Start by marking “Waterfall (River of Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waterfall (River of Time, #1)

Waterfall (River of Time #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,305 Ratings  ·  1,731 Reviews
What do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives among the romantic hills with their archaelogist parents. Stuck among the rubble of the medieval castles in rural Tuscany, on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Ga
Published February 1st 2011 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Waterfall, please sign up.

Marie Have you tried a library? Because downloading books is illegal, not to mention a dick move.
Musicinto The read is perfect for both Christians and non-Christians. Not preachy at all. It mentions God from the main character's perspective and in that age…moreThe read is perfect for both Christians and non-Christians. Not preachy at all. It mentions God from the main character's perspective and in that age many people were Christians. But if you're wanting something full of adventure, romance, excitement, and some mystery but nothing preachy, this read is for you(less)

Tara
Oct 11, 2015 Tara rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Little girls with big dreams.

DNF. This has to go down as one of the silliest, if not the silliest novel ever written in the history of YA fiction. Our 17 year old heroine finds herself in midst of a medieval battle after traveling back in time and what does she do?? She falls crazy in LUST with the first guy she sets eyes on. "I was in the middle of a real battle. Men were wounded or dying. I glanced left and saw that one wasn't battling any longer; instead he stared at me as if I were a female Lazarus. I wanted to look aw

Nic
For those who like a visual ~ Marcello http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

My Favourite Quote: We froze. Neither of us moving, simply staring at each other if the other was going to move first.
"You are," he whispered, "uncommonly stirring."
He closed his eyes then, as if he had to in order to break the bond between us, then lifted me to the saddle and stare at the ground as he guided my feet into the stirrups.

AWESOME! I am not usually a fan of anything that slightly resembles historical fict
Amber
Love this book!!!! This was the "Total Package" for me. There wasn't an ounce of anything missing! I'm a sucker for a good history/action/adventure/romance book, but this far exceeded my expectations! I couldn't put this one down, loved every bit of it!

The story is about two sisters who travel to Italy every summer due to their mom and late father's love of archeology. The Betarrini sisters search a tomb in which they were not supposed to enter and find handprints on the wall. As they both place
Katie
Aug 24, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: favorites
The cover of this book drew me in first, and reading about the book thoroughly intrigued me. It sounded like a really neat, adventurous read. But I was slightly wrong in my assumptions. It wasn't just a neat read--it was an AWESOME read!

It had everything a reader could want in a medieval adventure: battles, sword fights, balls, adventure, peril, humor, suspense, mystery, romance...everything! To put it simply--I was completely wowed by this book. The River of Time series ranks right up there wi
Keertana
May 24, 2012 Keertana rated it liked it
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Waterfall is probably one of the most misguided books to have ever been marketed. The title Waterfall implies that there will be at least a mention of a waterfall throughout the book. Let me tell you now, there isn’t! The cover of this book is gorgeously deceptive and seems to portray a girl going through a gateway of some kind. I’ll spoil something for you again: there’s no gateway. The synopsis of Waterfall will tell you that this is an adventure novel about time-travel – wr
Lady Haley *City Girl Appearance~Country Girl Heart*
Many of my friends recommended this book to me but I still didn't read it. This book was on my want to read shelf for a long time. When I think of it now, it was on that shelf for too long. I finally decided to pick it up. Luckily I was in for a long car ride. To be exact a seven hour car ride. I couldn't put out down once I started it. Now I would say that this is one of my favorite books/series. I would recommend this to anyone! I loved every part of it. I honestly can't think of one part that ...more
Noelle
I found some of the circumstances a liiiiiittle convenient (oh, you're sent back in time to medieval Italy? Good thing your pops taught you ancient Italian and sword fighting!) and would have liked a bit more of a culture shock (no plumbing! females with opinions!) but nevertheless thought this had likeable characters and an entertaining story. Think sweeping romantic adventure. Also: Italian boys. Always relevant to my interests.

Nafiza
Aug 16, 2011 Nafiza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
So I was skeptical when someone told me I would like Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren. It just didn't seem to be my thing. I mean, the premise was good enough but honestly, it didn't seem to be something I would be interested in. However, since Amazon was offering a free copy, I decided to read it anyway. I mean, I should only make up my mind about its worthiness once I had sampled a few chapters for myself, right? So, no one was more surprised than I when I tore through the book and finished it i ...more
Colleen Houck
If you are in the mood for some knight in shining armor meets YA then this is the series for you. Three words to describe it...smart, surprising, & sweet.

