Start by marking “Fables, Vol. 14: Witches” as Want to Read:
Fables, Vol. 14: Witches

Fables, Vol. 14: Witches (Fables #14)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,227 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
While the meek and mild flying monkey Bufkin is trapped in Fabletown's collapsed business office with the evil witch Baba Yaga, Frau Totenkinder and the witches at the Farm upstate prepare to deal with Mister Dark down in what's left of Fabletown.
Published December 7th 2010 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Fables, Vol. 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables, Vol. 14

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
The Fables series is back on track after Volume 13 Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover, which was one of the first volumes in the series I didn't rate five stars in a long time. When I considered this book, I knew I was being extra-picky not to give it five stars. The story really is excellent, and some of the profound questions I've had about the Witches on the 13th Floor are starting to be answered. The reveal on Frau Totenkinder is deeper than I thought and was written so poetically. ...more
David
This was a great return to the old Fables style after the mediocre distraction of The Great Fables Crossover last volume. In fact, there was a lot in this book that is what I loved about this series in the first place. Previously minor characters suddenly rise in importance. Comic relief sidekicks take A Level of Badass. We get some background information about the Empire, old threads in the storyline we thought forgotten are brought back into play, and the main story arc moves forward (albeit o ...more
Jonathan

This is perhaps the second strongest volume in the Fables series - that I have read - as it follows on from the introduction of Mr Dark (view spoiler). It is in general a grand reminder of what I find so appealing about these as graphic novels.

I tend to read different genres differently. To me I personally perceive graphic novels as in a slightly realm of fiction due to their unique combination of visual as well as written mediums. As
Rainbow
Jul 21, 2011 Rainbow rated it it was amazing
AHHH!!!

This comic is so good it makes by brain hurt and restores my faith in humanity. One the five-starsiest five stars of all time!
Melissa (The Lit Queen)
Sep 22, 2015 Melissa (The Lit Queen) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics
"You've managed to make an enemy of Bufkin, the monkey, once he decided he needed to destroy you, you were basically doomed."
"I've never heard of such a creature. What are his powers?"
"He reads. He reads everything."

This is one of my favorite lines in all the Fables volumes but it's not one of my favorite volumes of Fables.
Bry
Jul 06, 2011 Bry rated it really liked it
Yet another awesome installment in the Fables universe! The collection of comics focused on The evolution of the circles of witches with Totenkinder's disappearance, issues happening in Haven, and the Dark Man continues plotting away and waiting for the Fables to come to him.

Definitely a good set up for some big future events!! Now to get my hands on #15!
Vincent Stoessel
Jun 15, 2015 Vincent Stoessel rated it really liked it
Solid! This was so good I have to retroactively lower my rating on the previous volume. All is forgiven and we can pretend The Great Fables Crossover never happened.
Eda Louise
Nov 01, 2015 Eda Louise rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite volume in the series. Hail Frau Totenkinder!
A B
Jan 27, 2015 A B rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aside from the introduction of Ozma (sweet!) and a somewhat amusing but unexciting Bufkin sequence, there isn't much to this volume other than setting the stage for the next volume. Rose Red is still whinging, Gepetto is still a jerk, the Frog Prince is still saintly, etc. More like watching someone setting a table for a meal with the understanding that it's equally possible a Michelin 3 star restaurant or Taco Bell will be providing the food. In fact, the denouement of a bonus tale of a basebal ...more
Bonnie
Dec 28, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Oh, Fables. It's so nice to have you back after the unsatisfying interlude that was Fables: The Great Fables Crossover. That was basically the Jack series with cameo appearances by Bigby and Snow. And the Jack series is far inferior to Fables.

One of the things I love most about Fables is that characters that seem like they're harmless/comic relief/side characters get to shine and show that they're way more badass than you'd ever given them credit for. This time it's Bufkin's (the flying monkey'
Daniel Etherington
Aug 25, 2013 Daniel Etherington rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, fantasy
Fables has been fading, slowly but surely, for a long time. But when classic, early Fables is so stupendously good, even faded, slightly-past-its-prime Fables is still among the best comics available.

