Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family

Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  28 reviews
My name is Christy Jordan and I like to feed people.

I come from a long line of Southern cooks who taught me home cooking is best, life is good, and there is always something to be grateful for. I created Southern Plate so that I could share the recipes and stories that have been passed down through my family for more than nine generations.

You won't find fancy food or new-f...more
Published October 5th 2010 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published September 14th 2010)

JG (The Introverted Reader)
I am not a cook. I mean, I can cook if I have to, but I'd much rather be reading. Some of you have to relate to that.

Luckily for me, I married a man who loves to cook. So I'll sit around and read or talk to him (i.e., distract him) while he's whipping up something delicious for dinner.

Then I took a job on days while he was still working nights. I knew I was in trouble.

I was going to have to fend for myself in the kitchen. I was appalled. What had I been thinking?

Once the shock wore off, I went...more
BJ
Apr 16, 2011 BJ rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone interested in cooking in the Southern Comfort style
Recommended to BJ by: Fellow foodie challenge participant
"Southern Plate" by Christy Jordan is the quintessential cookbook for those of us who like southern comfort food the way Mom and Grandma made it. This cookbook is laid out a little differently than most. Instead of being divided into chapters according to type, appetizers, main meals, sides, etc, she divides her chapters the way Southerners eat, by season. Her chapters include, summer days and family reunions, the cooler days of fall, christmas, spring and family favorites. Summer recipes includ...more
Maralee McKee
A cookbook with as much soul in the writing as in the easy, delicious, family friendly recipes. The BEST cookbook I own. Almost all the foods I cook come from this book. Heartfelt and warm, reading the family heritage stories in the cookbook refreshes me. It's like relaxing on a swing on the back porch, sipping sweet iced tea as you wait for the oven timer to go off, knowing that you're about to gift your family with delicious foods around the family dinner tables. Foods that one day when your c...more
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
I love Christy Jordan's recipes. I've tried and loved several from her Southern Plate website. I bought the cookbook today and can't wait to try more of her recipes. Simple Southern cooking at it's finest.
Lori
Great southern recipes... like your Grandma used to make!!! Yummy!!!
Beth
When I saw this cookbook as a pick for the Okra Picks Challenge, I knew I would be purchasing it. Truth be told, I had been looking for an excuse to purchase this book. I found Christy's website, Southern Plate and I love it! What could be better than to have her cookbook on hand? This cookbook is fabulous! The recipes are ones every cook can tackle easily. I have made several recipes from the book, my favorite being Aunt Looney's Macaroni Salad. It's the perfect salad for a warm summer day. The...more
Dona
This cookbook is now on my list to purchase. Christy Jordan’s piece on “Why Your Mama is the Best Cook” by itself is worth the price of the book.

The recipes, while not exactly those our Southern grandmothers and great-aunts used, remind me of the recipes my friends, other Southern working moms, used to put meals on the table in a reasonable amount of time yet still convey sense of nurturing and caring, even in challenging times. Recipes shared among us that brought our families together around...more
Reagen
I've been reading a lot of cookbooks lately and while they all have some great items in them it was nice to finally pick one up that included a ton of recipes that could come from a regular person's kitchen and not a upscale cook/chef where I would need at least three ingredients that I can't find where I'm at and two pieces of equipment that I've never even heard of (keep in mind that I'm the daughter of a culinary trained chef). The recipes in here are eminently doable and delicious which, in...more
Lisa N
There seems to be a resurgence of southern cooking lately. This is not a cook’s cookbook and seems to be more a carry over from the 70's. Calls for lots of ingredients like cake mixes, canned veggies and soups, gelatin, mayo, can biscuits, shortening, etc. I didn’t actually try any of these recipes.

This is the first time I've ever seen a recipe for “chocolate gravy,” which was in my mother’s cooking repertoire. One of my best friends used to request this for breakfast when she slept over at our...more
Simon
My daughter bought this wonderful cookbook when she arrived in Charlotte, NC from the UK. When we stayed with her a few weeks ago, she worked through many of the recipes and fed us southern-style for our stay. She also loves this cookbook as it comes with a great feeling of warmth..... Just like so many people we met when we travelled in the US!!

