Start by marking “Matched (Matched, #1)” as Want to Read:
Matched (Matched, #1)

Matched (Matched #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  459,953 Ratings  ·  28,112 Reviews
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch,
Audio CD, Unabridged, 8 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Matched, please sign up.

Dennis Good reads will not do your homework for you. Read the book.
Amber. I honestly hated it so much. sorry not sorry. The characters annoyed me and the plot just wasn't good. give it a try if you want, you might like it.

Tatiana
Dec 04, 2013 Tatiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of tepid teen romance driven novels
Recommended to Tatiana by: Annalisa
As seen on The Readventurer

First thing first. I think Ally Condie owes at least half of her seven-figure paycheck to Lois Lowry. The entire dystopian world is lifted directly from Lowry's The Giver. Almost everything interesting in Matched is very familiar - the idea of highly controlled Society (the Community in The Giver), the prearranged Matches, uniform clothing, the pills suppressing emotions, predetermination of everyone's life course, euthanized elderly, regulated personal possessions, th
Laurel
Dec 04, 2013 Laurel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy love triangles I guess
Recommended to Laurel by: My eyes
The fart was this? I just...the FART WAS THIS?!

That beautiful cover is mean. It drew me right in with its pretty lime green bubble bait of death. Can't help wanting to have some of my favorite color on my reading shelf. Hnnnnng. It said, "READ ME OR I WILL MURDER YOU FAMILY." And I bought it so it'd stop glaring at me in the teeny-bopper section of B&N.

I opened Matched, and snails came at me with their shells and antennae of slime and grime and chime and dime. SNAILS EVERYWHERE. I couldn't m
Joe
Official Transcripts

June 21, 2001 • AOL Chatroom AuthorTalk
ACondieHottie: Oh my gosh! Lois Lowry! You're actually online!
2timeNewbery: Sigh. Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: It's Ally. With a 'y'!
ACondieHottie: I can't believe u forgot! Don't u read my letters?
2timeNewbery: I've received them, yes.
ACondieHottie: Ur my favorite author! Ur books R so rad!
ACondieHottie: Especially The Giver! I love that one! It's so aweum!
ACondieHottie: Jonah's world is so neet! I want to write a book just like it!
ACond
Kiki
This book reminds me of Insidious.

I borrowed it from the library and watched it with my sister one afternoon, expecting horror greatness. I popped some corn, we bumped elbows and on it went. She grabbed a cushion for safety.

While the starting creds are up, I look at the box and say to her, "It's PG-13."

She screws up her face. "What?"

"PG-13," I say. "Look."

"Hm." She looks back at the screen, then at the creepy picture of the silhouette monster with big scary claws on the back. "Well, thirteen-ye
Inge

Wow. That was not what I expected at all. What a total snorefest. I was prepared to be blown away by the awesomeness hidden in these pages. Instead, I was so so disappointed. Such a shame, because the idea sounded amazing and I was so excited. I was expecting it to be fantastic, but unfortunately, it wasn’t. Not at all. It didn’t even come close to fantastic. Frankly, it was boring. Dull. Yawn-inducing. Every character had less personality than a paper bag. My mind kept dwelling while I
Kristi
Feb 13, 2011 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Matched drew me in with it's unique summary and beautiful cover, unfortunately that is where my fascination ended.

I wanted to like this book.... actually I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I had a very hard time getting though this novel. I even had to take a break from it completely, and I only kept reading because of the encouragement from others that had read it, insisting that it would get better. It didn't get a whole lot better for me.

I guess my biggest problem was that I was bored for mos
Emily May

Soo... basic storyline being of a society where officials decide every aspect of a person's life from the big stuff as in who they'll marry (or be 'matched' with) and when they'll die to the little stuff like what they eat, how they dress and their daily routines. The story tells how Cassia is matched to a boy but falls for another and suddenly begins to question the rules of the society, heading as she does so straight into a world of secrets and danger. Great sounding plot, am I right? Too ba
Joyzi
Jan 08, 2011 Joyzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind The Giver and The Hunger Games rip-off
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Book Review

Okay I promised I'll write an in depth review so here it is and I'll try to not put biggie spoilers. (I'm going to use Q & A style of reviewing this time)

What made you pick-up the book?
> I actually watched a book trailer in Youtube (the link to that vid was way down there somewhere) so and yeah I got intrigued by that video and then I go to goodreads and read reviews about it. I was a bit shock about the mix reviews, some was positive and some was negative. So because of it I t
karen
yeah.

this is one i might be too old for. a lot of people compare this to The Giver, and i get it, in that they are both these forced-utopias, but then, so is The Stepford Wives, yeah? but since i didn't like the giver, i can't really complain that this was a rip-off, because neither of them did very much for me, so i'm not going to go waving any flags around in either's defense. you are on your own, books...

