Start by marking “Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)” as Want to Read:
Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)

Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby #8)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,062 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Ramona Quimby is back! Beverly Cleary's best-loved and most exuberant character has been winning friends since the 1950s when she made her first appearance as Beezus's pesky little sister. Now, in Cleary's first Ramona book in 15 years, our beloved spitfire is 9 years old, and she fully intends to make fourth grade the best year of her life. Even with her spelling struggle ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by HarperFestival (first published August 25th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona's World, please sign up.

Haelyn Kimberly If you ever eat peas, think of me before you sneeze. Signed, Yard Ape President.

Michelle
Jun 14, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You guys, Beverly Cleary is 98 and still alive, and I realize it's horribly selfish of me to try to take up her remaining years, but do you think we can convince her to write another Ramona book? Because I've checked that illustrator Alan Tiegreen is also still alive, so I really think this should happen.

In this last(?) Quimby adventure, we have: new baby Roberta and Ramona's interactions with her, from cleaning up rejected peas to babysitting for 15 minutes, omg; a new (girl!) best friend for R
Jen
Aug 14, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this isn't my favorite in the Ramona series, it was certainly enjoyable. Ellie and I are both very sad that we're all done with "Mona". Hopefully we can reread them in a few years time. :)
Katie Fowler
Nov 16, 2009 Katie Fowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the library this weekend I happened to discover that there was one lone Ramona book that I had not read, and I scooped it up and read the whole thing on a rainy afternoon. Beverly Cleary was 83 years old when she wrote this, but it's amazing how she could still perfectly get inside the head of a 9-year-old. Good plot, true to the series and tweaked with a few modern touches juuuust enough to be credible. Even though this came out in 1999, I didn't want Beezus to be listening to Britney Spears ...more
Amy
This is by far one of the best Ramona books. I think the difference is that there's more fun here and less real-life adult problems going on at the same time. Ramona's a little more grown up, has a best friend, has a crush, writes a letter to the editor, and gets to babysit her younger sister and a cat. This is also the one where she falls through the floor of the attic with her legs dangling through the ceiling of the dining room and where she ends up with a bad school picture when Yard Ape sug ...more
Aaliayah
Jan 27, 2012 Aaliayah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona starts the fourth grade. She thinks it will be the best year of her life. She can show off her yucky calluses. The boy who she calls Yard-Ape sits across from her and she has a big crush on him. Her teacher Mrs.Kemp loves her writing because it's creative. She has a little sister named Roberta and a bigger sister named Beatrice. Most of all she has a new best friend. She just wanted to fit in with the other students in her fourth grade class There's no one like Ramona.

My favorite part i
Catherine
Although this final Ramona book was written 15 years after the previous installment, it's much truer to the feel of the original series than Ramona Forever. It's much more Ramona-centric, with the now 4th grader meeting a new best friend, getting herself in and out of various scrapes, and finally developing a little sympathy for the super-annoying, always-perfect Susan.

Reading the series to my sons, I'm glad this was the conclusion to the series and not the book that concluded the series when I
Stacy Wines
I enjoyed this book. It took me back to memories of a simpler time when I was a child; however, as a child my overactive imagination would tend to get the best of me. This is the case with Ramona as well.

Ramona tends to exaggerate things and make them worse than what they really are. Ramona is jealous over her baby sister, envious of her older sister, and frustrated with her teacher. She feels her parents never have time for her. Cleary addresses the importance of friendship through Ramona and
Melanie
Mar 04, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona’s World Beverly Cleary

“Ramona took a deep breath. ‘I broke the ceiling. I broke the ceiling to smithereens and it’s going to cost a bazillion dollars to fix and it fell all over the dining room and made a terrible mess, so I decided not to stay for dinner.’” This quote from the book Ramona’s World by Beverly Cleary shows why I kept the pages turning.

Ten-year-old Ramona Quimby is starting fourth grade at a new school. Ramona is very excited about the new school year until something happen
Michael
Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Ramona series, reading each one of them multiple times. (I swear I still have large chunks of several of them memorized and could recite them if you want).

