into giving up his computer password because...listen up...they...more
Rebecca
This is the first time the Sisterhood has taken on a mission without Charles and Myra's help. I really liked seeing the women complete the mission without Charles, because the main theme of the Sisterhood books is basically that women can do anything. This book is the first to show that the women could handle a mission on their own.
Alexia561
This is the 13th book in the Sisterhood series, featuring a group of women who have formed a sort of secret vigilante group. If you haven't read any of the series yet, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one, as I didn't feel it was very strong. Okay if you already know the characters, not so much if you're new to the series.

The book starts off by the vigilantes losing Charles, their main strategist, as he heads off to deal with a personal crisis. Myra, his lady love, goes with him at the la...more
Donna
This wasn't quite as strong a book as he prior sisterhood novels.
Charles is called back to England when a son he didn't know existed is hospitalized with possibly fatal trauma incurred while testing aircraft for the British government.
Meanwhile, a mission comes up involving young teenage brides in a polygamist compound. The Sisters decide to take on the misssion with Annie and Nicki stepping in as planners. It's a bumpier ride without Charles' years of experience as an undercover agent.
Lisa
Aug 20, 2009 Lisa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Well, that's two days of my life i'm never getting back. Forced and unbelievable characterization and stilted dialog throughout. Terrible!
Maggie61
I am not sure why I keep reading this series. The writing is not great, the story is all over the place and the dialogue is ridiculous at times. I guess I am hoping that the series will return to how great the first few books were. So far though, that isn't happening. The earlier books spent more time into the planning of the revenge and the revenge itself. As this series progresses though it seems like a lot of meaningless babble and very little on the juicy revenge/justice on the people deserv...more
Karen
Date: November 2011
Time read: 30 minutes
Pages read: 33-51

Charles and Myra went in the helicopter. They went alone. They went to see Charles's son that he did not know he existed. His son had an helicopter crash. It was unexpectedly. They went to the hospital. The Sisters are in charge of everything in the house.They are too many , they are adults. They are like agents. They help people. The Sisters are Charles's and Myra's friends.Pearl is in trouble. Pearl is one of their friends. Pearl is dri...more
Debbie Mosley
on page 78. I started this book, having absolutely no idea what it is about. Was reading it before bed and am glad I did not have nightmares. It is the kind of thing that makes me MAD. Abuse, polygamy, rape of children under age 13-14, as they marry the "Prophet" and become pregnant. The Prophet "owns" all the women and children... and as if this isn't enough to make steam come out your ears... since the Prophet only has ONE legal wife... all the teen moms are on the welfare system... do the mat...more
Jintana
Sisterhood ซีรีส์ที่ 13 ที่เกี่ยวกับเืมืองที่มีลัทธิที่ผู้ชายในชุมชนมีภรรยาหลายคน (polygamy) โดยที่ผู้หญิงโดนล้างสมองโดยผู้นำลัทธิและเมือเริ่มแตกวัยสาวก็จะโดนจับแต่งงานเพื่อมีลูกและรับเงินสวัสดิการของรัฐ

Sisterhood ที่สมาชิกคนหนึ่งเป็นถึงอดีตผู้พิพากษาได้พยายามเข้าไปช่วยเด็กผู้หญิงที่อายุเพียง 14 ปีแต่ตั้งท้องกับผู้ชายวัยคราวพ่อ แต่คราวนี้สมาชิกทุกคนต้องช่วยเหลือตนเองอย่างสุดความสามารถเพราะมันสมองที่ช่วยวางแผนงานอย่างชาร์ลสติดภารกิจส่วนตัวที่ต้องไปสะสางที่ประเทศอังกฤษโดยมีมิร่าติดตามไปด้วย

เรื่อง...more
Manju
Well after final justice (the book previous to this one in the series), I was ready to never touch the series again but the first line of the summary hooked me.
This book is definitely an improvement and it definitely ends with the reader on tenterhooks as to what will happen in the next book.
Unfortunately, as is repeatedly said throughout the book "there is no plan" is true - neither a plan nor a plot.
I was hoping that in the absence of Charles, the sisterhood would build some semblance of a pla...more
Carol  MacInnis
With the Sisters back on the mountaintop after their last mission, they are awakened by the alarm. The run to the compound to find their mentor, Charles Martin and Myra running to catch the helicopter. A note is found which reads that Charles has a personal emergency and does not know if he will/can return.