but if i had to.

this one may have been slightly more entertaining to me because it was le
Jessica
Mar 13, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, dystopian
Everything in this book is so CLEAN! I loved that. You have to understand, I had a "thing" for utopian societies in high school. BRAVE NEW WORLD, THIS PERFECT DAY, HARRISON BERGERON . . . oh, yes! I've read them all. And what struck me about some of them was that it was supposed to be the perfect, future society, but everyone just seemed so sweaty . . . But not so in the Society. Everything is carefully sanitized. Clothes are clean, or quickly changed when they are not. The world has been cleane ...more
Flannery
This book is like a long train ride. When I first got on I was like, "Oh man, look at this train! Wow! Look at all the people! *peeping out the windows*, *looking at the scenery*." Then, after about 40 pages I was like, "You know what? This scenery is kind of repetitive. I'm getting kind of bored. Maybe I'll check out the dining car." After a little bit longer, I was second-guessing my decision to take the train at all and wondering about my sanity level. "When is this train ride going to be ove ...more
evelyn
May 31, 2010 evelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2010
So I didn't expect them to at all, but a little part of me was really hoping Scholastic would come to BEA with a stack of galleys for "Mockingjay" the way they did with "Catching Fire." Of course they didn't, they wouldn't want to ruin the end of the trilogy before it's released. But a girl can dream.

So, anyway, there was a big gap in my galley pile that could only be filled by some quality YA distopian fiction. When I went to the YA Editors' Buzz panel and heard about "Matched" I thought "Yes!
Annalisa
When I heard Condie's trilogy was being pushed as the next big thing, I instantly expected this to be cheap, tantalizing but empty, and poorly written. Is my faith in the publishing industry that low? Sadly, sometimes yes. Then I met Ally. She's adorable, down-to-earth, and not at all tainted by the buzz. Ever since, I've been anxiously trying to get my hands on an ARC of Matched. I really wanted it to be as good as her publisher thinks it is.

I sat down Friday afternoon with my friend's ARC (and
Karen
Dec 03, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for something to pass the time
Recommended to Karen by: Can't remember
Ummm... Semi-spoiler alert (is there even such a thing)?

I haven’t written a review in a long time, so forgive me if I seem out of touch.

[image error]
Let’s get started shall we?

In my opinion, the only thing worse than a horrible book, is a boring book. A book that you cannot get through without an alarmingly large number of yawns and breaks to get your daily required fix of entertainment (that the book failed to provide). Reading this book was like a chore. I didn’t enjoy it, I didn’t like it a
Kimberly
Jan 07, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads People
Shelves: dystopia, trilogy, romance
WHAT MADE ME READ THE BOOK?
It's a trailer I watched on Youtube, and I was intrigued about it.

Matched Trailer

At first, I thought it was just another best friend-loves-best friend-loves-new guy thing. I was right, but not what I expected. It got better and better as I read more.
(Note: If you think like a writer, you'll know something that might happen.)

The plot reminded me a little of Hunger Games (perfect/imperfect Society, rebellion) but it's still great.
In the middle of the book, I just then no
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
May 10, 2015 Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness by: to all hunger games lovers !
5.5 scorching soul-matched stars....

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

"I push myself hard.The words of Thomas poems so wild and beautiful that i keep reapeating them silently as i run..Do not go gentle,do not go gentle,do not go gentle,until realization hits me :There's a reason thy didn't keep this poem.

This poem tells you to fight."

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had
Misty
3 for enjoyment, 2 for substance.

Warning: I'm not sure if this turned out to be a review or a philosophical discussion, or some freaky lovechild of the two. Bear with me...

[I'm gonna go with "freaky love child." Why not? Read more HERE.]
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes I decide that a book isn’t for me based on some silly, almost non-existent reason, and then I stubbornly stick with my decision until something forces me to reconsider. In this case, I avoided Matched like the plague because the entire plot seemed to be based on a love triangle, but I was forced to change my mind when I came into possession of the audiobook. With hours of driving ahead of me, I had no choice but to give it a chance. And I loved it.

Matched is extremely character-centric
Georgina
Jan 12, 2011 Georgina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Georgina by: waterstones young readers thing
Really disliked it. I found it espcially hard to believe in her love for (insert forgotten name) as she barely knew him and all that napkin stuff was really cringy. Didn't feel for the guy at all, since all he seemed to want was for somebody to feel sorry for him. I would have prefered it if she'd fallen in love with her best friend but been given a different match. The fact that the matches were so sucessful most of the time was the biggest let down for me.
I also disliked how 'deep' we were su
Wendy Darling
I liked this well enough, but feel that it's a little slight in plot and structure; I also wasn't enthralled by any of the main characters. Overall, it's a quick, entertaining read, but not a particularly deep or memorable one. This is one of those rare occasions when the film might actually be better than the book.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Hmm. I was not so crazy about this one. It was alright, just a little ... bland, I guess?

