Start by marking “Correcting the Landscape” as Want to Read:
Correcting the Landscape

Correcting the Landscape

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The editor of a small weekly newspaper in Fairbanks, Alaska, Gus Traynor is an independent spirit whose idealism has survived numerous tests. When big business interests threaten the breathtaking wilderness he cherishes, he joins forces with his best friend—an often self-serving developer—to take on the forces of progress. Soon, in his determination to preserve the dignity ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Correcting the Landscape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Correcting the Landscape

nomadreader (Carrie D-L)
originally published at http://nomadreader.blogspot.com

The backstory: Correcting the Landscape won the Bellwether Prize in 2004.

The basics: In Fairbanks, Alaska, Gus runs a newspaper struggling financially, both for the familiar reasons and because of the local advertisers, who increasingly take issue with the paper's political views and are pulling their financial support.

My thoughts: I majored in journalism in college, and I have a fascination with stories about journalists. I'm also fascinate
Shelley
'Correcting the Landscape' was one of the books I purchased with my new philosophy on buying book... read those which win awards. :)

The cover of this book is a beautiful images of a snow-capped mountain range mirrored in a lake. However on closer inspection of the image, you find that the whole image is actually upside down. This is representative of what I learned from the story: that sometimes the world you look at every day without question is actually upside down from how it should be. :)

I
Lisa
This book was more about the death of a small community paper than about the investigation of a girl's death. The storyline meandered and for the first half of the book seemed to be going nowhere. The dialog was difficult at times since the characters didn't really have their own voices and was not made any less confusing by one of the characters having the nickname of "No", which seemed to often occur at the beginning of sentences. The main character even notes that No herself mistakenly though ...more
Shonna Froebel
Winner of the Bellwether Prize for Fiction
Set in Alaska, newspaper editor, environmental issues, ethical issues.
Extremely well written.
Eric
Came across this book while weeding the fiction collection in the library where I work. Cover blurbs made me want to give it a shot. The strength of the narrator's voice and a sense of the fabric of the community in Fairbanks, Alaska were very enjoyable. I also liked the exploration of success/failure, intimacy, family ties, and sense of place.
Virginia
A fun read mystery of an idealistic small newspaper editor as he navigates life through his friend an at times self serving developer and an unlikely indigenous woman facing life after 4 failed marriages.

Set in Fairbanks which certainly gave a flavor for the town as it is lived todayl
Cheryl

Simple yet effective execution of what could have been an droll and wanky plot. That's all. (Writing this while hearing Michelle Obama's emotional and inspiring speech}... Go Obama!

P.S. I'm looking for more Kowalski Cole.
Laine Cunningham
I thought this book was better than many of the one- and two-star reviews note. It is about a man's struggle to find himself, really, and to find his own heart. All of the other things that were used to market this book--the touches of native culture and lifeways, the environmental issues, and even the death of the woman--all feed back into this primary concern.
I feel this utilization of these various threads to enhance and expand the character and to both position him for a change and to push
Jasna
I picked up this book thinking that it was an Erin Brokovich-type struggle about a lone journalist taking on big business in trying to defend the land. Instead, the book turned out to have a stretched out plot involving an independent newspaper editor/publisher who struggles to keep his paper afloat. That's part of the book and the other part focuses on relationships - to friends, co-workers, and a lover. All in all this turned out to be a mediocre read. The use of language isn't spectacular and ...more
Venessa
This novel won the Bellwether Prize, which recognizes works of fiction that have a political or environmental statement within them and is the first novel by Cole, as Alaskan writing about Alaskans. An editor of the local small paper finds himself in financial difficulties, falling in love, losing his paper, and torn between ethics and friendship in this slim tome which somehow manages to cover a lot of ground within it's pages.
Theresa
Another Bellwether award winner. This one was very different from the others in that the main character is a man. It takes place in Alaska which is a new literary setting for me. It is the story of a an independent newspaper editor who is trying to keep his weekly newspaper afloat while opposing big business interests and trying to preserve the Alaskan wilderness and the quality of life for the Native population.
Kae Cheatham
Novel set in 1980s Alaska. Gus Traynor publishes a weekly newspaper in Fairbanks. The book was "quiet" and touched on some environmental and Alaskan Native issues. It seemed a good portrayal of Alaskan seasons. Competent writing, yet I wasn't overwhelmed with interest and I had to force myself to finish it. I love the title and its tie-in to the story!
Donna
This book was a winner of the Bellwether Prize for fiction for 2004. At 228 pages, I considered it a novella that didn't go into a lot of depth for many of the characters or the community. I liked the protagonist's sense of humor.
Beth
not my regular type of book, but I enjoyed it more than I expected. Present day Alaska, people and places were very interesting, well written. I was given the autographed copy by Doug, so I gave it a try, and didn't regret it.
Fritz
surprising, but clumsy book about damage, pain, and survival. i also have a soft spot for novels about contemporary country life in strip mall america.
Darci
I liked the straight style and the subtleties of the romances, but I'm not sure if I got the point as she meant it.
Lisa
I always seem to enjoy a book even more so when it is set in a location I am familiar with.
Lynn
I was a bit disappointed in this story> I can't put my finger on the reason.
Beth
This was ok. Interesting ending but it plodded along.
Allison
Bellwether Prize for Fiction
Kirsten Winter
Kirsten Winter marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
B J
B J marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kendra Johnson
Kendra Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Spell on the Water The City Beneath the Snow: Stories Inside, Outside, Morningside: Poems The City Beneath the Snow: Stories (The Alaska Literary Series) The City Beneath the Snow