Start by marking “Waterfall (River of Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waterfall (River of Time, #1)

Waterfall (River of Time #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  11,778 ratings  ·  1,465 reviews
What do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives among the romantic hills with their archaelogist parents. Stuck among the rubble of the medieval castles in rural Tuscany, on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Ga
Published February 1st 2011 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Waterfall, please sign up.

Niki It was free about a year ago through Amazon... But now with her (author) new books following it is back to $$. If you have a local library, check them…moreIt was free about a year ago through Amazon... But now with her (author) new books following it is back to $$. If you have a local library, check them out my library has it in audio and in ebook edition :)(less)

Tara
May 21, 2012 Tara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Little girls with big dreams.

DNF. This has to go down as one of the silliest, if not the silliest novel ever written in the history of YA fiction! Our 17 year old heroine finds herself in midst of a medieval battle after travelling back in time and what does she do?? She falls crazy in LUST with the first guy she sets eyes on. "I was in the middle of a real battle. Men were wounded or dying. I glanced left and saw that one wasn't battling any longer; instead he stared at me as if I were a female Lazarus. I wanted to look a

Nic
For those who like a visual ~ Marcello http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

My Favourite Quote: We froze. Neither of us moving, simply staring at each other if the other was going to move first.
"You are," he whispered, "uncommonly stirring."
He closed his eyes then, as if he had to in order to break the bond between us, then lifted me to the saddle and stare at the ground as he guided my feet into the stirrups.

AWESOME! I am not usually a fan of anything that slightly resembles historical fict
Amber
Love this book!!!! This was the "Total Package" for me. There wasn't an ounce of anything missing! I'm a sucker for a good history/action/adventure/romance book, but this far exceeded my expectations! I couldn't put this one down, loved every bit of it!

The story is about two sisters who travel to Italy every summer due to their mom and late father's love of archeology. The Betarrini sisters search a tomb in which they were not supposed to enter and find handprints on the wall. As they both place
Katie
Aug 24, 2011 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: favorites
The cover of this book drew me in first, and reading about the book thoroughly intrigued me. It sounded like a really neat, adventurous read. But I was slightly wrong in my assumptions. It wasn't just a neat read--it was an AWESOME read!

It had everything a reader could want in a medieval adventure: battles, sword fights, balls, adventure, peril, humor, suspense, mystery, romance...everything! To put it simply--I was completely wowed by this book. The River of Time series ranks right up there wi
Keertana
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Waterfall is probably one of the most misguided books to have ever been marketed. The title Waterfall implies that there will be at least a mention of a waterfall throughout the book. Let me tell you now, there isn’t! The cover of this book is gorgeously deceptive and seems to portray a girl going through a gateway of some kind. I’ll spoil something for you again: there’s no gateway. The synopsis of Waterfall will tell you that this is an adventure novel about time-travel – wr
Noelle
I found some of the circumstances a liiiiiittle convenient (oh, you're sent back in time to medieval Italy? Good thing your pops taught you ancient Italian and sword fighting!) and would have liked a bit more of a culture shock (no plumbing! females with opinions!) but nevertheless thought this had likeable characters and an entertaining story. Think sweeping romantic adventure. Also: Italian boys. Always relevant to my interests.

Nafiza
Aug 16, 2011 Nafiza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
So I was skeptical when someone told me I would like Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren. It just didn't seem to be my thing. I mean, the premise was good enough but honestly, it didn't seem to be something I would be interested in. However, since Amazon was offering a free copy, I decided to read it anyway. I mean, I should only make up my mind about its worthiness once I had sampled a few chapters for myself, right? So, no one was more surprised than I when I tore through the book and finished it i ...more
Brodie
You know those books that make you lose all sense of reality and you literally fall into the pages? And you feel such a huge disappointment when the story comes to an end because you don't want to resurface? Waterfall is exactly that. It is such a thoroughly engaging read! I loved everything about it - the 14th century setting, the characters, the plot, even the language. I caught myself slipping their dialect into my own thoughts so many times.

Sisters, Gabriella and Lia Betarrini find themselve
Lucia
Read the review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Okay, I admit it. I don't like writing reviews. It's kind of like homework. I'm still in school, so having homework on top of homework kind of turns me away. However, it doesn't stop me from reading or blogging. That being said, I think this was the first time I've ever been excited to write a review. Why? Because I want to spread the word about how wonderful this book was, and tell all of you to read it.

I was instantly hooked right after the first
Sophia Sardothien
Well umm I like this book but I didn't love it, through the entire 300+ pages nothing really happened xD there were some points that seemingly drag on forever. I like the protagonist but I really hate her sister. THAT SIS GOD I wanna throw a punch on her darn face. But overall it was an interesting read but not captivating.
Erin
Follow all my reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Fair warning folks, I’m in the minority on this one so try to keep an open mind. My feelings won’t be hurt if you disagree with me, but I’d hate to think of my word being gospel as most readers seem to really enjoy this series.