Years later, grown up and looking for books to share with my niece, I came back to Ramona, only to discover that Cleary had written a new novel about Ramona during my time away. Curious, I picked it up (actually did the audio version), both eager to read it and worried that series might not live up to my fon
george
Oct 04, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the last of the Ramona books. How I'll miss this pint-sized, spunky heroine. I have such fond memories of reading the Ramona books when I was a little girl. I'd never read this one since it was published when I was 21 and I wasn't quite interested in juvenile lit at the time. However, now it is so nice to be able to revisit and say goodbye to the girl who is so much like me when I was a child. Like the later Ramona books, this one didn't quite entertain me as much as the early books. Possibl ...more
Tawanda
Romona's World is an audiobook. It is a intermediate read.This book is about a girl who is looking forward to going to the fourth grade. She has a new baby sisiter, teachers are praising her writing and she has a new best friend named Daisy. Romona later finds out that the fourth grade is harder than she could imagine. She has to improve her spelling and be a role model to her little sister. Plus she is trying to live up to her older sisters reputation. She later learns that being who she is is ...more
Sanz
Mar 15, 2015 Sanz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stockard Channing does an excellent job in this audiobook. We listened to this on a recent road trip with 8, 6, 4, and 1 year old children. My rating is 2 stars because of the usage of the words "asinine" and "stupid" and then I added another star because Channing is so entertaining!

This is book #10 in my 52 book goal for this year.
Melissa
I adore Beverly Cleary and would go back to Klickitat Street anytime. This book is a bit more mature as Beezus is growing up...I'll probably have Addie wait a bit to read it.
Kristen H
I rated this book one stars because it was an ok book to read. I didn't think it was the best book. I thought the characters were funny and also the things they did. That is also why I thought it was a good book. This was a also a good book because the characters seemed real and I think that also made me like it because it could have been me in that story or someone esle in my family. Also the setting was realistic because Ramona went to school and that reminded it of me. This book did not have ...more
D E
Jul 24, 2016 D E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devon Flaherty
Jan 13, 2016 Devon Flaherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, esp. for family reading
The Ramona series by Beverly Cleary, which is, in order: Beezus and Romona, Ramona the Pest, Ramona the Brave, Ramona and Her Father, Ramona and Her Mother, Ramona Quimby Age 8, Ramona Forever, and Ramona’s World. They were published from 1955 to 1999 (!) and include two Newbery Honors and one National Book Award. We read the current HarperTrophy edition.

These books are American classics. They have been respected for years, as has Beverly Cleary, the librarian-turned-award-winning author. Ramona
Khloe Belfiore
Mar 29, 2015 Khloe Belfiore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romana is eager to start the fourth grade and is ready to take on whatever it throws at her. Just when she thinks she can do it all she is faced with a reality check that leaves her to deal with the everyday struggles of growing up. Beverly Clearly is right on target when it comes to addressing Romans life and all that she makes it out to be with such a humorous fashion.

One of the reasons i enjoyed this book so much was because it reminded me of when I was in fourth grade and the little obstacl
Becky
Mar 19, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona's World is the last book in the series. Ramona is in fourth grade now. And she's definitely got a big crush on Yard Ape. (There's been no mention at all of Henry Huggins lately or of Mary Jane for that matter.)

"Ramona Spreads the News" Ramona starts fourth grade. She's anxious to spread the news that she's a big sister. Her baby sister, Roberta, is oh-so-cute and oh-so-little. Ramona meets the new girl, Daisy, and hopes that they can become BEST friends.

"The Role Model" Does Ramona like
Jennifer Margulis
Ramona Quimby is nine years old and in fourth grade now. She's bursting with eagerness to tell her friends at school about her brand new baby sister Roberta. But though the first day of fourth grade with Mrs. Meachum is better than she expected in some ways, Ramona is not sure what she thinks of her new teacher but is sure that she hates spelling.

Ramona's older sister Beezus is in high school now, with a new best friend she talks endlessly about, lots of homework, and her first boy-girl party t
Maryam Shahriari
سری 8 جلدی کتابهای رامونا رو به پیشنهاد و برای همراهی و تشویق خواهرزادهی 10 سالهام که تازه شروع به مطالعه کرده است خوندم.
خیلی خیلی از خوندنشون لذت بردم. کتابها با اینکه در غالب داستان برای بچهها نوشته شده بود ولی در اصل روانشناسی کودک بود. بعد از خوندن این سری کتابها دیدم نسبت به دنیای بچهها و کارهایی که میکنند عوض شد. فکر میکنم از بعد از اون روابطم هم با بچهها بهتر شده. از سری کتابهایی هستند که حتما باز هم میخونمشون.
Eric Summers
Ramona is entering fourth grade where she is sure things will be great. Unfortunately, she gets into her own unique Ramona style of trouble from day one. Fortunately, she always has the support of her family and by the end of the book, Ramona has gained new perspectives, friends, and is becoming the wonderful young woman we always knew she would. It would have been great to follow Ramona all the way through middle and high school.

The only downside to this book and others in Cleary's world are th
Sarah Bruno
El Mundo de Ramona no me impresiono como e querido. Para mi Ramona es una niña con imaginación y energía, en este libro Beverly hiso Ramona una niña calmada y suficiente mayor. Yo pienso que Ramona esta creciendo demasiado rápido, quiero ese niña pequeña y imaginado. Bezus la hermana mayor de Ramona tambien esta creciendo. En el libro Beverly describe como Beezus que quiere pelo suave, y aretes, pero en los otros libros de Ramona Beezus es totalmente diferente. Si has leído los libros de Ramona ...more
Melissa Morton
Ramona, who's now a fourth-grader, struggles with her spelling, joyfully battles her old nemesis, Yard Ape, and excitedly makes her first real girl friends. Ramona believes this will be the best year yet, but things do not quite turn out the way she hoped. Her teacher wants her to work on her spelling which Ramona is not very good at. Ramona struggles with spelling and spelling bees are a fun way to practice spelling.

If I were to incorporate this book into a lesson, I would have my class create
Anne
Apr 25, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in grade school reading these books for the first time, I became disoriented when the illustrators changed, the story-lines got different, and suddenly Henry Huggins wasn't even in the background of the story. Instead, Howie Kemp and that dumb ole Willa Jean proved to be permanent features.

While I still miss Henry Huggins, this time around I was happy to look with new eyes at Ramona, putting aside my picky ideas about illustrators and a couple complaints with continuity. Although I d
Cathy Cramer
Jul 27, 2016 Cathy Cramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 5th grader was delighted to find a Ramona book we hadn't already done, and wanted me to read it after her. Drop everything else I was reading and read it. (No, that didn't happen.) But my child ended up climbing my back like a jungle gym to read the funny parts over my shoulder when I did read it.

I enjoyed the silliness. Well done.

In this book, Ramona is in 4th grade, so it's probably a little young of a read for my 5th grader. But the 5th grader could identify with a first attempt at babysit
Mandy
Apr 06, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, american, childrens
As one of Beverly Cleary's biggest fans, I had to read the last installment of the Ramona series, which was released in 1999. Oh Ramona. Still getting up to the same old hijinks. The book reminded me of just how sweet, but not precious, Ramona's world is. And does anyone besides the Quimby family say "cross" to mean angry?
Brenna
Jun 29, 2015 Brenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It was so good
Pearl
This was a book I read to my daughters when they were kids. It was a “light-hearted” childhood situation centered on being a good speller and finding her best friend. It had a very easy and simple plot. (This is a "late" posting; I did realize that I was to place a "first" review on a childhood book.)
Cristi-Lael
Jan 18, 2016 Cristi-Lael rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, own
My daughters and I have really enjoyed reading this series, and, like with all great series, we are a bit sad to see it is over. However, there are still plenty of books left to read my Beverly Cleary, so I'm sure we will be enjoying them for years to come.
Brandi
Sep 25, 2013 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this for her school book report, and I thought I'd read it too because it was one of the few Ramona books I hadn't read as a kid. Ramona was still as lovable and quirky as ever, even as a growing-up fourth grader. How can you not love Ramona?
Reading Log #14 2 11 Jan 04, 2013 05:45PM
cool 2 16 Jun 08, 2011 08:37AM
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Starting with Alice (Alice Prequels #1)
  • Anastasia Has the Answers (Anastasia Krupnik, #6)
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • Judy Moody Declares Independence (Judy Moody #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Sleeping Dog (Encyclopedia Brown, #21)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Bicycle Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #15)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked (Junie B. Jones, #23)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Still Just Grace (Just Grace, #2)
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Ramona Quimby (9 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona Quimby #7)
  • The Ramona Quimby Audio Collection

“If she can't spell, why is she a librarian? Librarians should know how to spell.” 200 likes
“Daisy picked up the large, limp cat that was almost too heavy for her. “This is Clawed,” she said. “C-l-a-w-e-d,” she spelled. “Not like a man’s name. My brother named him Clawed because he had been clawed by another cat when he found him hiding in a gutter. Daddy says he hopes Jeremy never finds a wounded skunk.” 1 likes