I now have a copy on my Kindle app and have been enjoying reading through again. So, southern cooking makes it back to the Uk... Thanks to Christy Jorda...more
Chris
I've only made a handful of recipes so far (yum!) but I'm sure we'll get to the rest soon. The stories & descriptions were enjoyable. The arrangement (recipes divided by season rather than type of food) was a surprise but it made sense for this book.

Update: I've made a lot of the recipes and really enjoyed them. I'm sure there had to be one in there that we didn't like (isn't there always?), but I can't think which it was now. The Pecan Pie Muffins alone are worth the cost of the book.
Carrie
Oh My Goodness! Christy Jordan can cook for me any day! So many of the recipes are familiar favorites and others make me actually want to cook. And the thing I loved the most, besides the sweet family stories, is the fact that the recipes are very user-friendly...not gourmet with specialty products. She gives what she uses and acceptable cost-cutting substitutions for those on a tight food budget. Love this book!
Elizabeth St
I was admittedly one of the worst wives and mothers about cooking. Pre-Christy, as my family calls that era, I could cook maybe, maybe 5 dishes. Now I cook not only Christy's recipes, but many others. Her book has given me such encouragement. I would suggest this cookbook to anyone...north or south of the Mason-Dixon line. :) Ps - try the cheesy crockpot chicken, and the Butterfinger cake!
Chiara Rose
I just love Christy! She is so positive and so sweet. This cookbook was really great because you don't need that many ingredients, and her stories make the recipes so much better. I like how she took the time to share her heart with all her readers as she shared some of her family's heritage. I definitely suggest this, but if money is tight, check out her website southernplate.com! :)
Margarida
I loved this book, from someone from Australia, it was glimpse into a foreign land with receipes i have never seen before and no one else will have at any pot luck or dinner party.

With the focus on buying local produce and cooking with what is in season, this easily translates to produce that i can cook with. Nothing too complicated, but great tasting food
Stacy
Great recipes---really good selection of foods that I like to prepare. The coconut cake recipe is the same recipe from Ed's Maw-Maw (yes, she really does spell it that way). It's an awesome cake. And it really does taste better one or two days after you prepare it. Christy Jordan has a great sense of humor and the book was very likable. I'd buy it.
Martha
Anyone who knows how to make Hoe Cake just like my mom did, deserves 5-stars! Also, Christy Jordan knows the correct way to make Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Corn, Tea Cakes, Red-eye Gravy, Tomato Gravy, Chocolate Gravy and Milk Gravy, Homemade Banana Pudding...and more of those rare southern recipes just like Mom used to make.
Kerry Stewart
I'm a southerner at heart! I loved this book and will be purchasing a copy now that I've checked it out from the library and read it from cover to cover. I loved Christy's stories and have already made a couple of her yummy recipes that are real keepers!
TK
Aug 03, 2010 TK rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
I loved Christy's simple recipes but even more than that I loved her stories about her family history and traditions. As a Yankee who finds the South to be a complete mystery, I really enjoyed her very personal glimpse into the culture of the South.
Leesa
Fabulous book and the recipes are so easy!! I made the fruitcocktail cake for my husband and it was tasty! I loved reading Christy memories of her family and the stories behind her recipes. This is a treasure to have in my kitchen!!!
Mary Kay
I usually love cookbooks from the South, & this is a good one. Christy is a big advocate of using up whatever ingredients she puts in a dish. Also, I was intrigued to see she lists margarine, not butter, in her recipes.
Louise
Pretty good. I guess I'm too used to my own family's recipes to fully appreciate those included in this book, but if you haven't tried some of these classic Southern dishes this is a pretty good place to start.
Chelsea
Christy Jordan is absolutely charming! I love reading this cookbook as much as I love the recipes. She makes my kind of food, it's nothing real fancy but it is delicious!
Meg Dean
After reading this, I cannot tell you how much I do not miss living in the south!
Peggy
Best Southern Food Cookbook ever! The recipes I've cooked have been delicious!
Bednarzterry
Love the recipes and the family stories.
Christopher Lamb
Christy Jordan is awesome.
Come Home to Supper: Over 200 Satisfying Casseroles, Skillets, and Sides (Desserts, Too!) to Feed Your Family with Love The Southern Bite Cookbook: More Than 150 Irresistible Dishes from 4 Generations of My Family's Kitchen