Here's my main problem with it: Right before I read this book, I read Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I don't know which one came out first, but they have very similar plots. 1) Dystopian society in which everyone's fates are planned for them. 2) Main character is a teenage girl. 3) Girl is supposed to marry a boring guy. 4) Girl falls for another, rebellious guy instead.

Each has its own original aspects, but the
Colleen Houck
This book actually made me feel like I was the one trapped inside the bubble. I wanted to scream, "Run! Can't you people see what's happening? Don't take that pill!" I couldn't breathe until it was over. Very good writing that sucked me in and made me very grateful that I have the freedom to choose what I want to be and do.
Lissa
I don't normally talk about covers, but this one is just so perfect, if a little obvious. Cassia in the green dress she wears to her Matching ceremony, trapped in a bubble and pushing gently at the sides. Obvious, yes. Effective, yes.

Let me tell you what happens in this book.

Cassia is all set to marry whoever the Society tells her to marry. The day after her unexpected and highly rare Match to her best friend Xander she sees the portrait of another boy she knows, Ky, appear on her computer scree
Aj the Ravenous Reader

If I may be politely honest, I would have to say that this series is one of the dystopians series I liked the least. The concept of the society where everything is controlled, measured and dictated by the government is, I think a good idea. Even the main conflict, when Cassia's chip showed her the face of Ky abruptly and quickly when Xander has already been determined to be her match is fascinating and intriguing and these elements would have already been really useful tools to make a really rea
Diba
No... Just...no
Liz
Oct 19, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“I am trapped in glass and I want to break out and breath deep but Im too afraid that it will hurt.”

Cassia lives in a perfect world. The Society controls the lifes of the people. What they read, what they eat, whom they love. Everything.
In the past horrible things happened. The people lived in disorder, but the Society arranges everything now.
Cassia is happy with her life, with the Society. She does not think a lot about the rest and she does not ask herself many questions.
But only until he
✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞

description

Originally posted on Stellar Scrutiny Book Blog.

I didn't have high expectation coming into this book.This turned out to be a good thing, because I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I thought this book was going to be good...it wasn't. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this book was terrible, but it just had nothing appealingat all. If you have read The Giver by Lois Lowry, then youwould know that
Nomes
Blurbed by Melina Marchetta: 'Beautifully written with characters that stayed with me long after the final page,' and with it's stunning cover, Matched is the shiny new temptation of the season.

Okay - so I was completely PUMPED about it. I am an unashamed fan of a good love triangle - tension! drama! heart-ache-y choices! swooning! Also - a dystopian, well, it's a fascinating setting to explore all kinds of themes and deliver some twisted showdowns.

So...

Matched begins with the Matching Banquet,
Lotte
* 3.5/5 stars!
I expected a dystopia and got a love story. But at least a good one.
The aspects I normally look for in YA books of this kind - interesting world building and a fast paced plot - were non-existent in Matched. The world was a very blatant The Giver rip-off and nothing actually happened plot-wise until about the last quarter of the story. However, one aspect of this book was absolutely outstanding - the protagonist Cassia. I loved her character development, her self awareness and abil
Souma BookAddict

*2.5 stars*

“I am trapped in glass and I want to break out and breathe deep but Im too afraid that it will hurt.” Cassia

OH!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST DO IT !!!!

That was just me screaming at Cassia to lead a rebellion against oppression or just DO SOMETHING…ANYTHING. It would of made this more interesting to read.

I thought it was a pretty good book but I didn't find it great. Although, the plot intrigued me I felt that it was slow-paced and not much happened until the last 20 percent of the no
YA Buddy Readers'...: Matched Series By Ally Condie - Reading 'Matched' from April 15th 2015 362 271 Apr 19, 2016 03:28PM
Disney Movie 128 880 Apr 04, 2016 11:57AM
The YA Book Club: Team Ky or Team Xander 104 629 Feb 29, 2016 05:06PM
Let a butterfly f...: Matched by Ally Condie 1 5 Feb 22, 2016 10:43AM
Theme Projects 2016: Michaela LA Book Project 1 7 Feb 03, 2016 08:36PM
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door, #2)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • Bruiser
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Hollowland (The Hollows, #1)
  • Abandon (Abandon, #1)
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.
More about Ally Condie...

Matched (3 books)
  • Crossed (Matched, #2)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)

52 trivia questions
37 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that.” 3384 likes
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 1867 likes