Meanwhile retired justice Pearl Barnes is asking for help from the girls as she has just saved fourteen pregnant teenagers who belong to a polygamy sect. The girls must now rally together and...more
Allen
13 in the series and the first one without Charlse's help. It is about a scam of a polygamist "Prophet" in Utah to cheat the welfare system.
Donna Mcnab
As always, this "Sisterhood" book is fun and well written. Under the rather lighthearted writing, is the more serious subject of a polygamist sect run by the "Prophet", cheating welfare, and "marrying" 12 and 13 year old girls to get them pregnant, therefore raking in more welfare. This subject has certainly been popping up in the news over the past few years and it is rather troubling to see just how bad the situation can be for young girls and boys born within these sects. This book makes you...more
Patricia Solla
This book show the sisterhood at its best. The women are left to figure out what to do about a situation that arises that needs their intervention and the key figure who usually puts a plan together and runs the action is off on a mission that does not include the sisterhood. Lots of action. The reader learns about polgamy and the sects that create their compounds and have a leader who contols the people within. Good action. More to come for the sisterhood can't wait to see what happens next.
Zjourney
I did not enjoy this book. I found myself rolling my eyes in exasperation again & again. I thought their interactions - especially with each other - were *extremely* abrasive. Their dependence on Charles for everything from missions to meals was beyond annoying. Their bickering like children & being treated as such was stupid. Their mission & grandstanding was sickening. Come on, Fern! Get off the testosterone show-boat & give us back the sisterhood!
Darlene Ferland
This Sisterhood was eerily real. . . Fern Michaels set this book with the Vigilante's and the FBI working to rescue the children of a cult-like man called the Prophet. Polygamy and brain-washing,
communal-like living and pedophile/abuse are the buzz words for this disturbing novel but the women do save the day as much as they could. . .
Sharon
Did not relate to any of the characters-- since this is the 13th in the series, obviously the reader was supposed to already know the members of The Sisterhood, but I did not and did not care for any of them. They were one-dimensional and I felt that I was reading one of those terrible car-chasing, crashing, loud TV shows that I hate.
Erica
I finally figured out why i don't like this author's books. They are dialogue heavy and have little to no plot line. The fast moving pace would be fine in a magazine article, but in a book that is supposedly a series there is no character development, no scene setting and no plot development. This is the last Michaels book i read.
Marnie
Have to say that this is one of the better books I have read since the first 7 books of the sisterhood. Hope that they continue to pick up a bit. Still enjoy reading the series! If you were to want to only read specifics after the first 7 books I would say that this is a definite read. Good job to the sisterhood in this one!
Nikki
Mar 27, 2009 Nikki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of the sisterhood series
I know that I said that I wasn't going to read another book in this series, but I caved...........

And I have to say I am glad that I did. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I am intrigued to find out what happens next. I guess I'm back for the long haul...........will it ever end??? I guess I'll stay tuned to find out.
Joan
I once again enjoyed the read! This is the first time the Sisterhood took on an assignment without Charles. I thought the Polygamous storyline was an interesting one and very sad because it's based on reality. I do want them to bring Charles back for Myra! The subplot about Charles could have been expanded more.
Mark Buehl
Another sisterhood book and another good read. This one has two stories going at the same time. This is good and bad. Good in the sense that they are tied together and one supports the other. Bad in the sense that it distracts from the main story some. All the characters are there and with the normal ending.
Truitti
Even though I enjoy her books in general, I just don't know what kind of a mind can come up with heroines that are so sweet but do such horrendous things to people out of a sense of "justice". I don't know why I keep reading these books. There is something fascinating about her writing.
Ceah
This book kept me guessing until the end, and then it got me laughing. Michaels characters have a such a twisted sense of humor, I wasn't sure what they were going to do next. They might be classified as vigilantes, but I like their style of bringing down the culprit in this book.
Ruth
Sisterhood series... Chief Justice Pearl Barnes story> Pearl runs an underground railroad to help abused and displaced women and has just rescued 14 pregnant teenagers who belong to a highly secretive and controversial polygamy sect. EXCELLENT (third re-read)
Julie
Jan 05, 2010 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Marnie
I don't know if I liked this book since it has been so long since I read a sisterhood book but I found this one to be quite good. I just finished the second series of Big Love so it was fitting I would read this book now.
Marcia
Listened to the first CD. The reader completely turned me off the story. Each character had a different voice; English, southern drawl, oriental. The reader also read too fast like she was flying through the story.
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This was another good book in the Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels. I absolutely love these characters and always like to see how they seek their own brand of justice. I would definately recomend reading this series!
Donna
Laural Merlington reads this series and is excellent. The Sisterhood story lines are about equalizing injustice for women. They are creative and funny in a gape-mouthed way with characters you grow to love.
  • 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove, #10)
  • Flirting With Disaster (The Charleston Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secret Hour
  • Windfall: Impulse\Temptation
  • At Hidden Falls (Angel's Bay, #4)
  • One Summer (Shelter Bay, #2)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Everything to Gain
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)