There's a feeling here that Willingham has said a lot of what he wanted to say with the characters, and certain motifs in the narrative are starting to feel repetitive. After the original "Adversary" storyline reached its epic climax, that felt like a natural place to call it a day. However, the co
Karissa
Aug 12, 2012 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the fourteenth book in the Fables series and finally takes us back to the storyline started in book twelve. Finally we learn more about what Mister Dark is up to and what happened to Baba Yaga. It was very good installment in this series; I enjoyed it a lot.

The first part of the book goes through the history of Mister Dark and how he was trapped in the first place. Then we go to Fabletown where the witches are preparing to smackdown with Mister Dark. Ozma is trying to throw out Frau Tote
David Caldwell
Sep 10, 2013 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
Issues 86 to 93 of the Fables series is collected in this 14th volume of the Fables graphic novels.

After the events of the Great Fables Crossover, we return to the regular Fables storyline. The magical Fables ramp up their preparations to face the Dark Man. But there is power struggles developing between Frau Totenkinder and Ozma. Geppetto is also on hand stirring up trouble.

There is also a backup story about Flycatcher in his first real challenge in dealing with his decision to mix Gobs into hi
alana
It's been awhile since I've read any Fables, and I'd forgotten about the little evil man, to be honest. However, spotlights are on both Frau Totenkinder and Buffkin -- two of my Fables favs -- so Witches was a fun read despite me being out of synch with the Fableverse. This volume briefly introduces the Boxers, a group of men who can capture magical beings. Two issues also take us back to Haven, Flycatcher, and goblins gone wild.
M. Ashraf
Apr 22, 2016 M. Ashraf rated it really liked it
Shelves: fables-vertigo
This is great especially after the dreadful filler of last time.
Mr. Dark, the dark-one, Abu Ragel Ma Slokha :p :p :p this made me very excited reading about him and seeing him in action and kudos for Willingham for bringing daemons from all over the world and tie them with The Dark one.
General monkey vs Baba Yaga was fun.

- You've managed to make an enemy of Bufkin, the monkey, once he decided he needed to destroy you, you were basically doomed.
-- I've never heard of such a creature. What are
Karen
May 06, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This may have been a little hard to follow at first because it was going from one character to another. But one of my favorite characters did play a very important in it. And of course there was just enough humor in it as a seriousiness
Wealhtheow
May 05, 2013 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
The Adversary has been defeated, but at great cost--not least, financial. With their usual magical sources of money tapped, the Fables are fast running out of money to fund all the things that keep them hidden from the mundanes. Frau Totenkinder vows to solve this problem, but meanwhile Ozma makes a play for her seat and Baba Yaga is freed from her magical prison. Despite the epic witches involved in this story, its all resolved in pretty anticlimactic ways.

In a short story that follows these tr
Angela
Dec 08, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
Obsessed.
Christopher
Mar 02, 2016 Christopher rated it liked it
A Valentine's gift from my lovely wife.

It's been a while since I last read Fables. The whole Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover made me slow-down and read some of the Jack books first. On top of that, I was a little unhappy with the character of the Dark Man introduced in Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages. This volume adds more depth to the Dark Man character... I still feel like I'm missing the menace I should be feeling, but the whole Order of Boxers aside helped give some more feeling f
Jessica
Oct 22, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
It’s been forever since I’ve actually enjoyed one of these. I’m glad to see more of the Thirteenth Floor and Fabletown, or Farm, politics are getting interesting again. Also, the characters are actually thinking, making strategies, and complex issues aren’t solved with Willingham spouting his political beliefs. I feel like it’s been a while since that happened.

Volume 14 features three stories.