Bergren’s prose is alright, but I personally found it rather immature and while I’m not part of the target age group for this novel, I can’t help feeling my sixth grade-self would have groaned over the verb
Colleen Houck
If you are in the mood for some knight in shining armor meets YA then this is the series for you. Three words to describe it...smart, surprising, & sweet.

Lisa Bergren participated in the YA scavenger hunt with me and I was so excited to get her book. Looking forward to picking up the next one! My favorite part is when the two sisters picked up weapons and started fighting alongside the men. Love to see a gutsy heroine!
Ronie
As a mother of two teens and two preteens, I found Waterfall to be a fun but clean foray into the young adult genre for Lisa T. Bergren, who handled it with a grace and style all her own. Gabriella Betarrini yanked me out of my time and into a harrowing adventure as she battled knights—and love! I heartily enjoyed Gabriella’s travel back into time,and I heartily look forward to Cascade, River of Time #2!
Small Review
Can you say *SWOON*?

I’m trying to hold back the OMG squeeeeeees here, but it’s kinda hard. You see in the description where it mentions Italian hotties? Notice how it’s plural? Oh wow is it plural! There are three guys in this book that I would risk plague and travel back in time for. Yet, delightfully, there isn’t any annoying love triangle. The main character loves her guy and sees the other two as good friends (which means I can have them then, right?)

Ah, they’re physically attractive, but th
Katie Stout
Originally, I wasn't drawn to this book. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the cover that I'm not a huge fan of. Maybe it was the fact that David C. Cook usually publishes nonfiction books like Francis Chan's Crazy Love and Forgotten God (which are both incredible, by the way!), so I wasn't sure what to expect from a YA time travel book released by them. Whatever the reason, I can't believe it held me back from such an amazing story! This is the epitome of readability, with tons of action, pretty k ...more
Cari
Apr 29, 2013 Cari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Cari by: GR friends
April 29, 2013
Just finished reading this again, and oh man! This book is so good! The entire series is good! I wish I could find more books like this.

____________
July 2, 2012
Sighhhhhh. What can I say? This book has got to be one of the best books I've read this year. Full of adventure, suspense, and of course, romance... I couldn't put it down. I am eagerly awaiting til I have the second book, Cascade, in my hands!
Cindy
I loved this story it was so much fun, and a great romance. It starts of with Gabi and Lia in Italy with there mother who is an archaeologist. They unexpectedly find themselves in the 1300's. And the adventure and romance begins. Gabi and her love interest were great the banter and one liners were so fun. My favorite quote was "You are , he whispered, uncommonly stirring." and one more was,," He was the most handsome guy I'd ever seen, with a model's physique and a face to match. Big, chocolate- ...more
Sheri Salatin
Sep 01, 2011 Sheri Salatin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheri by: Katie McCurdy
Shelves: favorites
I didn't plan on reading this book in one sitting but once I started it I couldn't even begin to put it down. WOW! What an amazing story. This is saying a lot for me because it had two things against it when I started.

Number one - I'm not a big fan of Youth Fiction

Number two - I rarely like or enjoy stories written in first person.

I think I'm going to have to stop saying that after reading this novel. The writing was absolutely AMAZING. Bergren really knows how to draw her reader in.

I had heard
A Canadian Girl
With strong characters, frequent battles, political intrigue, hot guys and a sweet romance, Lisa T. Bergren’s Waterfall is a thrilling and enchanting debut that’s impossible not to love. Marketed as Christian fiction, Waterfall actually doesn’t have a huge dose of religion within it; rather, there is the occasional reference to praying to God for example, which would not be uncommon in fourteenth century Italy.

The main character, Gabi, is no damsel in distress and knows how to wield a sword and
Panda Incognito
To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln: "For people who like this kind of thing, it's the kind of thing they'd like."

This book was not completely awful. Though I did not like it, I understand why others might. Some of the more believable plot elements are interesting, I just couldn't get past the bad writing, awful romance, stick-figure characters, and overall poor quality.

I'm not saying that no one should read it, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Here are some of my biggest complaints:

Many of the plot elem
Abbi
Review originally posted on my blog Christian Novels

Ok so it's been a little while since I read this, but I'm finally posting my review!

My Thoughts
WOW! What a great book! Honestly this has to be one of my favorite stories ever. I'm normally not into the whole time travel thing, but my sister told me it was really good so I figured I'd give it try. And am I glad I did! This book literally has it all, romance, intrigue, battles, humor, and not least of all great heroes and heroines.

Book Descriptio
Jessica at Book Sake
I like time travel books, but this is one that I love. From the moment I picked it up the writing ensnared me. I read the book over a few days, the last day covering 150 pages of it at once because I just didn’t want to put it down. While it centers around a teenage girl, I think that boys will like this story just as much. There is adventure in the form of sword play and battles along with Gabriella being trapped in a different time. (This is one that I am recommending the rest of my family rea ...more
Steph
I picked this up after multiple reviews (linked below) sang its praises. I rushed to place an order on amazon but, upon its arrival, I sat there feeling a little worried. Could it really be that good? As I soon found out, the answer was: yes, it could.