Lisa Bergren participated in the YA scavenger hunt with me and I was so excited to get her book. Looking forward to picking up the next one! My favorite part is when the two sisters picked up weapons and started fighting alongside the men. Love to see a gutsy heroine!
Ronie
Oct 31, 2010 Ronie rated it really liked it
As a mother of two teens and two preteens, I found Waterfall to be a fun but clean foray into the young adult genre for Lisa T. Bergren, who handled it with a grace and style all her own. Gabriella Betarrini yanked me out of my time and into a harrowing adventure as she battled knights—and love! I heartily enjoyed Gabriella’s travel back into time,and I heartily look forward to Cascade, River of Time #2!
Hannah Rodes
Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Gabriella is bracing herself for a boring summer with her mom and sister in the secluded hills of Italy. But when her and her sister sneak into a tomb and place their hands on handprints on the tomb’s walls, they are transported to fourteenth century Italy. Right in the middle of a war between the two kingdoms!

I was a little nervous to pick this up, because I heard it was a rather violent and more of a romance book. But I was quickly swept away with the book and f
Kelvey
May 01, 2015 Kelvey rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun! This was my first experience with time-travel in the story, and I loved it. Bergren did a good job portraying what a teenage girl from the 21st century would feel like after being transported to the 13th century.

Some of the characters felt one-dimensional to me. Especially the main love-interest, Marcello. All I could tell you about him were what kind of situations he was in, and not much about his character in the situations. And that he was very “Hollister model” at
Brodie
Mar 16, 2011 Brodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2011
You know those books that make you lose all sense of reality and you literally fall into the pages? And you feel such a huge disappointment when the story comes to an end because you don't want to resurface? Waterfall is exactly that. It is such a thoroughly engaging read! I loved everything about it - the 14th century setting, the characters, the plot, even the language. I caught myself slipping their dialect into my own thoughts so many times.

Sisters, Gabriella and Lia Betarrini find themselve
Rachel
Jun 16, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm in love with this book!! Ah!
Panda Incognito
To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln: "For people who like this kind of thing, it's the kind of thing they'd like."

This book was not completely awful. Though I did not like it, I understand why others might. Some of the more believable plot elements are interesting, I just couldn't get past the bad writing, awful romance, stick-figure characters, and overall poor quality.

I'm not saying that no one should read it, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Here are some of my biggest complaints:

Many of the plot elem
Lucia
May 19, 2011 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Read the review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Okay, I admit it. I don't like writing reviews. It's kind of like homework. I'm still in school, so having homework on top of homework kind of turns me away. However, it doesn't stop me from reading or blogging. That being said, I think this was the first time I've ever been excited to write a review. Why? Because I want to spread the word about how wonderful this book was, and tell all of you to read it.

I was instantly hooked right after the first
Olivia
Feb 20, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
AKDNHFKTJTK, This book. THIS BOOK.

So, first off, I am so so so glad I finally picked this book up! Omiword, it was so good! I loved the plot. It was so original and cool! The characters were awesome, Gabriella was a little annoying at some parts, but she was transported to a different time sooo...it's kind of understandable. aksrnjt, I need Cascade now, like, his minute.

final verdict: clean (some kissing and a man was going to rape the main character(he doesn't))
Sophia Sardothien
Jan 10, 2015 Sophia Sardothien rated it liked it
Well umm I like this book but I didn't love it, through the entire 300+ pages nothing really happened xD there were some points that seemingly drag on forever. I like the protagonist but I really hate her sister. THAT SIS GOD I wanna throw a punch on her darn face. But overall it was an interesting read but not captivating.
Erin
Follow all my reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Fair warning folks, I’m in the minority on this one so try to keep an open mind. My feelings won’t be hurt if you disagree with me, but I’d hate to think of my word being gospel as most readers seem to really enjoy this series.

Bergren’s prose is alright, but I personally found it rather immature and while I’m not part of the target age group for this novel, I can’t help feeling my sixth grade-self would have groaned over the verb
Small Review
Can you say *SWOON*?

I’m trying to hold back the OMG squeeeeeees here, but it’s kinda hard. You see in the description where it mentions Italian hotties? Notice how it’s plural? Oh wow is it plural! There are three guys in this book that I would risk plague and travel back in time for. Yet, delightfully, there isn’t any annoying love triangle. The main character loves her guy and sees the other two as good friends (which means I can have them then, right?)

Ah, they’re physically attractive, but th
Katie
Originally, I wasn't drawn to this book. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the cover that I'm not a huge fan of. Maybe it was the fact that David C. Cook usually publishes nonfiction books like Francis Chan's Crazy Love and Forgotten God (which are both incredible, by the way!), so I wasn't sure what to expect from a YA time travel book released by them. Whatever the reason, I can't believe it held me back from such an amazing story! This is the epitome of readability, with tons of action, pretty k ...more
Sheena
May 06, 2016 Sheena rated it did not like it

Warning: very long review with spoilers.

I do not understand how this book has such high reviews. People truly do have different tastes.