“Boxing Day” is a short that serves as a prologue of sorts to the “Witches” story. The story details how
Tays
Jul 15, 2015 Tays rated it really liked it
This was a great comeback from the previous volume. Judging how poorly that went, Witches got this title back to where I saw it fit before. The socio-political drama in the 6-parter story of Witches was rather compelling and enjoyable. And the last 2-parter stories in Haven was very endearing to read. Fly truly is a great King if you ask me, it's safe to assume that next to Boy Blue - Fly is the character I'm rooting for. Hahah.
Stanley
May 09, 2015 Stanley rated it really liked it
This was not your normal Fables story, but after the previous Literals arc, it was was close enough, while giving you something a little different.

Each of the first few issues of Whitches focesed on a different which. During this time we get more back story on Mr. Dark and how he was captured.

We also get the really fun and silly story of how Bufkin saved the day by defeating Boba Yaga and a powerful DJinn.

Meanwhile, you have Frau reverting to your beautiful form of youth as she tries to take the
Rahsaan
Dec 05, 2014 Rahsaan rated it really liked it
It is a welcome relief that we return to the Fables story, proper.

Spoilers incoming

Recap:
While Mr. Dark builds his keep Castle Dark in NYC, he reminisces about his capture. (Just go with it. It explains who the Empire captured him and other magical entities and use them to power their own magical forces.

Back on the Farm, power plays are being called. With Rose still circling the drain in depression, others look to take control. Namely, Geppheto (offering to rebox Mr. Dark), Brock (promising
Jordan
The adventure continues! First, the delightfully creepy Mr. Dark narrates the tale of how he was originally placed in his stone tomb. It is the tale of the seemingly-young Dunster Happ, a warlock in the service of the Empire who is asked to join a secret society known only as the Boxing League, a society dedicated to tracking down and imprisoning such threats as Baba Yaga and Mr. Dark. This was a fun tale, and not just because the recruiter was apparently based on Liam Neeson's turn as Qui-Gon J ...more
Jeannette
Sep 04, 2014 Jeannette rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Kathy Wheeler
Dec 14, 2010 Kathy Wheeler rated it really liked it
I love the Fables graphics novels but I didn't particularly like this one. Through the entire series they've built Baba Yaga up to be very scary, yet the plotline with her, in this particular book, was just silly and I found that irritating. I hope that is not going to be the case with the Dark Man, since he's quite creepy now.

Oh and the baseball sideline story -- the authors would have made better use of that space to bring some resolution to the Dark Man plot.
Dec 24, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
I'm very happy that Fables returned to form after the disappointing Jack of Fables brought the crossover collection (#13) down to its level. This collection gives some much anticipated back story on the new baddie in town. It has all of the Fables hallmarks: solid writing, good art, a nice blend of humor and drama, and ordinary Fables rising to face the challenge at hand.
Sarah Hogman
Mar 07, 2016 Sarah Hogman rated it it was amazing
Oh Bufkin... And that short at the end!

You see, the problem with being this far along in the series is that I'm afraid that anything I say might lead to a spoiler... And I do so loath that spoiler tab...

Just... Do yourself a favour and start reading the series now. Yes! I mean you!
Kelli Fisher
3.5

I liked this one the best since it focused on the characters I actually enjoy reading about.
Derek Royal
Aug 22, 2015 Derek Royal rated it really liked it
Going back to reread almost all of the Fables issues in preparation of our special retrospective on the series: http://comicsalternative.com/episode-.... I will dearly miss this title.
  • Cinderella, Vol. 2: Fables are Forever
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 6: Safe as Houses
  • Fairest, Vol 4: Of Men and Mice
  • Northlanders, Vol. 4: The Plague Widow
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more
More about Bill Willingham...

Fables (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights [and Days]
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire

“I'm here because all fairy tales take place in the woods, King Cole, even those that don't.” 4 likes
“Baba Yaga: I've never heard of such a creature. What are his powers?
Magic Mirror: He reads. He reads everything.”
3 likes