In my experience, historical fiction novels often make the big mistake of filling pages with unnecessary facts that only make my eyes glaze over. Here, however, Lisa T. Bergren expertly makes the 14th Century come alive with just enough. No doubt,
Christy
You remember when your parents always pointed out to you that "just because your friends do something doesn't mean you have to do it, too?" More specifically, I believe the correct question was, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?" Well. Dear old mom and dad just didn't know about the River of Time, and the "bridge" that took us there, did they? *wink*

Yep, I jumped off a bridge and into a book that far exceeded my expectations. I have always known that Lisa was an excepti
Logan (~Daeris the Shadow Elf Queen~)
First impressions: I actually read the first chapter, put the book down, and thought about not picking it up again. But if I have any advice it is this: KEEP READING! It doesn't take long for the story to zoom off, whether or not you're buckled in for the ride. Once I picked it up again, you practically had to pry this book from my clenched fingers.

Lasting impressions: Disgustingly good. Lisa Bergren is a diabolical plot genius who will keep you fully immersed in this world, despite bedtimes, ho
Jen (A Book and a Latte)
Originally posted on my blog, A Book and a Latte .

If you’re a fan of historical fiction and romance, then this is a must read! Lisa’s debut YA novel is fantastic. I was quickly sucked into the story and became lost in the pages to the point that I forgot I was reading. Well, you know what I mean, right? I’d look up from the book and be shocked that HOURS had passed!

There is so much to love about Waterfall – strong capable heroines, honorable knights, sword fights, and time travel! The story is
Heidi
Waterfall is the first in a trilogy of time travel romance novels. I would rate this 3.5 stars. This book has so many positive reviews I was excited to read it but I don't think it lived up to the hype. However, it is still a fun and entertaining read.
What I liked:
*The main character Gabi is a modern day 17 year old whose parents are archeologists. Thus, she has spent the majority of her young life traipsing to numerous archeological digs. This gives her an education in 14th century life which p
Melanie
Sep 11, 2011 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
'Waterfall' is the first book in 'The River of Time Series' and the first book that I've read by Lisa T. Bergren.

Since Gabi and Lia spend every summer in Italy, they find themselves bored at yet another archaeologist site. But when Gabi and her sister place their hand on a set of hand prints in an ancient tomb Gabi finds herself transported to another time...Literally! Fourteenth-century Italy during a battle between knights.

Gabi finds herself having to adjust to this strange and dated way of li
Sam
Waterfall had all the necessary ingredients and potential to become so much more that what it was, but it simply didn't come through on all accounts.

I'm going to start with the things that bothered me.

I totally enjoy fantastical things - as long as there is reasonable explanation attempted for those elements. For example, when I read novels of fantasy, such as Percy Jackson novels, I am completely prepared for crazy, ridiculous things to happen, with the only explanation being, "The gods... mad
Beth
This is the perfect summertime read or anytime for that matter! I really enjoyed it, and have to get a print copy--this isn't one that I just want on the Kindle.

The main character, Gabi, was so fun and genuine. She was a teenager without being full of angst--none of that woe is me stuff. She was very engaging, and the first-person narration was awesome.

The historical aspects were done very well. I thought Gabi's reactions to customs of the time were funny. Literally at 17, girls her age were alr
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Nov 21, 2014 08:15AM
Christian Fiction...: Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren - October 4th 25 37 Oct 29, 2014 08:09AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:59PM
Other Books Like This? 30 204 Oct 12, 2014 06:08PM
The River of Time...: Waterfall 17 22 Aug 19, 2014 08:13PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 4 Jul 01, 2014 07:09PM
The River of Time...: Waterfall discussion questions! 14 29 May 30, 2014 07:08AM
  • The Merchant's Daughter
  • Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1)
  • Clockwise (Clockwise, #1)
  • Heartless (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #1)
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • She Owns the Knight
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
  • By the Light of the Silvery Moon
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • I'm So Sure (The Charmed Life, #2)
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • Surrender the Heart (Surrender to Destiny, #1)
  • My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #1)
  • Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 40 books, with more than 2.5 million copies sold. She recently finished a teen series called River of Time (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT, BOURNE & TRIBUTARY and soon will be done with the last installment, DELUGE). She's also written the Grand Tour Series (GLAMOROUS ILLUSIONS, GRAVE CONSEQUENCES, GLITTERING PROMISES), and
More about Lisa Tawn Bergren...

River of Time (5 books)
  • Cascade (River of Time, #2)
  • Torrent (River of Time, #3)
  • Bourne & Tributary (River of Time, #4)
  • Deluge (River of Time, #5)
Cascade (River of Time, #2) Torrent (River of Time, #3) Bourne (River of Time, #3.1) Glamorous Illusions (Grand Tour, #1) Tributary (River of Time, #3.2)

11 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision that something is more important than fear.” 186 likes
“Sometimes the heart tells us to venture where the mind fears to tread.” 87 likes