This book is about two teens -17 yr. Gabi and 15 yr. old Lia - who spend their summer vacations hiking along excavation sites with their archaeologist parents. One day on a sudden bout of boredom, they decide to explore their mother's newly found archaeological tombsite. They end up time-travelling to an ancient life of medieval Italy where they are caught up
Leah/Elle/Ella (details about name in "about me")
4.5 stars (changed to 5)

I really liked this book! It is definitely one of my favorite books now! I removed half a star because of some things I didn't like, but overall, this is definitely a must-read!

Clean rating: No swearing. Some violence, including swordfights that involve people getting killed.

UPDATE: 3 days later and I can't stop thinking about this book, and how I can't wait to read Cascade! I realized this is now a favorite, and I just have to update the rating to 5 stars. I love this bo
Marklessgirl
Mar 21, 2015 Marklessgirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-books
I loved this book. The only reason I'm taking off a star is because some of the be pot twists and things I found predictable and this book grossed me out a little bit, I may change it to 5 stars later on because I am going back and forth on it.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
**Note to younger readers: This book nor this series is recommend for girls under the age of 14. This review has Sexual hints and mentions from this book. So in other words, don’t read this review, due to it not being clean.**

About this book:

“Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one.
Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved … and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know—and love itself.
Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sister
Abbi
Sep 01, 2014 Abbi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
Review originally posted on my blog Christian Novels

Ok so it's been a little while since I read this, but I'm finally posting my review!

My Thoughts
WOW! What a great book! Honestly this has to be one of my favorite stories ever. I'm normally not into the whole time travel thing, but my sister told me it was really good so I figured I'd give it try. And am I glad I did! This book literally has it all, romance, intrigue, battles, humor, and not least of all great heroes and heroines.

Book Descriptio
Cindy
I loved this story it was so much fun, and a great romance. It starts of with Gabi and Lia in Italy with there mother who is an archaeologist. They unexpectedly find themselves in the 1300's. And the adventure and romance begins. Gabi and her love interest were great the banter and one liners were so fun. My favorite quote was "You are , he whispered, uncommonly stirring." and one more was,," He was the most handsome guy I'd ever seen, with a model's physique and a face to match. Big, chocolate- ...more
Melanie
Sep 11, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
'Waterfall' is the first book in 'The River of Time Series' and the first book that I've read by Lisa T. Bergren.

Since Gabi and Lia spend every summer in Italy, they find themselves bored at yet another archaeologist site. But when Gabi and her sister place their hand on a set of hand prints in an ancient tomb Gabi finds herself transported to another time...Literally! Fourteenth-century Italy during a battle between knights.

Gabi finds herself having to adjust to this strange and dated way of li
Halee
Apr 05, 2016 Halee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves sci-fic, fantasy, the middle ages or romance!!
Oh my stinkin goodness. This book totally needs more than 5 stars.

{Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one.

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. In Book One of the River of Time series, Gabi and Lia are stuck
Sheri Salatin
Sep 01, 2011 Sheri Salatin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheri by: Katie McCurdy
Shelves: favorites
I didn't plan on reading this book in one sitting but once I started it I couldn't even begin to put it down. WOW! What an amazing story. This is saying a lot for me because it had two things against it when I started.

Number one - I'm not a big fan of Youth Fiction

Number two - I rarely like or enjoy stories written in first person.

I think I'm going to have to stop saying that after reading this novel. The writing was absolutely AMAZING. Bergren really knows how to draw her reader in.

I had heard
River of Time Tribe: River of Time TV series! 11 30 Dec 21, 2015 10:53AM
River of Time Tribe: Waterfall 28 44 Jul 15, 2015 11:28AM
Clean YA Girl's B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Waterfall 32 25 Jul 07, 2015 02:46PM
Christian YA Readers: April/May: Waterfall by Lisa Bergren 9 19 May 13, 2015 08:34AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Nov 21, 2014 08:15AM
Christian Fiction...: Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren - October 4th 25 39 Oct 29, 2014 08:09AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:59PM
  • She Owns the Knight
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • Prophet (Books of the Infinite, #1)
  • The Commander's Desire
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • By the Light of the Silvery Moon
  • Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1)
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
  • Queen in Exile
  • My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #1)
  • To Win Her Heart
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • Surrender the Heart (Surrender to Destiny, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3)
  • The Book of the King (The Wormling, #1)
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 40 books, with more than 2.5 million copies sold. She recently finished a teen series called Remnants (SEASON OF WONDER, SEASON OF FIRE, and SEASON OF GLORY). She's also written the River of Time Series (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT, BOURNE & TRIBUTARY, DELUGE) and The Grand Tour Series (GLAMOROUS ILLUSIONS, GRAVE CONSEQUE
More about Lisa Tawn Bergren...

River of Time (5 books)
  • Cascade (River of Time, #2)
  • Torrent (River of Time, #3)
  • Bourne & Tributary (River of Time, #3.1 & #3.2)
  • Deluge (River of Time, #4)

11 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision that something is more important than fear.” 209 likes
“Sometimes the heart tells us to venture where the mind fears to tread.” 103 likes