Everglades

Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery #10)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  980 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Doc Ford returns to his stilt house on Dinkin's Bay to find an old friend and one-time lover waiting for him. Her real estate developer husband has disappeared and been pronounced dead. She's sure there's worse to follow--and she's right. Ford follows the trail deep into the Everglades, where a shady character and his get-rich-quick scheme are about to put both of their li...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Berkley Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Everglades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everglades

Chris
Another solid and electrifying Doc Ford novel, in which our intrepid marine biologist and former assassin (although, as we have learned, not so much former) is pulled into a plot by a New Age guru, Shiva, bent on turning a huge tract of the Everglades into a casino resort. A friend and former lover, Sally Carmel, as reached out to Doc for help, since her wealthy husband's disappearance, supposed death, and she feels like her life is now in danger. Doc agrees to help her find answers, along with...more
Joyce
Doc is out of shape and drinking too much. Tomlinson is Tomlinson. A woman Doc knew years earlier shows up at his house and tells him that her husband disappeared off a boat in the Atlantic and she would like proof of his death. She has hired a PI to investigate. She also tells him that her husband was involved with a charismatic Guru who is attempting to purchase a large section of the Everglades and join in with two different groups of Native Americans to open a huge Casino operation. That is...more
Jonathan
I read the first half of this book over the course of two months while working a very physically demanding job outdoors in the summer. I then finished the second half in a little less than two weeks after the job was finished. This skews my perspective. Was the ending really that good? Maybe. The pace definitely picked up as the book went along.

Here's one thing I can say with absolute confidence about this book: It has a very strong storyline. From the start, you can tell it is all leading to a...more
Chris Bauer
In my continuing quest to finish all the Doc Ford books by January, I just finished the tenth book in the series, "Everglades" and was impressed all around.

There are many things to comment on;

- Characters are rock solid, major and minor.
- Attention to detail is exquisite.
- Plot is completely awesome within the genre.
- The complexity of Doc Ford is always peeled away in a satisfactory manner.
- There was not overmuch guesswork in the book; but it was deeply satisfying.
- Randy Wayne White proves ye...more
Tom Long
Another solid product from RWW. Ambiance of life in a marina living in a stilt house. Check. People underestimating the mild-mannered scientist. Check. Damsel in distress. Check. Eccentric side kick. Check. Suspense and action. Check and check. Also typical for RWW is an occasional dip into puerile overly descriptive sexual situations. This is only a tiny fraction of the book. I just really enjoy it when an author gives me credit for my own imagination and eschews that kind of excess. RWW deftly...more
Dawn Reilley
The best parts were about the natural history and original residents of Florida. The author mentioned Cassadaga and mediums, so I had to research the town, which seems to be quite an interesting place.
Ace
Doc Ford and Tomlinson are called into action when an old friend's husband falls off a boat and is presumed dead. But, the wife has doubts and does his life insurance company and so the tale begins. I enjoyed this from beginning to end.
Drew Danko
Enjoyed getting to know Dr. Ford and Tomlinson better. The author also employs the most imaginative ways of knocking off the bad guys. Fun read.
Rich

New age spiritualism and unrealistic airboat rides ( two panthers & a boat flippin' gator ) are not my cup of tea.
Richard Katz
Another fun, somewhat improbably Doc Ford novel. This one pairs Doc with the unbelievably likeable Tomlinson as they combat evil in the form of a corrupt would-be swami and his second, a former Mossad member. I am able to wave away the improbabability of it all and enjoy good plotting, terrific characters, and the fascinating backdrop of South Florida. Backdrop is too passive, for in White's tales, Florida has a pulse and a part to play.
Jack
one of Randy Whites earlier books in the Doc Ford series, in this novel he and an eclectic crew of odd ball friends start by searching for the swamp monster that inhabits the Everglades. An old girlfriend reappears and the crew ends up investigating her husbands disappearance, and the cult that he was involved with. Their are enough plot twists to keep you turning the pages with a ferver.
David Ward
Everglades by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2003)(Fiction - Mystery) is another installment in the Doc Ford mystery series which is set in South Florida. This tale features a real estate developer who has gotten involved with a mysterious religious guru. My rating: 6/10; finished 8/7/12.
This is also a top pick in the Doc Ford series. The historical information is particularly interesting in this one. I grew up in Florida and I still learn things about the state with each new RWW book. This really is an outstanding series - for newbies - start at the beginning (Sanibel Flats)!
Sherry
This was my first Randy Wayne White novel. I read it while I was in Florida, so I almost felt I was in the middle of his scenes at time. The action scenes were well written, but I didn't get caught up in them or in the story itself. An "okay" book, but far from being one of my favorites.
Judy
Second of two "Doc Ford" books by Randy White we picked up on Sanibel Island - other one was DEAD OF NIGHT. EVERGLADES was written in 2004 - a few years before DEAD OF NIGHT. I enjoyed EVERGLADES much more - same action and adventure but better storyline. Fun recreational read.
Patrick
Thrilling Ride with a chilling plot and superb climax....What a rush...For those who enjoy the sunshine state and Everglades step right up and take a walk on this wild side....real page turner with colorful characters, heroes, and villains...
Teresa
This author really knows how to depict Florida in all it's splendor, glory, and humanity. I know that I read the stories out of order, and sometimes years after they've been published, but I enjoy every single one of them uniquely.
Sandy
Good story but lots of detail. If you are interested in Florida history it would be enjoyable. Much history and background info. Not my favorite Florida author. Will probably not read another.
Mary Newcomb
Doc Ford has come to a crossroads in this tale. While it did not jump the shark, he was bumped by one—interesting symbolism. I wonder if the newly focused Doc will be as intriguing?
Dan
A light and entertaining read. Makes me want to be in SW Florida. Glad to see Randy Wayne White back on track with the Doc Ford novels.
Danielle
If you like James Patterson type stuff, this guy is really good... this was the first of his books I read and definitely the best.
Pat
A cult leader moves into the everglades and wants to buy up Indian land in order to build a casino. Dick Hill's reading is always good.
Kevin Beck
My first Doc Ford book. Very interesting characters and a great deal of historical information about Florida.
Tara
Doc Ford's childhood friend's husband goes missing after he falls in witha cult that wants to develop the Everglades.
Christina
Had a bit of hard time getting into it but overall a satisfying read.

Would like to read other books in the series.
Dariosk
when characters are just an excuse to move the plot
it's very hard to care about what happens to them
Dad
Typical Doc. Ford novel. The Everglades and cult religion were the focus topics for this book
Stacey Hewitt tomblin
Better than I expected. Love that its set in south Florida! Would read more books in this series.
Kelly
So far not a book in this series has disappointed. Still this is one of the better.
Sandy
Great summer reading. Love the added geology, history, and spiritual lessons!
  • Key West Connection
  • The Mango Opera
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Trap Line
  • A Purple Place for Dying (Travis McGee #3)
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan, #2)
  • Burning Angel (Dave Robicheaux, #8)
  • Fatal Error (Repairman Jack, #14)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands