Start by marking “Still Procrastinating: The No Regrets Guide to Getting It Done” as Want to Read:
Still Procrastinating: The No Regrets Guide to Getting It Done

Still Procrastinating: The No Regrets Guide to Getting It Done

Find out why you put things off-and learn to conquer procrastination for good!

"What if I make a bad decision?" "What if I fail?" "I'm better under pressure." There are all sorts of reasons people procrastinate. What are yours? This book draws on scientific research on procrastination conducted over more than twenty years by the author and his colleagues, to help you learn
Published September 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published August 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Still Procrastinating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Procrastinating

Londonmabel Mabel
I just read this book and Sapadin's It's About Time.

Ferrari cites a TON of studies on the subject, but the whole book just ends up being one long reason to procrastinate. I was reading about procrastinating when I needed to-the-point information on what to do about it.

When I finally get to his what-to-do tips they were typical tips like you find in any "how to get organized" book. Once in awhile he'd drop a more intriguing bit of information, or cite a more interesting study, but he wouldn't del
Andrea
May 01, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed. Went for this 'cos i thought the academic profile of the author maybe give it a bit more credibility for a self-help book.

Found it to be far too laden with statistics, accompanied by shallow analysis to hold interest from a more academic stance, and had absolutely no action plan to be worthwhile from self-help perspective.

Gave some pieces of advice - basically do the most difficult tasks first, focus on getting started, do smaller amounts, more frequently, and start earlier. Minim
Iyanna
Jul 30, 2015 Iyanna rated it it was amazing
I saw a lot of reviews on Amazon saying this book was not helpful, so I googled the author, read an interview with him and was intrigued. (A lesson in making up your own mind folks.) I purchased it and found it to be like no other on the subject thus far. As a chronic procrastinator, I've been through dozens of books on the subject. Something told me to finish this book, that it was vital. I realized that now I might be ready to really tackle my procrastination, having made the declaration to ...more
Dec 26, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-improvement
Advice was not helpful. It basically says if you are a procrastinator, you would be much happier if you just stopped doing it. It gave lots of reasons why people procrastinate but no truly helpful advice other than...just cut it out and stop procrastinating. The only thing this book did was help me procrastinate even more on a project I was avoiding because I stopped the project to read this useless book!
Jessica
Aug 30, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Is it read? Maybe a little of it is. I'm procrastinating reading the rest of it.
Nura Yusof
Aug 08, 2011 Nura Yusof rated it it was ok
The book reveals more about the psyche of a procrastinator, some information to be quite unexpected, surprising.

But whilst many would complain (as in other reviews elsewhere) of how constructive solutions are woefully absent from this book, I think they, the reviewers (whom I suspect to be procrastinators as I am) are purposely overlooking the most constructive solution there ever was for any procrastinator.....""just do it, NOW""

The book quotes many of the author's academic contributions which
earthy
Mar 04, 2012 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Reads very much like an academic writer who doesn't have much of an idea of how to write for a general audience. However, the studies he focuses on are interesting, even if in the end he really has nothing new to say about beating procrastination--just the same old Set Small Goals, Find Emotional Support, Retrain Your Thought Process sort of advice. Probably would've worked better as a more academic book on the subject focusing entirely on the studies and results.
Arrica Lee
Jun 17, 2011 Arrica Lee rated it liked it
It started off a little confusing but solid towards the end. In my humble opinion, about 30% of the book could have been omitted as they are not really related to procrastination. But that's just what I think really. I like that Joseph R. Ferrari provides guidance and tips for both work person and students. And the quotes at the chapter cover pages are simply inspiring and motivational. Some of the tips were mentioned twice or more to emphasize its importance.
Alexander
Sep 03, 2015 Alexander rated it liked it
An interesting (albeit somewhat boring) survey of current research on the subject of procrastination (disclaimer: the majority of research quoted had been performed by the author). I didn't find anything eye-opening in this book, but it was still interesting. As a seasoned procrastinator I do know all the "recipes" and this book doesn't offer any, focusing more on "what" and "why."
Jaba Adams
Apr 12, 2016 Jaba Adams rated it liked it
Interesting survey of the academic literature, but a bit dated. Some observations and tips resonated, while others felt wildly off the mark. Author has a strange fixation on getting Christmas shopping done early. Overall, a useful read with a couple of "aha" moments. Definitely light on specific tips, but the author acknowledges this.
K
May 01, 2011 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good points smothered in poor prose. Tone comes across as bossy and judgmental. I'm tempted to edit this book myself and send it to the author as his current production editor did him a disservice. Highly unfortunate.
Ashley
Jan 25, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Good book, it has a lot of tips to apply to your life. Some were just common sense behavior change things. I ended up using reading the book to procrastinate rather than applying the tips! However, its worth a read and several revisits, if its a problem for you.
Gail Monds
Mar 03, 2014 Gail Monds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. One of the best things is that it really got me thinking about the root causes of procrastination. I also like the references. It has led to more discoveries on how to change my procrastinating ways.
Jessica
May 13, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I've read a LOT of books on procrastination. This and Tim Pychyl's book are the only ones that use actual psychological studies. I learned a lot of interesting things from this short book, when I would have sworn I already knew everything about the subject.
Josh
Jan 17, 2015 Josh rated it it was ok
Some insights. Not clear for me what to try doing. It didn't speak to me; perhaps I do not procrastinate but merely am lazy/efficient a delaying/delegating.
Anthony
Dec 29, 2012 Anthony rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody who leads a team
Many very good tips can be found in this book. Most importantly it explains why we procrastinate... Very interesting.
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Brian Grinter
Brian Grinter rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Shelly Rowley
Shelly Rowley rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Eralee
Eralee rated it really liked it
May 22, 2011
Fullfaun
Dec 22, 2014 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
this is written for people who want to know the Psychological why behind the "not-doing".
Fadzil
Fadzil rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
isabelle  garnier
isabelle garnier rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Jenni Pertuset
Jenni Pertuset rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2011
Yigit Cakar
Yigit Cakar rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
RGS
RGS rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Noukka Signe
Noukka Signe rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Time Management Success Made Simple
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • Smile
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
  • Adam's Return: The Five Promises of Male Initiation
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • The Thinking Life: How to Thrive in the Age of Distraction
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • It's All Too Much Workbook: The Tools You Need to Conquer Clutter and Create the Life You Want
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • Gestatten: Elite
  • Fragebogen
  • Willful Blindness: Why We Ignore the Obvious at Our Peril
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • How to Live in a Car, Van or RV--And Get Out of Debt, Travel and Find True Freedom
Joe Ferrari is a professor of psychology who began his career in 1980 teaching at a private junior college back in the New York area. He joined the faculty at DePaul in 1994 as a Visiting Assistant Professor, and was hired as an Associate Professor without tenure in 1998. He was awarded Full Professor status in 2003 and became a member of the Society in 2006.

Joe is the Director of the MS in Genera
More about Joseph R. Ferrari...