Spymom: The True Story of a Soccer Mom Turned Private Eye

Spymom: The True Story of a Soccer Mom Turned Private Eye

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A breast cancer diagnosis at age forty-six inspired a churchgoing suburban soccer mom to make her biggest dream come true: becoming a real-life Nancy Drew.

Until her diagnosis, few knew how passionately Val -- a lover of Nancy Drew mysteries as a child -- fantasized about becoming a hardboiled female gumshoe. Motivated by her illness to finally pursue her goal, Val opened

Published April 1st 2010 by GuidepostsBooks (first published March 28th 2010)

V.G. Grace
I have to admit: I'm a biography/autobiography junkie. There is something absolutely fascinating to me about getting into the head of a person, seeing their life and its myriad experiences shared, analyzed, and pondered upon. Throughout the many years of my exploring various memoirs, there have been some that have profoundly moved me, entertained me, and even a few that have altered my outlook on life.

With Val Agosta's amazing memoir, 'Spymom', not only has she managed to move me, entertain me,...more
Naomi
This was an interesting and inspiring memoir! It definitely made me want to jump right into life and pursue my dreams! The many aspects of private investigating were also fun to learn about. I'm glad I read it!
IrenesChristianReviews

Val Agosta didn’t let breast cancer hold her back. This book is all about her journey through the cancer while she tries to enjoy her life as a private investigator.

The stories told in the book make for a fun and quick read. The adventures and unique cases this "Spy Mom" handles would make a great family movie.

You can feel the love for life and family when you read this. Even though you know the end is not happy, as the author lose her battle with cancer, you put the book down with a smile on yo...more
Vicky
A funny, unique story about a middle-aged woman diagnosed with breast cancer who follows her fondest dream and becomes a private eye, just like her heroine, Nancy Drew.

The book outlines her cases, her partners who join her on her escapades, and her ongoing battle with the biggest criminal of all - cancer.

It is a poignant, sometimes funny, sometimes sad story that is a quick read and a good one.

Karlyne Landrum
I had no idea that the author, whom I knew, led such an exciting life! I enjoyed thoroughly the odds and ends of spymomming, even though it's not a vocation that has ever appealed to me, my own love of Nancy Drew notwithstanding! I recommend this to anyone who needs a push to discover what she wants to be when she grows up (you know, at about 50), or anyone who just wants a fun, real read.
Shelley
This book was really intriguing. It tells (at least) two stories at once, but does so in a skilled, seamless manner. I enjoyed the blend of humor, persistence, daring and common sense that characterized Val Agosta's approach to life, even when dealing with sad and scary things. I recommend it, and I would read it again.
Mandy
Good book! I loved reading what was going on in my backyard while I lived there. There's so much behind the scenes that we don't see! This is a fun story... suprise ending that I didn't LOVE, but a great book nonetheless.
Candace
This was awesome. I didn't realize it was a biography of the author until about halfway through. The end made me tear up but this book is great. I hope every mom has a chance to do something they're really passionate about
Misty
This was written by my next door neighbor. I wish I had known her better she was so fun, witty, and entertaining. She did a great job of telling her life story and battle with cancer and also covering funny spy mom experiences.
Sue
Very interesting story - I was totally unprepared for the ending. I always wanted to be a private investigator - with none of the danger aspect though. I am impressed with what she accomplished.
Jane Snyder
I enjoyed the energy and fun that Val and her friend had with their detective agency, but was surprised at their using their children for some of the assignments.
Jamie
I loved that all of these experiences take place here in Idaho. It was so fun to read and know right where they were staking out people! Recommend for anyone local!
Debbie
I think I would have given another star if it were more clear what the book was really about. I wanted a fluffy private eye book but it wasn't.
Mzzbarnes
Was very inspired by this TRUE story. Was written more like a novel making it easier to read. Loved it!
Suelibevg
I've seen this story mentioned in several publications and it's well written and engaging.
RNW
RNW added it
Jan 14, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Sep 29, 2013
Julio
Julio marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013